Guest viewing is limited

TKR Anxiety about TKR - now it's done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mentioned the knee cap grinding and the it band pain. He wasn't concerned at all.
They rarely are! You have to remember that they are specialists in their field and don't have a lot of interest in these (to them) minor issues. That's why Bone Smart exists!
I mentioned the pain behind my knee that hurt when I extend my leg and point and flex my foot. The pain is right behind my knee and goes into the top of my calf. He thinks it is nerve pain. I'm not convinced. Has anyone ever heard of this before???
Oh yes, it's actually quite common and I've even had it myself. Still do actually and have had it for about a year now! But it's not nerve pain it's tight muscles - the pattern of mine was like this (left leg)

[Bonesmart.org] Anxiety about TKR - now it's done!


I have mine treated by going to a chiropractor every few weeks. Having the knee replacement made it flare up terribly but of course I was unable to get to him for about 4 weeks. Such a relief when I was finally able to.
 
The IT band pain his diminished with starting to weight lift and visits to the chiro. No knee extensions allowed since the knee cap is grinding still. It's my knee cap, so there still could be arthritis there (or it could've returned he said).

Behind the knee pain keeps me up at night. Chiro helps. It hurts just like the picture. I know it's not sciatica pain like OS said. There's no sciatica flare. Chiro said the muscle has shortened since surgery and it needs to stretch back out. It cause me to limp at times due to the pain level.

OS is thrilled with my progress. He said I'm ahead of normal recovery (working out, full time/overtime work, and keeping after young kiddos). This was at the 16 week mark. I even did zumba at around the 12 week mark. Only issue is the pain behind my knee.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
My pain level has increased the last few weeks. The swelling has increased as well could I be overdoing it at this point? Or does the warrant a call/visit to the dr?


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hmm, it's 9 months or so on and should be much better; but yes you could be overdoing things. If you've started something new recently, that could be it. The missive 'if it swells after doing it, don't do it' still applies.
 
It's better most of the time. The last couple of weeks have brought about more swelling and aches in my knee. I had been going to the gym but stopped. I was running before the pain started (only inside and very short distance...one mile or less). I just wasn't sure if I was doing too much or if some ache is normal.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi Jenng2003, I had mine tkr a couple of weeks b4 u and my recovery has not been as quick as I would like it, although I am walking, climbing stairs, and playing a little tennis and even dancing.... my knee however is still swollen and swells up with activity, so therefore, the ROM has not really increased and sometimes is limited by the swelling. Maybe the weather, but it was swollen b4 it got hot here. Maybe my diet? salt? I think its mostly the activity that gets it swollen. Friends say ask your Dr., but I figure he would just say, ice it. Any advice you get would be welcome. I don't have that grinding with the knee cap like you mentioned. My Dr. said he put a "button" behind the patella so that it would glide. Did you Dr. do that?
 
Hi @kneegone

I don't have a button. My OS does not do them based on his research. I did call and ask about my increased discomfort. He thinks I am overdoing it and I need to slow down. I feel so normal that it is hard to imagine I am overdoing it, but it makes sense I guess. It was major surgery. I see the chiropractor this week and will get his opinion as well.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Let us know how you do after slowing down a bit.
 
I'm frustrated. The pain decreases but then comes back. The last two nights have been miserable. I actually took pain pills last night to try to take the edge off.

My knee swelled on Tuesday night suddenly. I did not do anything all day except sit at my desk with it propped up. I didn't work out or do any extensive walking. It had fluid on the medial side to the base of the knee cap. The pain was a bone ache. I used ice and elevated all night long. Wednesday, I called the OS (on vacation and the nurse said to just watch it). I used ice and elevated my leg most of the day. I did have to go to the store and I used a cart because the pain was too bad. I used ice and elevated all night again. I have not slept more than an 5 hours total both nights.

Is it okay to have this pain? Or should I be pushing the OS to get in?


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Let's see what @Josephine says. It might not be a bad idea to set up an appointment with the OS; you can always cancel if the pain goes away by the time you can get in. In the meantime I think you're doing the right things.
 
It's never okay to have pain. Are you taking pain meds for it?
 
I took nucynta last night to try to get some sleep. I cannot take NSAIDs. I'm icing and elevating. This pain came on suddenly. I did not overdo it like the nurse suggested. I was sitting at my desk just like I do everyday. I fell asleep on the couch watching tv and the next thing I knew I woke up in pain scale 7 pain. I grabbed ice and elevated all night. And then the next morning the swelling was down. I walked around the grocery store and it was a level 7 as I was doing that. I am not sure what is going on. The OS is adamant about not seeing me. He says as long as it's not red and hot, I need to just suck it up. It's bone ache pain. I don't know what's going on. I'm frustrated. I've been getting shin splints the last two months but I just ice them and they go away.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Definitely weird. :what:
 
Yeah I know. And I called again today. Once again I was told if it's not red and hot that there's nothing they can do. It definitely gets worse the more I walk, but I'm not walking excessively. To be honest, last week I walked over 2 miles extra each day with little discomfort. This week, I am sitting most of the time with my leg propped up, and I have pain scale 7 pain. Go figure!!! I know my hip flexor is tight but it's not like it's not been tight before.


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
It sounds like last week's extra activity is catching up with you. Keep taking it easy.
 
I had my one year check up in October. OS said my pain and stiffness is due to nerve damage/sciatica pain. It's frustrating.

On the bright side, I am pregnant. Because of the ltkr, my ob is considering me high risk. Has anyone had a baby after a tkr?


LTKR. October 27th 2014

Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
I think it's time to look for a second opinion, from a surgeon who specialises in doing revisions for knee replacements and who is not connected at all with your current surgeon. That means no in the same practice, and not in the same golf club or "old boys" club.
A second opinion doesn't mean the surgeon will want to rush in and do a revision. It's more that he will be experienced in looking at problem knees and will look at your knee with new eyes.

I don't like the way your current surgeon has consistently brushed off your complaints and worries.
 
I am not sure why you would be high risk because of the tkr---maybe because of the infection risk after the birth? I think you will be able to carry the baby just fine---congratulations, by the way, I am happy for you.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom