Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray! that is interesting about the baking soda baths. I haven't gotten in the bathtub since before my surgeries but I bet I could manage to get in there now.

It sounds like your skin is really responding well to your soaps. I am excited for you to start selling them; women in particular are always looking for products that make their skin soft and smooth and more youthful looking.

That was so sweet of your neighbor to give you the zucchini plants & beets.:) It sounds like you two really hit it off and she sounds like a much more positive person to be around than all those grumpy complainers at the knitting group. :yes:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, That's great that you ordered a brush. Let me know how you like it. I really feel a difference.

@Hipster Girl, Yesterday I went to Costco to drop off a card and soap sample to the woman who asked me for one. I couldn't find her, so I asked a manager. He was on the phone, asking a woman about it, and then I saw her. I went over and asked her if she remembered me. She got all defensive and denied everything. I just handed her the envelope and left. It was weird. She was so nice and enthusiastic the other day. Very strange...

Yes, my neighbor is really nice. I am learning to avoid the negative types, and stay focused on people who uplift and inspire me. I've got to go water my garden. Will take photos today. The hollyhocks are finally in bloom!!!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I will definitely let you know about the dry brush. I'm very excited about trying it. I have thought, since having my surgery and experiencing the super dry skin on my lower legs, that something must be off in my system since I'm apparently not exfoliating naturally. I can't wait to see the effects. :)
How strange about the lady at Costco! Perhaps she was having a bad day? Whatever the reason, that is an extremely odd reaction. There are so many peculiar people in the world. I think avoiding the negative is a terrific idea! :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! What an odd reaction from the lady at Costco, especially after she had asked for the soap. :scratch: I would think she would be appreciative. I can't figure that one out. People can be funny.

I think it's smart to avoid the negative types.
Yay about the hollyhocks! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath and @Hipster Girl, I thought it was strange, too. Maybe she was worried that her manager would get mad. I'm not sure. It felt like some sort of corporate thing. I told him that I buy my oils there, and that's when she asked me. Oh well. I'm not going to worry about it. I just wanted to follow up on a possible customer. There was another employee there defending her, too. It was really weird. I didn't mean to cause her any trouble.

I've been doing the Bikram yoga regularly, and it is really working for me. I'm starting to see some of the definition returning to my legs. I've been really working on my singing. I'm determined to focus on what I want to create, and not slip into negative thinking.

I found a recipe for shampoo bars. I have all of the ingredients except the avocado oil. I like the idea of making my own shampoo. It would really save on packaging. This one uses coconut oil, avocado oil, castor oil, meadowfoam oil, olive oil, lye, and coconut milk. It sounds really luxurious!

I hope everyone is doing well. My hips feel invisible again. I love that feeling...
 
There was another employee there defending her, too. It was really weird.


My hips feel invisible again. I love that feeling...
Hmm...that is weird and I also get the vibe, from how you described the situation, that something hinky, corporate wise, was behind all that. Why Costco would care if an employee was interested in a customer's activity is beyond me. Perhaps they are strictly forbidden to talk about any kind of business type thing while working? Dunno...that is definitely a :what:

Yaaay for the invisible hips! That is magnificent. :)
The shampoo sounds amazing. How interesting that it's in bar form. That is super cool. If you make some I will be anxious to hear your thoughts on it!
I hope your day is wonderful. :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that makes sense that it might have been some corporate thing. Maybe she was afraid her manager would think she was taking sales away from the store, but since you purchase the ingredients there, I don't know why it would matter. I'll be curious how she acts the next time you see her at Costco. I wouldn't be surprised if she apologizes and has some wacky corporate explanation for her behavior.

So happy to hear your hips are invisible and that you are getting definition in your legs again - awesome!! :yes!:
 
@DeepBreath, I think she might have been breaking some rule. Hopefully I didn't get her in trouble. I don't think so. @Hipster Girl, Yes, I buy my coconut and olive oils there. The prices are great, and I don't have to pay for shipping. She looks to be around our age, so I understand her need to protect her job.

The other day I met a man in the jacuzzi who recycles the blood back in hip replacement patients during surgery. We had a great talk. He was so interesting. I really liked him. He was very impressed with my scars. They are practically invisible. He told me that my surgeon was very precise. I think the glue helped, too.

Here is a photo I took yesterday of the hollyhocks. They are in bloom. Spring is here!
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
 
oh my goodness @Hip Hip Hooray! , they are beautiful!! In fact, that whole picture looks like it belongs on a magazine cover, wow! How blessed are you that you have that gorgeous view every day!
:flwrysmile:

That is fascinating about the man you met in the jacuzzi. When he says he recycles the blood back, what does that mean exactly - does he put it back into the patient during surgery?? :what:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Thank you very very much for the beautiful photo of the hollyhocks. In Germany they won't blossom before July. But the country is full of red and yellow tulips now.
Have a nice weekend
Constanze
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I love hollyhocks, too. They are so old fashioned. I like your purple avatar, too. So sad about Prince...

@Hipster Girl, Some of the surgeons use a machine where they recycle your blood and give it back to you. Dr. Matta uses it. It's pretty incredible what they can do these days. I told him that one of the doctors that assisted Dr. Matta told me that my levels were at a 9. I asked him what that was. He said that it was the hemoglobin...and that 9 or 10 is good. I was afraid I would need a blood transfusion, but I didn't. It was a very interesting conversation.

Hi @Constanze, I remember the weather in Germany. It was such a relief when the sun came out, and the flowers bloomed. The tulips sound beautiful.

I skipped yoga yesterday. My hips were a little sore. I iced them and used the jacuzzi and sauna. I will do the yoga again today. It's giving me the results that I want. The body feels completely different when the legs are strong. It's grounding.

I bought all of the ingredients to make the shampoo bars. I'm going to do that today. This is my first time using coconut milk. Should be fun...I'm excited to try them.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I agree about hollyhocks...lovely. They remind me of a certain region in Colorado. They're everywhere there and are tall and magical looking.
Enjoy your soap making! :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - Loved the close up photo of your soaps. I could really see the exquisite detail in them. Just beautiful! I hope your shampoo bars turn out great! Congrats on selling your soaps. May that continue! Very odd experience with the Costco woman. My first thought reading that was that she felt intimidated by her manager being there? You'd think friendly interactions with customers would be encouraged...

And your hollyhocks are gorgeous! Whenever I've tried to grow them they don't do well. Maybe it's because I've tried in rather humid areas and so they get that dusty mold thing on them. Maybe where we are now will be better for growing them. There's always a sea breeze keeping the air fresh. My mother used to grow beautiful hollyhocks. She had a knack for gardening.

I've been trying out the Bikram yoga. I modify a lot because I haven't had my last follow up with OS for restriction clearance. But it felt great to move that way again. And the breathing exercises are so good. I've done yoga off and on until hip pain and loss of ROM pre- surgery just made it impossible. Never did Bikram per se, but have always been curious. The heat sounds good to me actually, but don't know if I'd go to a class. Not yet anyway!

Hope you're having a fun weekend experimenting with the soap making! Oh- and I love the idea of "invisible hips"! And the almost invisible scars to go with them! :)
 
Hi @Readysetgo, I just wrote on @DeepBreath's thread to please be very careful with the Bikram yoga so soon after surgery. That alarms me. I never would have done it at your stage. One of the master Bikram yoga teachers dislocated his hip by going back to class too soon after this surgery. He was a professional dancer and is very knowledgeable and successful. I'm glad you're modifying it. I think I remember that you were a dancer, so you really know your body. I just don't want people to get the wrong idea. I think it's helpful after the hips have healed, but not so soon in the game.

Thank you for the compliments on my hollyhocks and soap. The shampoo bars look great. I cut them into rectangles this morning. They are on the drying racks. We have a dry climate here. It works well for hollyhocks. Sometimes mine get a rust on the leaves, but I just remove them.

@DeepBreath, Yes, the hollyhocks are magical looking. They reseed really well. I look forward to seeing them every year. I do love being a soap maker. It's an exciting new skill. I'm getting pretty fast. The curing period takes patience. Fortunately, I have a stash now.

Reading about Prince's story has made me realize how my life would have been if I hadn't gone forward with this surgery. I feel so much grief about his experience. It's so sad to me, since this surgery has come so far. I wish he could have healed the way we have. I was on Percoset, too. It's pretty scary when you realize what can happen.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - You are so sweet to be worried about me doing too much with the Bikram! But please - no worries! Yes, I was a dancer and am very conscious about my body - plus I am very cautious. I was always curious about Bikram, especially the use of heat. A friend of mine told me it "saved her knees." So I mostly just looked at You tube to check it out. I found a beginner's class and did the breathing exercises and simple standing stretches. The more complicated poses I just sort of modified and/or watched. Yes I am eager to get back to really moving again and my hips are doing really well. I can't wait for that first post - THR bike ride outside! But! - I am being very careful about everything...

Glad your shampoo bars look great. Would love to see a photo of them. Hope you're having a great spring weekend!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! very scary indeed about the Percocet. Prince had such a small frame too so I would imagine medication would probably affect him much more than a larger person. It is very sad that he suffered so much with his hip pain. We can all relate to that terrible hip pain. I wonder if they could have recycled his own blood back to him during surgery as an alternative to a blood transfusion from a blood bank, or if that would be considered the same thing according to his beliefs. He may not have even needed it. I didn't require either with my surgeries. I just hate to think he suffered needlessly. :sad:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks @sweetpea67, I love the hollyhocks, too. I just planted some trailing miniature petunias in my hanging baskets and window boxes. I love seeing flowers through my window.

Hi @Readysetgo, Oh good. I was sore in my hip flexors yesterday. They're still stinging a bit today. (I think from the Bikram yoga.) I didn't do it yesterday. It healed my knees, too. (many years ago.)

@Hipster Girl, Yes, Prince was tiny. They recycled my blood during my bilateral surgery. I wasn't aware of any of it. I hate to think that he suffered needlessly, too. It's a terrifying decision. He must have felt such pressure, since he was performing. It breaks my heart, since this surgery has come so far. I was very closed to modern medicine and medications when I was younger. Doing my hips really opened up my mind. I remember accidentally taking a Percoset when I was supposed to take a Tramadol. It sounds like the overdoses are becoming more common. (especially with celebrities.)

I enjoyed working in the garden last night. I'm going to buy some begonias, and plant them in my living room window boxes. I like to plant giant sunflowers, too. I've been reading the books on my mom's old Kindle. There are 200 books on it! It's really enjoyable and relaxing. It's amazing what they have done with technology. I'm excited to be catching up and learning how to use all of this stuff. It's easier than I thought.

I hope everyone is healing well, and not overdoing it.
 
I just got a call from my neighbor. I had taken her a bar of the olive oil soap that I make the other day. She said, "I went to the dermatologist yesterday to be checked over for skin cancer." (She has had it removed from her face.) She told me that she had shaved her legs, using the soap that I gave her. The dermatologist said, "Those are the best moisturized legs I have ever seen!" That made me feel good. I guess a lot of women have dry legs. I know some people have mentioned it on this thread. I thought it was sweet of her to call and tell me. It made my day!
 
Back
Top Bottom