Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

I just photographed my scars. Dr. Matta did a beautiful job. This is nine months after surgery. (both sides.)
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
I wonder if maybe he is afraid of commitment? If he would look distraught when he saw you, it's clear he has feelings for you but the fact that he hasn't responded to your emails shows that he knows he's busted and can't wiggle out of this one, and there is no excuse for what he did. Good for you pouring yourself into your yardwork. At this rate, you will have the nicest yard in the neighborhood!:)

ETA: Wow, your scars are barely visible! What are you using on them?
 
@Hipster Girl, Yes, he is totally busted. I forget to tell you that I also sent her a pm on Facebook. I told her what had happened, and that I was sorry. I thought she would want to know. I didn't hear back from her, but I'm sure he got it from both sides. He was always very conscientious w/ me. He was also a caretaker. He seemed very committed when we were together. I was reticent, because I had a vague sense that something was off. I couldn't put my finger on it, but it felt like an addiction. I've just let the whole thing go.

I know, I'm so happy with the scars and how they have faded. I haven't used anything on them. (just my homemade soap!) I did use coconut oil a few times in the early days. I think he just did an excellent job. He's so exact.
 
Yes, it definitely helps to have a good surgeon and sounds like you had one of the best. :)

I'm really proud of you for letting the girlfriend in on what your ex did. I'm sure you are exactly right, that he is getting it from both sides, and he deserves every bit of it. He can't play with people's hearts like that and get away with it. :bignono:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Ahh, well, the drinking thing does not sound too good. I'm really sorry that happened. It just stinks, plain and simple. :sad: If I was the girlfriend of someone who did that I'd sure want to know what kind of guy I was dealing with, so good for you for looking out for her as well.
Wow, your scars look fantastic! I'll bet in another year or so they'll be almost invisible. Wonderful! :yay:
I hope your week is good, Hip Hip. Take good care of yourself. *Hugs*
 
@Hipster Girl, I'm sure it surprised him, because I contacted her immediately. I think it's good for people like that to have consequences. Like you said, it did make me realize that I would like to be in a healthy, committed relationship. I felt so high and in love after seeing him. I'd forgotten how that feels. I'd like to share that emotion and connection with the right person. Today I went and got a really cute haircut for only $10.00. I gave her $15.00. It's a nice little bob with a wedge. I went to the gym this morning, and plan to go at least every other day. I enjoy it, and the people there. I love my new routine of 30 mins. of cardio, 15 mins. of weights, and then a jacuzzi and sauna.

@DeepBreath, You're right, the drinking was a negative. The thing was, he could handle it really well. He never showed it, but the dependency was there. Also, I think that's very connected to the lying. I have a lot of alcoholism in my family. Even though I've attended AlAnon, I still seem to be attracted to those people. Oh well. I nipped it in the bud.

I haven't heard from him at all, so I assume he's trying to save the relationship with the new girlfriend. I might go to the gym early in the morning one day next week. Make him sweat a little. I'm not sure. Maybe I should just stay far away. I think it would be funny to wear a cute little outfit and sport my new haircut, though. I guess that's just my ego. At least I'm not crying like I used to, in my twenties.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! yeah, the drinking is a red flag. I have a lot of alcoholism in my family too. You are handling this all so well. Thank goodness you found out early on like you did.

Your workout routine sounds like it is really agreeing with you. What type of cardio are you doing at the gym?

Your haircut sounds really cute! and a great deal for only $10 :)
 
Thanks @Hipster Girl. I start with 10 mins. on the regular bike. Then I do 10 mins. on the Elliptical. After that I do 7-10 mins. on the StairMaster. By then I'm sweating. I have to stop a few times and rest while doing the StairMaster. After the cardio I do some of the machines with just 10 lbs. I only do 10-15 reps. I do 30 sit-ups on that rocking chair, and 10 leg lifts and knee ups in the Roman chair. I don't really use the leg machines. (except the inner and outer thigh one on 20 lbs.) I still walk my dog about a mile and and a half or three quarters. (I'm guessing the distance,) and ride my bike with my dog for 10-15 mins. on a flat surface. I also do some easy yoga most nights. Nothing hard core anymore. It's giving amazing results, though. My ex kept saying how cut and muscular I was, and he knew me when my hips were at their worst. My legs were bowed, my thighs were the size of his arms, and I couldn't put on my socks, shoes, pants, etc. He used to help me, and he was always really nice about it. That impressed me, because he was young and good looking, and I felt like a little old lady. He takes care of his mom, so he seems to fall into that naturally.

He told his friends that I had an iron will, and reminded me how we hiked for 10 miles and it was very steep, and straight uphill. I was convinced that it was good for me, and that I felt healing vibes from the Earth. It is kind of funny, looking back on it. I tried so hard. It was very exhausting, though.

I think a lot of alcoholics are very sensitive, perceptive people. Maybe they drink to buffer their pain. Gurmukh says alcoholics don't know what to do with their rage. I feel like I have a lot in common with them. I had to do a lot of "beating the bed" to release my repressed negative emotions.
 
Oh, I forgot to mention, I talked with this man at the gym today. He said, "I've been watching you work, I noticed that you don't do many repetitions, and that you use a lot of different machines." I explained to him that I'd had my hips replaced, and that I can only do 10-15 reps on the lightest setting, or I have pain.

He was really nice, and told me that he does the same thing, since he's older. I asked him how old he was. (I guessed that he was probably in his fifties or sixties.) "Eighty-four," he answered. I was shocked! It's pretty amazing how exercise can keep people young. He thought I was just being nice, and I told him, "No, I really thought you were in your fifties or sixties." I made his day...

He asked me if I used to do ballet. I told him about my dancing. "I bet you were a knock-out," he said. There's that word, "were". Oh well. I'm just happy to be able to do weights again. I didn't think I'd ever be able to...but I was bumping it up to 30 lbs. and doing 32 reps. This is much better.

I've also figured out how to balance my hormones. I'm eating brussell sprouts, broccoli, or cauliflower every day. I also usually make a big salad. I drink a couple of cups of green tea to help my body absorb the plant estrogens. I've also been making yogi tea. The herbs are really healing. I forgot that I used to do all this stuff daily, when I was a dancer. It makes all the difference. I also have been eating pineapple. It's an aphrodisiac. I never knew that, but have always loved the taste. I had been feeling like my sex life was over, but now I am feeling like I did when I was young. It takes time and energy, but it is so worth it. I think our bodies really need chemistry in the diet, especially at this age...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that's a good idea to mix up the cardio a little and do a few minutes on several different machines like that. I might give that a try. I usually do just one cardio machine per workout session. Your workouts combined with walking your dog and riding your bike and yoga sounds like a well balanced regimen - a little bit here, little bit there using different muscle groups.

That is so cool about the man at the gym looking decades younger than his actual age. I wholeheartedly agree about exercise - if there is a fountain of youth, exercise is the closest thing we have to it.

Your diet sounds so healthy. What we eat definitely has a huge impact on how we feel. I'm impressed with all the veggies you eat. I wish I liked veggies more - I have to force them down.
 
Your scars look perfect and are nearly invisible, think your Dr Matta is an artist, the best surgeons usually are :)
 
@Hipster Girl, He was a really nice man. I like being out on the floor at the gym. Everyone is working hard and keeping fit. It's so much nicer than listening to people complain and gossip at those knitting groups. It's just much more positive and proactive.

That's too bad that you don't really like vegetables. How about juicing? They're not my favorite foods, but I like their effects and the way they make the muscles look. Incorporating more herbs is giving me a nice buzz, too. The yogi tea has cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, black pepper corns, and nutmeg. It's a potent concoction.

I think you're right about using the different machines. I sort of switch off what I do on different days. Lots of consistent activity that isn't difficult. I found that when I taught, working the basics had the same results. The cardio and sweating really helps me to release negative energy. I think it gets the endorphins flowing.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I know what you mean about a good cardio workout releasing endorphins. I am really needing that these days because it's easy to feel down about being out of work but a good cardio workout has a way of changing perspective in a very positive, healthy way.

The yogi tea sounds really tasty. I think Starbucks has something like that. I don't have a juicer but I do throw some veggies into the blender with a smoothie here and there and it makes it so you can't really taste them. Kale and carrots work really well.

Totally agree about going to the gym - I enjoy going too and seeing everyone work hard and keeping fit. I don't believe in weighing on a scale because weight isn't a true indicator of fitness level but I do have a body composition monitor and it is so exciting to see the fat % going down and the muscle %, bone density, and fitness levels increasing after being so sedentary pre-surgery and during recovery. I feel stronger and leaner but seeing the composition changing is powerfully motivating. I have kept records of the readings from the body composition monitor for years, and in a few months, I should be at numbers I haven't seen in years because of my hips. Very exciting! :yes:
 
That's great, @Hipster Girl. I think that's what's happening for me, too. I went to the gym again today. I'm really enjoying the new routine. Now I'm going to make a big salad and some yogi tea. I think the tea at Starbucks is called chai tea. It's very similar.

Yesterday I did some more heavy pruning on my pine tree. It's over 100 years old. It looks and feels so much better back there now. It just feels fresher and cleaner. Once they pick up the green waste today, I can refill my bins. I have a couple of conifers in the front yard that I plan to trim next week. It's kind of fun using the tools.

My neighbor who has really bad knees asked me if she could have my old walker. She looks like she needs both knees replaced. Her walker broke. I gave her my silver one, and she was so appreciative. I've held on to the
red one with wheels and a seat, just in case. They both belonged to my mom. She would be happy that they've gotten so much use, since she refused to use them.

I found out from Dr. Matta's office that the one year follow up visit is included in the surgery fee. They said that the xray fees are covered by all major insurance companies. That's a relief. I was planning on a $1000.00 bill, since he is considered an out of network doctor. If I need to see him for any other reason, he only charges $50.00 for a visit. I was so thankful to hear that...such good news. I really like him.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm glad your neighbor will be able to use your old walker. It's nice that someone else can get use out of the old equipment that's not being used. I don't blame you for hanging onto the other though. Hopefully you'll never need it but I'm sure it's harder to give up something that belonged to your mom.

Great news from Dr Matta's office on the one year follow up visit. I'm sure you must be breathing a sigh of relief over that.
Good job on pruning your pine tree. 100 years old, wow, that must be a huge tree! :wowspring:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Wow, you are really getting a lot accomplished in your yard. That's amazing and such good exercise. I'm glad you're enjoying your exercising and have found routines that work for you. That is such a wonderful feeling after all the 'let's try this...oh gosh, that makes me stiff/hurt' time.
Fantastic about your year follow up news! It's always good news to hear you won't have a payment you'd been expecting. :)
I hope you have a terrific Memorial Day weekend!
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, the pine tree is huge. I love the energy and protection it gives. The shade is really nice in the summertime. I've been thinking of offering my neighbor the other walker, too. Part of me is afraid that I might need it. I see her using the first one, and it makes me happy. She had tears of relief in her eyes when I gave it to her.

@DeepBreath, Thanks. The yard work is rewarding. I love seeing all the pretty flowers in the window boxes. I had some amaranth volunteers sprout out of the compost pile. I transplanted them to the driveway. They look pretty there. They will get tall and colorful. I hope you are doing well and enjoying life!

Today I ran into my neighbor from around the corner. We were both walking our dogs. She had back surgery in Sept. of last year. She was recovering well at first, but now I can see she's really in pain. I asked her if she was doing her PT, and she told me that she had stopped. It was really helping her. She said that she can't afford it. It's too bad, because when she was covered, she looked so happy,enthusiastic, and pain free. I talked to her about joining the gym and doing the water classes and silver sneaker classes. Many seniors get them for free. (Her new insurance doesn't cover it.) I suggested she talk to her son about maybe having that as a birthday present. She perked up and agreed. She was amazed at my improvement. I told her about my routine. That basic PT work is so helpful to me. I gave her a bar of my homemade soap. She was very appreciative. I ran into another friend there, the school principal. I gave her two bars of soap. (One for her, and one for her daughter.) She usually buys expensive soap at the mall, because her daughter has skin problems. She was excited to receive it.

I mopped all the floors today with homemade liquid soap, Borax, and water. I did a second coat with hot water and white vinegar. The house feels so nice when the floors are clean. When my hips were bad, I just gave up on cleaning the floors. It was all I could do to vacuum them. They look so much nicer now.

I made reservations and plans to see my friends when I'm in NY. Now that I know how to work my mini ipad, that will make things easier. I'm finally catching up with the rest of the world, as far as technology. Tomorrow I have a ballroom dance lesson! I am taking advantage of a special for new students. It's $29.00 for a private lesson, a group class, and one social dance. I think it will be perfect for my new hips. I asked for a Russian teacher. (Since I have Russian ballet training.) I'm excited!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that is so sweet about your neighbor. I'm glad she is getting good use out of your walker. It makes me sad to imagine how hard it was for her to get around before you gave it to her.

Sorry to hear about your other neighbor who is in pain all these months after her back surgery. :sad: That was a good idea you had for her to ask her son about a gym membership for her birthday present. In the meantime, did her therapist give her any PT exercises she can do on her own at home? It would be a shame for her to go backwards after having made some progress.
How exciting about your ballroom dance lesson! Let us know how it goes! :flwrysmile:
 
Back
Top Bottom