Bilateral THR Anteriors 15th June 2015 - my recovery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi @Tweefishy it didnt happen. I did ask for one and was just told we will meet thursday. Not sure if it was due to more people being in the office and so would be able to hear the discussion.
@copsham I agree with the whats the motive questions too. Thats the problem with the boss she does and says one thing is very generous but then can change moods totally and does and says something opposite...very un nerving and always have to be ready for it!! Its been the same for 6 yrs!!

Oh and I was intending to watch the husband pick the apples :heehee:

@AndyH99 I already have some ideas that I am ready to put forward especially about the prison stuff... need to tackle the long distance driving issue too, honestly though the planning and tactics in going to work is mad!

I could of course get legin down here with some haggis at the ready.

@Hoppy Nanny thanks for message. It did go ok for the short time I was there. Still contemplating whether to go in today or leave things as they are planned.
 
@Suzette Hi, just curious, when in your recovery did you progress from two crutches to one crutch?


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
hi all, hope you are doing well today. I decided not to go into work, but to leave the rota this week as it is. Next week I am going to try a 5 hour day to see how that goes. If it is too much will drop it back down again. Can but test things out. I also hope I can get to sleep before 4 am tonight. I can't sleep in the day so it is really getting to me now too. No sleeping pills help either !! worse luck x
 
Hi Suzette just looking to see how you are doing today.Are you sleeping on your back or sides? Like you I still find it hard to sleep and am either on my ipad or playing solitaire on my Nintendo in the early hours.
If someone asked me what is the most important thing you needed-after pain control of course-I would honestly say a multi socket extension lead on the bed, as I do not know how I would have managed these last 2 months without.
 
Hi @forestje...I have the extension cable too. I either have my phone or my tablet thingy on charge. Trouble is I do need one just that bit longer so I can use things whilst still on charge...

I used the big bolster pillow last night to sort of lean on it, so I was half on my side, rather than totally on my back or totally on my side. Side sleeping really does give me pain in my hips if I have pressure on them in the wrong place. So its half on my back or half on my front, with the front position I use the bolster pillow under my top leg to support it and my bottom hip has to be nearly flat on the bed...trouble with that position I can't move at all once I am in it !!

I keep hoping the sleep pattern will return to normal. ...so far it hasn't. What a complete pain not sleeping is.

I need to go and catch up on your thread too ..I may see you later x
 
Last edited by a moderator:
So glad you made it thru your 1st day back. Now hoping your one on one with the boss goes well.
The long drive sounds terrible. Betting on you to negotiate acceptable terms.
On the subject of extensions chord by the bed, I almost took a pic of my bed but decided against it. My wife calls it a squirrels nest. The bed has a metal frame and I have all sort of containers strapped to the frame with all of the recovery essentials, including an extension chord. You take care; you had us all holding our breath when we didn't hear from you till late yesterday .
 
Hi @lalo sorry I didnt manage to get back to everyone until late. It was my Sons fault! He came back late from a weekend camping and proceeded to fill the house up with gear and washing, then wanted food etc.....I managed to escape to bed in the end and leave him to it...he is 27 but sometimes more like 17...and guess who did all the washing today...

I am hoping the one on one isnt too tricky, and that she accepts that I am pretty sure I can not drive for hours at a time at the moment and then stand for hours. So far I have only driven about 5 miles in one go.

Wil see what happens and go from there....

Are you planning on a return soon? Do you have a distance to drive?

Ps I never thought about attaching things to the bed frame...mmm thats a thought!
 
How aweful to have to worry about working (and all the issues that go with it) on top of trying to recover from a bilateral! I guess one must do what they've gotta do. I will keep you in my prayers @Suzette!
 
Hi @AndyH99 sorry about the delay in getting back to you, I keep missing messages.

I had the 2 crutches before the op so had got the hang of them quite well. After the first 2 horrendous weeks, where I was lying down most of the time i continued to use both. Then I noticed the left leg/hip was actually ok without a crutch, at about 2.5 weeks, so dropped to the one to support my right leg /hip only. It is still my right side that gives me the most problems. The left I dont really have any issues.

Are yours still equal or is one better then the other now?

So as I was only using the one crutch I moved to one stick. By week 3 I stopped using the stick, but only when in the house. If I went out I had to take the sticks or crutches depending on how far I thought I would be walking. I definitely needed some help if walking more than about 200yds as the ache really started up. Whereas inside the house there was furntiture to use as a support and you can stop and start more. Plus I was stubborn and kept forgetting where I had put the stick so didnt bother with it in the end!!

I have just stopped the stick outside at week 9. But I always have them in the car just in case.

To be honest, if you feel you need to use the crutches, then use them both until you feel confident to drop one. I did find using one made me walk funny , sort of lopsided which made one of the hips ache anyway. I couldnt stop myself being lopsided either, I kept adjusting the stick height and I still did it..

I practised the heel toe walking a lot too and that really helped, using sticks and without sticks.

Go with the flow and how your hips feel, the aches and your confidence and only move to one when you are happy to do so.

You know I really need to stop waffling! !

X
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi @Cynthia777 thank you so much for your message.

It is strange sometimes, in the sense that I have 2 new hips and in just 9 weeks, trying to just get on with life, work etc.

Then the aching starts or I bump into the desk, which is just the same height as the incisions....and I am reminded of my metal bits. But I am more focused on my muscles and the pain there and forget why they hurt in the first place !!

Are you looking forward to your THR? I was really excited about mine, but not everyone gets excited about having an operation or 2

Xx
 
You know Suzette, back in May when my pain level was at a 5 or 6, I couldn't wait to get it done. Now that my pain level has dropped to a 1 or 2 at most (and my surgeon suggesting I wait), I've lost that looking forward to feeling. Now I'm thinking more along the lines of, am I doing the right thing.

I find you such an inspiration, with your positive attitude and perseverance! You're a very positive person and I can tell you'll get through anything and with your head held high! :-)
 
Hi again @Cynthia777 you are really kind. Thank you x

You know if you feel you can cope with the pain right now and you are not sure about going ahead, maybe you should delay it. It is a tricky one though, as I am assuming you will need to have the replacement sooner or later, so would it be better to have it sooner?

Do you know why the pain levels have dropped? If you delay and things change back to painful, how long will you have to wait before you can get surgery booked in again.

I had times where I thought, I would delay because for some unknown reason the pain levels dropped and then weeks later it would come back again.

You still have a little time to decide and you should go with your gut feeling and maybe another chat with your surgeon.
Good luck though with what you decide to do.

And thank you for your lovely words x
 
Hi @Suzette, never a problem, we all have so many challenges in our lives I'm surprised we remember to breath some days!

Thank you for your explanation, it made total sense. I'm just about to start wk 4 and indoors two crutches feels like too much, but I don't have the strength yet to reduce to one so I'm considering moving to 2 sticks as sort of a first step progression. By way of an experiment I have tried a single crutch in a safe setting and I can manage half a dozen steps on a good day, but that's the exception. The really strange thing is I can walk backwards with one crutch or stick, weird in some ways but given muscle differences it makes sense.

All in all its still early days for me so I'll be patient. Thank you for the info and detail in your reply.

Have a great day.


Sent from my iPhone using BoneSmart Forum
 
Hi @AndyH99 4 weeks already, where did that time go!!

Yes crutches do get in the way sometimes, I tripped on mine once and twisted my leg. That caused a bit of a oooooh. Sticks are much easier to handle. So good plan and you may just start to forget to use them all the time then too. But only when you are good and ready. As you had both hips done and they are equally painful to walk on still, you may find just one stick no good as you are only supporting one side. I had a good and a bad side. I had to learn to hold the stick in the opposite hand for my now bad side, it used to be my good side pre op.

So One stick if you have one bad side now, but stick to 2 sticks if they are equal at the moment. Does that make sense! ! X
Ps I found going side ways easier than going forward!! Like a crab :heehee:
 
Well day 2 of phased return and today I managed 2.5 hours!! I could not believe it when I felt tired after 1.5 hours and wanted to go to sleep. I cant even sleep at night when I am tired.I could have managed it on my desk today!!

I am finding this very strange considering I am more active at home. It must be having to use my brain for a change :snork:

So far so good on the ergometric stool. I can fidget on it as well, by keep changing my leg/hip positions whilst still sitting.

Am in again for 3 hours tomorrow. Will see if boss has this meeting she has mentioned......

Then off to the GP to try and sort this sleeping and night pain out.

Then next week am going to try 3 days at 5 hours each day....will see how it goes.

Now, its 9 pm and I am feeling more awake than during the day.

Anyone else like this? ?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Most go thru this tired but nightime sleep eludes, I still get it. I'm in awe at your program and believe me your sleep pattern will return. Whilst surfing on the wave of recovery we smarties are always here for you.

Legin THR Sep 14
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom