TKR Anxiety about TKR - now it's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it doesn't hurt, I wouldn't worry about the grinding.
 
Hey @jenng2003 just checking in on you. Sorry it's been a while but looks like you're hanging in there.

I'm experiencing a lot of grinding as well, it's a very crunchy sound. Most of it is past 90 degrees though which is odd. I was told not to worry about it, as my musculature will gradually improve the patellar tracking.
 
It doesn't hurt, but it is not the now normal "clicking" I am hearing/feeling while walking. It is definitely the knee cap. I am glad to hear that it seems to be normal and it will hopefully get better. Pt didn't seem concerned but they insisted it is the normal clicking. It's not at the tibia area. It is the femur area under the knee cap. It is not the same noise/feeling. It is when I bend more than 90 degrees.

My scar is not healing nicely at the top of my leg :-(. I'm using massage and scar pads and silicon gel. Nothing seems to be helping. Pt said it is just life. I will give it some time, but I think it may need to be helped along with stronger stuff.

I am still fighting whatever virus I got at work. It just won't give up. I am thinking I will head to urgent care later and see what they can do.

Happy new year!!!


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I have been discharged from physical therapy . My flexion is 116 degrees and my extension is 0 degrees!


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My scar is not healing nicely at the top of my leg :-(. I'm using massage and scar pads and silicon gel. Nothing seems to be helping. Pt said it is just life. I will give it some time, but I think it may need to be helped along with stronger stuff.
Do you mean that your wound is still open, or that the scar is wider or more ugly than the rest?
If it isn't healed properly, wound not closed, then don't put anything on it.
If it just looks ugly, time will cause it to fade. Some people use Bio-Oil on the scar and swear by that. Others say it makes no difference.
 
It's closed. It wasn't stapled nicely so it healed unevenly (one side of the incision healed under the other side of the incision). I heal horribly to begin with. The top of the incision is all red and really lumpy and hard. Os said it is hypertrophic. It effects bending as well due to location and bumpiness. I am using silicone pads and gel. I massage it twice a day. I didn't care about it, but my supervisor (male) made a comment about how ugly it is, and now I am self-conscious about it. I am young and still care what others think (at times).


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hahaha! He wanted to see the scar. When the staples were in, it apparently looked "cool". I just found it amusing that a male, a little older than I am, was concerned about a scar looking bad. Most of my female colleagues think it looks bad "butt".

I will continue to massage and use everything possible to get the scar to flatten. I feel that it will give me a couple more degrees as well since it is one of the things that pulls when I bend. Plus anything touching it (pants) runs and further irritates it. The pads help as well as an ace wrap sleeve (holds the pad in place).


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Some people have said continuing to massage it (not too rough) will help decrease the sensitivity.
 
I am getting blister-like areas along my incision from wearing pants. It has just been too cold to wear skirts. Is this normal? It seems like the rubbing irritates the new scar.

My knee is angry about working. It was okay Monday and Tuesday, but it is swollen, stiff and achy today. I cannot ice at work, and I have been working really late this week. Hopefully I can rest this weekend.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
First full week of work is completed! By the end of the week my knee was very swollen (you could see it through my pants). Today I overdid it while I was out and about (it's hard to sit and rest with young children). I am icing and elevating for the rest of the night. Hopefully it goes down by morning.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It finally happened...I slipped and fell. I think the implant is okay, but the medial pain that was finally going away, has reared its ugly head again. My knee cap is slight sore to the touch in that area as well (no button). I'm icing and resting and elevating. Good news...my knee bends more now. Apparently it was like a self-manipulation! I will see how I feel in the morning. If it is still sore, I will call the OS.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jenng2003 I'm sorry you slipped and hurt yourself, but glad the damage wasn't greater. The implant itself is not likely to have been damaged, but I agree with you that you have probably given yourself a manipulation without anaesthetic. Ouch!.

Your soft tissues will be upset again because of that, so give yourself as much rest, ice and elevation as you can. Of course, if your pain doesn't settle down, do go back to your surgeon.
 
Hi @jenng2003, just happened upon your thread and wanted to wish you well. You have been through a lot, my goodness. I too fell twice at the 3 and 1/2 month mark and was so sore. I was assured by my OS at the time as Celle has mentioned that it is really hard to damage these replacement knees. Hope you are doing better and feeling better as time goes on.
 
Thanks! A week later and I am still sore. Urgent care said nothing looks wrong, but I have a feeling I strained/sprained my mcl again. The implant is good. It swells by the end of the week after working. I spend the weekend icing. I cannot wait for the day it doesn't hurt anymore.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@jenng2003 sorry to read that you fell and glad everything seems to be ok. That had to be scary. Going back to work takes a lot of energy. Rest in evenings and on weekends as you can. Keep icing and elevating. It will get easier each week.
 
Thanks! I'm pretty bruised still from my fall. I am stiffer too than I was (although that doesn't say much since I wasn't really stiff). I do have more ROM.

The worst of the pain is still behind my knee. I have no idea if I still have pcl or acl. I forgot to ask the dr. How long does it take for the sharp/aching pain to disappear behind my knee? It's the back of my leg. It is worse if I straighten my leg all the way and point my toes.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I am still having pain behind my knee. It is lower left side behind my knee. If I point my toe, it hurts worse. It is slightly swollen, but not excessively. It feels like it gives way at times (not the same way as arthritis did...more like a tiredness). Any advice or idea as to what this is? Someone suggested a bursa sac being irritated, but it is not super swollen like bursa sac issues have been in the past.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Josephine I had my 4 month follow up. Everything looks good. I mentioned the knee cap grinding and the it band pain. He wasn't concerned at all. I mentioned the pain behind my knee that hurt when I extend my leg and point and flex my foot. The pain is right behind my knee and goes into the top of my calf. He thinks it is nerve pain. I'm not convinced. Has anyone ever heard of this before???

@Josephine

LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Jo must not have received your tag. Let me try again for you @Josephine
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom