TKR Another NewKnee Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gman, I am just a few days ahead of you, 5 weeks today. I have been without a cane since right before 4 weeks and my mailbox is 350 feet from the house. You will maybe be surprised this week like I was between 4 and 5 weeks how much progress you can make. I finally could ride my recumbent bike. Did two 20 minutes rounds yesterday. I walked for a half hour the other day too. Too windy yesterday, so just did inside stuff. So keep it up, it will come.
 
Thanks for the encouragement Debbie.... Being a week ahead, you always seem to give me something to look forward to! I can only get half rotations on my bike, but like you say..... It will come.

As a long distance trucker, I often delivered to Chicago, and picked up in Wisconsin to return to Canada either via Detroit or the Soo, depending on how far north I had to go in WI. It is a pretty part of the country. Leaves have started to change here in Eastern Ontario, and we had frost this morning. Guess that white stuff can't be far behind. Gee..... Maybe leg will be too sore and I won't be able to go back to work 'till spring!!!
 
" I just have to concentrate on bending my toes, foot, ankle and knee with every step."
That's the best PT!
 
Well..... Just like you all said. The time has arrived. 49 days after surgery, I have managed to wedge myself into the truck and drive again!!!! Now, I have to put the seat all the way back, and recline it somewhat to manage to get my right foot on the accelerator, but once it is there, I can bring the seat back up into its normal position, and drive. Driving does not seem to be the issue, it is just the gymnastics required to get in and out! It feels so good to have a little bit of independence back and not have to rely on the good nature of friends and neighbours to chauffeur me around. Still have some pains at night, can only manage about 2-3 hours of uninterupted sleep. I have used up the last of my Hydromorphone, and am only using extra-strength Tylenol as required. I am sure that sleep will eventually come too. ROM is difficult seem to be stuck at 97, but I am going to try a new PT this afternoon and see how it goes from there.
 
Gman, you are coming along really well, and yes driving again does make you feel somewhat human again! Good for you!
Keep on truck'n kiddo, it will get better each time!:thumb:

Stay well and stay positive, good things have yet to come!:friends:
 
Gman, you are just a few days behind me and I was stuck around 100 or less for a few weeks too and my therapist gave up and said MUA, so I switched therapists and this one said give me a month and she is a much more hands on person, deep tissue massage and that seems to be working. I am up to 106 now and hope to get more. Hope you have better luck with your new therapist. Wondering, did your first therapist rely on repetitious moves and no hands on?
 
There is also a link in the library section here at Bone Smart showing the actual surgery. I found it fascinating.
 
New PT has said just about the same thing. They used moist heat to relax my quads and hamstrings, while at the same time running IFC current through the knee. That was followed by a wonderful deep massage, where I was told that she could feel everything breaking down and loosening up. My kneecap was then manipulated and stretched. Lots of hands on work. A LOT different than the last 4 weeks. And you know? It felt good. The 3 hr session was concluded with acupuncture and ice. She wants me back for more on Thursday, and then into the pool on Friday. I think this treatment will be a lot better than the last 4 weeks of leg raises and heel slides. Think my CryoCuff is calling me..... Maybe a couple of Tylenols just for good measure....
 
Maybe I am a bit impatient, but I hope that that great end comes soon.
 
Gman, you must had your surgery 8/20 and no more pain meds? Your choice or theirs? Seems soon for that to end. I also still can't sleep. Just went back to work today but just part time. Maybe that will help me sleep more than a few hours...
 
gman, that new PT sound wonderful, I bet you will get much better results from that. I will be watching/reading your reports.
 
gman,
I will reinforce what Jack says patience. You are not even 2 months out and this healing process take up to 1 year or more. All I can say is sit back and enjoy the ride.
 
Pain meds were becoming more of a hassle than I felt they were worth. I was getting frustrated having to call my GP or pharmacist every 2 weeks to renew the hydromorphone and answer a bunch of annoying questions about my frame of mind, so I just decided that I could get by on the CryoCuff and the off the shelf extra strength Tylenol. Last night was a little rough after the intense physio yesterday, but I got up around 2, had a little walk around the house, made a cup of tea, strapped on the fresh Cuff, and went back to bed. None the worse for ware, got up around 8, after my exercise routine, have had breakfast, along with a couple of Tylenols, and am heading for the big chair with the Cuff..... I'll do some more exercises after lunch, and may attempt some yard work............ or not!
 
Just came home from another round of PT -- this time in the pool for the first time. Lastnight was pretty rough, after yesterday's regular PT session. Stretches were pretty extreme, but I think I am making more progress than I would have merely doing the regular exercises. Woke up this morning again around 2 in pretty intense pain. I had thoughts of reaching for the hydromorphone, but I got up had a walk around the house again and went back to bed with the CryoCuff. Going into the pool this morning felt great! Started off CYCLING for the first time doing full revolutions! Followed by toe raises, assorted stretches, walked laps and finally step work. Bouyancy of the warm water certainly takes the weight off, makes the knee feel good, and makes things easier. Back to play some more next week. Bit by bit I thnk I have turned a corner......
 
Interesting post here. I'm learning a lot as I read and so I can respect what is to come for me. I was wondering about the pool, how long after my staples are out can i go in the pool? Is it a good thing or not? Just wondering?
 
Redbird, I can only speak for myself. I had my staples removed after 2 weeks. In my opinion, I can see no reason why after the incision has healed, and the wounds from the staples are clean and healed, (to eliminate any possibility of infection) you could not use a pool, as long as you could support yourself. The warm water warms and relaxes the muscles, and the bouyancy of the water takes most of your weight away. I had 4 weeks of outpatient physio where I did nothing but exercises and stretches. As soon as I achieved sufficient flexibility to drive, I changed to a PT facility that could offer the services that I thought would be more beneficial to me.

After my initial pool workout, I was feeling pretty good. Maybe a little too good, and might have overdone things on Friday afternoon. I continued to do my home exercises, pushing myself for more flexibility, more weight, more endurance. I paid the price. Friday night was awful. Aworke just about every hour and a half, got up for a walk, cup of tea, and back to bed with ice. Saturday, I continued with the exercises, but dialed things back a bit. Saturday night was another nightmare. This time, I had to give in to the hydromorpone. Took 2 packed my knee in my CryoCuff, and managed to get a good 5 hours before the phone rang. Hoping that the hydromorphone will be a 1 time thing, I am back to the extra strenth Tylenols every 6 hours (faithfully like clockwork). Hopefully I will be back on track. Back to PT on Tuesday, and pool on Wednesday......... See how that goes.
 
Gman0358, thank you for your infomation it means a lot to me. I have a pool and hot tub as well, I was hoping this will help me as well as my other exercises! I am so happy today I did an actual leg lift on my own.:happydance:I feel like i'm a little slow on some things but I'm letting my knee tell me when to stop! I did 5 leg lifts today and yesterday I could do none! I do my exercises faithfully. I take tylenol during the day and percocet at night. I'm not sure when I should try to go without the percocet. I geuss I will have to get brave some nite and try it but for now I love my sleep and three nights in a row! How lucky can one person get:egypdance:
 
Sticking to the Tylenols every 6 hours by setting my watch alarm seems to be keeping the pain under control. Haven't had to give in to the hydromorphone in 3 days! Exercises and stretches work better when the muscles are warm. As it turned out yesterday, my new physio-terrorist was on the table next to me! Turns out she pulled a calf muscle over the weekend! (Heh, heh, heh) Payback can be sweet!! I jumped at the offer when one of the masseuses(sp?) asked me if I wanted to help her out!! (I do also have a background of kinesiology) So, I let her know that she was in good hands. We seem to have a whole new respect for each other. I had pool workout this morning and she took me aside on my way out and told me that her leg had never felt better. The clinic has a membership program, where members can use the pool and gym whenever either is not being used by the therapists with patients. So, I think that I am going to take advantage of this. Just keeping the knee moving and challenging it a little bit more every day seems to be doing the trick. Still not quite to the point that I can climb into my transport truck, let alone apply the brakes -- yet!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom