Guest viewing is limited

TKR Another NewKnee Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow Gman, did it hurt to be on your knees? I haven't tried it yet, I thought we weren't suppose to kneel for awhile yet. Not sure what the rules are. But good for you and yay on the no pain medication. You must not have much other arthritis.
 
It wasn't really comfortable, but it didn't really hurt. Front of the knee is still kinda numb. I can't say that I recall being told NOT to get on my knees, just figured it was common sense. If it didn't bend that much, don't kneel on it. I tried down on 1 knee first, but then I needed to reach further, so the right knee went down. I reversed the process to get up. Operated knee came back to the 90, foot flat on the floor, leaned on the quad, and up I came. Now I did go to the physio pool after the ceremony, and did my regular workout. Feeling a little sore and tired right now, but it is a good sore if you know what I mean. Not in a 50 shades kinda way:blush: , but in a fatigued kinda way! I guess I can ask my OS Tuesday if he has any reservations about me getting on the knee yet. I'll let you know what he says.
 
Now Gman, what I want to know is if this big semi driving man actually read Fifty Shades of Grey.....................
 
Gman, great little milestone!, it's these things that move us towards not just feeling but being normal!
 
Way to go Gman! You've had a lot of progress. That is great. Pretty neat that your grandson wanted you at the ceremony. It sounds like things are getting back to normal, work, health, life. Good job!:flwrysmile:
 
Well......... Just got back from the OS. Asked him about the kneeling issue. His concern, was that if we spend too much time on our new knees, that since the metal prosthetics are substancially harder than the newly dressed back side of the patella, we run the risk of damaging the patella. He suggests that if we have to kneel, we can do so for brief periods and then get up for the first 6 to 9 months. After that, it shouldn't be an issue. In his words, ¨It's your knee. I fixed it once, you mess it up, I can fix it again! --ONCE!¨ So........ with that in mind, and the memory of this recovery fresh in my little mind, I think I will be staying off it as much as I can. OS also said that the knee looked good, was still slightly swollen, that may stay for about another 3 to 4 months. But I was good to go back to work with another couple of weeks of physio. So. I will be back behind the big wheels for Dec. 1, 2012. 15 weeks after surgery.:tada:

When I first heard of 50 Shades, I thought it was the history of Dentistry in the UK!! I just figured it was valid research to try and understand the female mind......:loll: Think I got in trouble once before when I commented about women losing their voices due to medication:heehee:
 
gman, glad you got the go ahead from your doc. No reason to kneel anyway is there. The only time I ever had to kneel was when I was raised Catholic and had to go to church, and when I was naughty as a kid, my mom use to make me and my siblings all kneel in separate corners. I still remember all 5 of us kneeling in the corner. Can't remember what we did though. So unless you are going to get down on one knee to propose, I don't see too many reasons that you would have to kneel.
 
I was also raised Catholic. However these days I prefer to say that RC stands for Recovering Catholic. Being schooled by the "Good Hoods", I too remember kneeling as a form or discipline. I also remember dodging yard sticks, pointers, and those Rosaries that they kept around their waists and used like "numchucks". Laser accurate chalk. But I am getting off on a tangent. Oooo, bad memories! As for getting down on one knee, and asking for someone's hand..... I like to think of myself as an intellegent man, that can learn from his mistakes. I won't be making that particular one ever again!!!!
 
skigirl ... Kelly, I figured you might be the one to ask... I have just spent the last 2 1/2 hours outside putting up Xmas lights. No snow here yet, but I wanted to put them up before it got too cold. The outside temperature is about 26*. My knee feels ...thick... for the lack of better discription. Like cold hydraulics. Now I know there is no hydraulics in there, but..... Is this normal? Is it just something I will have to get used to when it gets cold?
 
Some people talk that their knee gets "cold" and they sometimes will put a neoprene sleeve or something like that on their knee. I have never noticed that--but, I wear long underwear and insulated ski pants when I am out in the cold most of the time. I think that your knee might have gotton a little swollen from being up and down as you hung the lights and that is more likely the cause of the feeling you had. You will experience some swelling for up to six months and the more active you are the more likely you will have some swelling. I don't thing that the cold will affect your knee that much---after all there is a lot of fat and muscle surrounding that metal, plus your own body heat. Your knee cannot be colder than your body temperature. Remember that this too shall pass!!

By the way, I can remember getting bonked on the top of my head by the "wedding ring" the nuns all wore!!! My aunt is a nun and once some missionaries came up to her at a park. She told them that she knew more about Jesus than they ever would since she was married to him!

And gman, my youngest son is also a long distance truck driver. Kelly
 
skigirl Well Kelly, thanks for the feedback. Back before my TKR, I used to wear a DonJoy Stabilizer brace, which was basically a neoprene sleeve with a couple of removeable steel hinges on each side. Guess I could just remove the hinges, and use that to keep my knee warm. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Yes, the Good Sisters all had an effect on all of us that have had the experience..... I'll just leave it at that. At least we can look back and laugh:angel:!

Pass along "Good Numbers" to your youngest. Tell him "Drive Fast, Take Chances". Like we all do....
 
To all remembering the GOOD SISTERS,
I had 12 full years of them, First St. Josephs and then Sisters of Noter Dame, went from bad to worse.
 
When I initially went in for my RTKR, I was told I was looking at a 6 - 8 week recovery. Well here it is 3 months to the day, 13 weeks, 1 day, and I finally think I am ready to go back to work. I left the Physio Pool this afternoon with a measured ROM of 0 (full extension) to 118. I can touch the arch of my right foot to the inside of my left knee. Like a lot of us, I started off doing the heel pumps, and ankle slides and leg raises. I had good days and bad nights. The first 6 weeks, I had to rely on the goodness of friends and neighbours to drive me in my own vehicle, as I sat sideways across the back seat to and from my physio. Once I had sufficient bend that I could drive myself, I started with another PT Centre that had a pool. The aquatic therapy has improved my recovery exponentially. I have been in the water 2 -3 times a week for the last 7 weeks. I have learned a lot in this past 13 weeks. A lot has been learned from this forum. Jacky48, you told me what seems like so long ago, that in order to get though this I would need "Patience, Grasshopper, Patience". Well, I haven't always been the most patient patient! And as a result, it usually came back to bite me in the ........knee! Debbie_joints right from the start you were only a few days ahead of me, so I looked to your posts to see what I had to look forward to. Never did get to swinging from the ceiling, but the windows DID get done. The xmas lights are up, and the outside yard work got done. To all those whose posts I have read...... Thank you, you have all contributed a part in my recovery. And to all those who have still to reach your goals, I wish you the best of luck. I am going to go back to work again tomorrow. Driving TractorTrailers back and forth across the continent. Not sure when I will check back in to this forum, but rest assured, I will from time to time. But for now. I wish each and every one of you all the best, and continued success in your own recoveries.
G
 
gman,
Congrats on the great recovery. Wonderful that you will be going back to work but we sure will miss you. Please drop in when you can and just say hello, and let us know how you are doing.
Good luck.
 
Awww gman, you can't leave us. Don't you have something to have internet connection while on the road. I would think that is a must for truckers. Anyway, you take care and be careful out on the road with that big rig. Maybe we will see you on our travels out west. In Jan, we will take off for AZ, so if you see a big tan Discovery with a trailer with a silver Scion and a red Polaris razor on the back, make sure you wave, that will be us. Oh, also, just because you had a bad first marriage, you are young, only 54, keep your eyes open and don't put up that big bad wall around yourself to protect you. Not all woman are bad. Good luck, and poke your head in here often.
 
Alllll righty then...... Been back to work for about a month now, figured I better check in as instructed above!!! First week was a couple of trips. Cinncinnati, and Buffalo... no big deal, but a good first week. Second week was a quick trip to Chicago and back. Now our yard is based 2 hours west of Montreal, and 4 hours east of Toronto. Every pick up I make has to return to Canada. Usually to either Montreal, Toronto, or Ottawa. The last couple of weeks, I have been stuck in NewEngland. VT, MA, CT, RI, CT, CT, oh..... did I mention CT? NewEngland is a nice place, but a lot of it is not real Truck Friendly if you can imagine what I mean...... tiny little roads, low bridges, and 1 way streets..... After Christmas, I was on my 3rd trip through Boston, when I got a call to bring this load I just picked up and was heading to Toronto with, back to our yard and head West..... West??? Yes, WEST!!!! All the more reason to check in.... Sitting here in a truck stop in Southern WI. Just south of Madison, WI. Have to be in MN sometime Thursday...... Hmmmm..... Who do I know in WI????

All that being said, knee is holding up great. Probably the healthiest part of me right now. I can climb up in and out of the truck and trailer with no issues.
 
Aha--you must be at the Road Ranger in Stoughton. Coffee's not bad and the gas is the cheapest I've seen this side of Indiana. It's where I tank up on the way home from Madison.
 
No, actually at a Pilot in Beloit, WI. Hey Diva what happened to all your snow. Came through Chicago a few hours ago, and you had a whole lot more a couple of weeks ago....
 
Glad you checked in Gman. Oh so close, I am about 30 minutes northwest of Madison. Good to hear you are doing so well too. At least no big snows for you to deal with right now.
 
Well, I'll be heading out of here tomorrow morning, continuing up 39 til it turns into 94 to take me across to St Paul. Then I have to come back to a place called Chetek to pick something up to take back to Kingston, ON
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom