Guest viewing is limited

TKR Another NewKnee Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gman---we spent a couple of weeks in Maine and I felt like I was living in a little, train village under the tree!!! Everything was so full of stuff---and the streets were so little. When we came back to Montana, I felt like I could draw a breath again, I had room to move.

We were in NYC on the same trip--and we noticed people would walk right beside us---which really made me nervous. And, in the Museum of Modern Art---people would actually stand next to me and TOUCHED my body---I almost fainted!!!

I have a very large territory that I regard as my space! I will give up culture--especially since we cannot stand the crowds and take space. The other night we went to see Lincoln and there was a line of 10 people at the theater---my husband said, let's come back another night, I don't want to stand in a line to see a movie!!
 
Kelly --- I know EXACTLY what you mean. Give me the open road to let me run. The local drivers can have the cities.
 
Wow!!!! It is February aready? Guess maybe I should see about changing the name of this thread to "Not a NewKnee Newbie Anymore" It has been 6 months since my RTKR. I have been back to work for about 2 1/2 months now, and can honestly say I have pretty much forgotten about what it was like to have to limp with every step. In fact if I am favoring either leg, it is sometimes the LEFT.

As some of you may know, I am a long haul truck driver. I have rigged up my truck to enable me to exercise when I stop. I bought a small cycling machine, that I can sit on my bunk, and peddle, I put it up on my steering wheel to peddle with my arms. I have put a chin bar up that I use, and stand on the top step of the truck, and squat flexing my operated leg down as far as I can as often as I can. I can move my cooler to between the seats, sit on it, and have resistance bands tied to the inside door handles. I use the side of the truck as a piece of gym apparatus, and continue to make progress. I was driving along a week or so ago, and noticed that my right leg, was at a rather acute angle almost under me. The truck was in "cruise", so I wasn't really aware. This morning, I went into my PT clinic, and had my ROM measured. 0 to 130* Exactly what it was prior to surgery.

My Therapist also looked at the rest of my leg and took some measurements. My Quads are starting to show definition again. Measured at 27" and 20" calves, she said that my flex will probably not get any better due to the muscle mass!

So there you go...... There IS light at the end of those tunnels. You will have some rough days and certainly nights, but we will get better.
 
Way to go gman, glad everything is going well for you. Really like how you set up your rig so you can work out. One thing truck drivers have problems with is being able to stay active. good going there.
 
Gman, I followed your thread a bit back in November, after I first joined the bonesmart forum. I was delighted to see an email from bonesmart in my inbox today ... I had been thinking that it has been a veerrrry long time since I posted anything, so your post was welcome and a reminder to me to check in and see how folks are doing.

It is so good to hear of your wonderful progress. And very cool how you "rigged your rig" for exercise! I really appreciate your comment about "light at the end of the tunnel." I can't believe how far I have come in my own rehab in four months.

Congratulations to you!
 
[Bonesmart.org] Another NewKnee Newbie
what a GREAT update! So happy that you are doing so well. And very inventive creating a mini-rehab center in the cab of your truck!

Keep on truckin' and keep us posted. We care.
[Bonesmart.org] Another NewKnee Newbie
 
BTW, gman0358, I can change the title of your thread if you want a change. Just let me know what you want to replace the current one with.
 
Congratulations gman---that is a wonderful success story. Thanks for posting it.:yay:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

  • Roy Gardiner
    Staff member since February, 23, 2013
  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom