THR Anyone been there done this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Hippies, just thought I would update my thread now I am post op 21 days. I feel really good, still a little soreness under my anterior incision. I accidentally laid my right foot across my knee to put on a sock and it didn't hurt, and I moved my foot back to the ground when I realized that was a mistake, so I know I have good progress. Did a whole lot more this weekend than I should, so I am sore all over, and feeling guilty that I am truly a menace to myself now that I can slide in the driver's seat of a car with little pain. Back to reality, ice on elevated leg, watching movies, taking my time :)
 
Glad to hear that you're going well! Love the little things that let us know that we've progressing! Rest up! :) Enjoy a few movies for me, will ya?
 
Wow on the sock achievement!
That would have freaked me out at that moment that I had done that movement across the body. Yikes!
But, good news to you is that it didn't hurt, so all is great with that!!!!

Your boating trip sounds like a full, enjoyable day!
 
Majorheid, Not a boating trip, just a visit to the marina, the lines were never un-tied. But the drive was nice, risky but nice. Yes, I looked down and my right foot was resting on my left knee and my legs were crossed and it dawned on me that is a no-no. But, according to the anterior surgeon, I have no restrictions, and it was painfree. I haven't tried it again, it kinda freaked me out. I am feeling just good enough to really mess it all up I think. You and I have the same timeframe going on my first surgery, and that hip is painfree and strong. What, about 12 weeks or more, right? And you are walking for miles, right? And driving, right? I'm just all out of patience with the second hip, but I am elevating and icing tonight...
 
Ahhh, I see now...
Still, you are probably doing a bit much. :holysheep:
Yes, your first hip and my first hip (only - so far) were the same week.
But, yes walking lots; 3 miles a day.... swimming breaststroke and doing silly water PT aerobic things.
You will get there soon enough on your second!
Just wait! :good-bad:
 
The little icons or whatever they are from MajorHeidi are very cool. "silly water Pt aerobic things' is very funny, wish I could watch, ha ha, LOL...
 
See the bar with all kinds of things in it above where you are typing? Just click on the smiley icon, and
you will get a bunch of little fun emoticons to use.
:kitty:
 
Hello all Hippies. Always get a nice feeling to turn on this website, so I will post to keep it going. So much of my trauma and drama related to surgeries and hips and pain has fallen into my history books, so that is my post for today. Day 24. Very little hip pain, maybe a bit under the incision. Still using one crutch because I like it. I am how many weeks post op from first THR on April 7, 15 weeks maybe? Last night was my first night to sleep on that hip, not on my back. It felt really strange to roll over on it, and the hip felt rock solid almost like I rose uphill slightly to lay in the fetal position on my left side. Placed a pillow between my legs and slept very well, painfree left and right hip all night! I have been sleeping on my back only since April 7. So, life is good. :)
 
hey @waterman1 - great to hear you're doing so well - i certainly appreciate the encouragement you gave me -
i'm 14 days post BTHR, still using the walker, but i really hear you about sub-consciously doing things you shouldn't. like taking a few steps in the kitchen or bathroom before you realize you left the walker behind -

i was walking a while with just a cane today. i'm sure that's just wrong, but felt so right -
putting my ankle on my knee to put on a sock or tie a sholace is just a dream for me right now -
but i genuinely can't believe the amount of mobility we can achieve in such a short period of time -

can only imagine (and hope for) where we'll be in 6 months -
 
23 days post-op, and my left thigh and wound area are SO tight. They are tight and need to be loosened with exercise correct? Still pins and needles in my foot.
 
Waterman1, I hope this gets to you as i am 60 as of the last week in June. You have some same questions i have had. I will try to answer some. I did both hips July 2nd, so i am 15 days post-op. This has been the best 15 days in a long time,you know the pain, i don't anymore. Period.I don't know what implant is in me. All i did was find the superstar surgeon to do it. I played sports High school (All) Fullback-Linebacker, Pitcher, Left Handed, and basketball and track. I Did the same in college. Not good enough for pros. But as a strength trainer for over 38 years i have worked with a lot of pro's. What we have to do is get it done. Talk to you surgeon about resurfacing vs thr. that's the man. if your first hip is great i think i would do the same on the other, it's your hip. We control the rehabilitation, i am not getting a pt. My doctor did not give me restrictions , any. i told them about Bonesmart. Give me a yell. PS played baseball against schools in the Brunswick area.
 
Hey Michegon, thanks for the post. You know, as you read about me I have been reaching out to all the ex athletes like me, and I find there are very few. You and I are the same age, and have the same problem with our hips. I imagine you have arthritis elsewhere, also. I am not so convinced anymore that you and I are just a couple of aging athletes with wore out bodies and hips. It is nice to talk to one with a similar childhood, and man we were just children back in the days of sports weren't we? I played pro ball with a couple of guys from Portland area. Has that always been your home? I'm not dropping names on here just yet, but I do wonder what happened to all the athletes I grew up with, don't you?
 
PT stopped by today, said he is done and it's time I move on to 'outpatient therapy with a pool'. He also said to begin walking outdoors with a cane and go as far as I want without pain. So, I have been packing my camping gear in a backpack kinda like a WWII soldier, plenty of foodstuff, and I am headed north for the breaststroke competition we have scheduled. I am returning to my childhood for a long walk like Forest Gump. I figure if I start walking now, I will be there in a week or two. MajorHeidi and AprilC, you better start training...
 
I'm reaching out to @Josephine. Am I eligible for the 'bilateral hippie' badge?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Atta Boy @waterman1 ! So glad to hear such good progress! I went to outpatient PT yesterday. The therapist gave me more exercises to do. He was really concerned that that left (non-op) was far worse that than right( operated) He did some tissue manipulations and OH BOY - was that an ouchy! Area is still pretty tender.
Keep up the Great work!
 
Hey, Hippy. I forget that you and most others still have that 'other hip' to deal with. I am so glad it is all behind me and walking without pain is truly wonderfullllll !! Best wishes for you in dealing with the 'other hip', but you already know what my advice is, right?
 
Hi all Hippy People, I am 3 weeks out on my Bilateral Hips. I found out i had Mini- posterior surgery and have a very slight 4 inch scar. All my steri strips are off. I am walking and driving and sleeping carefully on each side . I ditched the socks from H*** at 12 days as they were too small and causing bruises on both calves. I was not prescribed PT so my every day activities are it. I have been starting to integrate some training clients as i heal. I hope you all are improving. Waterman1 looks like he is doing great and same with MHeidy and Lee and April. Swimming next week.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom