Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hi @DeepBreath, Thank you. The Etsy shop is a good idea. You can sell things on Facebook, too. My neighbor said that you can even collect payments through Facebook, and that there's no charge. It would be worth doing. Now that I know how to upload photos, I feel more confident. It seems like on line businesses are the way to go in this economy. Also, both items are easy to ship.

I am counting my blessings, and that helps. It's wonderful to be able to sleep so well every night. I didn't realize what I had lost before this surgery. The weather has been gorgeous; it's perfect for bike riding. Today I'm going to go to my knitting group. This new crochet pattern is a lot of fun. It's challenging, but not too hard. The first one I looked at made my head spin!

I may do 15 mins. of cardio at the gym, and use the jacuzzi. I think exercise really helps the mental state. I also tend to absorb people's moods, so I need to watch the company I keep. I made some lavender tea, and it was quite nice. I put a cup of it in my bath water, too.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm sorry you have been feeling down but it is so understandable. Aside from the pay, we also derive such a sense of purpose and self-worth from our work. I really believe deep down that you are going to find the perfect job and it will have been well worth waiting for.

I think the Etsy shop is right up your alley as well as selling through Facebook. What a treat to be able to make some money selling items you actually enjoy making. The baby blanket sounds precious! Your neighbor will treasure it, no doubt. I'm glad you are enjoying your soaps - I bet they smell heavenly.

Hope you have a good workout at the gym. I couldn't agree more on exercise's effect on the mental state. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. Now that I am not working, I am going to be at the gym on a regular basis - I need it as much for my mental state as I do my physical state. Also when life seems out of control, such as with job loss, I enjoy exercise even more because I find it gives me that much needed sense of control over something in my life. I am heading to the gym shortly myself.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I agree 100% about exercise and its effect on our mental state. It's sometimes hard to get moving, but it's vital that we do.
I am something of a loner and am definitely an introvert and home body. I admit I have to push myself to get out and walk, but oh my goodness, what a huge difference it makes!
I think you'd do great with an online shop. I had no idea you could collect money through Facebook! You learn something new every day. :)
I'm glad you enjoy your knitting group. It does sound like such a wonderful creative outlet. I can only imagine what that first pattern must have been like after having seen your intricate sweater. If it made your head spin it must have been a doozy!
The lavender tea and bath sound amazing. I need to make myself a batch of lavender epsom salts. I absolutely LOVE that to soak in. :)
Enjoy your day and the lovely weather, friend! :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I hope you had a good workout at the gym. I agree with everything that you said. I also enjoy the social aspect. I've met a lot of friendly, positive people there. I like the group energy on the floor.

I have found that I really identify with my work. I was getting affected by the attitude of some people towards those who they perceive as "not working". I read articles about that on Facebook, and sometimes it aggravates me. Oh well. I need to just keep plugging away, and not take those things personally.

My vocal coach is giving a workshop in April and May. I've taken it a couple of times before, and it has really helped me to develop audition material. I am considering taking it a third time. It costs $400. It's also a 30 minute drive down to Hollywood. I'm not sure. Part of me wants to do it, and the other part doesn't want to spend the money. We'll see.

I've been working on a crocheted sweater. It's fun. I went to that knitting group yesterday. The combination of personalities wasn't good. I left early. Some of the women act very envious and resentful when I make sweaters and wear them. They see it as selfish. I really enjoy the creative process, and would like to sell the items. Also, the conversation became political, and that takes the fun out of it. Oh well. I think sometimes women get competitive in groups. I'm not interested in that sort of thing. I enjoy seeing what others are making, and I like to encourage them. I brought some homemade snickerdoodles and a bag of salt and pepper pistachio nuts to share. Both were a hit.

The weather here has been glorious. It's perfect for bike riding. I think I'll do some gardening today. The plants look so healthy.
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Your lavender epsom salts sound so fragrant. Do you use lavender essential oil? I've been making the tea, and it's delicious. I love fresh peppermint tea, too.

Yes, exercise is great for discharging negative energy. I notice that my dogs really need that release, too. I'm going to do the Bikram yoga series again today. I feel like it's getting into the muscles I need in the legs. I want to tone the thighs. When I was dancing, I never had to worry about that...now that area needs attention.

The chain on my toilet broke. I'm going to search Youtube, and see if I can fix it. I hope so, plumbers are expensive. I hope everyone is doing well with their new hips...
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, it makes a huge difference. I take some time each day to feel and release the stuck emotional pain. I think the surgery itself also caused a lot of grief. !

@Hip Hip Hooray!
Thank you for posting about taking some time each day to feel & release the stuck emotional pain! I was just catching up on your posts, read that this morning & needed to hear that message this morning.

BTW--Your sweater is just beautiful! Hopefully you can get some of the items you make sold on Facebook or Etsy. I make felted & nuno-felted scarves & shawls & am anxious to be able to be on my feet enough where I can do that again. We are currently having a room converted for me to work in. It has great light & I will be so excited to get in there!

Again, thanks for your encouragement to all. We never know how our messages will help others. Have a fun day doing something you love!
SweetPea69
PS--This is my first try at inserting a quote. I hope it works. ☺️
 
Hi @SweetPea69, Thank you for your post. Your quote worked. The scarves and shawls sound exciting. I'd love to see a photo. Your new workroom sounds ideal, too.

I'm feeling much better today. I opted out of the musical theater workshop, and felt a huge sense of relief. I remember the last time I took it there was a problem with bullying. I can't be in that sort of environment anymore. It's too toxic. I will just continue to work on my songs each day at home. Going to auditions is good practice, and it's free.

I let myself cry a little more yesterday, and it was such a release. My dog Lana came up to the couch and leaned against me. She is such a sweet, sensitive being. I'm seeing that I've got to get rid of the old negative emotions to make space for light, healing energy. It really seems like our bodies store energy. I sat out on the porch and crocheted, too. It helps to be out in nature. The sunshine, birds, and plants are very soothing to the spirit. One of my neighbors stopped by with her two little girls, and we chatted. She is really sweet. I went over to her house to see her new puppy. What a cutie! My neighbor's daughter gave me a chocolate muffin that her mom had just baked. It was delicious.

I did Bikram yoga at home again yesterday. I can already see a difference in the muscle tone. It's encouraging. It feels like the ideal way to work the legs and hips. There's no forced external rotation, yet I'm able to engage the muscles that had gotten soft and squishy while I do the standing poses. I'm excited about it. The best thing is, it's free!

I've been making big salads every afternoon, and that feels great. Today is our watering day. I'm looking forward to getting out in the garden. The hollyhocks are getting ready to bloom. They are as tall as the house! I hope everyone else is doing well with their recovery.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! for my epsom salts I just use fresh lavender that I strip off the stems and mix up with the salt. I've never used the essential oil. I may have to try that!
*Hugs* for your tears. Letting it out is a good thing. Lana sounds amazing. I just love animals. They are truly the best creatures. :)
Oh my goodness, your hollyhocks sound gorgeous! I love them.
Take good care of yourself and enjoy your yoga. :)
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! it sounds like opting out of the musical workshop was the right thing to do. There's no sense to purposely subject yourself to a toxic environment if you can help it, not to mention paying $400 for it. Sorry to hear about some of the ladies in your knitting group acting envious. I don't understand that mentality at all - I would think they would be happy for you and inspired by the beautiful sweaters you are making and wearing, especially because it is a knitting group. Just know it's their problem, not yours and I hope it doesn't discourage you from continuing to do what you love. People like that just make me want to :hissy:

Your dog Lana sounds so sweet and sensitive to you. What kind of puppy does your neighbor have?

Good for you on allowing yourself to feel those emotions and release them naturally - it is so healthy to do that instead of pretending they don't exist like so many people do. Crying is a wonderful release. The only way out is through, I always say.

I'm glad you are able to get out in nature - I agree it is so very soothing. Glad you are enjoying beautiful weather, bike riding, and yoga. :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I'm glad you're feeling better - no more post-op (or other) blues. From what you post here, I think you are basically a very happy and cheerful person. And this has a cheering-up effect on other people.

I can relate to you about steering clear of toxic environments. I hope that most people who go to knitting group are not jealous. Your knitting and crocheting is very professional. I've had that experience, too that people (including my dad) say you mustn't talk about your good work, or good grades at school, and or show it around (like in the classroom, on Facebook, in the group etc.) and that this is showing off and selfish. In my case, it's learning foreign languages. I have enjoyed that ever since I was a teenager and I like traveling to other countries, and then use the languages.

But far from being selfish and showing off, we are just happy about our results and want to share the happiness with others. But there are always people around who are jealous. And, yes, I'd agree with what you say about women - they tend to be competitive in groups - this also becomes apparent in a working environment.

I'm very pleased you are working on songs. Do you write and compose songs? Do you also play a musical instrument? I had treble recorder and violine lessons at school, and in my late teens - I also played the guitar - not very professionally, just strumming around and singing along. I also made two short songs of my own as a teenager. It's very soothing when you can sing and play music. You can get rid of your blues that way. I also sing along with the car radio during my long drive to work and home from work. Sometimes I go on my bicycle. I enjoy that, too - the only snag is no music.

Do carry on posting here - and let us know how the garden, the knitting, and the songs are getting along. Take care - Constanze
 
Hi @DeepBreath, That's a great idea. I'll have to try that with the lavender. I have a huge bush growing along the side of my cottage. It's such a nice fragrance. I made some more of the tea.

@Hipster Girl, Thank you for your post. I am so relieved that I opted out of that workshop. I was feeling really agitated and worried about it. I'm learning to listen to my body, and to not put myself in unhealthy situations. My neighbor has a labra-doodle. She's adorable. Such a nice combination. I think the Bikram yoga is really bringing up my stuff. I remember last time I did it this happened. It's hard for me to face the dark, negative emotions. I'm writing in my journal and trying to move them out of the body. I just feel more irritable lately. I'm even short tempered with my dogs. I am grateful that my hips are healing so well on a physical level. On an emotional level, however, I am at a low point. Oh well. When I get that way, I avoid groups and triggers. Going to the gym yesterday helped. I like the energy there. I think the sauna is great for releasing toxins, too. Hopefully I sweat out some of my toxic emotions. I think being out of work for so long has caused me extreme frustration and exasperation. It is what it is. Things could be much worse, and I am fortunate to be debt free and to have my needs met. I just really miss the satisfaction and well being I got from going to work each day.
 
Hi @Constanze, I always enjoy reading your point of view. Actually, I am dealing with the blues on a daily basis, but am trying to shift my focus and count my blessings. Thank you for saying that I cheer people up; I try not to complain. I know I can slip into that at times. Art helps me to heal and to work towards something higher.

That's interesting what you said about what your dad believes is showing off and "being selfish". I like to be around people who are ambitious and successful. It thrills me. I stood up to the women in the knitting group who were picking fights with me. I think it shocked them. One said that it was easier for me to make sweaters, since I'm small. "No," I countered. "It's more yarn, and it takes more time, but it's the exact same pattern." She didn't like me contradicting her. They are from poor families in poor countries. It's hard for me to converse with them, because they bad mouth America, and put down everything about living here. I wish people who feel that way would just go back home. I even told one of the women that if she didn't like our schools, teaching, etc...that she was welcome to go back to Canada. It seems like our nasty political climate has really affected the way people talk to each other. I'm just tired of sarcasm, put downs, and the like. Now that my hips feel stronger, I'm speaking up, and it causes conflict. I'm the only person in the group that was born here. I feel a lot of clash with these women. The same woman said in a sickly sweet tone, "You made something for your family? Look, she made something for someone else." (I've made all of the gifts for my parents, friends, and neighbors. I just don't broadcast it.) They perpetuate this image of me as rich, spoiled, and self centered. I'm just sick of it. Sometimes diversity doesn't work. Oh well. It's a choice to go there or not. I do better in small groups, or one on one. I think it's bad for business to have customers acting this way. Those of us who make our sweaters are the ones buying the yarn. As you can see, the conversation there is pushing my buttons.

I don't play a musical instrument, except my feet. I was a tap dancer with Gregory Hines and some other wonderful talents. Now I am afraid to tap, because I don't want to jar anything loose. I really miss it. It was so much fun, and great exercise.

Last night I watched an incredible video on Leonard Bernstein. It was so inspiring. I didn't realize how many years he struggled through lean times. It really helped me to hear his voice, and listen to him teach. I got to work with many people on that level of genius, and I really miss it. Youtube is such a great source of artistic material.

I made a delicious chocolate cake yesterday. It's a vintage recipe. I took some down to the neighbor that helped me with my watering after my hip surgery. I'd forgotten what a treat it is to have a piece of cake. She gave me a dozen eggs from her chickens. Fresh eggs are fantastic. I hope you are all doing well. Sorry for the negativity. This is just where I am right now. Hopefully it is temporary.
 
Don't take your chocolate cake to your knitting group @hip hip hooray, they may not like that either .... Pity you can't send it over the pond, I wouldn't have a problem at all!

My RTHR in March was my first and I absolutely agree about the confidence thing. I think a lot of it is down to a perception of vulnerability (and I am sure everybody feels that way). You think you can't do anything, people are going to walk into you etc. But it does get better - so hang on in there!

I play the ukulele (nowhere near as professionally as your dancing) and we are alway looking for new songs. I love YouTube and it has been a great friend during my sleepless phases. I have been listening to a lot of songs from the 20's, 30's and 40's etc - things I would never have tried before. My current favourite is "I Wish I Could Shimmy Like my Sister Kate" - brilliant. I have also become an even bigger fan of Billie Holiday, what an amazing voice

Anyway, just to let you know that you have some moral support

Best wishes
Peter
 
Good for you sticking up for yourself @Hip Hip Hooray! I know I wouldn't be able to tolerate too much of the attitude that is prevalent with that group. I don't understand people like that - they are clearly miserable and delight in making everyone else around them miserable too. If they don't like this country, I would ask if someone is holding a gun to their head forcing them to stay. That may sound harsh but really, why do they stay here if they dislike it so much? :scratch::scratch: Makes no sense. And their sarcasm over who you make your knitting gifts for? I don't know how you've held it together as long as you have. Is there another knitting group close by that you could go to instead of this one? Maybe another group will have nicer members?

Your cake sounds delicious. How nice of you to share it with your neighbor. I'm sure she loved it. What a nice treat that she gave you some fresh eggs from her chickens. I'm glad you have such a friendly and thoughtful neighbor - I bet it is so refreshing to be around someone like her after dealing with the bad attitudes at the knitting group.

I hear ya on facing the dark, negative emotions but stay encouraged. The way you are handling it is dealing with them and not just pushing them aside, so when it's all said and done, you will be in a much healthier place. Journaling like you are doing is a great idea and very helpful. Sweating out the toxins at the gym is good too, as is crying as a release. I totally understand how you feel about being out of work causing frustration. Although I'm newly unemployed, it sounds like you and I both get a great deal of satisfaction and fulfillment from our jobs and it is hard when we don't have that. This is temporary for both of us though - we just don't know when that job is coming along but it is coming. :yes:

Hang in there friend and feel free to vent away on here - we are here for you. :)
 
49968[/ATTACH]
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
Thank you for the posts. I really appreciate your kindness. I'm playing around with my mini ipad. Here is a photo of my first batch of soap.
 
@PS46, Your comment about the chocolate cake made me laugh. I wish I could share it with you. Thank you for the moral support. I feel so much better now. I guess it does help to get those things off of your chest.

Good luck with your music. Yes, Youtube is incredible. I use that instead of television. I'll have to catch up on your thread...
 
@Hipster Girl, Thanks for your take on the situation. It really makes me feel better to read your words. The other group is better. But, even the leader of that group has made comments to me. One time she said, "It's supposed to be about doing for others..." I've made her pot holders and soap. She doesn't finish her projects, and she doesn't like what she makes. She's very critical and perfectionistic. I think it also has to do with body image. I really like knitting clothes. I'm not going to stop because some of the ladies are controlling about it. My aunt used to tell me, "Consider the source." My father always said, "Misery loves company." That cracks me up...it's so true.

Feeling much better now. Thank you for listening. I am very excited that I understand how to post photos with my mini ipad. I'm thinking of starting a blog. I love the home, and it would be fun to write about cooking, knitting, soap making, baking, etc....and post some photos. That's not as daunting as writing a book.
 
Oh @Hip Hip Hooray! You've induced an interesting discussion. I'm all too familiar with people feeling miserable and making everyone else feel down, running down other people's successes and not allowing them to enjoy them. Especially with social media and forums, that lends itself to that kind of thing. We have all kinds of shitstorms against successful people and celebrities. There are also certain circles in Germany who find it chic and trendy to bad mouth the United States, I'm tired of it - very childish. And as regards my dad, he loved me more than anything (he's not alive now). I think he was wise to protect me from the bad feeling it may cause when you get nasty remarks because you're too overjoyed about your achievements and show it too much. So I think "PS46" is right - don't bring your chocolate cake to knitting group. Share it with someone who appreciates it. Maybe the pregnant woman, mother of three, with depression.

Thanks for posting the picture with the soap. You have a beautiful home, from what I can see in the photo. Why not be self-employed. You're already doing that, aren't you selling homemade soap, knitware etc. While it's good to have a regular income in employed work, full-time, it has it's drawbacks. For example, I find it a bit of a drudgery getting up at 5:00 a.m. and commuting to work in the dark, especially in winter, and then talking to bosses who don't value my efforts at work. Furthermore, one has little time for housework, household administration - which is important, too, household repairs and hobbies. I don't have the energy to make chocolate or banana cake after work but pull myself together and make something yummy when my daughters come to visit of course. Have a nice weekend - Constanze
 
:friends:@Hip Hip Hooray! Your soaps came out beautifully! Thanks for sharing the pics. It's exciting to learn how to post pics with your iPad. That's interesting that you are thinking of writing a blog. Some people actually make money doing that - I think it has to do with when you get enough people to read your blog, then advertisers will pay you. So that could be another way to earn some extra income. It is wonderful that you are debt-free though - I forgot to comment on that, but that takes a lot of discipline and is good planning which is smart and helps during the down times such as the temporary unemployment or unexpected expenses.

Your aunt and father were spot on with their comments. Miserable people love to make other people miserable. Those people have to live with themselves 24/7 and live a miserable existence because the only time they are happy is if they are bringing other people down. Keep on doing what you love to do and like your aunt said, consider the source. :yes:
 
Hi @Constanze, Your insights are so valuable. Yes, I am very fortunate to have my home and the time to care for it. I remember when I was working in Berlin, I had my own struggles there. Each place has its challenges. I'm sorry you have a difficult work situation. That can be very draining. I'm sure you do an excellent job. I hope you find the time and energy to make a chocolate or banana cake!

I spent the morning out in my backyard orchard. I fed the fruit trees homemade compost, and mulched them with straw. I pulled a lot of weeds, and enjoyed the fresh air and nature. The dogs ran around and wrestled. We've had much needed rain this year, after several years of drought. I am so happy that the soil feels healthy and fertile again. I picked one of the Valencia oranges off the tree and sampled it. The last few years they were dry and shriveled. This season, they are bright, juicy, and delicious. It's wonderful. I feel so revitalized. My irises finally bloomed, after staying dormant for about five years. They look luscious and dewy.

Actually, I don't have any customers for my knitwear or soap. (yet.) I've had interest, but no financial transactions. I think the blog would be interesting. It's worth a shot. Knitting is a huge business. People spend a ton of money on yarn and supplies. There's a woman in Canada with a blog called the yarn harlot. She is wildly successful. She's really funny, too. I love her. Maybe I could work in life after hip replacements somehow...

I hope you are doing well. Thanks again for your perspective. It's very helpful.
 
Back
Top Bottom