Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hi @DeepBreath, I'm so glad you nipped that bursa issue in the bud. I'm taking the same approach. I find that even when I don't feel like I'm adding much activity, I still feel some stiffness in my hips. Now I take that as a sign to rest. I'm not walking as far...a couple of miles seems to be plenty.

I just did some more tree trimming. I'm slowly cutting down a flowering plum tree that died last year. It feels good to get rid of that dead wood. Once again, I'm doing it in stages. Bit by bit...

I've been feeling very emotional lately. I guess it's post op blues. It feels like grief. I try to cry a little bit each day, and then move forward with my routine. Reading that article in the library and pre op forum about the man who still has his hips 68 years after his surgery has really given me hope. I realized that I was almost planning, (or expecting,) that I'd have to have revisions on both sides. Josephine said that about 95% of people don't need revisions! I'm thrilled. That's my goal.

I hope everyone is doing well and moving forward with their healing.
 
(((@Hip Hip Hooray!))) I'm sorry for the blues, friend. They do tend to rear their ugly heads from time to time, don't they? Good for you for shedding some tears. It is a good release valve.
I hear you about aniticipating having to have a revision. That's part of my worries as well. I'd hate to think of going through all this again when I'm 70 or so. I'm going to have to go read that article. It sounds very inspiring! :)
It just doesn't take much to get the stiffness flaring, does it? Luckily, it does seem to be mild and short lived.
It's been just gorgeous here so walking around outside is a pleasure.
I hope your weather has been great as well.
Chin up. You're doing marvelously. Any word on the child care thing?
 
Hi @DeepBreath, Thank you for the support. It really does help to release the grief. I haven't heard back from my friend on the childcare thing. Oh well. I left him a pm. I went to the gym yesterday and did 15 mins. of cardio. I was talking to a guy who looks like a bodybuilder in the sauna. He had surgery last year on his wrist, elbow and shoulder. It sounds like his injuries were also from over training, and he's only 35. He said that his pain in still a 3-4. I'm seeing a pattern with people and their joints. I asked him about rebuilding muscle. He told me that he'd recommend I only lift 90 lbs. Oh my God! There's no way I would do that...it's so interesting to hear what different people perceive as light. I did some more yoga last night, and my hips feel invisible today. That's my goal, to have exercises that don't cause a delayed reaction of pain or discomfort.

I am working on the second sleeve of my sweater. I'm doing a lace pattern. I had to restart it several times, but it's coming out nicely. I plan to make a banana bread this afternoon. I hope everyone is doing well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I didn't know Josephine had said that - I am very happy to hear that statistic!:yes:

Sorry to hear you are experiencing a bout of the blues but I admire the way you are handling it by allowing yourself to cry. It is so healthy to release those emotions. I know so many people who pretend to be "up" all the time and bury their emotions and then have those feelings manifest in unhealthy ways. A good cry is very healing.

That sounds like a lot of work to trim that tree but you are smart to tackle a big job like that just a little at a time. I'm with you on that guy at the gym thinking 90 lbs is light - yowza, that is a lot of weight.
Your banana bread sounds delicious! I hope you are having a nice weekend. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Yes, it makes a huge difference. I take some time each day to feel and release the stuck emotional pain. I think the surgery itself also caused a lot of grief. It's really shifted the way I think about exercise and fitness. I've switched to a very understated approach.

I still have more work to do on the tree. It's getting there. The yard looks so much better when I remove the dead wood. I'm really pleased with how all of the landscaping I've done has come together.

The banana bread came out nice and moist. I love it. It's so grounding to cook and bake. I hope everyone has a Happy Easter!
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I agree that this surgery itself caused a lot of grief. What do you do with the wood from the tree - will the trash people pick that up or do you have to take it somewhere? Glad your banana bread came out yummy! Have a Happy Easter!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! how wonderful that your hips felt invisible! That is a fabulous thing.
I so agree with you about the surgery and grief. Letting it out is so very important.
Holy Shamoly! 90 lbs! I can't imagine lifting that much, especially after THR. Like I said in another post, I lift a really full laundry hamper and my hips let me know about it. I can understand why that young man has such problems with his wrist, elbow, and shoulder. I shudder to think what he'll feel like when he's 65.
So, you decided to go with the lacy look sleeves? That sounds beautiful. I'd love to see a picture when you're done with it.
Yum! The banana bread sounds amazing. That and zucchini bread are my favorite quick breads. So delicious!
I hope you're enjoying a lovely weekend and that you have a great Easter. :flwrysmile:
 
Hi, I guess my last post was lost. @Hipster Girl, Yes, the trash people will pick it up with the green waste. Sometimes I chop up the wood and leave it at the curb. Someone with a fireplace or wood stove always picks it up and uses it.

@DeepBreath, Yes, I went with the lacy sleeves. I knit them. I will upload a photo. First I have to resize it. I hope everyone on Bonesmart had a wonderful Easter. I went to the knit shop and knit with one of the teachers and another woman. I brought banana bread to share, and soap as a gift. We had a nice afternoon, chatting, and working on our projects. I posted the photo of my sweater on Facebook, and let people know that I'm available to knit. It's gotten a lot of hits and shares. Oh, and today's babysitting gig fell through this morning. He got the day off, and told me today. That kind of stuff used to make me really upset, but now I just press on...no need for stress in the body.
 
[Bonesmart.org] Aug.18 - a success!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! - That sweater is utterly exquisite! And you are so beautiful, happy and proud modelling it! I bet you could charge a LOT of money knitting it for others. I hope you get some business off of Facebook from it. I can't recall whether you had looked into doing business through Etsy or not. Might be something to look into.

I'm glad you had a nice Easter at the knit shop. I bet your soap and banana bread were very much enjoyed. Sounds like a perfect day.

I hope whatever is for the best happens with the babysitting gig. It's wonderful that you aren't stressing over it.

I get those grief spells too. Sometimes it may be about something specific. Other times it's just an unidentifiable wave of sadness that somehow has to do with these surgeries I've gone through.

Thanks for posting your lovely photo. It brought a grin to my face. And I've had a few hard days lately so that was nice.
 
Thank you, @Readysetgo. It was very exciting to finish! I'm sorry to hear that you've had a few hard days. I will have to catch up on your thread. It would be fun to make sweaters as an income. I'm thinking of doing baby clothes, too. I can the washable yarn with a coupon at Beverly's. When it comes to making adult clothes, I do have a weakness for high end yarn. I usually buy it on sale or clearance. I got the silk and alpaca blend above at 40% off...yarn has come a long way. My parents always comment on that when they see what I have made. It's a huge business.

I hope things are looking up for you. I'll be over on your thread soon. Take care...
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! Haven't posted here lately and hop you're fine now. Yes, indeed, some of the posts on here seem to have got lost irretrievably. Hope you've got over your post op blues by now. You've done an excellent job with the sweater. It looks very professional. Yes, you could do knitting as a profession. And you look beautiful modelling with it on. It looks as if you are also very professional with cooking and baking. That's what I'd like to learn better, now that I've got my new hip

I've finally come up against my limits to physical effort. I posted I was running again even though this type of exercise is not recommended. But my running is fine and I feel good after a run. However, since, like you, I also like plants and my garden (it's so beautiful at this time of year with the daffodils in blossom), I did a job that was a bit too much. I bought some flower earth and carried it in a backpack - 20 kg (about 44 lb, only 44 lb!). I don't know what this man was thinking of when he said 90! Well I walked about 2 kms with my backpack, thought I'd walk instead of going by car, since my job & travelling to work by car involves so much sitting. I won't do it again. Both my legs were stiff afterwards. Today, I'm off for a swim after work to make it better.

How are you getting on with that tree? Please don't overstrain yourself. I prune trees and bushes, too from time to time, and like in your area, we have a green trash service to pick up the wood or alternatively, we can use our trash container for organic waste. What's it like with trash and recycling in the US. Germany seems to be the No 1 country for recycling and trash separation: We have 4 countainers: paper, packaging, organic, and a funny phenomenon which literally translates "residual trash" (in other words: the container for everything else). For glass: We have to drive our old glass and bottles to a container in town (which wastes gas :)! giggle giggle). So trash separation is what we are overdoing. Take care and lots of good wishes - Constanze
 
Hi @Constanze, It's great to "see" you. Thank you for the compliments. Today I am going to contact the man who asked me to knit for his vintage shop. Maybe I can send him some samples, and see if they sell. I have a feeling people would buy the sweaters. He has a lot of pattern books from that era. I'm eager to get started!

I can see why your legs would be stiff after carrying all of that weight. I use my bicycle trailer now. It also works as a shopping cart. I put the heavy things in there, and wheel them inside. I hope your hips are feeling better. The tree trimming is fine. I keep my fruit trees at 10 feet or less. That way the branches aren't too heavy, and it's easier to pick the fruit. I just do about an hour at a time, and then stop.

I remember in Switzerland they had a recycling system like yours. I have a huge compost pile in my backyard. All of the fruit and vegetable scraps go in there. I also compost egg shells, coffee grounds, and yard trimmings. It feels good to put it back into the soil. My neighbor gives me her horse and goat manure.

I'm glad that you are healing so well and that you are back at work. That's a big accomplishment. Good luck with your cooking and baking. My mom was excellent in those areas, and I learned from her. It just takes practice. It's fun to eat the meals, too. How's the bicycle? I remember you were an avid cyclist. I've been riding mine each day. Congratulations on the running.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! OH MY GOSH!! I LOVE your sweater! That is absolutely GORGEOUS. WOW, the detail is amazing. And man, that color on you is just perfect. Great picture! You look fantastic!
Seeing your picture and you rocking that beautiful sweater just made my day!
I hope you have a terrific day full of sunshine. :SUNsmile:
 
Hi @DeepBreath, You are so sweet, thank you. I am very pleased with the sweater. I wasn't sure if my vision would work, but it did. My friend told me that people sell them on line. Would be worth a try. I'm also going to make some men's vintage vests. I love those old patterns. They have nice texture.

I love that green you are wearing in the photo that you posted. Color makes such a big difference on people. Your post made my day.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! Thanks for your message and for asking about my hip. Yes, the swim did it. My legs are better - and good for another run. With my bike, I must admit that in winter, I just did short distances; for example to my local baker's to by fresh bread rolls. I drove the care to work. My main sport's discipline has always been running. I practice that in the lunch hour. Not sure whether I will attempt at another Frankfurt Ironman. My 2 last attempts were unsuccessful - just did half - due to substandard cycling speed believe it or not (apart from that, they are expensive). It would have been nice to have an Iron Woman among the people at work. The lake swim for Frankfurt Ironman is only within 2 km from my work in the forest. And we have running events in which my work colleagues have teams, for example the charity run in Frankfurt for the AIDS help. Maybe a Half Ironman would be realistic that's 1.5 km swimming, 90 km cycling and a half marathon. We'll see. Good luck with your advertising for knitted sweaters and - have a nice weekend - Constanze
 
Hi @Constanze, Wow...that was quick. I'm glad your legs are already feeling better. You sound very athletic. My younger brother recently did an Ironman, too. You are both very ambitious!

Yesterday I went to the knit shop and looked at more yarn. The prices have gone up since I last purchased it. I used to only buy the high end yarns on clearance. That way they were 40% off. I'm going to work on some a short sleeved top that doesn't use much yarn, since it's a very snug fit, capped sleeves, and has a scoop neck. I found some wonderful free vintage sweater patterns on line. They are from old magazines in the fifties. I love the look! Sizes were much smaller in those days...I wear an eight!

I'll have to catch up on your thread. I loved Germany when I was there. We played Frankfurt, Munich, and Hamburg. I loved kayaking through the canals in Hamburg. It was just enchanting.

I did a full set of Bikram yoga in my living room yesterday. I work carefully and gradually. It seems to be a good fit for this stage of healing. I'm able to wrap and lift the muscles in my legs and bum as I'm standing. It gives me a good stretch, but it doesn't strain or hurt anything. I'm going very slowly.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I haven't been on Bonesmart for a few days because of my crazy schedule but it was such a treat to log on today and see the lovely picture you posted! The sweater is stunning! Such a beautiful color on you and I'm just blown away by all the detail including the buttons at the top which is a great touch! Very, very pretty! I could tell from how you had described it that it was going be beautiful but seeing a picture of all the intricate detail exceeded what I even imagined it would look like - I'm very impressed!!:yes:
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Oh, you are so sweet. Thank you for your kind words. People are really responding to this sweater, which makes me happy. I am working on another one. This one is a vintage crochet pattern. I've been wanting to make it for four years. I went and bought some gorgeous Noro Silk Garden yarn. I started it today. This is my first time crocheting something to wear. I've just done pot holders and blankets. I think it's going to be cute.

I chatted with my neighbor yesterday, and she asked me to give her some lavender from my garden for tea. She said that it helps her with anxiety and depression. I cut some off the bush, and took it over there this morning. I went by bicycle. She is pregnant again with her third child. I told her that I just finished knitting a baby blanket. She can have it, if she likes the colors and design. It's multi-colored, green, yellow, and pink...so it will work for either a boy or a girl. I made her a sweater for her last baby. I'll post a photo tomorrow. I love making baby stuff.

I have been feeling kind of depressed. I hope it is just grief. This is unlike me. I'm usually pretty upbeat, but I feel like I'm not going to be able to find work again. I have a lot of self doubt and fear. I'm really relieved that this surgery has been done, but I just can't seem to get on track, career wise. When I was a dancer and a dance/yoga teacher, my decisions were very clear cut. As long as I stayed in shape, went to auditions, and sent out my resume, I seemed to always generate work. Now I seem to be in a slump. I'm doing yoga every morning, and taking care of my house and animals. I have enough money to live, (barely,) but I know I could do better.

On a more positive note, I am in love with the new soap that I made. I used it on my face, and it is heavenly! It makes my skin feel so soft. It's really a treat. I wish I had started making it years ago. I washed one of my sweaters in it. (I made a liquid version.) I left it in the bathtub in cold water and the soap, soaking overnight. (I was trying to remove a stain.) It worked. After the sweater dried, I noticed that it smelled delicious! The wool just absorbed the fragrance from the homemade soap. It was such an unexpected discovery. Now I have a scented hand knit sweater. A cool discovery.

I hope everyone is doing well.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Aww, how sweet that you offered your neighbor the baby blanket. I'll bet making baby things is wonderful. I'm sorry to hear that she is depressed. I hope that she'll be okay. The lavender sounds lovely and definitely has a nice effect on a person's mood.
I'm sorry too that you are still feeling down. It's so understandable though. You've been through so much in just a short period. I'm sending good vibes to you that you will find something that suits you perfectly in the near future!
I'm SO happy you like your soap! It sounds amazing. :)
Perhaps a shop on Etsy would be an idea. With all of your wonderful knit projects and the soap...it could be just the thing. Something to think about... :)
Chin up, friend. We're here for you.
 
Back
Top Bottom