Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are a rockstar in my book! Two hips and going back to work early with a pile of manure in your path! That's rockstar sh**!
My return date is aug 2 and I literally have no idea what to expect. Knowns for returning to a startup are: chaos, long hrs, resentment from people who've been busting their hind ends to get that place up and going while I've been away, zero sympathy or help, and new responsibilities. No biggie right?! Oi vey! I have the worst migraine today. Set in as soon as I found my work status letter that said I return aug 2, a week earlier than I remembered.

How is your walking? Has the bursitis calmed down? So glad you decided to dip into those funds to support your healing. Since you return to work soon, pack in as many visits possible before that date, then maybe have a weekly apt for the first few wks back, to keep your body on track.


RTHR, posterior, 15JUN2015
 
Oh @Tweefishy and @Suzette work definitely gets in the way! I am retired and can't imagine the stress of getting back to work - with the lack of sleep as well. Suzette your GP sounds a nightmare, no rhyme or reason. I am glad you are investing in chiropratice. It will be so worth it. Take care speak later x
 
Hi all, well I got the call from the OS secretary. She asked me to email. So I did. The OS wants to see me Friday. Yippee. Hopefully I will get some hints and tips with how to deal with this right leg pain.

Made the mistake of taking the doggy for a walk without a stick. Bad thing to do. I had trouble walking back which was about a 3rd of a mile. The right hip was really aching in the bursitis area. Had pain along the incision area moving into the groin area. This pain was accompanied by a bubble wrap popping feeling. Strange.

The left side was fine until I sat down. Then had the buttock throb and cramping and pain down the left leg. Lying down I have stinging in right hip bursa and a burning cramping going on in the buttock. Moral of the story is not to do that again.

I am writing a list for the surgeon :) and making notes at the time the pain is there, as it's easy to forget after it has eased.

I am also waiting for the chiropractor to call me back.

Am also hoping I am not awake yet again at 3am....can't sleep in the day so am getting rather tired and ratty!

So roll on Friday when hopefully I can get some answers :yay:

X
 
So happy you got an appointment! !! Hoping he can pinpoint what the heck is going on for you once and for all. Please let us know how it goes as well as with chiro. Xo
 
Really hope you get some answers tomorrow.Will be thinking of you. X
 
Hi @donor and @forestje hope you are both doing ok today. I am really hoping he can let me know what is going in with all the soft tissue problems. The new hips are great though, the positions I can get them in now is well, flexible!! And no I don't mean that sort of being flexible.....:heehee: I can sit crossed legged, can't uncross them though!!
I spoke to the chiropractor today and she wants me to get the go ahead from the OS before any type of manipulation, but can help with acupuncture and soft tissue massage for the adhesions. I was happy with that as it made me feel she is not just protecting me from possible adverse effects, but herself if she caused it, and also isn't just in it for the money, which a lot of private practitioners can be. She also can recommend a good physio, if the surgeon gives me the go ahead. She said even if I only see a physio once, to ensure the walking I am doing will suffice, that is better than no advice at all.

So let's hope I get all my questions answered tomorrow and I will let you know how I get on.

Xoxo I have a confession, I only just realised what xoxo means... hugs and kisses
 
Sounds like a really good plan, if be really interested in how this goes for you as I have some sessions in my plan for when I get past the 3 month mark to help me get back to more sporty stuff ( only wk 3 atm ). I'm really quite apprehensive about letting anyone near my new hips so info would be really great.

Good luck and hope it works out for you


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi all
Feel a little confused and relieved at the same time, but also a bit fed up. I saw the OS as an extra on his list today, but I felt like I had wasted his time with my concerns, as he wasn't concerned at all, but wanted to see me as I was concerned and therefore so was he. There was a lot if the concerning word going on!

Explained about the bursitis bulge and the pain on right hip/ thigh, and buttocks aching, stinging and burning. When standing sitting and lying. He checked incisions and movement in legs, squeezed muscles felt the femur. He said everything was great, no heat or redness so no infection in bone or scar and I walk great and I am ahead of the game after a bilateral, which were 2 major ops in one...... I felt a bit of an idiot then, as every pain I was having was normal....

What do I do about the constant throb, I asked, sitting there with my bonesmart diagrams highlighting the areas of pain and burning, pain relief he said.. and that was it. The point is, it doesn't work!

I asked if I needed a PT assessment, I don't. But he is happy for me to go through with my plan to have acupuncture and tissue massage. He feels most of the pain in my thigh is from adhesions deep in the muscles. Is not sure whether bursitis is an issue or not, but didnt seem to bothered anyway and I am to go back to the hosp in November for a follow up.

So I have made appt to see a chiropractor as long as no manipulation goes on. Oh I did ask about anti inflammatories and I can have those. Fairly disappointed in a way, as I had to keep asking what I should be doing rather than being told what I should or could be doing to help myself. Maybe that's normal??

I was exhausted when I got home and I had hardly done anything so am lying down. I will also ice. I also have a huge craving for a very high calorie high fat chicken pie. :bignono: So I will go with the urge and pie coming up :happydance:
 
@AndyH99, so I have been told no injection until at least 12 wk by GP, told by OS all pain I have in right leg is normal. Wasn't interested in the sciatic pain down the back of my legs, I gave up in the end.

So I have my first acupuncture and deep massage next Friday. So let's hope that helps. I do have a pre booked appt with gp on 20th Aug, so will see if I need that nearer the time. All in all not much further on but at least I can get some massage
 
Hi suzette
It doesn't sound as if your appointment was how you would have liked it to have been. A bit similar to my surgeon, everything I asked him he said "you'll be fine" "it is fine' etc when things I was talking about were not fine to me!

Let the high fat chicken pie satisfy you - you need sustenance at this point! xx
 
Been looking for you today.So sorry to hear you are really no further on, hope the chiropractor can give you some relief.
If I was in your position, I would be chomping on a large block of dark Green and Black's chocolate, after the pie of course. x x
 
Well that pie wasn't what I was hoping, should have had a pukka pie from the chip shop, not a fray bentos one.

@forestje yes I think a bar of any sort of chocolate is now needed, am sure I have hidden one in the fridge.....

@copsham it was very similar to your appointment it seems, as everything is normal, but as you say, not to me it isn't. He said the bone is fine, the incision is fine the implant is fine, so the burning and stinging is not from any of that, so therefore everything is normal....

So now I will focus on being normal then? Take cocodamol and ibuprofen, ice, acupuncture, massage, stick Outside, don't walk too far in one go when outside, don't sit or stand too long or lie on my sides and dont worry when still awake half the night and when the pain is really stinging and throbbing, do I put up with it as it is normal, I just don't know anymore, it's confusing.

Right where is that chocolate?
 
Sorry you didn't OS wasn't more engaged.
I was hoping you would get some relief.

The only encouragement I can offer is that yesterday I actually had the least amount of " butt pain" since surgery; ( it came back up again today though) but that is a small sign of progress.
Ice, rest and pain Meds are still my preferred option.
 
@Suzette will write more this weekend but just wanted to send a hug. So sorry you didn't get some good answers damn. I hope you get some relief from chiro @Tweefishy loves hers!!!! Please keep strong and know you are supported here and we understand you!!! Xoxoxoxoxo yes, hugs and kisses both from me!
 
"So now I will focus on being normal then? ................."

I have read that post several times now and that paragraph is just terrific!
It reminds me of something that Jack Kerouac might have written.
It is poetry in it's own right.

I know that things will slowly start to turn around for you.
@Suzette
 
Hi @lalo , thanks for your messages, I will look up jack :) and I hope you are ok today.

I have seriously got on the nerves of those at home, as I am now constantly walking about, saying, 'well I will just carry on through the pain, as it's normal ..... !! ?

The funny thing is, my butt pain is a bit less today too, let's hope both our butts will ease up a bit more each day.

I am looking forward to seeing the chiropractor, as I am really hoping for some help..Trouble is, I keep hoping, but then I pinned my hopes on the GP and then the OS then felt let down. Still, it's worth a try.

Have spent the last few days trying to get used to just getting on with it, or is it, grinning and bearing it!! I did feel rather depressed after the hospital visit, but have been hyperactive today and managed to walk nearly 3 miles, not all in one go, but still a lot of walking since my new hips.

It's a case now of helping myself and moving forward. So back to work tomorrow, but only for a few hours to sort out my seating, desk etc and to meet with the boss to discuss my job role. This feels a little scary as I don't know what to expect both with my role and sitting down without being in pain.

I will write up tomorrow how it goes. @lalo :fingersx:
 
@Suzette Good luck on your talk with your boss. Don't forget to remind them of the added tenacity, drive, focus and planning skills you've obtained through your surgery and recovery - if you can make it through that then anything a job can throw at you can never be as stressful - can't hurt to try - lol


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Well @AndyH99, what a very good idea...Am going to try that.

How are your bilateral hips doing?, do you have one that's more painful than the other ? My pre op really bad hip is really great, my not nearly so bad hip is terrible, all soft tissue stuff but my word it gets you down.

Will let you know how it all goes at work.

My buttocks ache now, bet that's from the near 3 miles of walking !!

P's can you tell I am fairly chuffed with my walking :yes!: hope I don't pay for that tomorrow :banghead:

X
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Suzette
Just caught up with your thread and blimey ! You walked 3 miles with your 2 new hips! That's just great....don't think I got that far in ages with only one new hip! All that pain in the butt, soreness & stiffness does wear off but it takes some considerable time.......if I've read it right you are only 12 weeks off bilateral? I found icing to be really the best painkiller of them all.
Good luck going back to work.....I hope your pains subside very soon...cheers Chrissie x


Sent from my iPad using BoneSmart Forum
 
@Suzette So far, baring my early mishap, my shiny new hips have been both consistently good, relative to my recovery stage, so I'm hoping they keep that way. Pre-op my right was worse but it's so nice that it's even now. Long may it continue!

As for the 3 miles, I look forward to hitting that progression point. Fingers crossed you don't pay too much for it


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom