Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray! - Your yard and house must be glowing by now with all the hard work you've been putting into them! Maybe post a photo or two if you get a chance?

And what a good and generous neighbor you are. So nice of you to give your walker to the lady who really needed it and your soaps to the woman whose daughter has skin problems. I hope your neighbor with the back surgery can get to the gym. Sounds like it would really help her.

You must be excited planning your trip to NY. Travel can be so uplifting, especially when you get to see old friends.

Have fun with your ballroom dance lesson! What a great idea! It's odd - I haven't done any dancing since my surgeries. I think it's time for that soon, even if it's just around the house or with the kids I work with. I also need to get on my bike again, too. I think I'm worried getting on and off won't be any easier so I keep putting off trying. But I think it would feel freeing. My range of motion is so much better. No problem putting on shoes, etc. now. I'm also happy that I can walk for long periods without pain. Such a joy. Sometimes I can't believe it's really true!

I hope you have a wonderful weekend. I'm interested to hear how the ballroom dancing goes! :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, My neighbor doesn't do the PT on her own. I think she's the kind of person who needs a class or a teacher. She was doing so much better when she had PT. I hope she finds something to strengthen her muscles. I could see she was in a lot of pain.

The ballroom dancing private was fantastic! I asked for a Russian teacher, and I got a really sweet guy named Andrey. He's beautifully trained, and I felt a great connection with him. He talked to me about my hips, and said that he doesn't want me doing any of the Latin dances yet. He started with the Waltz, which I love. The hips are still, and it's just footwork and nice upper body. The ballet training really helps. I'm going back tonight for my group lesson. If I had the money, I would sign up to take classes every night. I just love it! But, I'm on a budget, so I have to watch what I spend. I wasn't sore today, just tired. I think it took more energy than I realized. So, I took a nap before working on my writing. The people there are really nice. I'm excited to try the social dancing, too. This is something that I've always wanted to learn...the teachers are all young and cute. Makes me feel like I'm in my twenties!
 
Hi @Readysetgo, I think you'll be surprised at how easy it is to get on and off of your bike. I was. I've been riding a short distance with my dog every morning. I had to stop before my surgery, too.

I absolutely love the ballroom dancing. I think it's going to somehow become a new career direction with me. It feels very natural, and I like the people. It also attracts very successful types, which I like. The owner of the studio did five seasons on Dancing With the Stars. She's just gorgeous! They seem pleased to have a professional dancer as a student. It makes it easier for both of us. I'm excited to go back tonight!

I hope you are doing well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! the ballroom dancing sounds so fun! I'm glad it went as well as it did and that you weren't sore. :yes!:

I love the Waltz - it's a beautiful dance. I can't dance but I dance vicariously through watching Dancing with the Stars. I'm curious who the owner of the studio is, I will have to look her up. I am not watching this season only because I have been so busy but I almost never miss a season. When you said Russian dancer, it reminded me of Max and his brother on DWTS - I'm drawing a blank right now on his brother's name.

What dance did you do in the group class? How often do you plan on going back?

@Readysetgo I also had a very hard time getting on/off a bike for quite awhile after surgery but now I can do it no problem. When I went on my job interview yesterday, I saw they have company bikes for people to go from one building to another because the campus is so huge. It occurred to me I never could have done it last year but now, if I get this job, I think it would be a blast to get on one of those bicycles and ride on over to another building. :SUNsmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! The waltzing sounds just gorgeous. It's such a lovely, graceful dance. I'm glad you are enjoying the class so much. So much difference from where you were this time last year! :yes!:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, So far I've done the waltz and the rhumba in the group classes. Last night I went to one of their social dances. They have plenty of partners and teachers there. They keep everyone dancing the whole time. I kind of wanted to sit down and rest, but any time I did, someone would come and ask me to dance! One young guy had me doing a dance they call the hustle. It's totally different than the hustle we did in the 70's. It's more like crack the whip. It's fun, but we were going so fast...I felt like I was on a roller coaster. Finally I said, "I should probably tell you that I have had both of my hips replaced." You should have seem the horror look of horror on his face. He stopped dead in his tracks. He was really cute. What a wild dance that was. Kind of like driving a race car.

I wore this really pretty white dress that I bought for auditions. It's very vintage looking. Off the shoulders and gathered on the sides. It fits like a glove. It seemed to freak a couple of people out, but I don't care. I love dressing up. You just feel better. One of the owners asked me if I was going to a wedding. I told him that it's generational. (I don't like sarcasm.) It seems like many people look down on wearing nice make-up, a pretty dress, high heels, and styled hair. I'm still doing it. I always seem to get a couple of snide comments when I do. Oh well. That's their problem. Most of the people were really nice. I prefer taking the classes, though. I like the structure, and dancing on the music. It's hard for me to dance off the music. I just pretend I'm a child. Too many years of teaching and trying to be perfect.

I struggled with putting buckling my ballroom shoes in that tight dress. A few of the men offered to do it for me, but I wrestled my way through it. Next time I will put my shoes on first, in the bathroom. That's what I used to do when I was in a show. I put the costume on last. I plan on taking classes 3 times a week. (at least for June.)
 
@DeepBreath, Boy, that's for sure! I am just amazed at all I am doing. I feel so much healthier and happier. It's such a relief to be strong and out of pain.

How are you doing? I hope all is well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! the social dancing sounds like it was so much fun, especially the Hustle dance, that sounds like a blast! I know you said it wasn't the same as the Hustle from the 70's but that was fun too. It sounds like your hips did amazingly well despite how fast it was. :)

Your dress sounds so pretty. I wouldn't worry about any rude remarks from others when you dress up - they're probably just jealous. I read that article you posted about how people used to dress up for everything including going on a plane or to the store, and I do remember that. My grandmother used to do that. I think it's so nice when people take such care with their appearance. I really wish I could dress up more. I have problems with my feet so I can't really wear heels anymore without being in agony, so I don't wear dresses much anymore. I used to love to put on a pretty dress and heels. I think especially with an elegant dance like the Waltz, a nice dress is more appropriate than a pair of jeans and sneakers.

I don't blame you for not accepting help from the guys on putting your shoes on. I think that would make me a little uncomfortable. Glad you were able to do it yourself.

I can understand about liking the structure of the classes. I'm so excited for you that you will be taking 3 classes a week - it sounds like your June is going to be jam packed full of fun!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I thought it was sweet of the guys to offer to help me with my shoes, but I felt too self conscious to have them doing that in front of everybody. I just need to put them on in the bathroom. I'm stiffer after the class or dance. It's slight, but affects my buckling skills. Following is still a little bit stressful for me, so I'm going to focus on learning technique for now.

I went to another Waltz class last night, and it went really well. There were a couple of nice men there. They seem to relax and do better with me, I could tell the teacher noticed. I can feel what will help them, since I taught dance and yoga for so long. I can cover up a misstep, and they appreciate it. Maybe I'll be able to do some assisting once I know what I'm doing.

I met this really nice woman who also takes classes there. She's so sweet. She's doing really well. One of the women who works there gives me major attitude. She acts very threatened. A couple of the women seem extremely insecure and competitive. I love doing this, and I'm not going to let them spoil it for me. I'm there to learn a new skill, and develop to my fullest. I try to focus on the positive people. It seems like the perfect exercise for my hips, too.
 
The dancing sounds like so much fun! I would love to do that. Good for you getting out!!
Thanks @StaceyJG1. I went to NYC a few days ago for a memorial. I had a wonderful time visiting friends. It was so nice to be able to fly across the country, and not have my legs ache. I met some really sweet women on the plane. We had great conversations. They felt like old friends. It's nice to know that I can travel in my "old age." I no longer feel arthritic. I feel healthy and strong. I still practice caution, though. I keep my hips square, and I don't lift anything heavy. Moderation...

I hope you are doing well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! The social dance classes seem perfect for you! I have a hard time posting on BS lately. Life has been a bit hectic. But I have been thinking about you and hoping that the classes were going well. I was happy to read you're thinking of assisting because I was sure you'd be teaching those classes eventually if you wanted to. Keep connecting with the positive people there. No more of that negative knitting ninny energy!

It's great you had a good experience travelling across country and at the memorial for your friend. So wonderful to be free of pain! We are going to a family reunion this weekend. It's a 5 hour drive away. Pre- THR's, I would have dreaded all that sitting in a car. I may still have a bit of stiffness after 5 hours but nothing like that pre-op pain. We're planning to stop for a nice lunch and walk around to break up the trip.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend! Keep dancing! :egypdance::flwrysmile:
 
Yaay for the smooth travels and no aches, @Hip Hip Hooray! :) I hope the memorial experience was okay for you and that you got to reconnect with friends. *Hugs*

Hi @DeepBreath, The memorial was lovely. He was such a talented, exceptional man. Chita Rivera sat a few seats away from me. She did Sweet Charity on Broadway with Jack, and he was also her vocal coach. I've always admired her. I got to see some old friends. It was kind of sad to see people hobbling. Most of the people there were in their 80's. It makes me aware of how I need to prepare for the future. I don't want to over do with these hips. They've got to last me a long long time!

It was exciting to visit NY and to have dinner at Joe Allen's. I rarely eat out, and the meal was delicious. I shared it with an old friend that I did a few shows with in Europe. The prices were good, and the food was excellent! He commented on how nice it was to see me walking well again. He said, "You were walking like an old lady the last time I saw you." (It's true. At the 42nd Street reunion, I was struggling. I had to nap a lot just to make it to the reunion.) He had walked me home. (to my hotel.) "Get that checked," he said. He could see I needed my hips replaced. (Everybody could.)

My flight was cancelled from Newark to Burbank. I was able to get on a flight from La Guardia instead, which saved me a ton of money in cab fare. I took a bus for $14.00. I met a really nice mom in her thirties and her darling baby on the flight home. We had a great chat. Traveling is so much fun...
 
Hi @Readysetgo, I think you'll be fine for the five hour car ride. I drive about six hours to visit my dad now, and it's no problem. Before the surgery, I couldn't do it. I was in too much pain. I took the train. It's amazing how much easier it is to do all of these things once you have healed. I hope you enjoyed the reunion. I'm sure your relatives will be pleased to see how much better you are walking and feeling. The lunch sounds nice, too.

I'm enjoying the dancing, but I'm not going to push it. The teacher was trying to get me to rotate my hips more for the Latin class. I told him that I need to see how I feel the following day. I don't want to risk dislocating. The reason I needed this surgery is because I forced my turnout for so many years. He backed off.

Today I'm enjoying being in my cottage, and nesting. I made a nice beef stew, and some blueberry bread. I cooked a fresh batch of hummingbird nectar, and refilled the feeder. It feels good to be home. A big truck almost hit me on my way to that ballroom class the other night. God, was that scary! LA traffic is intense. People drive SO fast, and it's hard to merge when I change freeways. The cars speed up, and it scares me. I'm not sure I'm going to go that often to these classes. I just don't want to take too much risk. I'm so happy with my results from this surgery. I want to protect them.

I'm still doing yoga at night. It feels fabulous. I will do some light weights at the gym tomorrow. Nothing too strenuous. I hope everyone else is healing, and doing well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm so glad your trip to NYC went smoothly and you were able to reconnect with friends while you were there. It's wonderful to hear your hips felt good and strong during the long trip. It's nice when people you haven't seen for awhile comment on the night & day difference since the last time they saw you. It's such a good reminder of how far you have come through this process.

Sounds wonderful to be home nesting after your trip. I'm glad you are okay after that scare with the truck,whew! I am not familiar with LA traffic but have heard the same from a friend of mine who lives there.

Good for you setting boundaries regarding rotating too far with your hips during the dances. You have been great about listening to your body. People who haven't had THR don't quite get that there are still some limitations.

Sorry to hear there are some Negative Nelly's at your classes. They're everywhere it seems but it's really a shame - especially someplace that people go to have FUN! You are smart to focus on the positive ones. That would be great if you can end up assisting with the classes! I have a feeling that will happen. :)

@Readysetgo thinking of you and hope you are having a fabulous time with family this weekend! :flwrysmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Hipster Girl, I've been thinking about you, and wondering what happened with your last interview. It sounded very promising.

My right knee started to ache yesterday, and I'm not sure why. I was going to go take a Waltz class tonight, but when I tried walking in the heels, it hurt, so I stayed home. I do not want any knee problems! I've seen other dancers who have had their hips replaced go back to dancing and end up with deformed, arthritic knees. It scares me. My grandma had the worst case of arthritis in her knees that I've ever seen. They were both shaped like sideways u's. She had them both replaced. I took a Motrin this morning and one this evening. It worked. I think the pain might have been caused by a Kundalini Yoga set that I did a couple of nights before I felt the pain. It involved a lot of sitting and moving from the cross legged position. I guess I should do those things in a chair. Live and learn. It didn't hurt at the time. (at all.) I'm icing it regularly, too. I love ice. It's so healing.

I crocheted a little bag for my soap scraps. It's cute. I made a new soap recipe the other day. This one is 100% coconut oil with 20% superfat. It's supposed to be a very hard bar, and excellent for hard water. It smells divine. My brother ordered some soap from me for he and my dad. So sweet of him. I feel weird taking his money, but he and his wife each make $100,000. a year, so I don't feel bad. They can afford it, and I think they'll like the soap. I am still crazy about it. I actually get excited to wash my face with it. My skin just feels so good...

I hope everyone here is doing well with their recovery. Take care...
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I hear ya on the knee problems. I'm glad the ice and Motrin helped. I think you did the right thing sitting out your Waltz class until your knee feels better.

Your crocheted bag sounds really cute. That was nice of your brother to order some soap for Father's Day. I keep forgetting Father's Day is right around the corner.

I updated my thread - I did not get the job. I'm surprised only because of the over-the-top positive feedback I had gotten. But the group I interviewed with recommended me to another department so I have another chance with this company but have to start the interview process all over again. I need to stay positive and not get down but it is getting increasingly difficult so I have all these sayings in my mind to stay encouraged like "nothing worthwhile is every easy", " "nothing is given; everything is earned", etc. I just gotta keep at it...
 
Back
Top Bottom