BoneSmart® Hip / Knee Replacement Forum
Joint Replacement Patient Advocacy
and Online Community
  1. RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Dismiss Notice

[REVISION THR] Another Second Chance

Discussion in 'Hip Replacement Recovery Area' started by inthebeginning, Apr 22, 2019.

1. SE Florida

SE Florida post-grad

United States United States
    Pretty big deal mowing the yard like that! Was just watching the news and retail sales have plummeted for May (so has our business!) so maybe that includes neighborhood garage sales too! :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Layla

Layla FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

Hello and Happy Friday! :wave:
    Sounds like you had a really good day! :yes!:
    A little exercise and a little chill time in the lawn chair watching the garage sale traffic.
    I'd call that a healthy balance. You're doing great.
    I hope you and your family have a lovely weekend. :)
    @inthebeginning

• Like Like x 2
  3. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

@SE Florida
    The three adjacent neighborhoods were all having their neighborhood garage sales as well.
    As far as the lawn, it was just the front, pretty small yard. But it felt great!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

@Layla
    Thanks!! Swim meet tomorrow then..... nothing!

• Like Like x 3
  5. Mojo333

Mojo333 FORUM ADVISOR Forum Advisor

You are doing great. My daughter has been lifeguarding since high school...for the past several years and now teaches certifications.
    Great job I think, as there is a serious responsibility attached that seems to have built great character with her...a little more rewarding than "Do you want fries with that?"
    Not that I'm dismissing any jobs...even fast foods..
    I worked at burger joint for summers in school.
    Glad you are doing so well.
    Hope your weekend is Sweet!:happydance:

• Like Like x 3
  6. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

@Mojo333 Thanks!
    So far, he’s actually had to provide one swimmer assist already on his first shift! A smaller kiddo was having a little trouble so he held out the pole and pulled him to the side! Very proud! He does say he is ‘bored’ a bit. He has always been involved in activities that are all about running and moving. It’s hard for him to sit in one place! He’ll get it.

• Like Like x 4
  7. Layla

Good discipline though, it will teach him patience, right? Talking about the "sitting still" part.
    You've been a good example of that for him as I know you're chomping at the bit, lol.
    I think you're doing great, really I do. I hope your son does well at the swim meet and makes his papa proud.
    Enjoy the day!
    @inthebeginning

• Like Like x 4
  8. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

@Layla
    I think he will. What exactly did you mean ‘sitting still part’? LOL

Actually it was my daughter’s swim meet. She was in 5 events, 2 relays and 3 individual events. She swiped a little time off of a couple. First meet with only 3 practices in the pool due to the weather! Proud papa here!
    Have a great rest of the weekend.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Layla

Sitting still, sitting in one place, you know what I mean. Like father like son, lol.
    How will your son handle a shift on a lifeguard chair while on duty, or is he allowed to pace back and forth poolside? That's an awesome responsibility for a 15 yr old it seems. Your kids must be excellent swimmers.
    Sounds like your daughter did well. You should be a proud papa.
    Hope you have a fantastic Sunday!

• Like Like x 2
  10. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

No pacing that I’m aware of. I think they sit for :15 min intervals in the chairs and rotate. Depending on how many chairs are staffed (depends on how many swimmers are in the pool) they get a :15 min break every 5 or 6 moves.

11. Mojo333

They definitely do alot of sitting...scanning. My daughter works at a large waterpark so many different areas..slides, wave pools, small child splash pads, lazy river...
    My daughter said her big day yesterday involved mass chaos when someone's wig washed up in small children's area and panic ensued when the "monster" floated up.:rotfl:

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

I got ahead of myself last week. I posted ‘Day 44’, when it was actually 36.

So for today, Day 41. This may be a long post.

Saw my doc’s PA today for a 6 week post-op. Since I’ve been following doctors orders (@Layla), everything looks and feels great. He was whipping the leg around like nothing. So ROM looks pretty good so far. No pains while he was manipulating it. X-ray looks awesome, see next post.

I had a list of questions and articles I had researched to discuss. We covered Stress Shielding and Wolff’s Law of Bone. The new device is embedding well and looking strong.

I am released to walk, walk, walk!!! I can get in the pool, use the elliptical and ride a stationary bike at the gym!! Have to wait a couple weeks to sit in the saddle of the real bike.

Now for some cool educational type stuff for the audience, please check out the next post.

• Like Like x 4
  13. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

Wolff's Law of Bone. Bones will adapt to new stresses and loads placed upon them. This means when the OS shoves the stem in our femurs, that bone will adapt to the different stresses and weight bearing points, etc with the addition of the device. Wolff's Law also works in people without joint replacements. One of the best examples of this is tennis players. The bones in the racket holding arm of tennis players are usually stronger than the other arm due to the high stresses placed on them.

For us with joint replacements, the femur has to adjust to the stem now taking the brunt of the stress and downward force. If you look at the yellow circles in the two images below, you can see the sides of the bone bulge out just a bit. That bulge is actually where the end of the old stem was!

Pay close attention to the 6.3.19 picture. You can see that the bulge has actually lessened. So in just 6 weeks, my femur is adapting to the new stem and recovering from the stress of the old, short stem.

I threw in today's Left hip just to please myself. There is plenty of room and no signs of arthritis. YAY!!!

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 5
  14. Layla

Wow, you did get ahead of yourself! Actually over a week ahead, lol. It sounds like you had a really productive visit with the PA today, which is always reassuring. The educational post above is very interesting. Thanks for sharing. It sounds like you're on your way. Please proceed with caution, you've been so good lately I'd hate to see you botch it up. I hope you have a wonderful week...stay in touch.
    @inthebeginning

• Like Like x 3
  15. Mojo333

Yep, that bone needs weight on it.
    Some more info by our nurse director.
    More is not always better...everything in moderation.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

@Mojo333 I had searched BS for ‘stress shielding’ as well as ‘wolff’s law’, didn’t find a bunch, but did see that post.

I noticed something in one of the last pictures of my first device the other day. Made me think of @Aditi and her bone shelf. Certainly looks like a bit of extra bone at the bottom of the stem?

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

Day 43.
    Up at 0245 for a drive to the airport this morning. Wife and daughter are flying to Chicago to visit MIL and Step-FIL for a couple days. She’s 88 and had a stroke a few years ago. She’s actually been doing fairly well all things considered. He is a few years younger but was just diagnosed with liver cancer. He is having Radioembolization later this week. That’s the treatment where they inject radiation beads into the liver via the hepatic artery.

Meanwhile, my son and his high school basketball team are in a 3 day tournament up at the University of Northern Colorado starting Thursday. I have volunteered to drive a couple of boys in addition to my son. This will be a great test for the hip as it it about a 1:15 hour drive. Again, my work includes driving around the airport most of the time I am on duty. I can usually stop and get out to stretch if I have to but still there are times when I may be in the seat for a couple of hours!

Other than that, going to hit the gym today! Do some laps on the pool and see how many miles I can get on the elliptical!

Cheers!

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Mojo333

:swoon:

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. inthebeginning

inthebeginning graduate

Took a vid of me going up and down the stairs. Just a little hitch to the right on the way up. Actually even ‘jogged’ the last couple of steps! Coming down is a blast.

There may be a picture of a couple of cute kids too. :angel:

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Layla

Awesome! Look at you go. Not a video though...
    Those are very cute kids!
    Good luck on the drive today. Let us know how you handled it. Consider bringing ice packs and cooler...it helps.
    Happy Thursday :)
    @inthebeginning

• Like Like x 2