Guest viewing is limited

TKR AnnYo's Knee Recovery

would say that I definitely am not thinking about my knee all the time like I was a few weeks ago. I
Glad you had a good trip. Don't worry about having slid back- you obviously coped well with the challenges of travel and that is progress. It is so good to starting to get back to enjoying things again.
Not thinking so much about the knee is also definitely progress. Even tiny amounts of swelling make us aware of our knees- so being able to ignore your knee suggests things are really healing and settling.
 
Hello and Happy Valentines Day! :loveshwr:
Thanks for the update! It seems you're doing really well and its wonderful that you had such a lovely vacation with your new knee feeling strong. It's understandable that after two weeks of ramped up activity, you're feeling as though you've backslidden a bit now that you've returned home and you're able to relax more. We often say here that it doesn't hurt, until you stop. There is truth to that, along with the lavender squiggly line reference. :wink: So hang in there, you'll be back to feeling like you did before you left in no time.
@AnnYo
 
Thank you all for your kind concern--at this vulnerable stage of things, it is much appreciated! I am now 3 1/2 weeks past surgery and this forum has been so reassuring to me in so many ways, as I have small but persistent worries every day! Things are going well, but the strange aches and pains and side effects and anxieties that I have felt and perseverated on have all been made so much better by reading of others' similar experiences and the kindness with which you all reassure each other.

I have a specific question that I've never been able to get much information about so thought I'd ask you experts! I have had typical arthritic symptoms in both knees for years. Have played tennis my whole life and think that probably contributed. For the last few years, in addition to knee pain, I have had a lot of foot pain and some neuropathy in my toes as well. These problems have become just as concerning as my knee and I hesitated to get the TKR at first, because I thought if I couldn't rid myself of the foot pain, I wasn't sure it was worth it to go through it. I had become somewhat knock kneed due to knee issues, and have always wondered if fixing my knee would improve my foot issues. One foot doctor I consulted thought it might but of course could make no guarantees. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with foot issues too and if TKR helped? It's too soon to tell for me. It just seems logical (wishful thinking?) that my gait would be more normal and maybe that would give my feet a break. Would love to hear if anyone else has dealt with foot issues.

Thanks so much--sometimes when I am sleepless at night (a regular occurrence) this forum is where I go for comfort!
Hiya
I have this issue right now. I had a little surgery on my right foot 2yrs ago to get nerve and tendon separated...he cut the tendon, and by now I have "something" on/in the ball of my foot. Feels very hard and numbish...I also have a up and coming hammer toe on my right foot. So, don't know if it is that pull that I am feeling . But, the hardness is starting to hurt to walk. So---I am to get my right knee done in the near future. I see my knee doc for this in March....and also the foot doctor, unfortunately 2 days after the knee doc.......arrrghhh..... I need to get both fixed...Let ya'll know how it is decided...
 
Hi @SheilaE ! I'm so sorry not to have responded --somehow I missed your message. I would love to hear how your knee-foot journey goes! Because knee doctors and foot doctors specialize their work so much, it's somehow left to us to figure out if there is a connection and what it is! My new TKR has not resolved my foot problems YET but I figure that they took a long time to develop so maybe (I hope) they will take a while to resolve too. Thanks for the support! I'm always kind of surprised that there aren't more people with both problems at the same time!
 
have this issue right now. I had a little surgery on my right foot 2yrs ago to get nerve and tendon separated...he cut the tendon, and by now I have "something" on/in the ball of my foot. Feels very hard and numbish
Hi - @SheilaE I am no expert but that sounds maybe like the Morton's neuroma a friend of mine had. It is a thickening of a nerve and he described it just like you say- of having something like a pebble in his shoe. Given your previous surgery though maybe it is something else.
Best get it checked as any foot issue can impact other joints.
 
Hello Everyone--Just thought I'd throw this question out there, since there are so many of you on here who have dealt with long term knee pain! I have had good success in the past with cortisone injections and wondered if anyone had experience with Zilretta, which is an extended-release steroid? I found a couple of references to it in some old threads but just wondered if anyone had any feedback. At some point I will probably need an injection on my non-surgical knee and was just wondering if I should explore this or not. Thanks!
 
Hi!
I have no experience with this sustained release formulation; however, the active medication is triamcinolone. So if you have had a good response to triamcinolone in the past, you should have similar good response with Zilretta. Your doc will know which of the commonly used steroids you had before.
 
Thank you @mendogal ! That's a good point about comparing the actual ingredients, because although I would love something that is longer acting, I was hesitant to make a switch from what has worked for me before. It's not that great having cortisone at all, so you definitely don't want to waste one! Always appreciate your insights and common sense.
 
I have had 2 injections of Zilretta - The results are amazing, (and I feel like a new person afterward), although not as long lasting as I hoped/expected. It does last longer than traditional cortisone. I had one injection in July of 2023 and the second, January of 2024. I just had a cortisone shot and will get the next Zilretta shot when the cortisone has run its course. I had to have cortisone shots between. I understand cortisone is not an ideal fix, but when the pain is unbearable, we do what is necessary. I had a very rough recovery with my right TKR and I am trying to buy time with the left knee.
 
I have had 2 injections of Zilretta - The results are amazing, (and I feel like a new person afterward), although not as long lasting as I hoped/expected. It does last longer than traditional cortisone. I had one injection in July of 2023 and the second, January of 2024. I just had a cortisone shot and will get the next Zilretta shot when the cortisone has run its course. I had to have cortisone shots between. I understand cortisone is not an ideal fix, but when the pain is unbearable, we do what is necessary. I had a very rough recovery with my right TKR and I am trying to buy time with the left knee.
They are the same exact family of drugs - corticosteroids - so in terms of their side effects on bone, soft tissue, etc they are identical.
 
Thank you both @TKRsharon and @mendogal --I appreciate the input on Zilretta--haven't tried it yet. The doctor I get my cortisone shots from doesn't use Zilretta and I don't know the reason why, but I just found out that the doctor who replaced my knee does give Zilretta shots. I also am trying to buy as much time as I can with the other knee. Thanks again!
 
I also am trying to buy as much time as I can with the other knee.
I certainly understand this. I feel the same way. Unfortunately, the longer we wait to replace the knee, the worse that knee is going to be, not to mention, we will be older.
 
Logically, I totally understand this. But, the other part of my brain is so apprehensive and afraid. Also, I am not retired yet and do not want to take the time off to recover. I think that put a lot of pressure on me last time along with a very rough recovery - I missed much more work than anticipated. It's a crazy volley in my head all the time, especially when the pain is unbearable.
 
I've been lurking around trying to read old posts, looking to solve my problem myself and I came across something someone wrote recently saying that all the people on this forum had surgery so recently--where were the people who had it months ago? Ha-- here I am.

I had a TKR last November and, in general, I think I've done okay, though I have yet to meet my goal of playing tennis again. About a month and a half ago I was experiencing increased pain and contacted my surgeon's PA, who told me I could come in, but suggested that I first go get bloodwork done. Results were fine, I was reassured, and I went back to icing and being a little more careful of rest etc. and things improved somewhat. I decided I didn't need to see the surgeon and I was happy with that.

This week my pain has increased again and now I have been having slight buckling throughout the day. I can compensate for it but that is not something I dealt with very much, even in the early stages of recovery from surgery. I have always felt that although I had some pain, the knee always felt strong and stable.

Sometimes I have a hard time finding that sweet spot between doing too much and doing too little.

Can buckling be caused by having pain and inflammation in the knee? I know quad weakness is a factor, but why would this start at 7 months? I have been trying to think about what I may have done to aggravate something. I have been doing yard work--planting and weeding and trimming, but I am pretty careful about how much I do at a time and it's hard for me to believe that could be the cause. I am not very hardcore and I take a lot of breaks!

One of the most comforting things I have learned on this website is to keep that squiggly lined drawing of what actual recovery looks like in my head. I guess what I'm asking is if buckling, like symptoms of pain, stiffness and swelling, can be attributed to the normal ups and downs of that year long recovery we hear about?
 
Buckling can have a variety of causes, yes, including quad weakness. Inflammation isn't a cause of instability.

As it has come on suddenly and you've had an activity level indicating improving quad strength, I suggest you call your ortho practice in the morning as they may want to see you again.
 
Thank you all for your kind concern--at this vulnerable stage of things, it is much appreciated! I am now 3 1/2 weeks past surgery and this forum has been so reassuring to me in so many ways, as I have small but persistent worries every day! Things are going well, but the strange aches and pains and side effects and anxieties that I have felt and perseverated on have all been made so much better by reading of others' similar experiences and the kindness with which you all reassure each other.

I have a specific question that I've never been able to get much information about so thought I'd ask you experts! I have had typical arthritic symptoms in both knees for years. Have played tennis my whole life and think that probably contributed. For the last few years, in addition to knee pain, I have had a lot of foot pain and some neuropathy in my toes as well. These problems have become just as concerning as my knee and I hesitated to get the TKR at first, because I thought if I couldn't rid myself of the foot pain, I wasn't sure it was worth it to go through it. I had become somewhat knock kneed due to knee issues, and have always wondered if fixing my knee would improve my foot issues. One foot doctor I consulted thought it might but of course could make no guarantees. Wondering if anyone else has dealt with foot issues too and if TKR helped? It's too soon to tell for me. It just seems logical (wishful thinking?) that my gait would be more normal and maybe that would give my feet a break. Would love to hear if anyone else has dealt with foot issues.

Thanks so much--sometimes when I am sleepless at night (a regular occurrence) this forum is where I go for comfort!
Hi AnnYo...I have neuropathy in my right foot. Had some nerve and tendons cut under my toes. Sometimes it is uncomfortable, but always feels like a worn piece of leather on the inside of the ball of my foot. I did go to my Podietrist to make sure all was good to do my knee. He said there would be no problem. I did the RTKR and have no issues at all with the foot-knee combo...still have they annoying piece of leather (lol) but no biggy
 
How nice of you to reposed to that post @SheilaE. Glad you are doing well. Yes, you describe it well--uncomfortable and annoying! It's nothing I can't live with--I just don't want it to get any worse and become really painful but so far it's okay. Are you glad you got your knees done 6 months apart?I'm a little envious of that!
 
@AnnYo - how did you do over the weekend? Any buckling or have things stabilized?
 
How nice of you to reposed to that post @SheilaE. Glad you are doing well. Yes, you describe it well--uncomfortable and annoying! It's nothing I can't live with--I just don't want it to get any worse and become really painful but so far it's okay. Are you glad you got your knees done 6 months apart?I'm a little envious of that!
I am very very glad I did my second knee. I have been a big walker, and I just couldn't do it anymore. I guess it kinda takes a year out of your life--like, can't go to Europe like I desperately want...but that will come. I was nervous, but they let me do a lot of PT cuz I really wanted to build up the bad leg for recuperation. It worked!! Also, the two knees were just different I guess...lol. Anyway, now they are done, and the rest of my body seems in pretty good shape...so I am DONE....lol. lots of PT to go tho.
 
Good for you @SheilaE --glad your surgery is all behind you and that you're doing well, and smart of you to do that pre-hab!

@mendogal, just about the time I was going to take your advice and call my OS office, my lower back, for the first time in my life, began to give me a little sciatica-type pain! :sad: I'm a little dejected, but on th other hand, it kind of makes me think that maybe whatever I did that made my back bad could also be a culprit in my knee pain. The buckling seems a tiny bit better or it could be wishful thinking. The knee doesn't feel great but it's not any worse and I just decided to hold off calling for a few days and see what happens. I feel like I sound like a kooky hypochondriac (so mainly I just whine and carry on to my husband, lol) but I really appreciate you checking in with me. Currently I'm trying to figure out ways to still keep moving and get some exercise while not aggravating the things that hurt and let them calm down. Thanks for asking--it means a lot!
 

Members online

Back
Top Bottom