Guest viewing is limited

THR anitawants2tango is taking first steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a great "TIP" thread on here where everyone added their little finds that made life so much easier. It was from the summer or fall of 2010. I am going to try to find it and see if Jo or Jamie can rename it.

It's the little things, like putting a large trash bag on the car seat, that make life so much easier. You just had to use caution of course, not to "SLIP :hate-shocked:" off!.

A home therapist showed me the shopping bag trick for my leg slides and I'll tell you, boy did that pick me up as that leg just wasn't moving!
 
***I did find the old thread listed in the Stastics part of "About Me" ***

If you scroll down, it is call "Gotta Laugh" a couple of pages back. It was helpful and funny. There were others too but that's the one that came to mind...a lot of droping things back then!
 
Anita, you said it yourself - you're only 16 days post-op. Never mind what other people are doing. It really doesn't matter as ultimately hips have a way of sorting themselves out. And I would be careful about switching to the cane - if you ever feel uncertain or unsteady, at least use two.
 
Hi Jo,

Ditto, Anita's thanks.. :)
 
Go girl! get better!

Jo In some of the other Forums they have Sub Chapters with Tech tips and keepers for some of the better Ideas Run and attended to by the Mods. You already have some of those already. "Gotta Laugh" might be a candidate for it and had to it as you see fit?
 
Thanks for the video, Anitawants2tango, and thanks to Josephine for the tip about how to use the crutches. I was taught that they both go down together first, then the operated leg, then the good leg. When I saw the video I wondered whether I was doing something wrong, but now I know I'm not. You look great, Anita - nearly ready to tango!

Jane
 
18 days Post Op

It's hard to believe that just 3 days ago I was posting about my frustration with recovery. I guess I was just having a particularly bad day. Thanks to everyone who encouraged me through it - no matter how many times it is repeated in these threads, it is so reassuring to hear that it's all okay, just try to be patient.
All in all it has been a very good week. I am increasingly comfortable with using the cane, though using a crutch allows me to walk for longer distances without feeling like I've over taxed the left leg - mostly the inner thigh/groin muscles, which is where the discomfort was primarily localized pre-op. So far I have walked for about 1/2 - 3/4 mile stretches, but I am unsure of what my limit is as I am trying to stay within it. It was a week of many firsts: I took a shower! :yay: I blow dried and straightened my hair, which I did not imagine I would have the energy to do. I went out to eat (3 times!) and only got a little antsy sitting in a straight backed chair. I crossed a street all by myself, which was a huge psychological milestone. Though weakness and limited range of motion is still a significant issue and there is alot of work to do on the operated side, everyday things seem to be easier - cooking, sleeping on my side, getting in and out of a car. Still having some trouble sleeping and waking up with the roosters, but my energy during the day is okay. The only real negative is that I can no longer get my boyfriend to do anything I want simply by whimpering - He's onto me! :sigh: Though I can't really complain as he took me out for a lovely Sunday afternoon car ride and we met a friend for for tea in Williamsburg, where we shot this week's video.
Wow, suddenly life is starting to feel normal. Amazing. I am so thankful. Wishing you all, particularly my fellow Nibbles, a smooth and ever progressing recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcEZ4tNI0C0&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL
 
Wow Looking really good, Anita! Yup I would say there is definitely a tango in your future ;) :thumb:
 
Anita

That is amazing, you must be so thrilled and what a lovely place to walk - well done, you are progressing extremely well.
 
Hi Anita,

Wow am I jealous!!!
I had my op 3 days before you and am still hopping around with 2 crutches! Yes I know my op was a bit different to most and if you're reading this Jo IAM BEING PATIENT!!! ... all that said you're doing brilliantly.

Keep sending your you tubes they're inspiring.

Charlie
 
My Sister Anita -

WOW what a great post - both the message you shared, and the delightful video of you out for a walk at a beautiful spot. Thanks - you made my day.

The list of similarities continue, my fellow Pisces. The location of your leg pain is the exact same muscles/tendons that I had tightness with for the last two years - and still do after surgery. My PT says this will go away with continued stretching but if there IS any progress, it's so slow that I have not noticed it yet. I also relate to your seemingly small achievements having a positive psychological impact. As for crossing the street by yourself, in NYC that is an accomplishment even for someone with healthy hips, much less someone 18 days post op from THR !! Congratulations ! Maybe you are onto something about us being separated at birth ..... that would explain why we both needed new hips .... bad genes !!

Have a great day and thanks again for your uplifting post.

Kevin
 
Anita - you look great and are doing so well. I look forward to the days of a cane, even if it is with a little hesitation. Keep up the good work and the HUGELY inspirational videos!!
 
Thanks everyone for the encouragement, much, much appreciated.

charlie - Now remember the nitwit conversation. Don't go making comparisons as it is apples and oranges between you and I as your situaltion is much more complex. Keep channeling the force and before you know it, You'll be back.

@Kevin - Cute NYC joke. We have an eight lane roadway here, Queens Blvd, that is actually dubbed the "Boulevard of Death" due to frequency of pedestrian involved accidents. My boyfriend jokes that crossing it will be my final test. Not sure if he means for me to do it blindfolded or not. .... Good luck with the muscle pain, it is soooo annoying. My home PT is not yet recommending stretching, so I am eager to see what outpatient therapist has to say.
Ciao, Anita
 
Hi Anita,

You look fabulous, walking so well too! I'm not far behind you :)

I'm really at peace at not comparing my progress to others my main goal right now is not to have any pain and so far so good! I probably should have created a fun screen name to compliment my new buddy morphine who would have known! Im really really happy I made the decision to move forwa to have this surgery I know I have some weeks tp go on recovery, however I feel much more confident I will accomplish this without the cheers and pains of the damaged hip, today. I kept thinking the pain front the damaged hip was more intense and annoying compared to the surgery soreness.

Continued speedy recovery!

PS I'm looking forward to blow drying my hair out soon hopefully!

xxooxx
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom