Guest viewing is limited

TKR AnnYo's Knee Recovery

@AnnYo it's a pleasure having you here.

Onward to your next month of milestones on the way to recovery!
 
@AnnYo, you sent me a message asking about keloids. I thought I would reply here in your recovery thread so others can benefit from the information. My doctor said I have a tendency to keloid but not as much as others can. My scars have been wider than average and started out rather dark pink. My first TKR scar, from 12 years ago now, has faded to white and isn't as visible. It averages about half an inch wide, much wider than many who have thin white pencil lines. My more recent TKR scar from 2-1/2 years ago is still a bit pink (and even a little brown on the edges) but is starting to turn white in the middle. It's the same width as the other scar. Neither scar is bumpy and both are flat.

I really didn't do anything to my scars other than put some vitamin E oil on the first one. I do use a zinc oxide stick on them if I'm going to be in the sun for any length of time. I probably should have done something but didn't.

Here is an article from our library about Keloid scarring.


@Jamie mentions Cimeosil silicone sheets that you might try. My scars were always flat so I'm not sure they would have made much difference for me. It's worth a try though!
 
@Susie-Q thank you so much! I appreciate hearing your story and also the information about the silicone sheets. I've dealt with other keloids but have noticed that as I age they have become less of a problem. An upside of aging! I don't know that my scar will be problematic and am not looking for trouble but there is such good info in this forum that I thought I'd get prepared! Many thanks!
 
It doesn't hurt to be prepared! :santa-dance:
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Happy New Year too. I hope it's one of your best years ever.
Wishing you many blessings in 2024!
@AnnYo
 
Thank you @Layla, for the wishes and for the kind and supportive way you treat everyone on this website!

I am doing well and have had so much more peace of mind than I would have without Bonesmart! That's not to say I don't come with some concern every couple of days, lol, but I use the site for information, reassurance and inspiration. As others have said, sometimes I feel like I'm not making very fast, or sometimes, any progress, and I'll get worried about things still hurting, but then I'll realize that something is much better than it was: speed of walking, lack of buckling, normalizing of sleep (though I think I'm always going to have a bottle of Tylenol PM nearby!)

All in all I am pleased with how things are going. I'm not yet in that "this is so great; I should have done it sooner" stage, but I hope to be someday. Still going to PT twice a week and that has gone well. My husband and I did just decide to take a short trip which involves a very long plane ride. I know that I'll need to get up OFTEN and may get some compression socks. If anyone has any other suggestions, I'm all ears! I'm hoping this isn't a bad decision!

I read back over my thread and I am so grateful for the support and kindness I have received from people I have never met. I know 2 people who are about to have TKRs and I've told both of them to get on here as quick as they can.

Hope everyone has a great week!
 
I did a shortish flight at about 4 months.
I took a foldable walking stick. It was mainly in case I had to stand in a queue for any length of time. I just travelled economy because it was only an hours flight but I would definitely consider paying for extra leg room for longer flights.
 
Thank you @EalingGran! A foldable walking stick is a great idea--I found that using a cane also keeps people in a crowd from jostling you; they are much more solitcitous and give you space. I didn't think about taking anything like that but now I will!
 
Another walking stick fan here (raises hand) - and yes they can really help protect your personal space!!!!
You might bring some ziploc bags and let the flight attendants know you'd very much appreciate a couple of cups of ice.
 
Thank you so much for the kind words!
I believe BoneSmart is / was a blessing for many of us. It is comforting recovering with others in real time and receiving reassurance for many of the little things that crop up sometimes making us anxious as we're healing. You're doing great, Ann!

I will leave some flying tips that, Jamie, from Admin posted some time ago, hopefully you find some helpful. Safe travels and enjoy your getaway! If you have any tips for travel upon your return, please do share for the benefit of others. Take good care!

Jamie's tips -
Given the challenges you still have, it will make the trip more difficult. You'll need to do a lot of pre-planning and take advantage of every break you can.

* Pack light. One medium size bag you can check and a carry-on. Make sure the bag has good, sturdy wheels. Be sure and pack pain medications in your carry on luggage.

* Have someone take you to the airport and pick you up after you're back home. They can drop you at your terminal gate. Find out which airlines have curbside check in. You might want to book with that airline.

* When you book your tickets, ask for handicapped assistance. This should be a wheelchair and a porter to wheel you and your bag. You just sit. The porter will check your bag in for you and take you to the gate. You'll board first and can take the wheelchair all the way down the ramp if needed.

* Try to book an aisle seat so you can stretch out into the aisle if needed.

* Try to book a direct flight so you don't have to change planes. Otherwise you'll need wheelchair assistance at every airport where you must change to another airplane.

* Aboard the plane, ask your flight attendant to make sure you have a wheelchair waiting at the gate when you arrive. Take some zip lock bags and ask the flight attendant for ice to use in flight if that would make you more comfortable.

* Once you arrive and get your wheelchair at the start of the ramp, the porter will take you to pick up your luggage and to whatever point where you'll be picked up (do have someone pick you up at the airport).

Don't go if you think it's going to be too much. Really take stock of how you feel before you decide. I know it's tough and you'd love to go for a visit. Only you know if you're up to it or not. It will be a push for you.
@AnnYo
 
Thank you @mendogal and @Layla --I appreciate the suggestions and will definitely stick some ziplocks in my bag--a simple and ingenious suggestion that didn't cross my mind! The idea of icing on a long flight sounds heavenly.

Maybe I should just use Bonesmart for life hacks in general!:heehee: I will definitely report back on how the travel went. Thank you so much.
 
I’m keeping this list - I will likely be on an all day plane trip next month. Well, really 3 hours, then a layover, then 3 more hours, then a drive…
 
Good Morning Ann,
In catching up here this morning, I was reminded of your flight tomorrow through your post elsewhere.
I want to wish you safe travels, comfort on the long flight and a wonderful time once you reach your destination.

Hope to hear from you once you are back home. Enjoy!
@AnnYo
 
@Layla! What a wonderful surprise! Thank you. I would never have known that I would receive such TLC on a knee surgery forum. I'm flying from Chicago to Hawaii, which is where I was born and grew up. It's a trip I've made countless times but never with a new knee. I've got an aisle seat and plan to get up often to stretch and walk around. I may even wear the Teds that I came home from the hospital with! I will definitely report back when I return in two weeks.

Thank you again for such a thoughtful surprise message. I was very touched!
 
You're welcome and I bet you'll do great! Aisle seat a must!
Relax and enjoy the ride. May it be smooth all the way. :wink:
 
Hello @AnnYo , I'm just reading the thread about your upcoming trip to Hawaii. What fun!! I would definitely recommend compressions socks for both the flight, and as you travel around and are on your feet more than usual. It's been 10ish weeks since my second TKR and I still find compression socks make my knee and legs less tight and tired. I have purchased several pair of nice compression socks that are so much better than the dreadful TEDS they give you after surgery. Safe travels.
 
Thank you @trinket! I think that's great advice--especially since whether I think I'm taking it easy or not, days there will be very different from being home and I think my knees will need all the help they can get. Much appreciated!
 
Hello AnnYo!
I hope your trip back home to Hawaii went well, the flights were smooth and you enjoyed your time there.
It's a special day...Happy Three Month Anniversary! Hopefully you're doing well and have a fabulous rest of the week. Take good care!
@AnnYo
 
Thank you @Layla!! It's so nice to get your wishes!

My trip went really well; I made sure to get up a lot on the plane and it was fine. My husband and I lucked out and had an empty seat between us both ways, which rarely happens, so that made things extra easy. I did wear a one-legged TED support hose on the plane. I knew I saved those hospital hose for a reason! It was a busy 2 weeks and I did a lot--my knee felt pretty strong and sturdy, though I think I have little more pain this last week since I've been home, and things feel stiffer. I go back to PT tomorrow and we will see about that ROM. I know I didn't ice as much as I was routinely doing at home, so maybe that's part of the problem. Even though I always have that squiggly -lined progress cartoon in my mind, it's always a little disconcerting to feel like you have backslid a little, but I guess I just need to reframe that and not think of it that way!

All in all, things are going pretty well. There is definitely still some pain, when doing heel slides and getting up from sitting, but I know I"m only a quarter of the way through the year. In reviewing improvements, I would say that I definitely am not thinking about my knee all the time like I was a few weeks ago. I continue to receive an education and so much inspiration from this forum. Thank you so much!
 
@AnnYo Sounds like you did very well on your trip. No backsliding at all. You were very busy and that new knee had to cope. Well done!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom