Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hi @Hipster Girl, Thanks. Yes, I am without hot water again. I'm not going to spend any more money fixing this one because it's a money pit. I will replace it, and probably will have to take the first plumber to Small Claims to collect. I've documented everything, and will see if he agrees to settle.

The good news is, I renewed my membership at the gym today and got to do a workout. It felt great. It was fun to see all of my old friends in the jacuzzi. One of the ladies there had both of her knees replaced (at the same time,) six months ago. She is doing really well.

I made a donation here yesterday, and am going to start putting more time into my business. Thank you to everyone, (especially Hipster Girl!) for you support and kindness. I am almost 11 months post op, and am thrilled with the healing. I wish everyone here the best in their recovery. Feel free to pm me if you want to chat...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I hope for a positive outcome for you on the water heater situation. I can only imagine how exasperating it has been and you deserve to be compensated for your time and trouble.

Yay on renewing at the gym! I'm so glad you were able to get that great deal on your membership and are able to start going again since I know you really enjoy it. I'm sure your jacuzzi buddies are happy you are back! :)

I'm glad you mentioned the donation. Now that I have a job lined up, I am going to donate as well. This site is so valuable and I want to see it continue to help others. I truly don't know how I would have made it through this process without it. No one can understand this process except someone who has been there themselves. :yes:
I just know your business is really going to take off and look forward to hearing how well it is going.:flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - I was happy to see you renewed your gym membership. It seemed to have been a good place for you to go workout, relax in the jacuzzi and socialize as well.

I'm sorry about the water heater. You've put a lot of money and energy into it and it's let you down again. Good luck finding an excellent new one - and also with your case against the first plumber.

It's exciting to hear how your soap business is taking off. It must be fun to see how happy your soaps make people. I'm glad they are reordering.

I read about how your legs had gotten skinny before the surgery. I also had that happen and I couldn't understand why I couldn't get muscles on them, even though I was walking and working out. I thought it was genetics or age or something. I have more muscles on them now and it is a relief. I still have a ways to go, but such an improvement! I still don't really understand that - you'd think if your hips weren't working correctly, your leg muscles would get stronger to compensate...? :what: Anyway, I'm glad your legs have filled out as well since the surgery.

I finally made a donation today to BS and wanted to catch up a bit. I particularly wanted to wish you all the best with your new business! Hope you're having a wonderful weekend. :SUNsmile:
 
Thanks @Hipster Girl. I ordered the new water heater. It's funny, after having both hips replaces, I'm seeing that this isn't that big a deal. It's not worth me stressing over it. I've been enjoying the gym, and taking a jacuzzi there. I started using a kickboard in the pool. It feels great. I'm doing the machines, too. I can see that my leg muscles are improving.

@Readysetgo, Thank you for the encouragement with my business. I just sampled the goat's milk soap, and it is fabulous! It's really fun to try the new varieties. My customers are really enthusiastic, which is nice. I have almost 100 bars made. It feels good to be building a stockpile for the Holidays.

I hope everyone here is healing well.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I just mentioned something similar in another thread about how after having both hips replaced, it changes our perspective and we don't seem to sweat the small stuff anymore. I am having issues with my A/C unit and it is time to replace it, but, like you with the water heater, I am calm about it and just going to get it done.

I'm glad to hear your leg muscles are responding well to the weight machines. What is a kickboard in the pool and how does that work?

100 bars, wow, you have built a nice little stockpile of soap there. It's hard to think about the holidays when it is so hot out but you are smart to plan ahead because they will be here before we know it.

@Readysetgo you make an excellent point that before surgery, if our hips aren't working correctly, our leg muscles should have gotten stronger to compensate. That one is puzzling for sure. I know I wasn't able to do much and was using very minimal weight - like 10 -15 lbs - but my legs had gotten very out of shape from being so sedentary. I never thought I would see muscle tone again but it is definitely coming back.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, The kickboard is just a blue board that helps you float. You hold on to it with your arms, and kick your legs. It feels great, and is good exercise. My legs feel so much lighter in the pool. I did some laps of the breast stroke, too.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with your AC in this hot weather. I hope you get everything squared away soon with the new unit.

My legs really shrunk before the surgery. The bones had moved outward. You can clearly see it on the x-rays. The nerves weren't firing properly, even though I was going to the gym every morning. So much of it is where your bones are. My pelvis was also out of alignment.

It's great that you see the muscle tone returning. I'm seeing that, too. It's taking longer than I expected, but the progress is there. Hope you are doing well and staying cool.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! the kickboard sounds fun and I can see how it would be great exercise.

That's great that your muscle tone is returning. It does take a little while but good to know you are making progress.

I had my A/C unit checked out and it wasn't making the noise when the technician came out (of course) so I haven't gotten it replaced yet. I hope it will hang in there about another 60 days, then we should be done with the hot weather. I'd like to wait and replace the unit in the spring if possible.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I hope you A/C unit will last. It's too bad it stopped making the noise when the technician came out to your house. 60 days isn't that long...

Last night my knees started aching. It kind of freaked me out...my hips feel fabulous. I just hope and pray that I don't have arthritis in my knees. I ate a ton of sugar yesterday, so I'm hoping that might be part of it. (2 popsicles, and a Haagen Dazs ice cream bar.) I also had added some leg work to my home yoga and pilates routine. (only 8 reps.) I'm hoping if I backtrack and stop that, the knees will be fine. I was trying to improve the muscle tone in my thighs, but I don't want to overdo it. I think the joints really change after menopause. I've got to drop the vanity and stick to what keeps my body pain free.

I met this man in the jacuzzi at the gym who also had his hip replaced. (three years ago.) He is back playing tennis. He told me his is beating the 20 year olds. He was bad mouthing Dr. Matta which I didn't like. He went on and on about how great his surgeon was. It's weird how competitive people can be. He acted like he wanted to ask me out, but I was put off by how he dismissed my surgeon and the anterior technique. Yuk. Funny thing was, he asked me how my knees were. After that, they started to bother me. They're okay during the day, though. I remember this happened when I tried ballroom dancing in heels. Once I stopped, so did the pain. So, I am hoping to do the right thing. It's such a balancing act.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! oh no about the knees! Hopefully it was just the power of suggestion from what the guy at the jacuzzi was saying. I'm not sure he should be playing tennis, great surgeon or not, that is really hard on the joints. Sounds like maybe he was trying to impress you since he was acting like he wanted to ask you out. He sure didn't go about it the right way, did he? It's odd how competitive some people can be. Oh well, at least he made your time at the jacuzzi more entertaining :snork:
 
Hey hipster, have a question... Did you have trouble raising your knee forward in the 1st few months? For instance putting pants on... Lifting your leg up to put in the pant leg? I find that standing straight I can lift my leg for exercises, but slightly bent over I have trouble with my left. Balance is off to. Seems odd....
Thanks
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, He's very intense. I was that way with my dancing...always pushing my body too hard. His legs look very strong and muscular. I think for a lot of athletes, it's hard to give up that sleek, toned body. I'm slowly finding a way to have it without forcing or re-injuring myself. I just work the basics.

@pipster2, Did you mean to tag me or Hipster Girl? I know that I never did any marches or exercises to get that knee up high. It just felt wrong to me. That position is where I can feel the implant. I have been able to get my pants on without trouble. I don't really remember how long it took. I probably held on to a piece of furniture or my walker for a while. I think it will just take time. Once your legs get stronger, it makes a big difference. Ab strength will return and help everything, too. Congrats on your bilateral!
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray!
I was catching up on your thread and saw that you opened an etsy shop. My daughter has had a shop there for a few years and sells vintage clothing. I know how it takes awhile to get it going (buyers like to see some good reviews), so I purchased a bar of soap from your store. Your shop is adorable and I can't wait to try out the soap I purchased. :-)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I think you are right. It's good that you are listening to your body and not forcing anything.

@pipster2 I make sure I'm sitting when putting pants on but I still have some trouble with my right side. Same with tying my shoes. I think I waited too long to have surgery and that was my worst side BY FAR so I don't think I'll ever have the range of motion I could have had if I had had my surgery sooner. But it's still much better and the pain is gone so I don't worry about it too much.
 
Dear @Cynthia777, That is so nice of you. Thank you! You are my first Etsy customer and you made my day. I'll have to check out your daughter's store. You are right about customers wanting to read good reviews.

I am going to catch up on your thread, as well. We've come a long way in a year, haven't we? It's amazing to see how everyone has healed. I am still in awe.

I'll be shipping that soap to you tomorrow a.m.!!! Hope your hips are doing well.

@Hipster Girl, I think I might have sat down, too. I can't really remember. I wore sundresses because it gets so hot here. Nightgowns and sun dresses for quite a while. It's all a blur.
 
I'm excited to try the soap! Yes, we have come a long, long way and boy has the trip been worth it! I find it so emotionally healing to take a few moments once in awhile and reflect on the journey that's behind me!!!! Knowing that I'm not looking forward to surgery is the best feeling ever! :-)
 
I just wanted to post an update, since I had my one year follow up visit with Dr. Matta yesterday. His asst. tested my range of motion and strength. I haven't been working on my range of motion, just doing yoga gently and not forcing anything. She said that it was at 20% before surgery, and now it's at 30%. My leg goes much further out to the side. I guess those numbers are pretty low, but I have no pain and I feel great. I'm not going to worry about it. My gut feeling is not to force it. I can easily tie my shoes, put on my shoes and socks, pick up dog poop, and get on and off my bike.

She said that my strength was a 5 out of 5. Even before the surgery it was a 5 out of 5. For some reason, the strength has been what I intuitively feel is more important. I'm able to use the machine again at the gym, which I like.

I asked Dr. Matta if he thought these hips could last me for the rest of my life, if I don't do anything foolish. He didn't really answer directly, but told me that it's good to stay active. He said that they can go a long way. I told him that some of my dancer friends are able to do the splits, and he was impressed. It feels wrong to me to push that way, though. (for my body.) It feels unsafe, so I don't do it.

He also said that on the xrays you could see that I had a lot of osteoarthritis. He thinks there was some childhood hip dysplasia. He said that my hip sockets are shallow. I had always felt like there was something wrong with my hips that made me very inflexible and rigid. I struggled in dance classes. I was always the stiffest, by far. He seemed surprised that I had been able to do the splits as a dancer, and I told him I had to work twice as hard to get there. I never understood why I was so inflexible.

All in all, I feel very fortunate with my outcome and surgical experience. Thank you to everyone here who helped me and answered my thread. The support I received was invaluable. My gait is perfect, and my legs are exactly the same length. I am now no longer terrified of hospitals, doctors, or surgery.

I gave Dr. Matta a card and a bar of soap, and he gave me a hug. "Thank you," he told me. "I'll use the soap." I stopped off at the hospital and left cards and soap for the nurses, too. I wish I remembered all of their names. They were so kind and helpful. Such a huge shift compared to last year!
 
Wonderful update! I think you are very wise with your approach to your rehab.
I love reading people's 1 year updates.
I just had a thought, are you affected by those horrible fires? My cousin lives in Carmel and said the smoke and ashes were pretty significant.
I can't imagine that you would need your hip replacements replaced! I don't remember, what prosthetic did they use for you??
 
@Hip Hip Hooray - Happy one year anniversary to you and your new hips! And what an excellent update, too. You are in great shape! Your OS is so thorough and explains so many things. (Neither of my surgeons did. ) You seem to have a very good relationship with him. How wonderful. I bet he loves your soap, too.

I hope you are not in the way of those fires and are safe and sound.

Wishing you a continued marvelous recovery and many more wonderful adventures in the next year with your soap making and flourishing creativity!
 
Hi @CricketHip, Thanks for the message. The first fire was close, but we were okay. I will answer more later. Am in the middle of a repipe on my house.

Hi @Readysetgo, Thanks for your encouragement. I agree, my recovery has been excellent. I feel very fortunate. I'll leave a longer message soon. Take care...
 
@CricketHip and @Readysetgo, I'm sorry I forgot to come back and answer your posts. The repipe is all done, and my hot water heater is excellent. What a relief! I forget the name of my hip, @CricketHip. I think it's a Dupuy sp? with a poly liner. I have a ceramic hip and a titanium stem. I have it written on this thread somewhere.

@Readysetgo, Those fires were close, but we were okay. It was really intense. This rain we've been having is wonderful. Yes, Dr. Matta and I had a great mental connection. I love doctors. I can relate well to them. He's also such a good teacher, and I taught for thirty years. I love teachers, too.

I decided to go to a ballet class on Friday. It felt like I was becoming senile, which I don't want. Ballet is so good for the mind. There was a master guest teacher from Russia teaching. It was a really good class. I feel so much more like myself again. I would like to go regularly, but I'm not going to do anything that causes strain. I'm basically just marking it. No jumps or forced hip rotation. I dance like I'm 85, and teaching. It was still really fun. I felt younger and happier after being around the young dancers. The live music was uplifting, too.

I also am able to tap dance now. That was my first love. I do it really lightly. I don't want to jar anything, so I don't stomp or stamp. It feels great. So freeing and expressive. I'm learning a piece of choreography by Gene Kelly danced to Frank Sinatra. It's perfect. He did it when he was older, and so was Frank. Nice and Easy Does It is the name of the song, which I think is appropriate. (after this surgery.) I was invited to an audition in February. I'm working on the material.

I am still doing yoga and pilates at night before bed. It feels really good. I don't have any pain. I've made a conscious effort to only be around positive people, and to avoid negativity and pressure to follow the crowd. I was just rereading some of my thread, and it was fun to remember everything. Everyone here was so nice and helpful. Thank you again for all you have done. I wish everyone and healthy and happy recovery!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom