Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray! the body is certainly a fascinating thing, isn't it? The way one part relates to another that you wouldn't immediately put together is amazing to me.
Good for you for unfriending that Negative Ned on Facebook. Who needs that kind of mess? That's something I love about Facebook. You can unfollow, unfriend, or even block people if the need arises. I have thought before that I wish 'real life' worked like that. :wink: Push a button and 'bye-bye', no more having to deal with unpleasantness.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Thank you. I love working on this writing project. I noticed that I was letting him monopolize my time. He posts tons of things on Facebook every day. Lots of animal videos, etc. His snide comments sounded like sour grapes. I think he could have written a book about show business, and he hasn't. He's getting older. Oh well. I don't need the drama.

@DeepBreath, I agree that the body is fascianting. Yes, it's cool how you can edit people out on Facebook, if you need to do so. I haven't yet used the block button, but I've heard about it.

This morning I met my neighbor for coffee. We had a nice chat. I've been doing my basic PT exercises each day, and I am blown away with the difference. They are just perfect for me. I'm not sure how they work, but they really erase the pain, and they're so easy!

I just finished reading a great book by one of the cast members of Jersey Boys. He was in the Toronto company. It was so inspiring. I've been keeping in touch with the choreographer on Facebook. We've got a really nice connection. He's such a talented artist. I'm looking forward to going to the audition in Las Vegas. It's next month. I've been practicing like crazy! The dancing is feeling really good.

I've been cleaning my house and organizing my paperwork. I feel so much better today. I don't like to have things messy and unclean. It upsets me. I hope everyone here is doing well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! who needs all that negativity and drama - you did good to get away from all that.

I totally agree on the basic PT exercises - they are so easy but they seem to help so much. I had a very hectic day yesterday so I didn't do them but I am going to do them this morning before the day gets away from me.

I'm so happy for you that you are dancing again and that it is agreeing with you! How exciting about the audition!
That's good that you are keeping in touch with the choreographer on Facebook and keeping your name in front of him. This just might turn out to the the perfect role for you. Fingers and toes all crossed for you!
:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I missed doing the basic PT exercises yesterday, too. I will do them today. They are just magic.

Yes, it's nice that I can do some choreography again. What a feeling. The choreographer has other shows, too. He is very successful. It's sweet of him to keep in touch with me. I feel honored. I just ordered the coffee table book for Jersey Boys on Amazon. I got it for .97 plus shipping. Amazing! I am excited to read it. It has the whole script. I really enjoy the process. I've amped up my practicing.

I hope you are doing well. I'm thinking about you and all of the interviews, etc. It's exciting!
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I'm so excited for you too! I can tell you are very excited for this opportunity! I am glad the practices are going well and I know I don't have to tell you to not overdo it because you are so good about being in tune with your body. When in June is the audition - how many weeks away?

97 cents is quite a bargain for a book! I just now saw your post from Friday - I wouldn't be surprised if you have read the whole book by now :wink:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, You're right. I finished the first book on Jersey Boys in two days. I couldn't put it down...I just loved it. I sent the author an email this morning, and he already answered it. He was so nice! He told me to keep auditioning. He said that the choreographer that I like so much has a lot of big plans beyond Jersey Boys, and that he's a good person to impress. He's been incredibly successful on Broadway. So, yes, I'm still practicing like crazy.

I've been spending more time on my housekeeping. I feel much better. I had gotten kind of sloppy about it. My mom was an excellent homemaker, and that's something I've always admired. Speaking of which, I hope all of you have a Happy Mother's Day. I took a couple bars of homemade soap to my neighbor as a present. She was very appreciative. It's so nice not to have to buy gifts!

Time to do some yoga and bake a spice cake! Cheers!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that's great that the choreographer has more big things planned - this means there could be several opportunities for you soon. You are smart to stay in touch with people in the business. Networking is so important to today's job searches.

How did your spice cake turn out?

Thank you for the Mother's Day wishes. I was busy yesterday preparing for my interviews so we are going to celebrate this upcoming weekend instead. That was such a thoughtful gesture to take some homemade soap to your neighbor - I'm sure she loved them!

I feel the same about the housekeeping. My grandmother was an excellent homemaker. I feel like I am going 90 to nothing these days and haven't had the time I would like to de-clutter and deep clean like I thought I would. I can't complain though - finding a job is priority #1 for me - otherwise I won't have a house TO clean :snork:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Hello! :wave: Just popping in to say 'Hi' and see what's cookin' in your world. It sounds like the answer is spice cake. YUM!!
How exciting you got a response from the author of the Jersey Boys book! Also exciting is the sound of cool future projects by the choreographer. :)
It sounds like you're taking great care of yourself and that your peaceful nest is tidy and very comfortable.
Keep up the great work, hippie friend! :loveshwr:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Thanks. This choreographer and his best friend have had several hit shows.. They're sort of the "golden boys" of Broadway. It's funny, the other successful choreographers on Broadway are all also people that I danced with in my twenties. It's nice to see who they have become. I'm excited for them. I love being in the studio with him at auditions. He's got such great energy.

I laughed so hard at your comment about having a house to clean. That's so true! I'm really having to watch what I spend. One of my other neighbors came over for coffee this morning. We had a nice chat. She's so generous. She gave me some eggs, a piece of homemade carrot cake, and some homemade chocolate covered nuts. I gave her a bar of homemade soap. She was asking me if I would go out to breakfast with her some time. I had to decline. I just don't have the money to eat out; I've got to save for my audition trip and the memorial service in NY. We have fun at each other's houses, though. I walked her home and visited her new baby chicks. They are just a few days old, and so cute!

I hope your interviews are going well. I'm excited for you.
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Yes, the spice cake came out very well. I'm enjoying it. I used the fresh eggs that my neighbor gave me. The writer of the book was really sweet, and very encouraging. I am looking into using his publishing company for my book. I've been working on it a couple of hours a day.

Today I'm going to do some work in the yard. The garden makes such a difference when you can see it through the windows. I've been reducing clutter, and it makes the cottage feel so much bigger. Less is more. It's easier to clean, too.

Mother's Day left me feeling pretty blue. I still have so much grief to release between my mom and the conductor dying. I went to the gym and did some cardio to try to blast through it. I accidentally did 15 mins. on each machine. (I usually just do 15 mins. total.) So, I did a half hour and worked up a good sweat. I used the bike and the elliptical. I think I'll add 15 mins. of the Stair Master next time. It feels like the cardio is good for me, emotionally. It feels so healthy to sweat, and it doesn't aggravate my hips. I used to get an endorphin rush from ballet class, and I miss that feeling.

Came home and sang through all of my songs. I want to be on top of my game for my audition. I'm going to go exercise the dogs now. I hope everyone is doing well, and feeling healthy and happy!
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I was just reading up on your posts. What a busy spring you are having! Great that you are feeling good dancing and you have the upcoming audition in Las Vegas! I smiled reading what you paid for the Jersey Boys book on Amazon - wonderful. Isn't Amazon the best sometimes? I'm glad you emailed the author and that he got back to you right away, encouraging you to keep auditioning. It must have lifted your spirits.

I'm sorry Mother's Day brought up the grief about your mom and the conductor. It's good you are going to that memorial service. I think it will be comforting to be there celebrating his life with others. Grieving in isolation without a ceremony/ritual with others who share your feelings can be hard.

Anyway, you handled things well by doing the cardio. So smart! I am just realizing how important cardio is and I've lost so much! I went on a stationary bike at PT awhile ago for the first time and I was so out of breath only doing 6 minutes on a "3" resistance! My lungs and heart need to get back in shape. I thought about you and @Hipster Girl both going to the gym and how healthy that is. It made me consider trying out a gym again. Haven't belonged to one in years. But I'm the type who would spend too much time there! At least I think I need to get on my outdoor bike and go! I'm increasing my walking but that still doesn't work up a sweat. I could try my old cardio tapes, too or look for some new workouts on You Tube.

It's good you're not going to that knitting group anymore and unfriended the snide guy on FB. Negatives OUT! But sure sounds like you have a fun, generous neighbor! It's so nice to have someone you trust nearby. And fresh eggs are yummy.

Good for you cleaning out the clutter and organizing things. I also feel so refreshed when I get rid of things and tidy up. Our house is small also but if I keep it organized and clutter free it can still look airy and spacious. It's hard to do sometimes when life gets busy or a creative project overtakes the space (or one's life) for awhile.

Congrats on working on your book and having a possible publisher connection. That takes discipline. Between your writing, lovely soap making business, gardening, dancing and singing you have a lot of good things going on! I'm also glad your hips are doing so well with the basic PT and other exercises you are doing now. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @Readysetgo, Thank you for your kind message. Yes, the cardio is really helpful. I joined 24 Hour Fitness a couple of years ago. I only pay $15.00 a month. I had to pay in advance with a card I bought at Costco. It has been so worth it! I really enjoy the social aspect of it, too. I am going to have to renew my membership soon. I hope I can still get a good deal. The sweating does make a big difference. I think six minutes on the bike is good for a start, though. I know you're used to doing more, but it's good to go slowly and gradually. I was only doing five mins. for quite a while. I eased into it over time. I ride my bike and walk, too. You're right, it doesn't make me sweat, either. The sauna is great for that, and it helps to release a lot of toxins.

I know what you mean about a small house and clutter. Today I stopped by my neighbor's house, and she showed me the little cottage they built for her mom in the backyard. It's tiny, and jam packed. When I came home I realized that because I don't have much stuff, my home feels open and relaxed. I'm really into all of that stuff: space clearing, feng shui, etc... This place also has a lot of windows. I like to open the curtains so that we can look out on to the garden and the window boxes. That helps it to feel bigger, too.

I hope your recovery is going well. I'm going to have to catch up on your thread.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I know what you mean about having to watch the budget, especially since you have a couple of trips coming up. It's great that you and your neighbor have such fun at each other's houses though and visit often with each other. The baby chicks sound so adorable!

I soooo agree with you on less is more. I desperately need to de-clutter. I need to start setting aside an hour or two a day to focus on getting my house in order. It is such an overwhelming task so I just need to break it down into manageable bits.

I thought about you on Mother's Day and how you must be feeling. My former boss just lost his mother a couple month's ago too and he also was heavy on my mind. Mother's Day is hard for so many people and my heart just goes out to them. I'm glad you did some cardio to help release some of the emotions. I do that too and it is a huge help.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, Mother's Day was intense. I am still crying every day, but I just try to release the grief for a short while, and then do something constructive. I am struggling with negative feelings about being out of work, but I have enough money, so I just continue to live frugally. I'm putting a lot of energy and time into prepping for the Jersey Boys audition. I know that I'm probably too old, but the choreographer there who has been encouraging me is working like crazy. It feels good to go back and sing and dance for him every six months. He's so sweet. There are some shows now with people my age, so I'm hopeful. They can really tell when you put in the preparation time, so I do that each day. It looks like this time the musical director from NY will be coming to Vegas. I'm going to show my soprano. I always seem to get the best response from conductors when I sing a song that shows off my high notes.

I think Facebook is stressing me out. At first it was fun, but now I feel kind of overwhelmed. I'm always worried that I'm saying too much, or that one of the people I'm writing to might not like another. Many of my dancer friends are now choreographers. I'm not sure how competitive they are. Bob Mackie accepted my friend request. Wow! He posts some really cool stuff. I love seeing the sketches. I wore his costumes in Juliet Prowse's act.

My hips are slightly sore today. I think I'll skip the PT exercises and give the muscles a rest. I've been doing yoga every night, and walking each morning. I've learned how to do a lot more on the mini ipad. It's incredible what those things can do. It will be helpful when I travel. But, I think technology makes me kind of anxious, so I'm going to start doing more writing by hand. (instead of on the computer.) I'm just not myself. Old fears and self doubt have crept in, even though I am doing my spiritual work and practicing gratitude. Oh well...one day at a time.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! it's good that you are releasing those emotions. It's a process and just takes time.

I'm so happy to hear your preparation is going so well. It's good that you are in tune to what seems to elicit the best response from the conductors and are using that to your advantage - I think it's smart strategy to show off the soprano if that is what they seem to like the best. Bob Mackie - wow! I bet his posts are fascinating!

It's good that you are getting more and more comfortable with technology. I was thinking you could also make youtube videos and there is also a feature on LinkedIn where you can post videos. You could record yourself performing and post it, and who knows if that could lead somewhere when some decision making person sees it. The good thing about this is, unlike a LIVE audition, you could retake it as many times as you wanted before you posted it, just to make sure it is exactly how you want it. Everything is technologically driven these days and it is a great way to advertise your talents without costing any money. Just a thought...
Good call on skipping the exercises and resting the muscles. I hope your hips are feeling better today. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, my hips feel much better today. How about you? I think they just needed a rest day.

I'm looking forward to singing my best soprano song. It's a challenge, but it usually gets a positive response.

You're right about technology. I'm thinking of uploading some of my choreography videos, too. It can all be a little overwhelming at times, though.

Time to go practice my songs and take a shower. The shampoo bars I made are working really well. I don't need any conditioner anymore. Soap making is addictive. I think I'll make another batch tomorrow.

I hope everyone is doing well on their healing journey.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I think uploading your choreography videos is a great idea! Using technology is such an effective means of displaying your talent. I agree it can be overwhelming but it will be well worth it, and once you do the first one, it will become easier.

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun with the soap making. That is amazing that the shampoo bars are working so well that you don't need conditioner anymore.

The rest days are important. Glad your hips are feeling better. I tried the treadmill yesterday and today my hips are sore. I don't know what it is about walking on a treadmill but it seems to always make me sore the next day. I am going to take it easy and just do the basic PT exercises today.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, That's weird about the treadmill. It must be putting some kind of strain on the joints. I went to the gym the last two days. On Saturday I ran into my ex boyfriend. It was weird, because I had been praying a lot, and then I saw him in the parking lot. He had just joined. He was leaving as I was entering. We talked for a while. The last couple times I have seen him I get chills and feel a lot of heart energy. It's making me consider getting back together with him. He still wants to spend time with me, even if it is as friends. I went back over my journals to see how I felt last year at this time. I kept writing about how he was such a good boyfriend, so reliable and dependable, and that we had great chemistry. So...I'm pondering it. My hips were in horrible shape when we were together, and I felt very drained. (like I was aging rapidly. He's 11 and a half years younger than I am.) He was the one that pushed me to go see a surgeon about having my hips replaced. I was dead against it for a year. He was right. We'll see what happens. I'll keep saying prayers. One of our issues was that his mom couldn't take care of herself and had no retirement savings. A lot of his money was going towards her, and I felt a financial strain. He said she is on oxygen now, and that she is not doing well. (She's still smoking.) He doesn't think she will be alive much longer. He's an only child.

I did thirty minutes of cardio at the gym yesterday. (A combination of the bike, the elliptical, and the stair master.) I added fifteen mins. of some of the machines. I decided to try just 10 lbs. and only 10 to 20 reps. So far, so good. It was really fun, and I don't feel sore. I'm hoping to find the right balance so that I can do some light weights. I like the energy on the floor. The endorphins really help me emotionally, too.

I'm really excited about the soap making. I sent some to my aunt, my dad, and to crickethip. Each batch is getting easier and I like how they are looking. Soap making is addictive. I grated a bar and melted it down on the stove with some water to make a liquid soap. I mixed it with baking soda for a bathroom scrub. The tub looks fantastic! I like it because it's natural. I'm going to use it to clean the stains on my walls from my dogs leaning up against them while they sleep.

I hope everyone is doing well. I was thinking of your belated Mother's Day yesterday, @Hipster Girl. I hope you had fun. My mom died one year ago today. I had a really nice dream about her this morning.
 
Before: hip xray
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
 
Back
Top Bottom