• RATE YOUR SURGEON ON OUR NEW JOINT SURGEON LOCATOR

Your opinion matters so please click on this announcement to find out how to rate the surgeons you have worked with

You could also go to the Surgeon Locator via the blue nav bar at the top - find the tab "Surgeon Locator"

Watch 2019 JRAD Videos

THR Anniec19's New Hip Story

OP
OP
Anniec19

Anniec19

Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Well after a great few days guess who's got too cocky ??
Trying to walk with one crutch was not a good idea :bignono:

My hip is now super stiff and swollen solid. Off to bed with plenty of ice !!!

OP
OP
Anniec19

Anniec19

Country
Thank you x I just need to have a lovely lazy day on the sofa and I've got the walker out again xxx

OP
OP
Anniec19

Anniec19

Country
Am watching the Star wars movies...cant believe I've never seen them before x will watch at least 3 more tomorrow!!
Right now I'm off to bed x

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Am watching the Star wars movies...cant believe I've never seen them before x will watch at least 3 more tomorrow!!
Right now I'm off to bed x
Have a restful sleep and sweet dreams. It’s only 18:30 here but I fell I could hit the pillow too!

OP
OP
Anniec19

Anniec19

Country
I've not been able to fall asleep. The last couple of nights I've been able to sleep on my (non operated) side but it's too sore tonight, maybe a contributing factor to this swelling so I'm not risking it. I think I'm going to get up for a cup of tea and a biscuit. I'll try again in a bit...its not like I have to be up early in the morning (silver lining and all that)
Xx

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
:hi: Happy Two Week Anniversary!
I hope you ended up getting some sleep last night, Annie.
Sadly, it seems elusive for some in early recovery and thankfully it's most often temporary. With any luck you'll be able to nap during the day if you're tired. Hope you're having a great Thursday so far. Enjoy the afternoon and evening! :wave:
@Anniec19

OP
OP
Anniec19

Anniec19

Country
Thanks Layla x I did get a few hours in short spurts...nothing like the 8 hours from last week. Have done nothing today except laze about. Currently on the sofa watching Ad Astra waiting for my ice packs to freeze again
Where have those 2 weeks gone, it has flown by. I cant believe how much better I am after those first few awful days BUT I need to slow down as I have definitely been doing too much.
Here's to rest and relaxation

RinTinTin

senior
Country
Canada Canada
Thanks Layla x I did get a few hours in short spurts...nothing like the 8 hours from last week. Have done nothing today except laze about. Currently on the sofa watching Ad Astra waiting for my ice packs to freeze again
Where have those 2 weeks gone, it has flown by. I cant believe how much better I am after those first few awful days BUT I need to slow down as I have definitely been doing too much.
Here's to rest and relaxation
Yes, please slow down! We all feel the urge to get where we were before as soon as possible. All you really have to do for the next few weeks is “do nothing” as you already mentioned. Your body will thank you to allow it this kind of vacation. You are young... there will be plenty of time for you to exaggerate with the activities.
xx

OP
OP
Anniec19

Anniec19

Country
Hi guys
Well I had another amazing sleep last night so feel great today. I was a bit stiff at first as I probably wasn't moving around very much. I think I've cracked this side sleeping so that helps. I put 2 pillows between my legs and off I go...perfect.
I'm going to do very little today again. Will find a couple of films to watch, any recommendations?? Will have a shower as dodnt yesterday and all will be well in Ann's world :SUNsmile::SUNsmile::SUNsmile:

Layla

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Good Afternoon Annie :wave:
Do you have the Hallmark channel in the U.K.?
You could watch sappy, romantic, predictable, but oh so lovable, clean and addictive Christmas movies to help get you in the holiday spirit. Life is almost perfect in a Hallmark movie :wink:

Happy to hear you're getting some restorative rest. I hope you have a peaceful afternoon, evening and weekend! :)
@Anniec19

ritabell

Country
I agree with Layla. Watch anything funny and sappy or something like a period drama. I just watched all the seasons of Downton Abby for the second time and a PBS show called Foyle's War which you might enjoy since it's about England. I also watched the last season of the British Baking Show which I had never seen before. There are 10 episodes before you see the winner... but it might make you hungry for "sponge"!

For your perspective, I just finished 3 weeks and am improving but have no- where -near any substantial amount of energy to accomplish anything. I tire easily. My goal this week is to improve my gait so I walk up/down my hallway concentrating on heel/toe, standing straight, and not walking like a penguin. I still have some pain and a lot of soreness around the incision and fold in the hip. Also, I do something little that takes abut 15 minutes ( make the bed, put clothes away, pay bills ) and then rest for 45...off and on all day at this point. These little things keep me busy. I poop out around 4 and my husband makes dinner. I am getting better at the cane but still a little wobbly and after 4, I resort to the walker for stability.

I hope this helps. Remember I am a week ahead of you.

OP
OP
Anniec19

Anniec19

Country
Morning, (it's nearly 5am here)
I'm sleeping well and feeling great ....apart from being bored stiff. My boss is coming to see me when I've been off for 4 weeks so I'm going to ask him to bring a laptop and mobile phone with him to see if I can do some work from home. I'm planning on being back in the office, on phased return, some time in mid January.
I have a couple of questions though. My operated leg is still about 2cm longer than the other and this is causing me a significant limp. Is this likely to improve or am I stuck with this now.
Secondly I dont feel as if I am doing enough exercise. I haven't been for a walk outside as my drive is very steep and there are steps from the front door so dont want to risk it. There's nobody I can ask to come with me. My kids are all busy this weekend ( big football match between the " best team in the land and all the world" and our closest rivals) maybe Sunday I could ask one of them. Being December and the run up to Christmas means everyone is busy....except me !! I know I'm only at 2 weeks but other than pottering round the house I'm not doing very much. Is this ok?
Thanks in advance for your help and advice, I so love this forum and everyone here.
Ann
Xx

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Annie. I rehabbed at my sister's home for the first weeks as she had walk in shower and a bigger home with a more open floorplan thankfully that gave me a bit more space for walking.
Still I wore out one hallway and was alone during the day after the first weeks so i definitely understand.
Downside to my sisters was she had steps with no hand rails leading out and i too was "stuck" in the house until someone could help me.:umm:Thankfully she has a nice porch so I would at least sit out a bit.
I think you are walking enough now anyway but do ask if Sunday could be a get out day...definitely helps to get some change of scenery.
My operated leg is still about 2cm longer than the other and this is causing me a significant limp. Is this likely to improve or am I stuck with this now.
The surgery trauma is still settling, tightness and swelling...this feeling and limp will most likely resolve.
Check out this article

You are doing great, my friend.
Hope today is a good day.

CricketHip

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
Hi Annie, I think you sound like you are doing well and agree with Mojo's thoughts above. Pottering around the house is giving you more steps than you probably realize but I hope you can get out soon and get some fresh air when someone is visiting. It does help the spirits.
Many of us felt a LLD for quite some time following our replacements, the article Mojo left helps to explain it but there are several members who experienced this and one in particular that I recall who was quite worried with a significant difference was @Bfam85
You might want to read through her recent recovery thread and see how it progressed for her. I'll give you a hint, it turns out really well :yes:

ritabell

Country
If someone asks if they can do something for you , answer "yes, take me for a short drive" or "come for a visit " on Sunday as suggested above, even if it's just to a small store or scenic view, anything to make you feel more normal. I didn't really go out for the first 2 weeks until Thanksgiving which was my first day of week 3, and I was happy to have gone but was pooped! I am 1 week ahead of you. I just returned from a small grocery store which we frequent once a week and I always feel so proud of myself to have interacted with people other than hubby and that's probably the only adventure I'll have today.

I, too, have lots of steps to get out of my house ( raised ranch) and am afraid of them at this point since I only use a cane on them. I don't blame you for being nervous about them. My husband usually walks in front of me or next to me so I feel more secure.

Are you walking with a walker or cane? I felt a little wobbly at 2 weeks walking with a cane. Better at week 3.

Good luck getting out for awhile this weekend.

OP
OP
Anniec19

Anniec19

Country
Hi guys
Well Sunday and Monday were a washout ...didnt get to go out and un fact yesterday I spent most of the day in bed.
Today my cleaner has been so the house is lovely and clean. My son and daughter in law took me to my grandsons swimming lessons which was awesome and then we went for dinner. It was so nice to be up dressed make up on and to go out. I was so excited.
Now I'm home I'm super exhausted so an early night.
My grandsons are coming for a sleepover on Saturday so I'm looking forward to that. Pizza and movie night. The little one (Ted age 4) will want to sleep in my bed so hopw I dont wake him. They're such good boys though and I usually have them at least every fortnight so I've missed them so much.
Overall i feel great just tired n still stiff and BORED but nearly Christmas and will ne mad busy then so will enjoy the rest.
Xx

Mojo333

SENIOR FORUM ADVISOR
Senior Forum Advisor
Country
:hi: I'm glad you got to get out some and come home to a nice clean house too.
This recovery business can be exhausting...and Boring...but slow and steady Does win this race.
My grandsons are coming for a sleepover on Saturday so I'm looking forward to that. Pizza and movie night. The little one (Ted age 4) will want to sleep in my bed so hopw I dont wake him.
:flabber: Really? I dont have grandchildren yet but, speaking on memories with my children, my concern wouldn't be me waking him with my night-stalking, but them rolling and kicking about in the bed with me. Barely wanted my husband lying that close to me in the bed lest he bumped around.

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
knee2hip
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom