Guest viewing is limited

TKR Aug 20 hard work.

I haven't slept 8 hours straight in a long time. I'm still not in my own bed. I could sleep there, but I don't want to wake Hubby with my night time prowling.
 
It’s like it feels ok. I get up and I can walk or do some stretches. Then instant it is tight again. I go put it up and ice.i hope this doesn’t go on for months
It's quite likely that swelling will go on for months, although not to the same extent as it does now.
No matter how much we wish it could be faster, this is a slow recovery and complete recovery can take as long as a full year.
 
Had to call ambulance for my husband last night, he had a reaction to the flu shot. He is ok now. But my knee sure got a work out. It is really talking to me today. Iam on couch today.
 
Had to call ambulance for my husband last night, he had a reaction to the flu shot. He is ok now. But my knee sure got a work out. It is really talking to me today. Iam on couch today.
Oh my gosh, how terrifying!! So glad they figured out what it was, and that he is OK now. Yes, you need to lie on the couch, ice, and rest, until your knee feels better.
 
How scary! I'm glad he's ok now. Just what neither of you needed right now. I hope your knee will forgive you soon.
 
Can anyone tell me when the swelling starts to go down a little. I know everyone is different but there must be a time when it starts. I feel like I have a million rubber band around my knee. I am getting very emotional. Just sitting every day
 
Can anyone tell me when the swelling starts to go down a little. I know everyone is different but there must be a time when it starts. I feel like I have a million rubber band around my knee. I am getting very emotional. Just sitting every day
:console2:
I think like most of these milestones, it varies from person to person.

Tuesday it will be 7 weeks for me. While it didn't disappear, I noticed that my swelling went down nicely during the last half of this week. I haven't had PT since last Monday when I quit, so that might be part of it. I still have the rubber bands but at least my knee doesn't look like a beach ball today and it is easier to do things. I am hoping that I may be reaching that wonderful stage when swelling starts to go down.
:yes: :yes!: :flwrysmile:

Also I read somebody's post that said a little gentle walking activity helps swelling, so I have been doing that when I think of it. Not over-exerting, though.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Well hopefully it will start to go down soon. I have cried a lot today.my husband says get it out. You go through a lot with this surgery. Hope tomorrow is a better day
 
I cried buckets in this recovery! :console2:
 
Not that iam glad you cried buckets. Iam glad iam normal. I didn’t cry like this with my first one.
 
I cry easily anyway, but it was over the top in this recovery!
 
I haven't been crying as much this round, but I find that everything, the smallest things, overwhelm me. Experience has taught me to just let go of whatever it was as soon as I feel that sense of overwhelm. But it's super hard to walk away when you're used to being a responsible, capable adult. Every. Little. Thing. sets me off right now. Its exhausting.

I found that right around week 7 my swelling just started to really improve for July. With Newbie, the knee is still quite swollen, but the rest of my leg is already improving a little, and I attribute that to my newfound ability to walk. The days I could do a few laps around the culdesac helped a lot. Then it got hot again, so I'm trapped inside. :sigh:
 
You are not alone with crying.... I have never been this way and now find just a few minutes of sobbing - sometimes not really being able to explain what brings it on - is cathartic. I’m exhausted after each breakdown and feel better for it.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
 
Don't forget that we are all on the TKR emotional rollercoaster: :good-bad:

When you feel bad, sad, weepy, and despondent, remember there is a substantial likelihood that soon you will be feeling happy, elated, and thrilled with your progress and life! Up, and down; up, and down. Plus, it won't last forever.

:flwrysmile:
 
My swelling would go down when I iced and elevated, then back up when I was back up. This went on for a few months, though slowly the amount of swelling decreased. I judge the swelling that would happen afterwards and based my activity on that. As it went down I increased my walking. At four months I hiked about a total of a mile in the mountains. But, I had taken the ice machine with me and used it each night. Just getting my life back was a thrill and still is!
 
Iam only 6 weeks. Just wondering how long this goes on. I can not remember with my other knee. This is depressing.
 
Healing can take up to a year, but you should be able to do most things you need to do by 3 months. I was still icing and elevating off and on at up to 4 months. But, my knee is different from yours. I had had 5 previous surgeries on it. Every knee is different.
 
I had my first follow up yesterday and my doctor mentioned something I'd not considered. He said that it takes 6-8 weeks for the various anesthesias to clear out of the system and that your body usually 'resets' at that point. That's what causes a lot of our brain fog and exhaustion. So take heart, I hope you'll see much improvement very soon.
 
I had my first follow up yesterday and my doctor mentioned something I'd not considered. He said that it takes 6-8 weeks for the various anesthesias to clear out of the system
Very informative!
 
Does anyone have it where you can not stand material on your incision.? It has turned cold and I have to wear shorts because I can not stand anything touching it
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom