Guest viewing is limited

TKR Another NewKnee Newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy cow gman, and here everyone was getting after me for just washing my windows. Sounds like you were trying to do a self MUA. Bet you did release some scar tissue there. Make sure and use that CryoCuff a lot in the next few days.
 
Gman, we all learn from one another. Hope you are doingbeter today! I finally got in our spa yesterday it felt great !:SUNsmile: I was surprised at all the exercises i could do but because i listned to you gman iwas very careful and did not over do! :thankyou:Here,s hoping you have a great
Sunday.
 
Just got home from my GP appointment where we discussed my blood work prior to my going back to work. The man looked at the paper, says your chlorestoral seems good.... bit low, but that's good. No traces of the narcotics. Protine is good. And now for the kicker..... Sugar is within the normal range!!!! I have managed to kick the Diabetes too!! He even measured my ROM at 115 and asked when I wanted to get the left one done. I told him to put that file away, we could discuss that in a couple of years. I have to meet with my OS in about a week and a half. So we will see what he has to say. Maybe back to work for Dec. 1...... Not bad. I was only a month off...
 
gman, way to go:yay: for the good numbers and no more diabetes. Were you on medication or shots before or just had to watch your diet? Your ROM is doing well. I am stuck and depressed. My brother had both his knees done at once, like many here did, just for that reason. He was afraid if he had one done, he wouldn't want to go through it again. Just like childbirth, at first you swear you will never have another child again, but they are so sweet and so loved, you want another one soon.
 
Doc advised me in January that at 376lbs, I was "Pre-Diabetic" and suggested I try to lose some weight before we try medication to control it. I cut out the pop, reduced my sugar intake, and tried to get more active. This was a problem with the bad knees. Thats when I started to press to get my knees fixed, so I could get more active to lose weight. Being off work for the last 2 months has been easier to eat regular meals at regular times. Once I get back to work again, I am going to have to make more of an effort to continue to eat right, more regularily and maintain some level of exercise.
 
gman, sounds like you are doing all the right things to get healthy and maintain that new knee.
Good for you!
 
Gman0358, Your doing GREAT:yay: I'm also pre diabetic, while in the hospital for the knee my blood sugar shot up to 255 of course they gave me insulin. I take a 500mg metformin, once a day which controls my sugar. I can actually say that I feel much better now that I have had my knee done. I'm hoping that when I see my Doctor on Nov 15th he will let me go back to work. I feel great now, riding the stationary bike for two ten minutes intervals and doing my exercising every day twice a day and have a ROM 115. I must say I'm very thankful that I found this site and everyone in here has been so supportive.:thankyou:Not looking forward to having the other knee done but I know it needs it. I just want to it to wait until after my first grandchild is born in February and then I will get it done! I just wanted you to know that I am happy for you! Be careful out on the road!
 
Yeah for you Gman!! Sounds like you've really been hard at work and it's paying off. Keep up the good work and stay healthy!!
 
Hi gman - I very much enjoy reading about your progress. I like knowing how other Ontarians are coping and you seem to be doing well. I had a TLKR done on October 24th and have had hardly any pain to speak of. My OS gave me 40 Oxycoden which I only need at night; the ES Tylenol takes care of any issues I have during the day. I was lucky not to have any visible swelling or bruising, but I guess there is internal swelling as the bending exercises are so difficult. My region provides 7 home visits from a PT and she has given me 5 exercises to do 3x per day. The heel slides and anything involving the quad is hard. However, I know it's early days, so I continue to be optimistic, especially as the right knee will be replaced next April. And I've graduated from the walker to the cane. Because my right knee is in bad shape, I don't feel super secure yet and will use the crutches whenever I get outside - staples come out tomorrow!

Eventually I hope to find some out-patient therapy that provides what you are getting. I really like the sound of the tissue massage, etc.

Best of luck in getting back to work - I hope to be at that stage by mid-December.
 
tubtickler - sounds like you are doing fantastically well!!! Good for you!
 
HI Gman~Seems like we are all anxious to get back to normal and it just can't come soon enough. When I read others' posts I think, oh they just need to relax...it will come in time. But when I am thinking about myself...I feel like I should or could be doing so much better. I moved my car around in my driveway yesterday to see how that was. It was fine until I had to get back out. A little tricky. I was told that when you are considering driving again you are supposed to picture a small child right in front of your car....could you react quickly enough, with enough force on your brake pedal to avoid hitting the child? My doc gave me 2 different handouts, one says 4 weeks, the other says 6 weeks. Also on one of the handouts it says the patient should be able to walk 4 BLOCKS by week 3-4. Oh and return to light WORK duty. My PT said NO ONE can do that. These guys ought to read the stuff their nurses handout to the patient. OKay got off track but I sure sympathize with you! But sounds like you are progressing well!
 
tubtickler OUCH!!! I remember all too well when I got my staples out.... Like 38 little bee stings.... Yes, I counted them as they were removed, so I knew how many were left! Best of luck.

brownie51.. I remember the first time I managed to get back behind the wheel... It took the longest time for me to get the right bend to get my foot on the gas pedal. I tried shufflling the truck around the laneway too with my cane on the brake!!
 
Wow gman0358, your description was right on - 36 bee stings. I was happy to hear from my GP that it was the best scar she had ever seen but I'm exhausted from this little outing.
 
Hi everyone, I am brand new to your forum. I feel very fortunate to have found you!. Had RTKR on Oct 16. I am appreciating everything that you are sharing, especially about being patient. I have always been very active so this rehab time can be frustrating. I am moving along with flexion (PT measured 100 today), but I am having a hard time with extension (-15 degrees). Has anyone here faced that issue? I am doing a variety of leg extension stretches, along with my flexion work.
 
11 weeks and 2 days after surgery.

I ventured into the truck yard again this morning, and tried on my truck for size. This time I managed to climb up and get in behind the wheel. Seemed to me more room between the wheel and my belly this time!!!! I took it for a few laps round the yard, and got quickly bored of this, so I headed for the gate and the open road. I cruized on down the road to the next town about 25 miles away. This enabled me to work through the gears, get up to speed and see how it felt. It felt pretty good. By the time I got back to the yard, the boss met me with kind of a surprised look on his face. I just told him I wanted to take it for a test drive. He told me I could come back whenever I wanted. I have to meet with the OS next Tuesday and will tell him that I am ready to come back to work. Dispatchers have even given me a choice as to how I want to come back. Local runs, or long hauls. Locals will see me getting in and out more often, but long hauls will see me sitting more. I think I will opt for some local stuff until I build up some more stamina to head on down the line.

Off to PT to play in the pool, and work out the gym equipment a bit. Gotta keep working on that ROM!
 
Way to go Gman, back behind the wheel of the big rig again. You must feel a sense of freedom there. I too would opt for the local runs so you can get use to it and you can get in and out and stretch more. Won't be long.
 
gman, be careful on the road, there are crazies out there. Glad to see you doing so well! I am hoping my doctor will clear me to go back to work too. I see him next week on the 15th. I would like to go back to work by the first of December. Range of motion good, riding bike outside four miles every day. doing strength exercises, just can't get comfortable at night sleeping oh well everything can't be perfect. Good luck to you and please do drive carefully!:yahoo:
 
Another milestone, I thought I should share! My 6 year old grandson called me last night to see if I could attend his Rememberance Day Ceremony at his school today. Of course I said yes. Getting ready this morning, I figured maybe I should dress up a bit since it was at his school. So, for the first time in at least 12 weeks (not sure HOW long I been wearing running shoes, leaving them tied up and just slipping them off and on) I got down on my... yes hands and knees to fish out a pair of leather shoes out of my closet (Yeah.... both knees) and managed to TIE them up. It may not seem like much, but.... Hey, its the first time in 12 weeks that I have started to feel more normal.

And on a side note, I think I have even kicked the Tylenols. Pain levels are now bearable.... more of just an inconvenience now. Just a little reminder of what has passed.

Just thought I'd pass that on....
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom