THR Anyone been there done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hips are getting stronger . Had my right hip did January 30th. My left hip replaced April 30th. Can walk with out cane but not for long distances have bad knee aches. I was 600 pounds at one time and was very active for my size. Going to see OS end of month to get X rays of knees. I'm hoping it is just the weight telling me to loose more weight. I'm 340 know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Oh Bill I hope it holds out especially after what you described in your post. From what I read in your posts you are pretty physically fit where as I fall far short in that area. I will be discussing this when I have my post op appt. I kind of wish I was able to have both done at the same time.
 
Hey Hippy, it is nice to share our experiences and support each other over such a traumatic part of our lives. As far as physical goes, I don't think a THR requires a lot of fitness. When my second hip let me down, PT came to a standstill and I did very little until the next surgery. My left THR just kept getting better and is painfree today. So don't you worry too much about recovery, that hip should be feeling strong in six weeks or so. There is also, much debate over two surgeries at one time. Man, that will take a lot out of the patient, so I'm OK with having mine on two different dates.
 
Hey, RB welcome back my man! We are all still recovering here, but getting better everyday. I can't say I have knee pain, but who knows, the pain monster might come after them next. You have come a long way with weight issues, so keep working your way down especially with knee issues, right? I smile and think of you when I got in my car for a drive to see the doc. Bandage is off now, walking with one crutch and I'm giving away my walker or crunching it up in a pile of scrap, what do you think LOL!
 
Hey, RB welcome back my man! We are all still recovering here, but getting better everyday. I can't say I have knee pain, but who knows, the pain monster might come after them next. You have come a long way with weight issues, so keep working your way down especially with knee issues, right? I smile and think of you when I got in my car for a drive to see the doc. Bandage is off now, walking with one crutch and I'm giving away my walker or crunching it up in a pile of scrap, what do you think LOL!



I think you should go to the thrift store and donate it. I'm so glad your doing better and I know you will continue to progress. Nothing but good days ahead for both of us. Yes sir I came a long way with the weight and I'm determine to get all the way down. We are both bless. I'm able to deal with a knees for a minute. Can't work anymore hard labor jobs. So I'm on disability from cingna long term until my SSDI from the government kicks in.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Jebrig, it's all good and you have your head screwed on the right way. Yes, we are blessed and nothing but good days are ahead. You have the spirit and guts to deal with what life throws your way. It is nice to have bonded over so much trauma and drama, isn't it? Wish we could meet someday, and we will! Everything happens for a reason :)
 
Jebrig, it's all good and you have your head screwed on the right way. Yes, we are blessed and nothing but good days are ahead. You have the spirit and guts to deal with what life throws your way. It is nice to have bonded over so much trauma and drama, isn't it? Wish we could meet someday, and we will! Everything happens for a reason :)


Yes sir ...I believe in divine connections my friend and brother.we will meet up. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
 
Hey, I am taking my thread somewhere maybe I am not allowed to go, but here goes:
I am still pretty mad about losing both my hips to titanium gizmos. Are there any lawyers on here with THR?
I am changing my belief that genetics does this. Why? Because my well documented family tree has no history of this problem in 100 years or more. I am changing my belief that sports, or jogging, or tennis, or any sport caused this.
I am starting to question things like maybe it was the little green plasitc army men I chewed on when I was five.
I am starting to question maybe it was the glue I used to build plastic airplanes when I was eight.
Like I said, I am still kinda mad and this may be forbidden, but i want to know why this is so rampant in so many ages and we only blame sports and genetics? Something just doesn't add up, sorry...
 
I know what you mean. Like me and my AVN I was never told that taking all the steroids when I had my cancer would have caused this. Makes me kinda angry.

AVN of both hips. Had RTHR on July 7th
 
Right, I know all I was ever told was nsaids would cause stomach problems.

AVN of both hips. Had RTHR on July 7th
 
wow I was never made aware that Nsaids could precipitate AVN either. Did not even know about AVN. Maybe you are onto something waterman1. I know OA is rampant in my family so that is a big contributor to my situation, plus being overweight the majority of my life didn't help matters.
 
HippyHelen, My surgeon said that extended use of NSAIDS can cause AVN. Or an injury can cause it. Or too much alcohol use. First I ever heard about NSAIDS. I had advanced AVN in my left hip, but not in my right hip. When you say OA is rampant in your family, I bet none before you were reduced to a wheelchair due to OA, or am I wrong? And why are there millions overweight with good hips? And millions of joggers with good hips?
 
I don't want my thread to end up being a troublemaker for this website. I wish there was a separate thread to discuss our concerns about the above...
 
I had 2 aunts that lived to 96 and 95 years old, but one was wheelchair bound partly because of OA and partly because of old age - the other OA. The other aunt was basically bedridden the last year or so of her life - she did have knee surgery of some sort but refused any other surgery. My dad who is 85 years old had a hip replacement probably 12 or 14 years ago, he was told his opposite knee should get done but he refused to do any other surgery, now he complains the other hip is achey. But I do think there is something to what you have written.
 
@waterman1, after my OS saw my two MRIs, his first remark was that I needed a THR. Then he went on to say that I was probably born with a malformed ball/socket since I'm firstborn, a girl, and it's my left hip. Something about the way the first child is carried by the mother, her pelvis not handling the growing baby, etc. Or else one of my growth platelets was damaged when I was very young. My right hip is fine. I've never been on meds of any sort long-term. Zero history of hip issues in my family. Go figure.
 
I jogged from age 16 until back pain set in around age 45 and I quit.
 
Yes, Hippyhelen your ancestors were elderly before the OA really set in. You are still young. My mother has a 'sore hip' at 85.
Hey Major, yes call in the lawyers, maybe they can start a 'complaint thread', LOL.
 
@waterman1 I think years ago people didn't live past 45 or 50 years old, so perhaps more people are having this surgery because we are living longer? I don't know. I know I was told I was born with hip dysplasia. Not so bad it kept me from walking or anything. But I do remember having trouble participating in sports when I was a kid. Caused knee pain. So this "misalignment" of my hips led to early OA. And of course being overweight since a teenager didn't help either. Probably brought on the OA about 10-15 years early. Now the quest is to get the weight off so I can enjoy the new hips for many years to come. I hate having artificial hips too, but on the other hand, I thank God for modern medicine. Before the 1970s, I would have been confined to a wheel chair or gone crazy from the arthritis pain. It was very painful for me.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom