Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

@Hip Hip Hooray! wow, $20 for those chairs is a steal! They are clearly very solid, sturdy, high quality chairs. And those miniature ballet slippers caught my eye right away - they are absolutely precious! How very sweet of your student. :yes:

There is something missing in bullies. They have a void in their own lives and feel "less than" so in order to artificially pump themselves up, they have to put down other people, in particular those who they are envious of, or feel insecure around. Instead of working on themselves and trying to improve, it's far easier to put other people down. It really is their problem, not yours, although recognizing what causes their behavior doesn't necessarily make it hurt any less when you're on the receiving end of their bullying and rude comments. I'm glad you recognize where the bullying comes from and that you take steps to avoid putting yourself in those unhealthy situations. I admire how in tune with yourself you are. I just had an idea - bullying would make a great topic for your blog - just a thought. :)
 
Hello @PS46 :) I'm sorry you had that experience. I just have to shake my head at people like that. I definitely know that it happens to males as well. Sometimes our comedy shows here in the states will talk about guys being bullied in their teen years. They'll speak of getting crammed into lockers, getting 'swirlies', and other really terrible physical things in addition to the verbal/emotional abuse. It hurts my heart. My son is a teen. He is tall and lanky, quiet, and while he enjoys sports he is not terribly good at them. I worry about him being bullied. I talk to him about it, hoping that he knows he can come to us if he's ever having problems.
I think you're right about some of the components of bullying. I hate that it happens, but it seems to continue no matter how times change.

Re: your question about toenail clipping, I clipped (some) of mine just this past weekend. The nails I clipped were on my first op side, so it had been about 6 and a half months since surgery. Now, that being said, I was terribly inflexible for some time prior to surgery and remain so. It's a slow work in progress. You might find you are able to do yours much sooner. Up until then I had been having my husband do it. It's an odd thing having to have your spouse do things like that for you. It *shouldn't* be a big deal, but it is somehow, isn't it?
 
Hi @PS46, I agree with what you said about the bullying. It is multi faceted. I'm also much more comfortable in small groups, or relating to people one on one. I'm going to honor that, too. I'm very drawn to the blogging. I'm also looking into Youtube videos. It feels right, and I'm getting a lot of ideas.

I hope you can reach those toenails soon. That was nice of your wife to offer. I remember how exciting it was to be able to shave my legs and trim my toenails again. It's the little things...you will get there.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Everything you said is to true. I like your idea of blogging about it. I'm seeing that a lot of it stems from family members and growing up in an alcacholic home. I don't have to experience that now. I'm going to be more choosy with the company I keep.

This morning my neighbor came over for coffee. She's the one that helped me with the watering after my surgery. She's really nice. We sat in the living room and chatted for about an hour. It was very pleasant and healthy. I helped her with her knitting.

Hi @DeepBreath, That was nice of you to defend that woman. I'm sure she really appreciated it. It's weird how people impose their choices on others. If you choose a non traditional path, it makes some people attack. I think some people feel that marriage and children are a sign of success. I look at being single as a choice, and some other people see it as a failure. I had a boyfriend last year, and it was a lot of work...especially with two bad hips! I felt a real relief after we broke up...

I'm glad you are stretching. It's so healing. I'm going to do yoga again today. Thanks for you post. You are so wise...
 
Hi @CricketHip, It's so great to hear from you. I'm thrilled that you are back at work, and doing so well. That's fantastic. Yes, I understand the concept of a new future. I am staying open to what is best and healthiest. This is a time of change and growth. I would love to send you some soap. Thank you. How exciting! Let's talk in a pm.

I'm glad you like the cottage photos. It's so much fun. Next I'll do some of the kitchen. That's everyone's favorite room. You sound so upbeat and happy. This surgery has been a great thing for all of us. We wouldn't have met otherwise...
 
Hi @DeepBreath and thanks for your toe nail advice! I just don't think I could let my wife do them - brilliant though she has been and so I have booked in with a local chiropodist for next Tuesday. I think, like a lot of things, you just know when you do a bit more, so I will just go with the flow for now. I bet somewhere you can buy extra long nail clippers, but with my eyesight I would probably amputate my toe

Re your son, between us, we have five children who are all now adults - depending of course on your definition of "adult"! During their teenage years, virtually without exception, their friends were great and they find their own level pretty easily. However I know we worry about them, but as long as they know we are always there to support and talk to them, there is not a lot more we can do

Bullying really does make my blood boil
Peter
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I do enjoy looking at the photos of your home. It's kind of classical - maybe a little bit like the antique English furniture (I go to England often because my husband is English). I would also enjoy seeing a picture of your garden in blossom if you have time. The daffodils and tulips are now blossoming where I live.
I like the idea of you writing a blog. I was thinking, maybe you can do that - and more - like writing for a magazine (possibly online), such as a home and garden magazine. I wonder if there is a magazine for knitting/needlework, or you could write for the clothes making section in a womens' magazine. It would be an idea, since you are knowledgeable in these fields and also very eloquent. A jounalist told me that while you can take a degree course in journalism, many of them studied something different first, and took up journalism later, for example, this journalism studied medicine and now writes for a specialised journal in dentistry. So you could do that for payed word.
It's interesting to hear that people should find it strange if you have no children. Me, on the other hand, I am regarded as a kind of freak because I have four daughters. That's unusual in Germany, which has one of the lowest birthrates in the world. Funny how there seem to be such differences among western countries, even though we have had the communications like internet for such a long time. I hope you the sad period has left you for good now so that you can look forward to happier things - Constanze
 
Hi @Constanze, Thank you for the compliments. I'm glad that you like the photos. Once the hollyhocks are in bloom, I'll take some more of the garden. I wrote for several years for a magazine called Dancer. They went out of business. I've also had a couple of things published in Backstage and The Smithsonian Archives.

That's so strange to me that people would react that way to you having four daughters. Cultural influence is very strong. Everyone's situation is so different. I need to focus on my goals, and let go of other people's opinions and judgements. I'm realizing that if I ruminate about what's bothering me, I attract more of the same behavior in people. My aunt used to say, "Rise above it."

Yesterday I finally bought a stick blender. They are used in soap making. It will speed up the process. I'm excited to use it. I'm making another batch of soap today. I'm really looking forward to it. It's a good feeling to have all of the ingredients and supplies.

Yesterday and today my hips were a little stiff from the weed whacking. I iced them last night, and skipped the exercise. (except for a short bike ride with the dogs.) It's funny how carrying any weight really aggravates them. The weed whacker is light, but it still causes a delayed reaction. It's nice to be pain free, though. Each morning I feel so relieved that I am now sleeping comfortably through the night. Nights used to be the worst. I want to do all I can to take care of these new hips.

I hope everyone here is doing well and seeing improvement.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I agree with your theories about how people view marriage and childbearing. I find it fascinating that even in this supposedly enlightened age, people are judged for such things. Some people are single. Some people choose not to have children. I simply don't see what the big deal is. I didn't get married until I was in my late 20's and I was very happy with that. I enjoyed my single days. This might sound kind of snooty of me, but I enjoy my own company. I'm not going to lie, your adorable cottage is my dream home, especially the size. I absolutely love the thought of having enough room, but not too much room. It's so easy for stuff to overtake our lives. Having a cozy place with precious things that mean a lot to you is much better than something ridiculously huge that is just filled with unnecessary stuff...at least in my opinion.
It comes through that your lovely furniture, your handknit goods, your hanging flower baskets, your dogs...these are the things that feed your soul. I think that's extremely grounded and wise. :)

@PS46, wise words...thank you! You know, regarding the long toenail clippers - I have not been able to find any that suit me. I found long nail scissors, but the handle is not really long enough for those who have a 90 degree restriction, plus the cut they give is horrible. You might as well gnaw the toenails off. If somebody were to come up with a really good pair of very long handled toenails clippers, they'd probably make a lot of money! :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm not surprised that you have had some of your writing published. You have a knack for writing that is very evident in your posts, which isn't surprising considering dancing and writing are both very creative professions.

You are so right to focus on your own goals and let go of other people's opinions and judgments. I have found that people who judge others are unhappy in their own existence so they transfer their unhappiness into fixing what they perceive as "wrong" in others so that they don't have to deal with their own issues. If someone wants to remain single or get married, have kids or not have kids, it is their business and no one else's. No one else has to live our lives but us.

I just got off the phone with my aunt. Today is the anniversary of her husband's death. She has started to casually see a widower in the past few weeks and she mentioned she hasn't told anyone but me and her son. She doesn't know how people will react or if they will think it is too soon. I am glad she opened up to me and was able to tell me about this person. There is a spark of excitement in her voice and I am just thrilled for her. It's too bad she feels she can't openly share this with others for fear of being judged. I told her the same thing, it is her life and no one else's, and if she can find companionship that makes her happy, she shouldn't have to worry about what others think about it. They don't have to live her life.

On the pictures, I keep meaning to ask I hope you will post a picture of your pink fridge! :)
 
Here you go!
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
(Drum roll please....)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - Oh I have enjoyed your photos so much! The sink is gorgeous! I actually pictured it with a square or rectangular top, but the round top is really pretty! Now those sweet doggies - they look exactly as I imagined them to.

The blogging sounds like a fabulous way to go! I'm sure you would have a good following in no time should you choose to pursue it. (Including me!)

It'll be interesting to see how gardening goes now for me. Like you, I used to work in the yard/garden for hours, sometimes all day. Will take your suggestion and try an hour at a time now and see how that goes. I don't want to push myself like I used to anymore. Sure, I want to stay active and all but healthy moderation has a whole new meaning for me with these 2 new hips.

I have an FB friend I don't see much anymore since we moved. She's an older mom like me in her 50's. She's a runner, skiier and very athletic. She recently posted a photo of herself on a trampoline in a kids' trampoline place with the caption "Don't attempt this after you're 40.". Turns out she did a flip and landed wrong, tearing her knee up. She was ambulanced to hospital for surgery and is on some knee machine for 6 hours a day now with a long recovery ahead. I feel so bad for her. (She has a 9 year old like me. She adopted. I finally used egg donation and gave birth to my daughter a month before I turned 49.) I posted that I hope her recovery goes really quickly and well.

Anyway, it just made me realize how things can change in an instant. Some things we can't control. But some things we can make wise choices about...

Would love to see more photos from you! You have also inspired me to look into Bikram yoga. I've always been interested and have heard great things about it.

Good luck with your creative explorations! And hugs to your doggies from me. :doggie: :)
 
Hi @DeepBreath, I'm so glad you like my cottage. Thank you. It's been a labor of love. I think it is somehow my life's work. People really respond to images of a small and simple abode. Our society has gotten away from home life, and maybe I will be able to bring that back, somehow. I really believe that our environment helps us to heal and thrive. My mom was an exceptional homemaker. The older I get, the more I respect what she did.

I believe everyone has a destiny, and for some of us that includes marriage and children, and for others, it doesn't. I enjoy chatting with the kids in my neighborhood. I just took a bar of soap to the little girl down the street. She's adorable. Sometimes she comes over, and I teach her to crochet. We have homemade cookies and tea.

Yesterday I helped my neighbor with a baby goat that she had just delivered. He's adorable. The horses and other goats all gathered around us in a semi circle. It was such a warm feeling. You could feel how excited everyone was, (especially the animals.) Another neighbor came, and she brought her two young daughters. One of the horses was stomping her foot. It was the sweetest thing.
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I think you are a great writer, too. Thank you for the encouragement. I've always loved it. I was so afraid of technology for many years. Now that I understand how to upload and download, I'm leaning towards a blog. It's a lot of fun. It reminds me of writing for a magazine.

I think you're right about people who judge others being unhappy in their existence. Everybody has a different life path. I have always been careful not to make choices that I would regret. I think many women are expected to do too much...I couldn't swing it. I'd rather do a few things, and do them well. I get overwhelmed easily.

I'm happy for your aunt. That's exciting. Love can come later in life. Carol Channing reunited with and married her first love when she was in her eighties!
 
Technology can be intimidating at first but now that you've gotten past that and you're seeing how fun it can be, there will be no stopping you. Glad you're enjoying it.

I absolutely LOVE the pink fridge!! The retro style was the perfect choice for your cottage and looks so pretty with your stove! :yes:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Enjoy your blender stick and the soap making.

I'm looking forward to the hollyhocks. I also find weed whacking exhausting and it makes my hips stiff. Isn't it funny how carrying heavy weight and hard garden work makes my hips stiff while running does not. My answer to the stiffness is to rest for a day and/or swimming and/or cycling. The non weight bearing exercise feels so good on the hips. Tell me, does your yoga help against stiffness?

Take care and keep up the positive attitude and the good work - Constasnze
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Baby goat...Squeeeeee! How fantastic! :) Also fantastic is your gorgeous pink fridge and your range. I love them!
I agree with you about homemaking. It's kind of fallen into an 'uncool' category recently, but I think it's very important and can absolutely be soul satisfying if you love it and make it a form of art.
I tell you friend, perhaps it's the road not taken thing, but I'm at an age where I look at things much differently and tend to look back on my life and my choices. Some, I am very happy with. Others...not.
I am not pleased to say that in my younger years I was one of those girls who always felt she had to have a man to feel 'complete', regardless of the man's suitability. I look back and want to thump myself for that. I had two semi long term relationships where I supported the man because they just couldn't be bothered to work after becoming involved with me. I ask my younger self, "Why?" I could have been living on my own...possibly have been paying a mortgage on a home of my very own rather than taking care of lay abouts who didn't deserve me.
When I met my husband he was so different. Solid, responsible, caring. He's a good man and I appreciate him greatly and love our family. The loner/introvert part of me wonders sometimes though, "What would it be like to live in a small cottage on my own?"
I guess I am thinking of this more often lately because it is a point of disagreement between me and my husband. He's due to retire soon and ultimately wants a house with lots of square footage and land. I do not. I think enough is plenty and I don't want to be working like a fiend until I'm 80 helping to pay off a bigger house than we need, and also cleaning it.
All we really need is space for us plus a bit of room for when our kids eventually come to visit.
I'm sure we'll reach a middle ground, but I do admire how you have your little slice of heaven and have made it truly your own.
Sorry for the rambling...I'm in a thinking mood today. :)
 
@Hipster Girl, Yes, it's a lot of fun. I love the pink fridge, too. It was quite a splurge, but I saved up and paid cash for it.
@SweetPea69, Thank you. Creativity is so important. I feel much happier when I am doing something artistic.
@Constanze, That is pretty amazing that you get stiff from gardening, but not running. Yes, the yoga does help. My hips are still stiff today. It's weird. It's very mild...barely noticeable. I've taken it easy as far as exercise the past couple days. I find using the jacuzzi and sauna helps, too. The hollyhocks should be opening soon. Take care.
 
Back
Top Bottom