Guest viewing is limited

Bilateral THR Aug.18 - a success!

Hi @Hipster Girl! Yes, it's a relief to have the insurance reinstated. I called Blue Cross, (Oh, actually it's Blue Shield,) yesterday to pay my bill, and they said that it will take another seven business days for things to be processed. I'm learning to go with the flow, and to stay on top of all of that. I also asked them about reimbursement for the $13,000. I paid to my surgeon. It turns out I have to send proof of payment to them. This is the first time I've filed a claim, so I'm learning as I go. Right now they are saying that he is an out of network doctor, and they will pay 50%. I'm going to double check. Covered CA had looked for a plan for me where he was on the list. Either way, it's a big help. I'll put that money back into my emergency fund.

I asked my surgeon at my follow up visit for the before and after xrays. He was really nice about it, and had his fellow print them out for me while I was there. Dr. Matta did such an excellent job. I'm going to go on his website and write a glowing review.

Yesterday I drove down to Santa Monica and watched a ballet class that I used to take. I decided that going back to ballet class would not be healthy or wise. There is a woman there who has had both hips replaced. She was a famous ballerina. She is still forcing herself through the classes, and it is heartbreaking to watch her. She's in constant pain, and I was shocked at how much damage the ballet has done since the last time I saw her. I don't want to do that to my body. Many of my friends have returned to studying and teaching ballet after this surgery. After watching this dancer who is in her seventies, I realized that the other side of the comback can be worse than before the surgery. (much worse.) So, I will focus on singing and acting. I can do the light dancing, but am not going to force any external rotation or go for hyper-flexibility. It's kind of like killing yourself, slowly, in my opinion. I'm seeing now that many of us are addicted to the endorphins. It can be as unhealthy as an addiction to drugs or alcohol. I'm very worried about this lady. What she's doing is dangerous. She told me that she needs to stop, but that she has to work, and so she continues to push herself. It was just tragic to watch her.

Yes, the flexibility is returning on its own. I don't push, I just allow the hips to open naturally. It's been four months now, and I'm seeing a real shift. Yoga has helped me, but any gentle stretching would probably be good. (As long as you don't do something that could cause a dislocation.) I think the machines at the gym are helping a lot, too. I've started doing the stationary bike on 2. I just do about 10 mins. I feel that less is more. I'm finding that the rest of my body feels much more flexible and healthy since the surgery. My pelvis is aligned, and I no longer have a tight back, or the feeling that I need to crack it into place.

I talked to my dad, and he told me that he is going up and down the stairs ten times a day. He also is doing push ups again. He is eighty-five. When he first tried to do them, he could only do two. Now he can do fifteen! He has always believed that attitude is the magic word. He also doesn't overdo. He takes a short walk with the dogs around the block twice a day. He is in excellent health.

All the best to everyone here...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! Yaay about the insurance getting sorted out! That's got to be a load off your mind.
I had to smile about your spelling comment. I find myself having to Google how to spell things quite often any more. It's aggravating. I was always good at spelling as well.
I hope you're doing well. :flwrysmile:
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! and @DeepBreath me too on the spelling - what's up with that? :what:

@Hip Hip Hooray! that is heartbreaking about the older lady in the ballet class. I can't imagine going through these surgeries and the lengthy recoveries only to turn around and cause more damage to the hips. You are wise to recognize the limitations and put boundaries on anything that would potentially harm the progress you have made. I know there are things in my past such as running that I just will not be able to do any longer if I want these hips to last as long as possible but giving it up is a small price to pay for living pain-free.

Wow about your dad! That is great that he is staying physically active and even increasing his activity. What do you attribute the improvement to?
 
Hi @DeepBreath, There's still some more work to do with the insurance, but at least it's moving in the right direction. They sent me a refund check for Sept. and Oct. (which I had asked them not to do.) Oh well. I will call them again next week. One day at a time. I need to start googling for spelling. That's a good idea.

@Hipster Girl, Yes, I want mine to last as long as possible, too. Fortunately, I have other passions as a performer. I can work on songs, music, acting, and yoga. None of these tax my hips, and they are fulfilling creative outlets. I swam yesterday, and it felt really good.

I'm glad that I saw what happened to this ballerina, as tragic as it is. She is a true example of a person who drives herself very hard, and doesn't give in to the body's pain. I see other women my age ascending on the recovery side after THR, but she is the only one I've witnessed (over 70,) on the declining side. I think the second drop in abilities is horrific. It's shocking to watch her. I feel very protective of these hips now. I was going to ask her advice, but then when I saw her condition, I just listened to her. She feels a pressure to work, yet she knows that she needs to stop. I'm saying lots of prayers for her.

As far as my dad, he was always very disciplined, organized, and consistent. Very grounded. He drives three or four other people to the bridge club who can't drive anymore. He has a healthy routine, and he appreciates the small things. (like a good night's sleep, a delicious meal, etc.) He cooks his dinner every night, and makes use of the crock pot. His exercise is regular, but moderate. He's also very good with his money. I think it helps a lot not to feel stressed about finances. He's always been very frugal, and an excellent investor. He also gets along very well with people. He always has.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray!, great news on your insurance and choices. You are wise and grounded, with multiple talent's! I hear you on the spelling, some my posts are horrid. How are the pups and the orchard doing. What is weather like this time of year. Do you ever get snow. Sounds like you are doing exactly what you need and its working. Your dad sounds amazing. This is such an inspirational thread to read!

Josphine has given me plenty to ponder, she strongly suggests a revision. She feels I will be back to pain in the long run. I had made a comment of being glad of pain relief and settling for it. Thing is I was hoping to look after my sons hips. He had a lot of intervention prior to age 2. It started as soon as he was born with a dislocated hip. He hasn't seen his ortho for 3 yrs, and has been having a lot of pain, this past summer. So I was hoping to focus on him now. We seem to have hips that need multiple interventions. Hopefully by his 50s there will be incredible hip technology. It makes one wonder how our grandparents coped. My mom is coming 85 and has original parts and is very active. Summer time still does a lot on the homestead. Hardly ever complains of pain, other than a couple fingers.

I wonder what us newer generations are missing. I am amazed at the number of younger people getting joint replacements. I wonder if food quality plays a role. Keep up the great posts!!
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I totally understand the pressure to work and I feel awful for the 70+ woman dong the ballet. It sounds like she is in a tough spot, knowing she needs to stop but not being able to. I am happy that you have those other creative outlets such as singing and acting so you do not have to give up performing entirely, only the dancing that is hard on your hips.

I find people like your dad to be so inspirational - I can see where you get it from. You seem to have followed in his footsteps in being very disciplined and organized, and also appreciating the small things in life. I have to admit going through this process has helped me in that regard as well, as I find myself counting my blessings throughout the day now and appreciating the little things that I would have previously taken for granted.

@3rd Dislocation I will have to catch up on your thread; I have caught bits and pieces in various threads and my heart breaks for what you are having to endure. You bring up an interesting point about what us newer generations are missing and why so many young people are having joint replacements. I am curious to know that as well.
I am sorry to hear your son is having hip issues already so early in life. I worry for mine because he runs marathons and after he is done with one, he will limp around for a few days like I used to do. So many things are hereditary that it would make sense for hip problems to be also. For yourself, I would strongly take Josephine's suggestion to heart. She has been in the field a very long time and has a lot of wisdom. No point in suffering further if you can finally get the issue resolved. Life is too short.
 
@3rd Dislocation, I am amazed at the number of people getting joint replacements, too. They're doing a lot more of them now. Also, I notice that many people my age push their bodies much harder than my parents did. I was doing very difficult Russian ballet classes until I was 47. My teachers stopped dancing around 30. My friends who have continued to dance in spite of pain are the ones who have had the hips replaced. I didn't realize it until it was too late.

@Hipster Girl, My father told me that in his generation, they thought older people shouldn't stand when they could sit. They also believed that it was dangerous to go up and down stairs at that age. He has always Lived by Abrahan Lincoln's philosophy: "I am as happy as I make up my mine to be..." He used to listen to a lot of the old Earl Nightingale tapes, too. He also used to tell me, "Misery loves company." (which made me chuckle.)

I did yoga last night. I did a basic class, and finished with inversions. (head stand and shoulder stand.) It's pretty incredible how the flexibility is improving. I used to have a round back in child's pose. I never knew why my hip flexors were so tight. Now I can bend over like you're supposed to...I think the new cartilage has made it easier. Plus, I just feel like my pelvic alignment is corrected now, thanks to this surgery. Square hips makes such a difference. The bones really need to be in the right position.

I have to take my dog to the vet this a.m. I think she has a bladder infection, poor thing. I have an audition this afternoon. It's a two and a half hour drive each way. I'm so glad that it doesn't hurt me to drive anymore! Hope all's well with everyone...
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! sending good vibes that the insurance will be completely sorted soon. For some reason, dealing with stuff like that is one of the most stressful things for me. I absolutely detest having to call people and work through stuff like that.
Also, healing vibes for your sweet doggie. I hope the bladder issue is cleared up soon.
Good wishes going with you for the audition! :)
 
hello @Hip Hip Hooray! My husband and I are traveling for the holidays.. I sped read through your thread to catch up and wanted to wish you the best in your audition tomorrow.
I must say, my mother is super negative, we are with her through tomorrow night. It is so exhausting. I love her but have lawyers said that she is the example of what I don't want to be or do.
Happy holidays, we all have so much to be grateful for! :loveshwr:
 
@DeepBreath, Thanks. I know what you mean about dealing with the insurance. I just am so happy that the surgery went well. I try to focus on that. I am ecstatic with the results, so I will be patient and diligent with this side of it. I'm really glad that I have a fully funded emergency fund, though. Because of that, this delay is not causing me financial stress. When I was younger, this would have derailed me. I've taught myself to live on less. It's a relief. Carlie is doing much better, thanks. The shot and meds have given her relief. She's so appreciative. I love our vet. He's so kind.

@CricketHip, I hope things are going okay with your mother. It sounds challenging. I agree, we do have much to be grateful for...especially post surgery. I'm able to do so many things that I couldn't do last year. (and that I thought I would never be able to do again.)

The audition in La Jolla went really well. It was a long drive. It took me two and a half hours to get there, (for a three minute audition,) and four and a half hours to get home. Ah, showbiz. But, I was very happy with it. I wrote my own monologue, and the casting director said, "That's a nice piece." The pianist was giggling to himself after I finished. (It was a scene about a very difficult and antagonistic pianist.") I didn't realize it was funny. Now I know I can use it for comedy. "So...you know my friend John..." he joked.

I'm hoping for a callback. We'll see. The director and writer of this show did the musical Memphis. It's a nice part. Now it's back to practicing...I did Kundalini Yoga last night. Guess what? I can now sit cross legged on the floor! I tried it with one pillow, and found that I don't even need that anymore. So, I'm pretty excited. This happened with no forcing or pushing for ROM. (just time, consistent effort, and patience.)

I hope all's well with everyone here.
 
:santawave:Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! I love that quote by Abraham Lincoln and there is a lot of truth to that. Your dad sounds like a wise man. I am inspired by older people who have such a great attitude. I have an aunt who is almost 80 and she walks a golf course every morning. She acts and looks 30 years younger than her age. She is a great inspiration for how I want to be at that age.

I am so excited for you about being able to sit cross legged now! I can only imagine what a thrill it is when you have one of those breakthroughs - I imagine you want to start dancing :dancing: through the house from the sheer excitement; I am so happy for you!! :reindeer:

I'm glad to hear your audition went well and that they liked your monologue and I hope you will get a call back. It also must be a wonderful relief to be able to do all that driving now without any difficulty. That's good news that Carlie is on the mend after her trip to the vet. And things with the insurance company getting worked out. It sounds like things are lining up for this to be a very Merry Christmas this year!
:merry christmas:
 
Just popping in to wish you a very Merry Christmas. It great news that Carlie is doing better and it's nothing serious. May this season be filled with many blessings.
 
@Hipster Girl, Thank you for the encouraging post. Carlie is doing much better. She's good about taking her medicine, and she seems relieved. Oh, and I finally finished my blanket! It's on the bed, and it turned out just as I had imagined it. Sorry I don't know how to post a photo. I have an older flip phone. It's such a good feeling to finish things. I even cleaned the fridge yesterday. That was a huge load off my mind...

Yes, it was exciting to be able to sit cross legged. Last night I tried some dance exercise that I used to do. (no impact.) I think I can keep working on it, slowly and carefully. I'd like to get back those small muscles in the legs and hips. The machines at the gym work different muscles than I used in dance. I thought I'd be sore this morning, but I wasn't at all. I feel optimistic and encouraged.

Your aunt sounds like a really neat person. I study people like that. They're such a good example.

@3rd Dislocation, Thank you for the Christmas wishes. Carlie is sleeping by the front door. I hope you are doing well.
 
Happy New Year Everyone! I hope you are all doing well and moving forward.

Yesterday I went to the gym and did my routine. I talked with a woman in the dressing room as I was getting dressed to go home. She told me all about her numerous surgeries, accidents, and injuries. I asked her how much weight she was lifting and she answered, 190 lbs. Unbelievable...it was such a lesson in the damage of over exercising. She's 65 years old. It was kind of shocking to hear her reasoning. She's married to the 74 year old weight lifter who is a world champion. He told me in the jacuzzi that I should lift heavier weights. No thanks. Exercise can be just as much as an addiction as alcohol or drugs. I definitely want to take care of these new hips. I'm not interested in any more surgeries if I can help it. She was on her way to coach some teenagers in weight lifting. Wow...

Today I finished knitting a pair of socks. Next I'm going to start on a pair of wool slippers. I found a nice pattern on Ravelry. It looks easy and fun. I've got some nice grey tweed yarn in my stash.

I've been doing yoga at night, and am really enjoying it. It's getting easier each time. I'm going to make a batch of oatmeal raisin cookies. I love this cold weather! That alpaca blanket has really come in handy. It's so soft and warm.

Time for a hot bath and a cup of peppermint tea. I hope you all have a great New Year's Eve, and a fantastic 2016.
 
Hi @Hip Hip Hooray! yay on finishing your blanket and having the colder weather so that you are able to use it! I bet it is beautiful and snuggly. It's been unseasonably warm here and I realized that for the first time in a long time, I do not have the flannel sheets on the bed in January. I wonder if I will even get to use them this winter.

That is sad about the 65 year old lady in the dressing room. It sounds like she is really abusing her body with all those heavy weights and since the heavy weightlifting is a common interest she shares with her husband and he is serious enough about it to compete, they are unlikely to change since it is probably the glue that binds them together.

I agree exercise can be as much an addiction as alcohol or drugs. I think I used to be addicted, more so on the cardio side than the weights, but as I have gotten older, I have become a firm believer in moderation and being kinder to my body. My surgeon had told me my earlier over-zealousness is what led me to have to have these surgeries at my somewhat young age. I likely still would have had to have the surgeries eventually but not this early in life. I plan to exercise in moderation going forward. I am comfortable in my own skin now and while still fit, I don't worry about trying to be 110 lbs anymore. :nah:

Sounds like you are really having fun with your knitting. I bet it's rewarding to be able to make something like the socks and slippers and then get to wear them right away and enjoy the fruits of your labor. :)
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, I like your new avatar. Yes, I am definitely one who has been overzealous with exercise, too. It's good that I am seeing people who are 15-20 years older than I am, and how it affects them. It scares me to see their condition. I feel like my new hips are giving me a second chance, and I don't want to make the same mistake twice. It's so nice to be out of pain. I'm realizing it's up to me to stay that way.

It's been in the the thirties here at night. I've really been enjoying that alpaca blanket. You're right, the socks and slippers are enjoyable. They also make nice gifts. I'm almost done with the first slipper.

I'm glad to hear that you don't worry about trying to be 110 anymore. That's very wise. This surgery has taught me so much. Yesterday I tried doing a little bit of tap dancing. I just went over the opening number from 42nd Street. It felt easy, but boy did I pay for it! My hips were not happy a couple of hours later, and they let me know it. I went from not feeling the implants to needing to ice them. I'm sure glad I just did it for a few minutes. They feel fine today.

I hope everyone is doing well. I had some trouble getting on the site yesterday and today. I was able to get through this time, though.
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! what a great reminder about how important it is to not overdo things and to be kind to your body. I'm not sure how realistic it is for me to hope that my implants will last me for the rest of my life (assuming I'm lucky enough to live 30+ more years) but I'm sure going to give it a shot. I just want a normal life and to be able to do my regular daily living without horrible pain and the ever present limp.

I'm excited for you that you completed your blanket. I'll bet it is so snuggly and perfect for the January weather.
My husband bought me a lovely pair of knitted slippers for Christmas and they made me think of you. They have the cable stitch and I remembered discussing that pattern with you. :)
What colors are your socks and slippers?

I wasn't ablet to access the site since New Years Eve. I got kind of worried. I can't imagine not being able to give a shout out to my hippie buddies, and was really concerned for those who are still waiting for their surgeries.

I hope you're enjoying these first few days of 2016 and that it's a terrific year for you. :)
 
@Hip Hip Hooray! I learn so much from your posts. I always read something that sends me off on a web search - this time it was "alpaca", I had no idea what that was so I looked it up and wow, "cozy" doesn't do it justice - that looks like the snuggliest material I've ever seen :yes:

I like how you responded right away with the ice and that took care of any discomfort from the tap dancing. I think it's encouraging that the ice helped and your hips were fine the next day. You'll get there eventually with the tap dancing and you are wise to try it in small increments.

I love your new avatar! So pretty. It is a picture of how I envision your cozy little cottage. :)
 
@DeepBreath, I know what you mean about hoping these implants last you for the rest of your life. We're close in age, and that's what I would like, too. I feel like this surgery has given me what you mentioned. I no longer limp, and I'm not in pain. I also don't look handicapped anymore. That was a real shock, when I went into the deformity stage. I'm so thankful that my surgeon was able to correct that. It happened so fast.

Glad you got some slippers for Christmas. The ones I'm making right now are grey tweed wool. I'm using an Italian yarn, and it has a little bit of linen in it. It's so pretty. It's leftover from a zippered sweater that I made last year. The socks were a blue self patterning yarn. It's hand dyed in the Czech Republic. It's gorgeous stuff. I'm really getting into knitting again. I want to make a drawer full of gifts. The next pair of slippers will be made with red alpaca yarn.

Happy New Year. I like your new avatar. I'm going to heat up a second cup of coffee right now...
 
Hi @Hipster Girl, Thanks for the encouragement on the tap dancing. I still feel my hips today, slightly. They have a sensation like you get when you are sunburned. It's odd, but no big deal. I'm glad I didn't take a class and do a whole hour! I may have an opportunity to perform the opening number from "42nd Street" at a benefit in the fall. We'll see. I'd like to do it, but not if it sets me back. I've got plenty of time. I'll stick to the machines and yoga for now. They don't cause any aggravation.

Yes, alpaca is luxurious and soft! It's one of my favorite yarns. I've been knitting from my stash the last few years. It's working out well, and is saving me money.

Glad to hear that you are doing so well at the gym. I like the elliptical, too. They have one at ours that is easier on the joints. It's more of a stair motion.

Take care. I always enjoy reading about people's progress. It's uplifting.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom