Guest viewing is limited

THR And so, I Begin Again

@julesglass for me my gluetious muscles had stopped firing when I walked because pre-op when they fired they caused the ball and socket to go into positions that caused pain. So to cope, they just stopped working to avoid the pain. I had to consciously do,exercises to force them to work. First because they were weak from taking so much time off. Second to remind me what it felt like to use those muscles. Then They encouraged me to over-emphasize firing that muscle in my walk. It took a while for me to use those muscles without thinking about it. But that group of muscles was what was missing.
 
Thanks @gullimac. I'll work on my bum. It could help with some of the back pain I'm having. I know my back is now the focus, scoliosis.
 
@Postalgal. I am surprized no one followed up with you on PT. I agree that if it doesn't feel comfortable back off.
Josephine discourages exercise post op but for the very reason that gullimac mentioned which is gait training you should be evaluated. I would contact OS office. Do you return for an appointment soon?

No, next appointment is in January. So I will call and find out about this.

@gullimac Interested in the "wake up" muscles exercises as well... Ok, here I go watching in the mirror to see how I walk, ughhh! Going to get hubby to watch...all I know for sure is from reading your thread is the heel toe thing. Much appreciated, love BoneSmart!
 
OS didn't say to go for PT, just asked if I wanted it. I had said there was one close to home if I felt I needed it. It was left at that. I go back soon to OS Dec 5th. I'll ask about gait then.
 
@gullimac thank you. This makes so much sense and explains why I have had so much pain in my glute.
 
I can't speak for @gullimac but "dynamic stretching" is a well-accepted approach in the running community for getting key muscles to wake-up (or firing) before activity. You can google dynamic stretching but here is one article that describes it reasonably well. https://www.runnersworld.com/race-training/dynamic-stretching-better-before-training-and-racing

When I trained for my first Ironman my coach had me do a set of these stretches before every run. They are safer than static stretching and prepare often underutilized muscles for work. Gluteus medius and hip flexors were the areas that I most benefitted from. I often had trouble getting those areas strengthened and flexible and suffered because of it with injuries and a poor gait.

And speaking of gait, I struggled with mine after my original replacement but didn't know it at the time. In my rehab and subsequent training it was not something I ever focused on or new much about until I had my gait analyzed before getting a new pair of running shoes. I had my gait recorded from behind while walking on a treadmill. It was clear on video that the foot on my operated leg was splaying out (vs straight ahead) and I was swinging my leg out and then back in instead of straight back and forward.

I was told to focus on trying to ensure my foot pointed forward instead of to the side all the time and do exercises specifically aimed on strengthening glutes and flexors. Just things like taking a shower and looking down at my foot I could see it splayed out. It took a long time to make my gait better and I found that if I let certain muscles get weak, especially the gluteus medius, I would have a setback and would usually suffer IT band problems. It's amazing how interconnected so many things are with the hip.

Most good running stores can analyze your gait or you can do it by using your phone or camera to record yourself walking and then watch it in slow motion. It's usually pretty obvious where the major problems are.
 
Hm yes, @Scott, I now recall pre-op my right foot couldn't go straight in a forward motion, I had to walk with it pointed out to the side to accommodate the hip. Others (kindly!?) pointed that out. For me it was the only way I could move. In the shower, I had to angle my leg/hip at quite an extreme position in order to be able to stand on one leg. All these movements are consciously or unconsciously adapted to 'get by', which are so ingrained that we clearly continue with some of them. All this now makes me realise I need to focus on gait and stance as a matter of priority. So thank you for that post! Will check your link and blog.
 
Hm yes, @Scott, I now recall pre-op my right foot couldn't go straight in a forward motion, I had to walk with it pointed out to the side to accommodate the hip. Others (kindly!?) pointed that out. For me it was the only way I could move. In the shower, I had to angle my leg/hip at quite an extreme position in order to be able to stand on one leg. All these movements are consciously or unconsciously adapted to 'get by', which are so ingrained that we clearly continue with some of them. All this now makes me realise I need to focus on gait and stance as a matter of priority. So thank you for that post! Will check your link and blog.

Same here. My body did things to protect itself and they became habit. Since I'm going through this again I can see it happening from the beginning - and it is - so I am already working on it.

I saw a PT a few years ago that really helped me identify specific muscles that needed help and she gave me exercises and stretches that helped a lot. You can google 'weak gluteus medius' and see several articles that give similar info and exercises. I don't want to post any links lest anyone think I'm biased or spamming. I sought professional advice and read credible sources to determine what was best for me. Good luck! It's fun helping your body work correctly.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It is amazing what our bodies do to adapt. Undoing all that accommodation when it is no longer needed can be tough. I am sure this is the biggest battle I have facing me. Lots of retraining to do.
 
So on Saturday we went out to eat with sister-in-law and her family. It was luckily a short car ride because I could not find a comfortable position to sit in the car. Felt like I was sitting on a hard, bruised balloon. Never had that the first time, or my first trip out 2 days before. Sitting at the resteraunt was a little better, but not great. We had planned to go out and grab a few things shopping right after, but mid-way through our meal I leaned over to let my wife know this was not going to happen. I was hit by one of those rapid on-set exhaustion moments. The ride home was again plagued by that same uncomfortableness no matter how I positioned myself. Got home took my meds and got into bed, with some unexpected difficulty I will add.

Yesterday was better, but I did not do much. Some new muscle soreness.

Today the wife is back at work, but the kids are off from Thanksgiving Break. I warned both girls last night that I was not going to be in the business of "keeping them entertained" this break. They were going to need to work on finding things to do around the house because we would not be able leave home. So far we are doing pretty good. My mother-in-law will help with them some the next two days, but today she has people coming over today. My youngest likes to run the leaf blower, so I may get her outside this afternoon to blow off the driveway. Will also have them take their dog for a walk down the street to the cul-de-sac and back.

I can tell I am hitting one of those mental roadblocks right now. Those feelings of guilt like I should be accomplishing things around the house. That desire to be useful. Recovery is not a vacation and I fall prey to that mindset periodically...especially when it is part of a school break for the girls. Just a lull in the road to recovery and I know I will punch through it in time.
 
Good for you, that you keep reminding yourself that you are home for recovering, not to get things done around the house. Your trip out to dinner the other day, and difficulties with extra soreness and energy drain, are ample proof that you are still in the thick of early healing.

It must be so much harder having kids at home, but it sounds like yours are understanding of what you can and cannot do. Take good care of yourself, gullimac!
 
@gullimac, sure hope the little 'uns give you some peace while they're home - sounds like they can be a handful from your previous posts! It's a great idea to get them working on some practical stuff around the house or garden. Make a list and issue orders! If you can make it into a fun competition to see who completes the most in certain time scales (with rewards or marks out of ten/gold stars as bait) they'll want to outdo each other and come to the party :-) Sit back with your book, you're only 2 weeks post-op and it is imperative all your energy goes into your recovery. Take it easy and let go of that guilt - you've just had massive surgery and it's only time that heals.
 
Officially 2 weeks out.

So girls are off on assignment with Nana today. With Wife doing her usual work at home Wednesday, this was the best day to get the girls out of the house. After they left I grabbed a good shower. Then I just sat down to enjoy a bit of silence. My oldest has a tendency to narrate everything she is doing and thinking. My youngest has volume control issues. Can make for a lot of noise pollution. I love them, but man does it make my head spin sometimes.

PT showed back up yesterday. That went fine. I told her I was walking short distances without the cane, so she checked out my walking gait with and without it. Takes a lot of concentration but I can get pretty close to normal without. She gave me a few new things to work on and said we would spend more time walking on Friday. If the weather is good we will do it outside so we can get longer straight lines in. Feel like I am making good progress.

Still have not heard anything more about a home health nurse coming out to take out these staples. I head back to see the PA in two more weeks. Mostly off the heavy meds during the day.

I got sucked into a work thing over the last 2 days. I ended up way more involved than I should be. Trying to let most things go and will try to stay as far away as possible over the next few weeks. Recieved a call from another one of my coaches yesterday. I was expecting another issue to deal with, but he was just checking on me. That was kind of nice.

Hoping for a nice stress-fee Turkey Day tomorrow. Hope everyone has the same.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@gullimac I hope you had a nice relaxing Thanksgiving! I am glad PT is checking on your walking gait with and without the cane. I have been getting around the house with and without cane but think I have a totally different gait without cane. This could also be something hubby could evaluate. My PT will have to give information on how to overcome. My PT is more of a need to have basis rather than regularly scheduled. Last vs a week ago Friday he gave me simple exercises to wake up muscles as you say but I am not sure this is enough. Like I said with cane and without cane feel very different.

I agree with Sunny girl.....don't answer the phone when work calls! Also, call the OS office to find out about having your staples removed!
 
Having heard from our buddy @JMACCA today reminded me of those first steps after a THR. The excitement of not having that joint pain, and the encouragement of only having muscle paint that you knew was just temporary... The second time through, you kind of take that for granted. I am so glad for the reminder. Something for us in the US to remember to be Thankful for.

What words would those of you who have made it to the "other side" use to describe that feeling for our pre-op friends?

For me I would have to use the word euphoric and energizing.
 
@gullimac - liking your progress reports. You have far more to shoulder than me (your hip twin) as no kids at home, just grandkids who come and go, so your situation is more full time, full on than mine. I think you're coping very well. I DO love the noise pollution expression - spot on!
Would be good to get those staples out - each of these steps makes us feel we are progressing. I find the daily pics of my wound encouraging and actually quite fascinating to compare with last time. It is crusting up nicely, and with that comes a slightly stingy sensation and my late mother's words resonate in my ears "that means it's getting better" :angel:
I know it's hard to ditch work. The Internet is a double edged sword with work emails coming directly to my iPad, iPhone. I have a tendency to jump on issues too, and am trying to keep it sensible. Frankly the brain fog and occasional tiredness jags cause me to want to pull back. Even tackling writing Chrismas cards seems to have evaded me so far, though I would like to get to it today - maybe in front of the telly with my trusty lap tray?

And my contributions are, Relief; Gratitude and Liberation! At last - hope and planning for our futures!
 
@gullimac ~ I think the word I would use is: Surprised! I hadn't given any thought to the possibility of the procedure ending my lower back pain (tailbone!) I thought any pain I had experienced was limited to my hip....but the added bonus was NO MORE BACK PAIN! Can't ask for more than that? And thus....I am grateful also!

You're doing great....keep it up. Love the expression: ' Noise pollution' so apt!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom