THR anitawants2tango is taking first steps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anita, it all sounds great. I no longer have any desire to tango, but I am an avid contradancer, and it's a pleasure to be back at it. You will be too. Keep the good reports coming. :)

Sharon
 
Hi Josephine,
Thank you for the concern. However, this is the gait that the hospital PT encouraged, referring to it as 4 point walking, which she described as a progression from the use of crutches you described. Perhaps there are variations in approach between US and UK?

Anita
 
Oh yes - I forgot about that. It's a new method. I reckon my notion is the old method! :snork:
 
Day 6 post op

Thought I was due for a check in. After those first exuberant steps, I believe that anyone a bit further out in recovery will be familiar with what happened next -- a couple of days of pretty uncomfortable swelling. It's all normal, just annoying and fatiguing. Was still able to do everything I could do previously, but level of activity and ease was down. Now after two days of increased rest, ice, elevation and compression I am feeling much better. Too bad it was a very rainy day in NYC, otherwise I would have gone for another stroll. Hopefully tomorrow. I know this is a pretty dull report, but I am so okay with that. Look forward to spicier posts in the coming weeks.
Wishing you all well.
 
Good to read your one week report Anita. Next year we'll have to be sure to each check in with our 1-year posts !!
 
Yup, that's the secret! Rest, Ice, Elevate and pain meds on schedule! You can't rush recovery, it happens when it happens. You are doing very well Anita, but remember...baby steps!

No sense trying to rush it as your body will keep telling you it's not gonna happen! Just go with the flow, a little progress each day and you will see things happen quicker. Good luck!
 
11 days post op--
Thought I was due for an update, and as they say a picture is worth a thousand words. Below is a clip of me with my PT, now walking with one crutch. It felt GREAT! ...Of course, later after that walk and a PT session, I felt a bit sore and have been heating/icing all day. But all in all, I have to report that every day I notice some small thing I can do. Feeling strength slowly coming back to the operated leg. I am transferring from bed to standing very smoothly now. While standing I can move the leg in all directions, though same thing lying down is almost impossible. At least the leg slides are coming along. Today I actually cooked a little! It's very reassuring to get back to the everday things that used to come so easily.
Will try to give another update next week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP7f_0yUiE4
 
Anita, have you tried doing the leg slides with a plastic grocery bag slipped over your foot? Makes the sliding a lot easier...I put it on with my grabber.

It also helps putting a large trash/dry cleaners bag on your car seat to slide or turn easier. Just be careful not to SLIP!
 
Anita,

You look fabulous!! I'm lad I watched your new video tonight woooohoooo!!

I'll write more soon! Glad you are doing so well!

Night night....

xxooxx
 
Anita....I can't believe how well you are doing! Keep up the great recovery!
 
Well done Anita! Things will get easier and easier. You are doing great!
 
Hey Surgical Sister - that's an awesome video of you out for a stroll. You look like you are walking comfortably and will soon be ditching that crutch. I was just reading this entire thread again and can relate to your pain due to the swelling. Do you wear a compression sock ? My doc said to wear the knee-high ones but I had a lot of swelling in the entire leg so went to a fell length TED sock on the surgical leg - really helped. Glad to read that you are achieving small victories such as cooking - those things really give a psychological boost I think. Keep up the good work and will look forward to your next video.
 
Anita, it is people like you who make it so much easier on us who are still waiting! I am so glad you are doing well and making quick progress. See you on the other side 2 weeks from today!
 
Thanks everyone for your responses! It really gives me an added boost to hear from my buddies on this forum. :friends:

Nanamac - Excellent idea about using the plastic bags! I will definitely try out this technique later on.

Kevin - I have been wondering about the benefits of a compression sock. Since previous posts the swelling has been much less, but tomorrow when the nurse makes a home visit I will go over this option with her. Hoping you are continuing to feel increasingly better.

Plinej - Good luck with your final preparations over the coming 2 weeks. My plan is to do a weekly video clip - I am posting them on Facebook anyway. Happy to hear they give you reassurance, that was my hope.

Have a FANTASTIC day everyone! :flowerysmile:
 
Wow Anita - looking really good! It is very heartening to see you moving smoothly - and with a lovely smile ..... may your recuperation continue to flow smoothly and completely
 
16 Days Post Op
I can imagine that this message can be filed under the heading "Be patient, you're only 16 days post op", but here goes anyway...
This week I switched to a regular cane and I can do pretty much everything I need to, except for getting sock/shoe on my left foot. I am doing all my exercises twice a day and can walk a quarter of a mile (0.4 km) outside. However, my IT band is very sore and painful to the touch and I cannot lift the leg up or to the side more than an inch or two when lying down - can do all movements nicely when standing. Even though I can walk very nicely, I am amazed to hear that some of you are on the exercise bikes already. It makes me wonder if my PT and I are being overly conservative. I probably just need some reassurance, but it would be nice to get. Won't see my OS until 12/22, and my outpatient rehab doc just had a loss in her family, so seeing her will be delayed a couple of weeks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom