Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hi @DeepBreath, Thank you. I love homemaking, always have. I just think it makes such a difference to have delicious meals, a clean house, laundry put away, and homemade soap. You sound like you are really great with all of those domestic skills.

That must have been hard, supporting those men. Ugh. I'm glad you got out of those relationships. Your husband sounds really sweet. That is difficult when one person wants to spend money and expand, and the other partner has simpler needs. I totally can relate to how you feel about all of the work that a big house and lots of land would require. When you have had both hips replaced, that's the last thing you need. Even though my place is small, it is still a challenge for me to take care of everything. The weed whacking seemed like no big deal, but I'm still stiff a few days later. I feel like I always have to watch it. My house is 567 square feet, and my property is 7,400 square feet. It's plenty.

A lot of women that took my yoga class used to tell me that they just wanted a little house like mine, and to live alone. I think they were tired of always putting their family's needs first. It seems like artistic types do enjoy their own company. There's always something to do: practice singing, bake, knit, clean, garden, do yoga, read, etc...I'm sure you and your husband will find something that works for both of you. Maybe he could do the cleaning. That might change his taste in homes.

Today I mailed out my first soap order. I popped the second batch out of the molds, and will make a third batch tomorrow. I bought some olive oil in bulk at Costco. The manager there asked me why that's all I was buying. When I told her I was making soap orders for Mother's Day, her face lit up. "My grandmother used to make soap," she said. She asked me to come back and bring her a card. I'll take her a heart shaped sample guest soap. It's a lot of fun. Everybody takes a shower and washes their face, so it's an easy product to sell. I've got a new recipe with palm oil, olive oil, castor oil, and rain water. I'm excited to try it. The stick blender cut my preparation time. It was ready in five minutes! I've got to go do yoga. See you all later. Happy healing...
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! Hope all is well with you

Just reading about your soap making etc - that's brilliant. Go for it!

Re your soaps - are they all natural ingredients? Lots of people over here, my wife included, have problems with the chemicals in soap and other preparations applied directly to the skin. I'm no expert, but I can't believe it is any different over the pond ...

So, everybody takes a shower and washes their face, but the ingredients you use should not be underplayed in your marketing campaigns!

Stiff today after quite a bit of walking both with and without stick, which means a sensible, quiet today tomorrow. I think Graham Nash's new album is actually out tomorrow over here, in which case I shall be listening to it ...

Best wishes
Peter
 
@Readysetgo, I'm sorry. I meant to answer you first thing this morning, and I forgot. I got mixed up when reading the posts. I just remembered now, after finishing Bikram yoga. I really like it for rehab. I would be very careful, though. I don't have the heat. I think it would be too much for me. I also sit in a chair and rest between poses. I do them partially.

Let me know how an hour of gardening works for you. I think you are wise to be doing less. it's just not worth it to be so physical that you hurt yourself. That's too bad about your friend. I hope her knee heals well.

I'm glad you like the photos. I've been having fun taking them. Thank you for your kind and upbeat post. The old sink was square, and it had a huge crack in it for fifteen years. It was one of those Home Depot sinks with a cabinet. It came with the house. I kept waiting and hoping to find a pedestal sink.
 
@PS46, Hi Peter. You are right. I should stress that the ingredients are natural. You have to use this soap fairly quickly or it will go rancid. I make small batches. I don't use any preservatives or chemicals. I do use a mixture of fragrance and essential oils, but they are from a wonderful, reputable soap supply company in Seattle. A lot of people buy what are actually detergent bars. That's why they are so drying. I had never washed my face with real soap until now. The commercial soaps that my mom bought made my skin so tight. It felt like a mask. This has the opposite effect. It reminds me of Belgian chocolate. Quality makes such a difference. I may contact my old yoga and dance students, too. They might be interested.

Glad you're going to take it easy tomorrow. Enjoy the new album!
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I agree with you about homemaking although I am late to the party and only discovering this in recent years. The older I get the more I appreciate it.

That is so exciting about the lady in Costco. I have a feeling your business is going to take off by word of mouth. That is exciting about your stick blender. Hope you are having a good day! :SUNsmile:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Do you have a Facebook group in your area for home based businesses ?


RTHR February, 22, 2016
Posterior approach
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, the homemaking makes such a difference. I really appreciate the comforts of home now, too. Thank you for your encouragement with the soap. The new batch came out nicely. This time I used castor oil, palm oil, olive oil, and coconut oil. This one is a harder bar that lathers well. The stick blender really saves time. It went to trace in just three minutes!

@Simplieme, I'll have to check. That's a good idea. Thanks.

Today has been an emotional day. I feel like my mind has been slipping. I was listening to a podcast and ripping out the seam of a vintage style lace sweater that I made a few years ago. I need to redo the sleeve. I wasn't paying attention to what I was doing, and I undid part of the front of it. (instead of the seam that attaches the sleeve.) I was so upset with myself. I hope I can repair it. It seems like I do things like that all of the time now. I don't know if it's age, grief from the death of my mom, or aftereffects of the medications. I really get frustrated with myself.

I talked with a dancer friend in NY today for a long time. He also has had his hips done. He's in a lot of pain from a bad accident. It made me realize that I'm very lucky to be pain free, physically. He said it's hard for him just to stand. Life deals people unexpected blows. I feel for him. We had a nice chat. I need to call my friends more often...it's good therapy.

I've been meaning to mention that dry skin brushing has really been helping me. I don't know if any of you have tried it. It seems to really do positive things, on an energetic level.
 
What's dry skin brushing? The skin on my surgery leg is sooo dry. It looks like crinkled paper. My hair is falling out and my eye lashes are not very long anymore. All of these changes since surgery. So depressing sometimes
 
Oh @Arlene56 you're not old enough for that yet! Let's make sure you have smile lines not frown lines honey.
My surgery leg was really dry too! It's easily fixed by using an exfoliant scrub, and then lots of lotion. Don't forget to drink lots of water, that really helps too. I'm guessing your hair and eyelashes could be a hormone thing, you've had major surgery and its affected your whole body.
I've had skin brushing recommended to me too, but I will let @Hip Hip Hooray! tell you about it. I bought the brush but never got around to doing it regularly.
 
@Simplieme
You have raised my curiosity now. :loll:
I am so tempted to reach down to my surgery leg and plop a large glob of lotion on. Hopefully on Monday at my 6 wk postop restrictions will be lifted.
Hope you have a good wkend!
 
@Arlene56 No don't reach down yet!!! But you could get creative !!!! For instance ....... Remember @Zelda idea of using the long shoe horn with the hair remover??? :heehee: OR Let's see - a glob of lotion on some baking parchment on your bed and slide you leg on it -that way you get yo stretch too lol
 
My legs were really dry too. I bought one of those long handled shower brushes and vigorous exfoliating seems to be doing the trick.
The hair remover/shoe horn thing worked! I missed a few little bits but overall not a bad job!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! sorry about your sweater - I hope you can fix it. I think the mind slipping thing is normal for this stage of life and my research seems to support that idea. For those of us not doing any hormone replacement therapy we're having to endure some things we're not used to and it can be frustrating. My OB/GYN recommended black cohosh from the nutrition store as an alternative and it has similar effects as estrogen. But I have researched it as well and I've read about some side effects from it so I decided to do without.

That's great that you had such a nice chat with your friend in New York. Sad to hear he is in so much pain though.:sad:

I'm curious to hear about the dry brushing also. @Arlene56 the very dry skin is normal as is the hair and eyelashes thinning from the surgery. Rest assured it is temporary though. Give it a couple months and everything should return to normal. It did for me, and I experienced the same as you. I was worried all my hair was gonna fall out because it was coming out in clumps. It's now thick again and growing very fast. Enjoy it while it lasts - saves on $$$ for haircuts and color. :snork:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! weeeeeee about the first soap order and the interest you are seeing in your venture! I'm so happy for you. :)
Regarding the ladies who have also said they'd love to have a cottage like yours; I read a fascinating piece a couple of years ago about how women change as they approach and enter perimenopause. It stated that the chemicals in our brains that contribute to our nuturing side change. While we always tend to be giving, that overwhelming drive to do everything for everybody else lessens and we begin to consider our needs to be just as important.
I feel that is very true. I have no desire to clean up a big house. To have a beautiful cottage and land like yours sounds just lovely. I am sure that it all takes a lot of work and effort and the stiff hips are not surprising to me. I've always found that outside work especially taxes muscles in a surprising way for me. That thing that people say about 'I have muscles hurting that I never even knew I had' definitely rings true for me whenever I've done yard work, etc.
I hope you're having a terrific weekend and that the blues are keeping their pesky noses out of sight! :)

@Hipster Girl, I am the same when it comes to HRT and even the homeopathic alternatives. They all concern me.
 
hello @Hip Hip Hooray! Love, LOVE your fridge! I have a small, old fashioned kitchen and bought the usual huge fridge and have regretted it ever since.. my kitchen just looks and feels too cramped with it. I found out about the modern "vintage style" ones too late.
Dry brushing is a form of Lymph Drainage. It's a great way to start your day, gets the lymph flowing. I think it's to be done before you shower.. is that how you do it? I tend to do it more during the winter months for some reason.
https://wellnessmama.com/26717/dry-brushing-skin/
 
Hi Everyone, Thanks for the posts. Here's a better photo of the soap. I just popped the new batch out of the molds. I'll be back tomorrow to post.
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! wow, those soaps are just beautiful!!

@CricketHip good to "see" you! There is some good info on the dry brushing in the link you posted....now I'm gonna have to go out and get me a brush and give this a try - it sounds like there are a lot of benefits besides exfoliating, especially the increased energy and blood flow. I might have to try that in the morning in place of coffee. :wink:
 
Thanks for all the replies. I don't know that much about dry skin brushing. I just really like the way it makes me feel. Sea salt scrubs are nice, too. I just used some on my face this morning. I followed up with washing it with the olive oil soap. My skin feels so slick on the surface now. It's kind of fascinating to me how alive the skin is. It feels good to sluff on the dead skin particles.

@Hipster Girl, That's interesting about the black cohosh. When I was younger, don quai really helped me with PMS. I also like to do energy clearing baths. You bathe in up to a pound of baking soda and epsom salts, and soak for twenty minutes. (No soap.) It cleanses the aura.

@DeepBreath, I noticed that in my yoga students, too. I wonder if having children has something to do with it. I was more career driven. Everything else took a backseat.

I did the Bikram yoga yesterday. I felt a little bit of clicking in my hips on a couple of the poses, so I backed off. Now I don't go as far into them as I could. My neighbor called and asked me if I wanted three zucchini plants and a couple of beets that she grew in her garden. I said yes to both of them. We had a nice visit on her porch. I gave her some homemade soap. I better get out and plant that zucchini. I have some homemade compost that I can put in the planting holes.

I hope everyone here is doing well with their recovery.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Ooh, yum, zucchini! My favorite. :)
You are so wise about listening to what your body is telling you in regards to the exercise. It's just vital. We've been through enough of those stiff periods to know our joints and muscles are not messing around.
Okay, you've convinced me to try dry skin brushing. I ordered a boar bristle, long handled brush from Amazon. I have been bothered by dry skin on my legs, especially from the knee down since my surgeries. I'm interested to see how the skin brushing affects that and to see the other benefits as well. :)
 
Back
Top Bottom