Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray! good thing you realized it when you took the Percocet instead of the Tramadol. I can see how that could so easily happen when taking several medications.

That is so fun about reading all those books on your mom's Kindle. 200 books, wow. That will keep you busy for awhile. Glad you are enjoying catching up on the technology. It is a lot of fun once you get into it.

What a nice complement from your neighbor's dermatologist. That speaks volumes about the high quality of your soaps. I wonder if her dermatologist would allow you to sell some of your soaps through his office? I know when I check out at my dermatologist's office, there are samples at the counter but there are also some skin products for sale. Just a thought.
The petunias sound lovely. :flwrysmile:
 
Hello @hip hip hooray - I enjoy reading your thread! Now that I have been given the clearance to weight bear using some hip precautions, I am back reading stories from folks 6 months down the line. There are a few of you I'm trying to catch up with. This hip precaution thing is so new to me as my previous surgeries required no precautions. I was up and going in two weeks, bending at any angle I felt comfortable.

You are doing great and I love your life style! I really love your soaps and hope you decide at some point to sell them on the market! It's a good idea to test market your products which you seem to be doing quite successfully. I use a lot of olive oil and coconut oil straight out of the bottles! I'll pick one to use, lately it's been the coconut oil, and rub it everywhere I am dry - especially the legs! Smells nice too! I haven't tried using it as a shampoo so I hope you are successful in making this work!

And your gardens are inspirational! I also have a green thumb! I have so many plants, too many actually. They come into my house and never die! When we bought our house 26 years ago, the previous owner was throwing away a tree plant in the garbage. I took it out, nursed it, and 26 years later, I have this tree in my house that keeps growing! I really don't want it anymore....it's a real dilemma! My daughter's Christmas cactus was dying. She gave it to me, now it's taking off and flowering for the first time in years! I hope she wants it back!

One thing I don't have is a place for a real garden. We have too much shade so I can't grow veggies! Do you have your own vegetable garden? I can't remember if I read that in your thread. It must be so nice to live in CA with the warm climate that you have.

I'm really looking forward to getting back into my yoga! I hear and read different stories about whether this is a good thing after THR. This is why I am reading everyone's posting 6 months after the surgery. Can you bend a full 180 degree? Example - sitting straight leg, bend from the waist, head touch your knees, arms to your toes. I could do this before surgery and know there are certain yoga moves similar to this position. I know I can do it again physically, but will this be OK? I think the Bikram yoga might be too intense for me....I enjoy the gentler versions of yoga - at least at the moment!

Hope you have a productive day with your shampoos! Walking into your home must be like walking through a wonderfully scented garden!:flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I realized I had taken the wrong pill right after I took it. I was at my knitting group, and had my paperwork and log with me. It's easy to make a mistake if you are not concentrating.

Yes, the Kindle is really convenient. I had forgotten how much I enjoy reading. It's a treat. It makes me feel closer to my mom, too. I think she would be happy that I'm using it. She was an invalid at the end of her life, and she read that kindle every day. She loved it.

I think my neighbor's dermatologist sells commercial products. It sounded like it, from our conversation. For now I plan to keep giving out free samples, and hopefully that will create customers. She sounded so pleased that he had noticed. I don't even have to use moisturizer on my body anymore! It amazes me. Skin care can be really expensive, so I'm thrilled. I used to buy Burt's Bees products, but they were putting a strain on my budget.

I hope all is well with you.
 
Hi @keepmovin, You sound great! I'm glad that you are healing. I used to use the oils out of the bottle, too. It didn't work for my skin, though. The olive oil sat on my face and stained my pillow cases. The coconut oil pulled the moisture from my skin and I looked like I was in my seventies! They say in soap making to only use 30% coconut oil for that reason. (unless you are superfatting.) This is giving me the results that I wanted. It's a lot of fun to make soap. (once you have all the supplies.)

I would never try to do the forward bend you described so soon after a revision. You've been through so much...those poor tissues must be really traumatized. If it were me I would wait about 8 months...maybe longer. Yes, I can bend the way you described. I have learned that just because I can do something, though, doesn't mean that I should do it. I think the standing head to knee pose is the one that made my hip flexors feel inflamed. Last night I woke up and they were hurting. (three days after doing the yoga.) It's such a tricky balance. In my case I get too excited about what I can do, and then I pay for it later in the week. I've been icing again. I have a feeling I might have to wait a year from the surgery to be able to do those poses without a negative reaction. It's hard to say. I can't predict it. It did hurt at the time, though. ( I should have stopped.) I got overzealous in wanting to make my legs look like dancer legs again.

Gardening is so rewarding. I'm not surprised that you have a green thumb. I have a few zucchini plants that my neighbor gave me. I may plant some Cinderella pumpkins. I just don't want to waste water. I planted some side beds in my driveway. I love the look: a grapefruit tree, guava tree, rosemary, oregano, berries, lavender, and rhubarb. I've got some amaranth volunteers that I will transplant. They are gorgeous!

Time to ice. My hips are still complaining. It's been eight months since the surgery. I've got to get back to the stage where they feel invisible. That takes a lot of self restraint.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! Hope you are well
I try to be philosophical with my recovery, ie not to be too excited with what I can do, nor too despondent with what I can't! I didn't have a brilliant day yesterday ( totally self inflicted ) but then backtracked a week and actually I'm doing ok

Sensible self restraint is indeed the way to take it

Burts Bees' products are very expensive over here

I love my kindle too. It's one of the best things I have ever bought, fantastic value for money - up there with my mountain bike and ukulele/s. Reading is such an enriching and enlightening thing to do and kindles are so portable. I work in London quite a lot and eg, read it on the tube, train, coffee shops etc. Mr Unsociable, that's me!

Best wishes
Peter
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! and @Hipster Girl ,
Yes indeed, I was so sad when I got the news that Prince was suffering from hip pain and was taking potent painkillers. My first reaction was why didn't he have hip replacement like I did, or like, for example, Boris Becker did? It sounded to me in the news that he was kind of a workaholic. Workaholics find recovery periods hard. And he must have been an exercise junky as well - just like me - apparently he rode his bicycle in the intervals during his live concerts. Another reason for him not to have the op (maybe). I also left it much too late because I wanted to do one more triathlon because I was afraid that after the op I would have to face life-long restrictions and be confined to a life of no running and no yoga. Not at all. If you recover properly and exercise enough patience, you will be able to do everything you did before - and maybe more. And - talking about exercise - yes I can sit on a chair with my nose touching my knees and my fingers touching my toes. No problem. Preop I was even struggling when putting pants, socks and shoes on.

@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm so happy someone is so thoughtful as not wanting to waste too much water. I should also save water, because the local authority of my home town - Flörsheim on the River Main - is one of the most expensive places in Germany for water. But sometimes we have very dry periods with little rain in summer and my little blossoms wilt. So I turn the garden hose on. Our lawn was all brown last summer, too. It's always a compromise between looking after your garden and being ecological, isn't it?

About reading - yes it's definitely an enrichment. At the moment, I'm not finding enough time to read books. I read more during my rehab period. Yes, this is an ideal opportunity for reading more so long as you don't have brain fog. I actually enjoy reading - even something more scientific like "The Universe in a Nutshell" by Steven Hawking - and I regret I don't have more time. May all you nice people enjoy your (bikram or not) yoga and your arts and crafts hobbies. Hugs - Constanze
 
Thanks for your advice @hip hip hooray - I think I already knew much of what you are saying, just seeing it in print confirms that my limitations will require me to be extra careful and diligent for many months ahead.:yes: What we can and should do must register everyday in our activities I suppose, at least for the first year.

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing some discomfort again. Hope those hips are feeling 'more invisible' today! I love that phrase and hope I can say the same in the near future!

What a lovely garden you must have! Once I am healed, this is what I hope to create - a garden with fresh vegetables and herbs! We have a lot of property but it's shaded. Our deck is pretty sizeable and gets a lot of sun so I may try something this summer. I think I could manage to handle potted gardens by then!:)

How is the shampoo coming along? Next you will have to create your own creams. Then you would have your own line of beauty products to call your own!:yes!:

Have a great day!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm sure your mom would be happy knowing you are using her Kindle as well. I can definitely understand how it makes you feel closer to her. I used Burt's Bees products for awhile and yes, they are pricey.

@Constanze I'm reading the same thing about Prince being a workaholic. I didn't know he rode a bike during intervals at his concerts though. It's hard for someone who is so physically active to find a good time for THR. Triathalons, wow, that is impressive. You must be in great shape. My workouts came pretty much to a screeching halt the two years before THR. I am so happy to finally be resuming them. I am starting to feel like myself again. I have a lifelong restriction from running now though.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! How wonderful that your neighbor got such a great compliment after using your soap! That's awesome. :) You are not kidding about skin care being expensive. I love Burt's Bees products but they do tend to be quite expensive.
I'm so glad you're enjoying the Kindle and that it helps you feel a closeness with your mom. :) I love my Kindle. It is honestly the best gift I was ever given.
Yikes about the Percoset thing. It is so easy to take the wrong pill, even with a log. Definitely scary stuff!
I hope your hips get back to the invisible stage very soon. You're not kidding that it takes self restraint to not get those hips complaining.
Your garden sounds like it is going to be magnificent this year. I'm glad you got some much needed moisture this year and hope that continues. :)
 
Hi @PS46, I'm sorry to hear you had a setback. At least they are minor. I love how you described your Kindle. I love my bicycle, too. Kindles are a great invention. My mom bought some of the books on hers for $1.00!

@Constanze, I didn't know Prince was a workaholic. You almost have to be to make it in show business. Part of our work as performers is staying in shape. I know what you mean about being an exercise junkie. I was, too. I think I was pushing down a lot of my negative emotions that way. We are only allowed to water two days a week here. We have had a bad drought for the past several years. I mulched over my lawn with straw. We can water the fruits and vegetables more often, but it gets very hot here in the summer.

@keepmovin, Yes, my hips are still sore, but they are healing. I will just do the basic PT exercises today, and some very gentle yoga. I've noticed when I'm upset or grieving, they seem to flare. I just made arrangements to attend the memorial service for the conductor I loved so much, Jack Lee. Facing the music and booking my reservations brought on another wave of grief. Good luck with your garden.

@Hipster Girl, That's great that you are feeling like yourself again. I'm so glad. Slowly but surely...

@DeepBreath, Yes, aren't Kindles great? They are so cool. I was very pleased with what my neighbor told me about the soap. I think it's going to save me money on moisturizer. It seems to do both: clean and moisturize. A soap maker told me that it doesn't strip the natural oils from your skin. She said that they remove the glycerin from commercial soaps. Interesting. I've got quite a stash...

Thanks for all of the posts. I hope everyone is doing well today.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! that is interesting about why commercial soaps strip natural oils from the skin. I'm going to have to check the ingredients on my soap. I always have to moisturize after washing my face or my skin will feel tight.

What are some of the books you are reading on your Kindle?

I am glad you are going to the memorial service for your conductor friend. Things like that are never easy and I'm sorry it is bringing grief to the surface but I think it will be beneficial and healing for you to go, and honoring to him as well. When is the service?
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I'm not sure of the name of the book I'm reading right now. I don't really fully understand how to use the Kindle, and I don't want to lose my place. This book is by a woman from Chile. She's an excellent writer. I've got to figure out how to skip around on it. For now, I just pick it up and read.

The memorial service isn't until the summer. I've made plans to see some close friends while I'm there. I've been watching some of the footage of shows that he conducted, like the original company of Sweet Charity on Broadway. He was such a master!

I've been able to start doing some choreography in my living room. I keep the movements small, but it feels great to move and dance. I think part of the reason I had some recent pain was that I started walking daily again. I had been using the bicycle to run my dogs. Now I walk for a mile and a half each morning. It's like those muscles were asleep. They've adjusted. I think the Bikram yoga was too intense for the hip flexors, one pose in particular. (standing head to knee.)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Yes, Kindles are fabulous. I love to read, but moving tons of books from duty station to duty station is not an easy thing since every pound counts against you in a military move. Being able to have hundreds of books on one small device has been a God send.
Your soap sounds incredible. I can absolutely believe that commercial soaps strip your face and body of needed oils.
*Hugs* about grieving your friend. I'm so sorry. That is a tough thing. We're here if you need an ear or a shoulder.
I hope your weekend is a lovely one! :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I wish I could tell you how to skip around on your Kindle but I haven't used one. I do thing they are incredible devices though and like @DeepBreath said, they eliminate the need to lug heavy books around. I have considered getting one but will wait until I start working before spending the money although I think they've come down somewhat in price.

Your friend sounds like he was incredibly talented and I'm glad you will be able to attend his memorial service. It's amazing with the technology we have today how the legacy of these incredibly talented people live on even after they pass. Although I'm sure you wish it were under circumstances, I think it's wonderful that you will be able to visit with some good friends when you go the memorial service this summer.

That's wonderful that you are able to start doing some choreography again! That must be an amazing feeling and reminds me of the photo that DeepBreath posted about what we can do now that we couldn't do a year ago - how true that is! It's funny you mention that you think the reason you had some recent pain is from walking because I just posted in another thread that I am experiencing the same thing, and it is gentler exercise like walking that seems to be causing it. Glad to hear your muscles have adjusted and it gives me hope that mine will too.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!, I use Kindle for Mac and iPhone, don't have the actual device, but on those apps your place is automatically saved for you if you go away from the book. I am sure it is the same on the Kindle itself. I move around from book to book and when I return, it opens right to where I left off, even when I switch from the Mac to the iPhone and back, reading the same book. Don't think you have anything to fear about losing your place!
 
@DeepBreath, Thank you. It seems like the Bikram yoga was bringing up all of my emotional gunk. Now that I've stopped it for a while, I feel much calmer and much less emotional. It's always done that to me. I would like to get back to it when my hips are ready, though. I am now looking forward to the memorial. It's an incredible guest list.

@Hipster Girl, Isn't it weird about the walking, of all things? I realized that I haven't been walking for exercise. I switched over to other things like yoga, pilates, bicycling, etc. Every little thing affects these hips. I think that stress and emotions affect them, too. I've noticed if I'm upset or stressed, it goes right to the hip flexors. It's like they are warning me to stay away from certain people, or activities.

@Krista, Thank you. That's good to know. Computers are pretty amazing.
 
Every little thing affects these hips. I think that stress and emotions affect them, too.
I 100% agree. Every new exercise affects my hips in some way or another at least for a short while. I also notice that when I'm having a blue phase or a very noticeable hormonal time, my hips are definitely affected.
Wow, that is really fascinating about the Bikram yoga bringing up emotional stuff for you. It would be interesting to study the physiology behind that. It seems there must be a body/brain/emotional connection for that to happen.
It kind of puts me in mind of this massage I had done a couple of times in Germany. It was a reflexology massage of the feet. It felt wonderful at the time, but both times afterwards I felt like absolute :censored: for several days afterwards. I thought the first time was a fluke, but it wasn't. I was also quite down emotionally while I felt unwell.
It was so odd to me because I was eating very clean at the time, exercising every day, and was at my optimum weight. I have always wondered why that happened.
I'm glad you're feeling more positive about the memorial. Honoring your friend is a lovely thing. Good thoughts will go with you! :)

@Hipster Girl, right now I believe, the Kindle Fire 7" is selling for around $40.00. Not bad! :)
 
Very interesting about the Bikram yoga and the reflexology foot massage - that's got me very curious...

@DeepBreath $40?? Wow, they really have come down in price, haven't they? Sounds like something affordable I could put on a Mother's Day wish list. :cool:
 
@DeepBreath, Yes, all of that fascinates me. In yoga, the hips are part of the second chakra. It has to do with relationships, sexuality, creativity, finances, and feelings. In Kundalini Yoga it is connected to the negative mind. It sounds like you were releasing after the bodywork. It's not easy, but most people feel a sense of relief after getting that negativity out of the system. It can be hellish. I think physical exercise helps a lot, too.

@Hipster Girl, I think the Kindle is a great idea! They're really neat. Your post about writing got me back into it yesterday. I spent all afternoon writing on my porch, and editing at my computer. It feels like the right move. I really want to put down on paper the experiences I had as a working dancer. I was so fortunate, and I don't want those memories to die with me.

Facebook has presented some challenges. One of the costume designers I worked with started picking apart my posts and becoming very argumentative. I unfriended him. He was making things so uncomfortable and tense. It felt like he was undermining my writing. It's a great place to post photos, though. You can catalog things. I'm pleased with how the wall of pictures is looking.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! it sounds like you had a very productive afternoon yesterday with your writing. I'm glad you are getting back into it. You are an excellent writer.

That's a shame about the costume designer getting all argumentative on you. I don't blame you for unfriending him. It reminds me of a local message board that I used to enjoy frequenting but has turned into a handful of people just arguing with others. I have never been able to understand why people take a medium such as Facebook that is supposed to be fun and a welcome distraction from our busy lives and all they want to do is argue. It's really baffling. You did good to unfriend him. Who needs it...
 
Back
Top Bottom