TKR Another small step forward to reclaiming my life!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

*bumping rights
I have seniority w/in the organization I work for. I may be able to move into another job.
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Aha! Gotcha!
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

In this country, some types of employment come with "bumping rights" in case of layoffs. That means there are rules in place where certain criteria are considered and sometimes you can "bump" someone who has lower tenure or worse job performance evaluations than you do.

This is especially the case in a lot of government jobs and those with strong unions. When the "bumping" process starts, you might "bump" someone out of their job (you may even have choices of who you'd like to "bump"). The "bumped" person then can "bump" someone lower than him in the rating process.

I've been through a few of these in the Federal Government and it frankly is EXTREMELY stressful and disruptive to the workforce. But....it can be a means to save yourself from being out on the street. In some cases when you "bump" to a lower paid job, you might even retain your old pay for a while. It all just depends on how the employer's program is set up.
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

I have worked at my job for almost 17 yrs, but over that time I have had 3 different organizations issue my pay check! each time back to the bottom of the food chain for years of service even though my office and job has not changed :scratch:. So I have no "guilt" bumping if that is what it comes to, it is not personal, it is life.
what I'm praying for is the funding to come through and a recall to my job. before I have to make the decision to follow through on bumping.
what I want is MY job.
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Catherine,

I don't blame you for wanting your old job! I hope that comes through! It is so tough to decide to "bump" someone else, knowing that they will be out of a job.

In the teaching profession, we are "excessed" at our campuses sometimes, meaning that there are too many teachers for that campus.

That happened to me several years ago when the principal decided to cut the Reading department. I was excessed, and put out on the "open" market. I decided to go on vacation and not even worry about it, and when they called me, the principal that "claimed" me really wanted me because she had heard all about my skills! Made me feel good!:biggrin:

The principal who excessed me told me it was one of the toughest decisons he had ever had to make, because I was a great teacher. :wink1:

So no matter what, realize that you are a great person, with valuable job skills, that can be utilized anywhere!:yahoo:
It may be at that company, in the same position, or in a different position.

It also could be God is telling you it's time to challenge your "boundaries" a little, and a great new job is waiting around the corner!:prayer1:

No matter what happens, I will be praying for you!

Get that knee checked out, and if you need surgery, get it scheduled while you are still covered.:friends:
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

I have to admit that the two times I was reassigned because of organizational changes in my Federal job, both times turned out to be a huge benefit for me career-wise. You would have never convinced me at the time, but I came to understand that many times the change is good for you and the company.
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

thanks everyone,
I will get my knee checked out. I have to admit there is a "voice" inside me that has said there is something else out there and I have heard that message for a few years.... and it is not in teaching... that is VERY scary. I figured I would do that later? when I had met the needs of full retirement (in 9 more years) I'm a special education case manager in a Youth Corrections facility.
I wish I didn't have to worry about an income but I DO, I'm single so it is me... (and no Knight in Shining Armor on the horizon) although I do have some money in savings, not a lot. I also have to worry about Ins and can't have a break in my ins I have MS and my disease modifying drugs are very expensive and I can't take a chance of having a break in ins and being hit with pre existing condition, as long as I don't have a break in my ins, I don't need to worry about it. So I will need to take out a cobra.
thanks so much for the support everyone. it really means a lot!
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Catherine,

I also have MS. I was on Avonex for awhile and switched to Copaxone. Then I decided, no more, and got off it altogether! So far so good!:thumb: My MS has gone into remission and I am so fortunate.

I realize how expensive those drugs are though, so yes, you definitely need Cobra! I would "bump" someone if I were in your situation though, because you really need the job!:wink1: That way you don't have to worry about paying for Cobra.

Seventeen years is a lot of time to invest with no return. Good luck to you and God bless!
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Hi Sonja
I have been on copaxone for 10 yrs and it has really stabilized my MS (dx Jan of 1994)
I also know my MS has been most affected by serious job stress so bumping into a position that is a bad fit is a big risk to my health.
so many things to sort out!
thank you so much
Catherine
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Well I have an appt with my OS on Friday the 3rd, I stressed that I really want to talk to my Doc (not his PA), that I saw the PA 2 weeks ago and it left me with questions.
SO, that appt is made.
I also tried to get an appt with my Primary care doc this week but no luck (school is closed this week) but I will have an appt next Wed, I'm a pretty strong person but my anxiety level his high right now, on a few of my outings the past few days I'm finding myself almost in a panic attack.... so I want to talk to her about possible options as well as a referral that I need for something else.
anyway - thanks for the support, I don't know anything new today, I will send out emails with my questions to my boss as well as union rep Wed AM and see what I can learn.
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Hi, Catherine.....just checking in with you to let you know I'm thinking about you!!!
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Hi Catherine!:biggrin:

I was dxed in June of 1999. I know that stress plays a major role in MS so I am praying that you can keep your job that you are comfortable in.:prayer1:
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

update
part 1
Saw my OS today, man I adore him! He told me that regardless of my meniscus that is not my biggest issue, the big issue is my ever shrinking joint space. (and that this good joint, really is pretty much a mess, it was just better than the really really really messed up disaster of my L knee) He said that the joint space should be 3x the size it is and it really is a pretty bad joint, I am also working on some bone spurs that were not there a year ago. Pretty much said sooner or later it will need to be replaced for me to really feel better.
So today I had steroid injection, I have a follow up appt in 2 weeks.
then we will look at the Euflexxa injections. Then replacement.. I'm max out of (my) pocket for my ins yr (that goes through Sept 30th). so it is possible if I am not feeling better, I will do what I can to get my knee replaced prior to sept 30.
part 2
Job front,
It is very likely that my position will not be funded at least for July/aug/sept. I have signed up for recall as well as bumping after a lot of talking with my union rep. I guess there is already a "fuss" regarding little ole ME - I have a lot of seniority and a bunch of people DO NOT WANT little old ME lol some how being part of YCEP (youth corrections education program) for 17 yrs is not what they are looking for for early childhood :scratch: special ed :hysterical: so the good news is I don't want those jobs EITHER! :DOH:so chances are something will be "worked" out, they are as afraid of me as I am of them :sigh:

I'm SO tired, so worn out
please keep me in your prayers, it looks like at the very least I'm off for the summer starting June 30th.
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Catherine,

You definitely have a load on your plate! I will be praying that you get a job that you want; hopefully the job that you had!:biggrin:


 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Good for you, Catherine!!! You're keeping the pressure on and that's just what you should do. Bluff 'em.....maybe they'll make you an offer that is just to good to pass up!!!
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Hang in there Catherine! We are here for you!
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

You are right in takig the action tha you have done. You have been a faithful employee and you have seniority. I am hoping that everything works out great for you---with the job and with your knee!
 
Re: Another small step forwad to reclaiming my life!

Well the Awesome gal Tonya at my OS office resubmitted to my ins for my Euflexxa injections for my right knee! and followed up, over and over.......
Yipee, I'm NOW approved and will have my first shot on July 13th
for those who like the sort of gory, here is an animation
broken link removed: https://jamesballardmd.com/education/visco-animation.php

I had steroid injection on friday, my right knee still feels hot and angry and sore. I'm told it may take up to a week for full impact of the injection so we shall see....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom