Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Sounds like a win, @Hip Hip Hooray! Yes, I am fine thanks. My right hip, which I had done in March is absolutely fine, apart from the odd twinge and cramp, but so much better than before. I am having my left one done at the end of the year and can't wait TBH
I have resigned myself to no more running and have been spending quite a bit of time in and out of the gym cycling and walking, to build up strength and have really enjoyed it
You sound like you are doing really well too - good news :egypdance:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! yay, I'm so glad the salesman agreed to give you the lower price! That's a really good deal! :happydance:
That's interesting about the batteries for your car remote. I would have thought they would cost much more too. And a nice antique lamp too, wow you're getting some quality value shopping done this week - good for you!
Hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend!:flwrysmile:
 
Sounds like a win, @Hip Hip Hooray! Yes, I am fine thanks. My right hip, which I had done in March is absolutely fine, apart from the odd twinge and cramp, but so much better than before. I am having my left one done at the end of the year and can't wait TBH
I have resigned myself to no more running and have been spending quite a bit of time in and out of the gym cycling and walking, to build up strength and have really enjoyed it
You sound like you are doing really well too - good news :egypdance:

That's great, @PS46. How's the music going? I hope you are back to performing. The cycling and walking sounds perfect. I took a hike with my dogs yesterday and today. My hips feel stiff and in need of icing now. It's nothing major, but I always feel a reaction I add something new. I didn't realize hiking would feel different than walking. It was nice to be out in nature, and I love that I don't have any pain or limp anymore. I guess I'm just rebuilding more muscles.

Still no hot water. The pilot light only stayed on for a few hours. I've been taking cold showers. The hot water heater company has back ordered the parts. Hopefully I can get this fixed on Tuesday. I'm glad it's so hot. I don't really notice not having hot water in this weather.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, thanks to your advice I got a good price, after all. I'm still going to wait until I have enough cash in my emergency fund. I don't want to push it. (especially since I will have to pay the plumber for labor.) The parts are covered for five more years, fortunately. I think my ex boyfriend is refusing to work here, so the owner has been doing the work. I can only imagine what he told them, oh well.

I was reading about your strong legs on your thread. I'm so impressed! My muscle atrophy is much improved, but I still would like to get more toned. I did notice that my thighs are filling out my pants again. I guess the PT exercises, walking, biking, yoga and gym stuff have helped. They don't look like dancers legs, but they are getting better. I still kind of have some of that crepey skin...yuk. I never thought I would be that way. I'll keep trying.

This afternoon I trimmed two yucca trees down the the ground. They make me nervous, with my dogs. They can poke their eyes very badly on the pointed leaves. (I had to spend a lot of money on an eye surgery for a dog I had years ago because of them.) It's such a delicate balance of not doing too much exercise. I keep erring on the side of caution.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray!
Sounds like you are doing really well. I remember being told several times that full rehab can take a year or more and then conveniently putting that to the back of my mind. You are doing loads of things which I am sure would have been unthinkable pre op
Sounds like your next surgery may have to be a boiler replacement! We had to have one a couple of months ago and it has made a huge difference - not cheap though
Through gritted teeth, it must be awful to have temperatures in the early 90s - where I am in the SW of England, it reached the dizzy heights of 23 degrees yesterday!
Yes, I am back on the ukulele, which is great therapy! I'm thinking of buying another one, but haven't had the courage to open negotiations with my wife yet ...
Keep up the good work
Peter
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! that's really good that the parts are covered for 5 years. It's probably for the best that your ex-boyfriend isn't doing the work. That would probably be incredibly awkward and I don't know if I would trust him to do a good job at this point. He might try to sabotage it out of revenge (I probably watch too much TV, hahaha)

You're smart to build your emergency fund back up before joining the gym. First things first, and the emergency fund is so important. I paid $700 to an irrigator to do some work on my house a couple weeks ago. It was painful to part with that money while being unemployed but it was work I needed to get done.

Your legs will get there. It takes time. I do think using weights is the most effective means to achieve muscle tone, but as you know, we have to be careful not to overdo it.

I'm impressed with all the tree and yard maintenance that you do on your own. That is hard work. It was all I could do to change some light bulbs yesterday on some high ceilings. I had to get the ladder out and was a bit nervous because of my hips and no one to hold the ladder, but I managed. Do you have to use a ladder to trim your trees or can you do it from the ground? Be careful out there...
 
Hi @PS46. I ordered a new thermal pile assembly from American Standard. That's what the owner said I need. It's on backorder. Oh well. Patience is a virtue. I'm glad this is happening in the summer. I don't mind cold showers so much, but I do miss taking a bath. I'm glad that you are back on the ukulele. Sounds like fun.

@Hipster Girl, He always did excellent work here, but I have a feeling his girlfriend has forbidden him to return. (which is understandable.) I have an old house with galvanized pipes, so it's not easy to find a plumber. Someday I will repipe, but for now, these pipes still work really well. I'm glad you were able to get that work done. Maintenance is expensive, but it makes such a difference.

I really like the tree trimming. I am going to do the two conifers in front today. They are only about 8 feet tall, so I won't need a ladder. I have used a ladder to climb up on my roof. I was a bit nervous, but I did okay. My German shepherd was fretting as she watched me. She gets worried. It's cute. I go very slowly. I have a low roof, and my house is one story. I think I could handle a jump if I had to...Dr. Matta said I can jump, but I don't.

I read what you said about the adductor and abductor machines on your thread. That makes sense, I always feel like I need more weight on those to feel the muscles working. I figure it may take a whole year to get more muscular legs. They are ten times better than before the surgery. At that time I looked like I had cancer or some horrible disease. I was so skinny. One pair of shorts are actually too tight in the legs now, so that's encouraging. My hip flexors still get sensitive so I take it slowly and carefully. I may try doing two sets of the PT basic exercises. They really seem really to help with toning.

It's a gorgeous day today. I'm going to work in the garden and do some knitting on the porch. I love it when it's not too hot. I think I'll make a macaroni and cheese, too.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I agree, as long as the pipes are still working, no reason to spend the money to repipe. I'm a firm believer in "if it's not broken, don't fix it".

That is too precious that your dog was worried about you climbing the ladder. Pets are so protective. Very sweet.:)

That's very encouraging about your legs starting to fill out your shorts. Sounds like a big improvement. I think the two sets of PT exercises is a great idea.
Hope you are enjoying your beautiful weather. It sounds lovely to sit out on your porch and knit. :flwrysmile:
 
@Hipster Girl, Thanks. My old plumber told me that I have far fewer plumbing problems with my old galvanized pipes than many people have with their new ones. I like them.

I went to my knitting group at Panera this morning and sold $52.00 worth of soap! Everyone who has used it has been very enthusiastic. One lady there told me that she used to help package goat's milk soap for bed and breakfasts. A woman in this area has a huge mail order business making guest soaps. I might go check out her farm. I might even buy a goat of my own someday. We are zoned for them here. Who knows...

I called back my old plumber and told him about the water heater problems. He told me that he doesn't even sell that brand because they break down constantly. I am going to buy a new one. I filed a complaint with the company and may try to collect in Small Claims Court.

I need to go buy more soap racks. I've got to up my production.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that doesn't surprise me what the plumber said about the pipes. It is so true what they say: "they don't make things like they used to".

Congratulations on the $52 sale - that is great! That's great that you have connected with others who make soaps as well. I didn't realize that was so popular but it does sound like a fun and creative pastime, and a good way to make some income.

That would be wild if you got a goat.:) How will your dog react, do you think?

That's a shame about your water heater. What brand is it, if you don't mind saying?

I have to get ready for a phone interview in about 1/2 hour. I put in some applications on the 4th of July and got a response to one of them that they want to do a phone interview this morning.

Hope you have a great day!
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Thanks. I sold $38.00 worth of soap the next day, to my neighbors. I really have the feeling that this will grow. It's a lot of fun. I just received my order of raw shea butter in the mail. I'm excited to make a recipe I have for shea butter soap. I just made a batch of creme soap. This recipe got rave reviews.

The parts arrived for my water heater, and I found a plumber who will fix it. I was going to replace it, but it's way too expensive. The labor for the repair will cost me about $150.00. The last time I did this, it lasted another 11 months. The parts are still covered, so I'll do it. It's an American Standard. It's supposed to be an excellent water heater.

Yesterday I set up my Etsy shop. It's called Pink Cottage Soaps. I am really excited about it. It's incredible what you can do on line these days. It makes your home look like a store. I uploaded several photos, and wrote in a shop story and some descriptions. You can also get a website through them. It's a lot of fun. Very creative. Etsy gets 3% of your sales.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! your soap business definitely does seem to be taking off - you must be thrilled!

I love the name Pink Cottage Soaps - that is perfect! Is the website up? I will have to check it out. I'm not familiar with Etsy - what is that?

That sounds like the smart decision to extend the life of your water heater and well worth the $150 for labor.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, He's here right now doing the work. I like this guy. I have a much better feeling about him.

Etsy.com is a website where you can sell crafts and handmade items. If you go to their website, you can look up Pink Cottage Soaps. If you click on "shop" it will take you to my store. I also shared it on my Facebook page. (That might be easier.) I'm glad you like the name. I do, too.

Congratulations again on the new job. I'm so happy for you!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Is it fixed? Do you have hot water again?

I just looked at your Etsy page via Facebook - it looks great! I love what you wrote about how you became a soap maker. That short summary showcases your excellent writing skills.

I think this new career path is going to work out very well for you. I'm very happy and excited for you!
 
Yes, @Hipster Girl. I finally have hot water again. Phew! This plumber was great! He was so fast and efficient. He fixed the problem in about twenty minutes. He also snaked my clogged pipe in the kitchen. I feel much better, now that those things are fixed. I took a nice hot bath and washed my hair with my shampoo bar. It sure feels better than all of those cold showers I had been taking. I told the plumber that I haven't had hot water for two weeks. He told me that his wife would have said, "We're staying in a hotel." I laughed. That's not in my budget, and I have two dogs. He said they could have gotten the parts from the supply house, but that they would have cost $59.00. I didn't want to pay extra money when the parts were still covered.

I'm glad you found my Etsy page. Thanks for the encouragement. I have a good feeling about it. I'll feel better once my soaps on the racks have cured and I can start selling on line. Several friends "liked" the page, though. (which was nice.) Technology is really helpful now in business. I'm going to make a video, too.

I also found a free download for making soap labels. I got it through one of the companies where I order my supplies. I worked on typing in the information on the labels this morning. I'm going to go to the library tomorrow and print them. They let you print several pages there each day for free.

Life is good. New hips, new work, and lots of great creative soap recipes. You must be feeling so much better, now that the pressure to find a job has lifted. Hope all's well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
That's such good news @Hip Hip Hooray! about the water heater being fixed. I have no idea how you managed with the cold showers for two weeks. I'm sure the hot bath had to feel wonderful after all that!

I really liked your Etsy page. I thought it was cute the photo and caption of Lana guarding the soaps. :)
And your vintage kitchen with that awesome pink fridge..... (drool) :)

That is so cool about the soap labels. I'm curious - do you use Word or another program to make the labels?
That's great that your library lets you print some for free. Our library charges us for every page. I have gone there to use their printer to print resumes and I've probably spent $30 so far....not a tremendous amount but still an expense nonetheless.

You are right; I definitely feel better now that the pressure has lifted. The other company I had a phone interview messaged me yesterday that they will be in touch for the next round of interviews so I am debating whether to go through with it just for the additional interviewing experience, or just tell them outright that I am accepting another position. It might be interesting to see how I do on a job interview where there is literally zero pressure because I know I already have a job lined up. I plan to go on at least 1-2 interviews a year just to stay somewhat fresh in case I am ever in this position again. I was so incredibly rusty when I started this process.
 
Oh, that's great, @Hipster Girl. It's so much easier to get a job when you have a job. I always did that as a performer. You can just relax and be yourself when there's no pressure.

I used Word to make these soap labels. They are cute and simple. We are lucky that our library doesn't charge for copies. I think you are allowed to print two color copies per day, and ten or twenty black and white. It really saves me money. That's too bad your library charges you for copies. Ours is a city library. That may have something to do with it. Those cartridges are expensive. Mine kept drying up, so I stopped using them. Our library is only a few miles from my house.

Time to walk the dogs, ride the bike, and get crackin'! Have a great day.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! you're right - the cartridges are expensive. Sounds like the library will be a big help and convenient to where you live. Do you bike to get there?
 
Not anymore, @Hipster Girl. I would have to ride on a busy highway for a few miles to get there. It makes me too nervous. There have been several accidents in this area, so I drive. I can take the bus, and put my bike on the bike rack that is on the front of the bus. I did that when I was car free. I'm lucky in that I'm just a few miles from the post office, supermarket, library, pharmacy, etc. It's so convenient. I agree, I will be using the library a lot with this business. Computers are a big help, too. It's nice to be able to do so much from home.

We have about three hundred miles of bike paths in our city. Many of them are separate from cars, so it's nice. I'm going to start taking advantage of them again. I'm eager to hear about your bike riding with your new job!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that is a great option to take the bus and put your bike on the bike rack. Public transportation is so convenient. I'm glad you are close by to everything. That will help so much with your new business venture. The bike paths sound like so much fun!

I read about your troubles with your water heater. Are you without hot water again? I'm glad you wrote that review about that particular brand so that others are warned. I feel so bad you are having to go through all that expense and frustration, and I hope it finally gets resolved very soon!
 
Back
Top Bottom