TKR Anxiety about TKR - now it's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever approached your GP? I know I've asked you before but unless I've missed it, you don't appear to have responded.
 
I have asked GP. They said no. They said ask os. I now have tramadol and Celebrex. I'm hoping it will help with the swelling. Night time pain is the worst, but the pain killers and 500mg tylenol aren't doing much so maybe tramadol and Celebrex or motrin will help!

I return on the 17th of this month. I only have 5 days to get through before break. I have my chair on wheels that I will use as much as I can. I do need to be moving frequently though. Dr wants me to go half days, but work said no. I figured it's a laid back time to return right before the holiday break. I am nervous though.

I have a arthrex implant. I do not have a button on the back of my knee cap. Os said they have discovered that people do better without one because it can mess up the tracking.

The OS said no manipulation at this time. I am making progress. I am at 85 degrees flexion without help and 90 with warming up and no help. 92 with help.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent--you are getting there bit by bit.
 
No pt today, but I drove for the first time. I had to go to work and get stuff together and do some work. I was there for two hours and then had to leave. I felt the nausea overwhelm me (this happens when I am in pain). I got home and took a tramadol. I iced and took a nap. I am not sure how I will do this all day longer in two weeks. One day at a time!


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
90 degrees on my own and 95 with assistance :-). No cane today. Started tramadol and Celebrex. I have some extra bruising because of aspirin so I will just take tylenol with it instead today. I slept pretty well. I woke at 1:30 and then 4:40. I even cleaned the bathroom this morning. I feel good.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
You should take 1,000mg Tylenol at a time. 500mg is not an effective dose. Unless you have a reason for that.
 
Yep...two extra strength tylenol plus the tramadol. My doctor said not more than 3000 a day, but I'm assuming that's because people aren't aware that tylenol is in other things.

I'm having a lot of muscle cramping today in my calf and hamstring. I've been stretching most of the day to work the cramps out.

I also will use my cane when in situations requiring it. For home and short jaunts, I've been asked to try not to use it. I walk better without it. I already told pt and os I will be using it at school in the hallways as a visual for the kids and to steady myself if I get knocked.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
PT again today. My flexion was 90 degrees on my own without warming up and 97 with a little stretching and
warming up. There is still some swelling. My muscles are tight and cramping. I spend a lot of the day stretching, icing, and elevating. I'm in a much better place mentally after a rough first month.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @jenng2003, just checking in on my fellow youth.

How's the tramadol working for you? It's similar to Nucynta but certain people can do better on one or the other. I couldn't stand the heavy-duty opiates either so I switched over to tramadol and tylenol. My head is finally out of clouds and my pain has been well controlled.

Glad you're outlook is getting better, just hang in there keep working on your PT. I started my own PT yesterday and boy am I sore this morning. It amazes me how much muscle atrophy can occur in just 2 weeks.
 
@RedRider I use nucynta still for PT, because it makes me loopy which allows my muscles to not fight as much. Tramadol is what I prefer because it doesn't impair me. I can function like a normal human while on it. I'm doing one Celebrex in the morning and then tylenol extra strength unless I have pt. Then it is nucynta. Tramadol takes the edge off without the loopy feeling. I am happy I have the pain relatively managed. I had horrible sleep last night, but it wasn't pain or stiffness. It was just insomnia. Napping with the dogs today. They are so happy.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Whatever is working for you, stick with it. I feel the same way with tramadol; it's effective yet keeps me out of "zombie" mode.

I was researching Anthrex products since I've never heard of them. They have a lot of educational resources I found very interesting, especially this interactive website:

https://www.orthoillustrated.com/knee/

Great videos! I had no idea how involved a HTO procedure was.
 
I had never heard of them either. Apparently my OS is doing a study with them. That's a neat website.

I am having trouble sleeping again tonight. It's not pain related by any means. It is just plain old insomnia. I did get up and refresh my ice since I was awake. I'm trying to limit my daytime napping to see if that helps to only 20-40 minutes. I'm sure my body will figure this out soon.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Another sleepless night. Pt was good again today. I was a solid 95 degrees on my own without any warm up. After stretching and a little help, I got to 101 degrees! Yay!!!!

I did something to my back in saturday and it has been in spasms ever since. My hamstrings in both legs are tight because of it. I spent a lot of time on the heating pad this weekend. I'm hoping it'll settle in the next couple of days.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
PT again today. My flexion was 90 degrees on my own without warming up and 97 with a little stretching and
warming up.
Do not worry about the numbers---let the PT's obsess with them---they are a very quantitative group. If you focus on merely the numbers, you will get frustrated at times.
I am having trouble sleeping again tonight. It's not pain related by any means. It is just plain old insomnia. I did get up and refresh my ice since I was awake. I'm trying to limit my daytime napping to see if that helps to only 20-40 minutes.
The sleepless issues were, for me, the second most frustrating aspect of my recovery---I can remember those issues quite well.

I will tell you that you should sleep when your body needs to---do not try to limit your sleep during the day. Your body will does need the rest, so if you need to sleep during the day, feel free to do so.
 
I'm afraid with going back to school soon that I will need that nap but not be able to get it. I wasn't a great sleeper before surgery either but that was due to pain.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I forgot to take pain meds the last two nights. I woke up feeling more pain. I had pt again today. It went well. No more range, but my muscles are getting stronger.

I do have a new pain. It is located below my knee joint on my tibia. I did not hit or bump it. It feel bruised but there isn't any bruise. Therapist said I must've bumped it, but I know I didn't. Is this a normal pain? I didn't have it until yesterday. I didn't do anything different. I am walking without the cane. I use a shopping cart in stores instead of the cane. Anyone else have this pain?


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I think your exercises/PT are to blame. They usually are.
 
There is nothing new. Why would it suddenly hurt? No weights or anything. It's weird.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom