THR And so, I Continue

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, slept in a bed all night for the first time since January. It wasn't perfect, but much better than my last attempt. Needed something different. Was a bit nervous I would roll over on auto-pilot but I wedged myself in pretty well so I wouldn't cross over my legs.

I have also gotten to where I can go up and down stairs foot over foot (not wedding march style). Walked all the way to the end of the street (farthest walk yet) and back with the cane.
 
HI @gullimac - I think you are making some great progress with your hip.. steady wins the race in that department. Please know that the dentures will get better.. it takes time and you had an immediate denture placed so the dentures will get looser as your gums and jaw bone heal. I'm sure they explained that to you, but wanted to mention it. I haven't worked in the dental field for a few years now, but we would recommend relining the dentures at 6 months. the healing and shrinking will have slowed down by then and you will have a much better bite with the dentures. there may be a new time frame now, but you are probably getting closer to the finish line. :)
I felt all edgy and depressed at around 3 weeks, wasn't used to being still and was so worried about my practice, and whether my clients would wait for me. Little worries grow into big worries when there's down time. But I can honestly say that I now look back at my recovery period with a smile, it was a happy time. Just having less pain immediately after the surgery was a huge boost!! I bet your young daughters LOVE having you home!!
 
You are definitely making progress! Going up and down the stairs normally still seems a dream to me. And finally sleeping in bed after all those months is a big step forward.

That was wonderful to be able to go to your daughter's play. And then a stop at Brusters. Oh my! We used to have one within about a mile of where we lived and what a treat it was to go there.
 
Started feeling achy all over yesterday afternoon. Upset stomach, headache. Of course I am also,depressed, frustrated and stir crazy. So I isolated myself in the back room--which of course makes me more depressed. Still feel lousy this AM. Hope for a better day today. I know it will get better, just a bad moment.
 
I isolate myself when I feel bad too and I know being around other people does help so I try and force myself to be around people. Hope your feeling better


Candice, 29 yo. Rheumatoid Arthritis. Australia. Sequential unilateral THR June 1st 2016 and July 13th 2016 :)
 
I seem to be riding the same roller coaster of good days / bad days and even good hours / bad hours. And, reading through many other stories here, it certainly is a common theme. Knowing we're all going through this together helps get me through so many concerns. It seems no matter what "problem" I think I'm having, someone else (usually many others) have gone through something similar and come out smiling. I just can't imagine how hard it would have been for me to get through this in the days before we could connect with our fellow travellers right from our recliners.

Anyway, I know you know all this... that's why you're here too. And your posts have been helpful to me and many others.

BTW, we lived in Decatur for 30 years before retiring back north to our home state of NY. (I know we got that retirement move backwards. :rotfl: )

Here's hoping you'll have a better day today!
 
So sorry you're under the weather @gullimac ..... is a flu bug going around your kids school? Or have you changed the way you've been taking your meds? I know that when I'm weaning off pain meds that I have to go super slow or else I get those awful symptoms you're describing. Hope you feel better soon! We're here to try and cheer you up!
:loveshwr::flwrysmile::happydance:
 
Finally started to feel better around 1:00-2:00 this afternoon. Luckily today was the wife's work from home day so she could take the lead a bit with morning prep for the girls. She also went to the grocery store on her lunch break and got me something I crave--Diet Mountain Dew. I don't do coffee so that is my caffeine.

We got a notice from our cable/internet provider that we reached 100% of our monthly data usage on the internet last week. We have occasionally gotten the 90% notice at the end of the month. But never 2weeks into the month! Too much Netflix, so I have had to go without this week.

@Jillie422 I actually got off my oxycodone last week, so I don't think a change in meds was the culprit. The girls have both been battling stuff for a few weeks. I think I picked up something from them.
 
So when PT was here today we were talking about my upcoming visit at with my doctor. I mentioned again that I was waiting for the nurse to come this week to take out my staples. She looked in their system and didn't see anyone scheduled to come out, so she called in to get to the bottom of it. Long story short, the nurse is coming out tomorrow to take out the staples. I appreciated her doing that. Showed Therapist how I could go up and down the stairs foot-over-foot. She said she rarely gets to that point with any of her patients. Then we took a good stroll down the street.

Spent some time in the garage today. Used my grabber to help clear some space to walk and clean some trash. Then sorted through a box. Cleaned up my work bench a bit too. Felt good to make some progress, no matter how small it was.

Good day full of activity, but feeling tired now.
 
Great day! And that's the 'good' kind of tired. Congrats on getting those staples out tomorrow! Now....good rest.
 
[Bonesmart.org] And so, I Continue
Finally got my staples out yesterday. I took the picture below. I may try to get my wife to help take a better one later.

Today have told the wife I need to get out of the house. Grabbing my prescriptions, eating lunch and doing some shopping while we are out. I had hoped to head to the family cabin in Blue Ridge, Ga but we finally heard back from the dog trainer that is going to work with our ill-behaved furry children and she is coming today.

I have my first follow up with my surgeon on Monday as I hit 4 weeks post-op. I think I really only see the Physcians Assistant this time. Hoping to get a feel for when they think I can get back to work. I would like to shoot for beginning my phased return at the 6-7 week mark.
 
Looks Good @gullimac !! Healing is really coming along and it sounds like you're ready to get back out there! Sounds like they'll let you work part time and work up to full time just in case you get there and run outta gas.... :) Hopefully you'll get to come to the mountains before your work debut. Nothing like this beauty and serenity to up the spirits and get us motivated!
 
I would like to shoot for beginning my phased return at the 6-7 week mark.
A bit early for returning to work - especially since you are already experiencing energy drain. Hope you can ease in very slowly as you are doing really well. I just wouldn't want to see you having a set back.
 
@Jaycey You may be right. I am always overly ambitious on this type of thing. My original plan was returning at 8 weeks. At 6 weeks we will be in to our summer planning hours--a much easier time to transition back into work than during the school year. Mostly planning, scheduling and budgeting--no event coverage and late nights.

I partially want to head back a little earlier so that I can afford to go to our annual beach vacation with my family in NC. That is actually at the 8 week mark of recovery. My wife is planning to take the girls without me so they can see paw-paw and their cousins. They are going to fly (she hates the 7. Hour drive). I am not sure my doc would let me fly at 8 weeks anyway, so it is probably a pipe dream anyway. I had told my dad from the beginning that I doubted I would be able to make the trip this year.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom