Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hi @Hipster Girl, Thank you for the compliment. The soap has been such a treat. I'm amazed at how much softer my face feels from using it. The whole chemical aspect of it fascinates me.

it took me a long time to get debt free. I did the Dave Ramsey method. Now I need to increase my income. There's a woman in Australia who has a blog called Down To Earth. It's very successful, and she does a lot of advertising on her blog. I like that idea. I used to work as a writer, and I really enjoyed it. There are some excellent opportunities available on the Internet.

You are right about miserable people. I've known for a long time that the knitting group I mentioned was unhealthy for me, but I kept going back. That's part of the lesson, to stay away from people who treat you abusively. It's just a lifestyle for them.

Being out in nature today was exhilarating. I'm so lucky to have a piece of land where I can grow food and absorb the vibes of Mother Nature. I mulched everything heavily this year, and it's really made a difference. I found lots of red wigglers today in the compost pile. They are so good for the soil.

I hope you are enjoying your workouts and time at home. I need to do some cleaning and organizing inside, like you are doing. Take care...

I hope @DeepBreath is okay...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - I loved the photo of your soaps! So very beautiful! I'm glad they are making your skin feel great, too. Your house looks charming. Now that you're posting pix, it would be fun to see a pic of your stove and/or the pedestal sink.

I'm sorry you've had the blues on and off lately. You have so many wonderful talents and skills. It must be difficult to decide which creative path to pursue. You have so many choices! Maybe it might be nice to try to make a bit of money pursuing one of your talents and just see how it feels, like just dipping your toe in the water? Even if it was say, selling a few soaps or sweaters to a local retail store/gift shop? I know actual stores don't give a good profit but it could be a tangible start- seeing your merchandise in the window or on the shelves and then collecting a check because people loved them and bought them? After dancing, I got very interested in the visual arts and wanted a career where I could be creative without always looking for the next gig. I started designing frames with buttons and knick knacks and stuff and sold them in shops. (This was sort of pre- Internet.) It eventually led me to go back to school to study textile design, which I absolutely loved and did for many years, working for several companies. It also inspired me to finally leave New York City. I eventually moved to New England and ended up working for the same textile company for 6 years. Some of my closest friends are from that job.

Anyway, sorry to have gone on like that... Just wanted to say that your work is inspiring and beautiful- whether writing, knitting, soap making, dancing, baking, gardening, designing your home, etc. ! Good luck with whichever paths you decide to pursue! You never know what could happen!

I also feel bad that your knitting group had to go so jealous and downright silly and mean on you. I really hope you can find another knitting group with women who are more decent.

Your garden sounds so lovely. How amazing to have an orchard! I can't wait to start my garden again. No fruit, but veggies, herbs and some flowers. I'm hoping gardening is easier with 2 new hips.

Wishing you a really great weekend! :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm glad you are feeling rejuvenated today. Being out in nature like you are is very therapeutic. How exciting that your irises are blooming after such a long dormancy!

From what I know of Dave Ramsey's method, he cuts right to the chase and it's very effective. He used to have a radio show (maybe still does) and I would catch it from time to time and really enjoyed listening to his no-nonsense approach.

I agree about @DeepBreath - I hope she's okay...I miss seeing her posting.:sad:
 
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
Hi Guys! I'm messing around with the mini ipad. Here's one of the sink. I'll write more soon.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
Just love to read your threads. You are very articulate. Your home and life sounds like a fairy tale!! Having an orchard would be wonderful. I hope your crops prove to be good this year.
Are your soaps good for acne? Have you heard of the company called "Lush"? They are fairly new here in the states. They have a wide variety of soaps etc.
I mirror what others have said that you have so many talents to choose from. It seems like you are a very motivated and determined person.
Hope you have a good wkend!
 
Hi @Readysetgo, I think you will find gardening is much easier with two new hips. I'm really happy with how mine feel when doing yard work. I used to do several hours, now I stop after an hour, just to see how I feel after a day or two. That's great that you grow vegetables, herbs, and flowers. I just love what a garden does to the atmosphere. My backyard still needs a lot of work, but I am going to get out there every morning and do what I can. How nice that you met such good friends through your career change. It sounds like you were right on track with your choice to move to New England.

Hi @Hipster Girl, I know. I hope @DeepBreath is okay. I get a little worried about people and these hips. She mentioned she was having trouble getting on line. Hopefully that's all it is. Yes, Dave Ramsey does cut right to the chase. He still has the radio show. I listen to his free podcasts. I have them playing as I do my housekeeping. He's really helped me to cut my expenses and to stay out of debt. I find the formulas fascinating. They really do work.
 
Hi @Arlene56, Thank you for the encouragement. I feel best about the blog. People seem to resonate with the home and garden. Plus, it's really fun to take photos and post them. It's motivating me to clean up my messes!
It looks like the orchard will produce well this year. The citrus trees are covered with blossoms and tiny fruits. I have a lot of hummingbirds, and they pollinate the orange and lemon trees very thoroughly.

I don't know if my soaps would help acne. I feel like the cause of acne is more related to emotional pain and stress. I had some outbreaks in my twenties when I was eating a lot of candy and sugar. I don't think soap would have helped it. My dog gets skin infections when she is upset or worried. (She was abused, and she can't be around men who make her feel unsafe.) If she's near an alcoholic, she panics. (Even if they are driving by!)

The only way I've figured out how to post photos is if I first upload them to Facebook. After that they are the right size to post here. I'll wait a few days to put up a photo of the stove. I don't want to overpost on Facebook. I really enjoy seeing photos of people's homes. It fascinates me. I'd love to see some of yours, too. I've got to catch up on everyone's threads.

Thank you for the help and inspiration. I really appreciate the good vibes from all of you. I can feel it. I send you all healing and energy!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!
Your posts & photos are an inspiration to me for several reasons--you articulately address the mental issues we face, you work toward active solutions i.e. yoga, working in the garden, doing for others & yourself with your beautiful creations & your photos are beautiful. Like @Simplieme, I'd have to tidy up to take home photos , but yours are inspiring.
As I said earlier, your statement about taking the time each day to feel & release the emotional pain has provided me hope. It is also wonderful to hear that with the bilateral THR you are so active now. Please continue to post because I think you are helping many of us.
Thank you,
SweetPea69
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm loving the pics!! Your home is so cozy looking and I can see why you were so excited about your pedestal sink - what a find! Glad you are feeling better. :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm here, friend! Just took a few days off to spend with The Boy during his spring break. :)
I'm so glad you're feeling rejuvinated. :) I'm terribly sorry you were stuggling so with the blues. It's easy to do with the surgery. I'm not sure about you, but my stage of life has really been a contributing factor to my down phases.
I can feel sad, angry, elated...all within a short time. It's irritating. I like even keel.
I'm really proud of you for knowing that knitting group is not healthy for you and for standing up for yourself! They, quite honestly, sound like a bunch of :censored:
Why should they worry who you knit for and what business is it of theirs if you knit yourself a sweater and wear it? Instead of branding themselves a 'knitting club' they should keep it real and advertise as 'A group of miserable malcontents who gather to stew in a shared toxic environment'.
Sorry...:blush: Being 'salty' is also a part of my current life stage. I find I have very little patience for fools or mean people. *Hugs* I'm glad you're concentrating on positive things. You have a knack for finding the artistic, organic pleasures. That is good for the body and soul! :)
I love the pictures you posted! The soaps look lovely, as do your knitting projects and your sink. I think a blog would be great. People are very interesting...their differing experiences, etc. I have a few blogs I follow and I find them to be so entertaining and insightful.
Keep up the good work, friend. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Simplieme, Thanks. I'm so glad you like the photos. It's a lot of fun. I was so afraid of technology, and now I'm really enjoying it. I have my messes, too, believe me! Most of them are in cupboards.

Hi @Hipster Girl, Thank you. It's a 567 square foot cottage. Like you said, it's very cozy. I've been trying to pare down what I own. That makes it easier to clean and stay organized. There is still much work to be done, but I'm getting there.

@SweetPea69, You made my day. I really appreciate what you said. I got to see the photos of your work on your thread. Wow! Gorgeous! I am pleased with how active I am now. I still have to pace myself, because I want to do it all. I remind myself to budget my activity and/or exercise. I weed whacked the backyard today. It's looking so much better. It's a relief to finally be able to take care of my home and garden responsibilities without having to hobble. It's such a difference compared to last year!

@DeepBreath, I agree about the stage of life. Also, my dad has made some comments to me that are upsetting. He's said, "You're going to have to get a job." It just stings, because the things I was hoping for have not happened. I feel grateful that I can now take care of my home and yard. Having an elderly parent is kind of stressful. I worry about him a lot. I need to just let go of that negativity. I talked with my brother yesterday, and that helped.

You are right about that knitting group. It's unhealthy. I am knitting at home today. I did my laundry, and had a nice visit with one of my neighbors. I redoing the sleeves on a lace sweater that I knit a few years ago. They were sort of off, and didn't quite match. Now I understand the pattern and can make it right. I'm also darning a pair of socks. They're alpaca, and the toes have worn. I saved the leftover yarn, so it will look nice when they're finished. There's nothing like hand knit socks!

Thanks for all the posts. It's so much fun to talk with you all...I hope everyone keeps posting photos. It makes it so much fun to see things and people in color!
 
I'm doing the same thing @Hip Hip Hooray! as far as trying to pare down what I own. It's not easy, is it? I have had some very lean times in my life so I do find it hard to part with some things "just in case I might need it someday". I'm getting much better about this. Paper clutter for me is the worst. Having worked in an office for so many years, the last thing I ever wanted to do when I got home was go through more paperwork.

I noticed your chairs all have arms which of course is great for someone who's had THR. Funny how I never would have noticed something like that before but it's something that catches my eye now. I bet the arms made it much easier for you during recovery. I had to go out and purchase a chair with arms. It was something I had never even thought about before my hip surgeries.

Is that a pair of ballet slippers on the desk behind Lana?

@DeepBreath well worded friend on the knitting group. I was nodding along as I was reading your post. Very well said. I am in the same place as you having very little patience for mean people. I just don't have much tolerance for it anymore. Life is so short, I don't understand why so many people choose to spend it angry & bitter. More & more, I appreciate Bonesmart so very much. I find myself in awe over the warmth & caring of people on this site. :roseshwr:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I know what you mean. Sometimes after a purge, I regret giving away some of my things. I try to buy good quality items that will last. I feel the same way as you do about paper clutter. I need to go through some of that today. It's easier now that I pay most of my bills on line. Yes, that is a pair of ballet slippers, (well, miniature pointe shoes,) behind Lana. One of my little ballet students gave those to me. She had them tied to my Christmas present as a decoration. I saved them. She was so sweet...

Yes, you're right about the chairs. I bought both of those for $20.00 a piece at the Salvation Army. They're so well made. The wood is really solid, and they are both very comfortable.

I feel the same way as you do about bullying. I'm just shocked at how often it happens in groups of women. Part of it is just having different values. Their lives revolve around their husbands and children. I don't have either. One woman said to me, "You don't have ANY children?" as if it was a huge weakness. It was a conscious choice. I was on tour for over 15 years, and that doesn't work with a baby. But, I don't feel like defending my decisions with people like that. Life is too short. I'm happy with my how things evolved. My dogs and plants are my babies.

I think a lot of people can't control their emotions. Maybe the anger and bitterness that you mentioned is normal to them. I also think people act in a group the way they act at home. If they live in an abusive, dysfunctional environment, they take that with them. My challenge is to stop returning to those situations.

I've read a lot about bullying, and one thing that struck a chord with me was this idea. The bully sees something in you...something they will never ever have. I've found that to be true.

Anyway, I got the whole backyard weed whacked and did my laundry yesterday. I want to do the Bikram yoga today, wash the sheets, and look more into starting a blog. It's amazing what you can do from your home these days. I think that's the way to go...no overhead. Plus, these ipads are so useful.

Take care, everyone! Thanks again for the support. I really appreciate it.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Oh, those sweet doggie faces! :roseshwr: How precious!
@Hipster Girl, you and I seem to be of one mind when it comes to mean people. :wink:
I will never understand people, especially women, who judge other women for their reproductive choices. Parenting is not for everybody. I admire people who know their minds on this and live those convictions.
Part of my place in the military community has been working with family readiness groups. I became more involved in these in recent years. I had a negative experience with them when I was a new military spouse and wanted to hopefully make a difference in the ones in which I was involved.
As in any group of females, the subject of motherhood would inevitably come up. At our last duty station there was a wife who was in her early 30's and had no children. She was shy and could come across as a bit distant, but I knew from talking to her that she was quite warm and engaging when you took the time to get to know her. At one function the subject of babies came up. One of the women asked the shy lady when she was going to have kids. She answered that she wasn't...it just wasn't something she saw herself doing. I saw the first woman get that *look* on her face and opened her mouth to, I assume, query her about her reasons.
I am not confrontational and I'm pretty easy going. Something sparked in me just then though and I said, "That's not why we're here and we are not going to talk about this. Everybody has a right to their own choices." and I changed the subject. Everybody (including me) was surprised. The commander's wife winked at me (gosh, she was a fun, spectacular lady) and after the function was over the shy gal came up to me to say thank you.
There was no need, of course. I dislike people questioning other people's choices in a snide manner. An honest dialogue is one thing, but that judgemental stuff makes me angry.
Anyway...sorry for that rant. I'm just sorry that you encountered that.
Bullies are a fascinating thing. Why they do what they do remains a mystery to me. I am quite sure, however, that they are deeply unhappy with themselves. It's sad, but what a poor choice to try to make others feel badly in order to try to boost one's self.

I have been slowly integrating some more stretching exercises into my workout routine. My toenail clipping has inspired me to gently work on my flexibility. :)

I hope you have a terrific day, friend!
 
Hi @DeepBreath

You make some very pertinent points about bullying. It really is a dreadful and very complex issue and I imagine most of us have experienced it at some points in our lives. It is definitely not limited to women! I remember it happened to me a long time ago at work - the first real job I had post University. Like most of us, I really could not understand what I had done to deserve it and just carried on regardless. Eventually, I confronted him in a pub (it was difficult, because he was twenty years plus older than me). It stopped immediately, but was never far from the surface

I thought about it a lot at the time and it was most definitely a combination of jealousy and a perception of inadequacy on his part. Eventually I changed job. Life is just too short etc., but that took some time, because I was damned if I would let him get the better of me and in a perverse sort of way, I wanted to help him. That must sound crazy!!

It is so multi faceted, I can really see your dilemma/s @hip hip hooray

Btw, blogging is a really good idea. My younger son works as a brand manager for a large company (better not say who!) and whenever they launch a new product, specialist bloggers are really key stakeholders. I never realised that until he explained how influential they are these days

And finally ... @DeepBreath, how long post op were you before you could cut your toenails? My wife has offered to do them, but I think I would rather go to our local chiropodist until I can do them myself

Best wishes
Peter
 
hello to you @Hip Hip Hooray! I am sorry that you have been processing some deep emotions. But I have complete faith in you and the process. When your body and mind has recovered enough you WILL find your dream job.. just be sure to keep your eyes and ears open to the messages that are whispering to you. I think you are, you are so in tune with yourself and your surroundings.
When we do Reiki, we start by asking for what is right for us-or for the person we are helping. Its not always beneficial to ask for a specific thing or a specific outcome because it may not be in the best interest of the person in need (or ourselves) I hope that makes sense. For example, I just took on a case where a woman has been placed on Hospice ( cancer that has spread) I asked her her goal and she had a nice one. That while she wants to continue fighting, she also wants the strength and ability to pass with dignity. So, when I started her session I asked for what is best for her.. and it was a good session.
I took a wonderful continuing ed class last weekend. Ethics and How to Have Mindfulness in Your Practice.
I thought of you a few times while in class. I think you are very mindful in all that you do and have also noticed that I seem more present in all that I do, too, now. Nothing like a good bit of time recuperating to help reset your values.
Your photos are really special.. I love the doggies! And the sink.. And the chairs.. And the one of you in your sweater was awesome!

If you have any spare soaps? I would lovely some,, I maybe a half dozen to start? I could send you a check first and then you could mail them to me. I enjoy giving homemade soaps as client gifts. And maybe a couple of them could be "gifted" to me from me!!
One more thing, the photo of your cottage was perfection! I can so see you living there. You are going to be just fine. You just had a tough year. hugs to you!!
 
Back
Top Bottom