THR And so, I Begin Again

Glad you are going well.
I think with the emotions you just have to roll with it and let it out, not bottle up.
Come on here if you don't want to put things on your wife. I had a friend who was really understanding who I would text message whenever I was feeling down. We understand.

Glad the change in May is giving you something to work towards and it will be here before you know it. Despite sitting around all day for months at a time, this year has flown for me!


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
Sitting out on the back deck on a chilly Saturday morning. Feeling pretty good 4 days out of surgery. Prior to surgery we had a dead tree in our yard removed and I asked them to chip it down to mulch so we could spread it. I spent the two weekends leading up to surgery trying to spread it out--got about 1/3 of the way through the HUGE pile. My dad has worked on the pile with my daughters a bit, but the he going is slow. I a m looking forward to getting out and finishing the job in a couple months. Imagining being able to do it with two fully functioning hips brings a smile to my face.

I am ready for a shower today. I think dad will head back to NC. It has been great to have him, but I am ready to have more daily alone time (at least for now). I realize that will change after a day or two.
 
Hi Bruv - lovely news that you're really feeling good. Those early emotions you talked about are borne out of frustration aren't they. We SO want to fast forward to total recovery, but we will get there. Having two properly functioning hips will be like the best thing ever won't it. I sit and dream of all the things I want to do. Just springing out of bed, skipping downstairs and embracing the day. Bending and helping with gardening, taking a bike ride, sharing a country walk, horsing around with the grandkids instead of backing out of activities I know I could not contemplate.

It will all come but takes time. For now we have to allow our bodies to dictate when we need rest (and believe me it takes me by surprise when I simply log-off and fall asleep at the drop of a hat) We do, at least know the routine and that gives us a bit of an edge doesn't it? So our expectations should be reasonable and within reach. How lovely to have your Dad staying and so sorry your daughter was unwell. Hope she's recovered now. Your patient wife will understand that all she does in keeping the household wheels moving are precisely what you would do if the roles were reversed. And if that time comes you'll be a fitter person and able to cope that much better.

From one lucky bunny to another :cheers:
 
Feeling pretty good 5 days post-op. In fact, I feel better than I remember feeling this early on during the first hip. Can totter around in the kitchen or bathroom without the Walker for a step or two as needed. No issues with log leg to report.

The first shower yesterday was awesome, and much needed. My dad headed back home yesterday. He and my wife managed to get a good amount of mulch from our chipped up tree back to the back yard. Only slightly more than a third of the pile remains. Only thing that could make me happier was if I had done it myself.

Not sleeping very well. Getting 2-3 hours at a shot. Still on meds, but trying to push out the timing as able. Might try to get into bed tonight--have stuck to recliner thus far. I get bouts of sudden-onset exhaustion throughout the day, but have not been able to catch an elusive mid-day nap. Maybe once I have an empty house during the day next week I will catch one.

Reminding myself this is still early. I was on an every other day type of activity schedule up until 3-4 weeks post-op on the first. I would be pretty active one day and the consciously do very little activity the next day.
 
@gullimac I read your thread and appears you are doing great! I feel bad I haven't kept up with everyone the last week, I will try harder, be alone again this coming week. But I am finding, as a woman's or man's work is never done.. lol! Soooo many things I want to do, cleaning out dresser drawers, reorganizing things that I can within limits of course. Yes, you are VERY early, easy does it! We all will get there soon enough, I know soon enough doesn't seem close, but it is. I see every surgery is not the same even on the same person. But I think of the new year and how great it will be to do all the things and more that I just didn't or couldn't do before. Daughter yesterday reminded me as I went into the house, up 7 stairs , landing, then 2 short steps in, how I was grabbing the side of the house before to get in, she mocked me...ohhh how we forget! I don't have to do that anymore, yay! After a hard days work, I climbed those dreaded to me anyway stairs and thinking if I can just get in, I'm good. Now, piece of cake, no pain, better every day. You got this my friend! Have a great day!
 
@gullimac I wanted to ask you, what kind of recliner do you have? Mine has the handle and I tested with oldest granddaughter to watch her get out, and she broke the 90 degree rule. Maybe with pillows? But I have my leather couch with electric recline and sit on it with pillows and it is lovely. But sitting there is the recliner, I guess it sits. lol
 
I love my lift recliner...but a bracket on it broke and it no longer works automatically. The motor is still good but a long metal post failed. I can still use it manually. It naturally sits a little higher than most chairs so I can easily avoid 90 degrees by sliding to the front to get out. I can't use our couch because it is too low and too soft. I actually bought a couple of stools that I put in our kitchen and den. That way I have somewhere to sit and I can join family when I feel up to it. With a "good leg" to rely on that actually is a good leg this time I am finding most things less of an issue.
 
By the way @Postalgal I caught up on your thread this morning. Looks like recovery is going well. Glad you could get out and about to the movies. I haven't quite gotten to the stir-crazy stage yet..but it will hit soon.

Talking about being reminded of things you used to do routinely to get by before surgery, I can relate. That is going to be a major obstacle for me..returning to normal body mechanics. Because I could not pivot on my left leg without catching and pain I developed a habit of not putting my heal on the ground when I first get up. pT in the hospital noticed this and asked if I had muscle tightness causing me to be unable to put the heel down. Explained to her it was just one of many habits I was going to have a hard time breaking.
 
@gullimac It is SO hard to break habits we build up pre-op. I am still trying to break the habit of not putting full weight through my right leg. It does take awhile to build up strength if you limped around for any length of time. Just keep at it. You'll get there!
 
Took the girls to the bus stop this morning and that was exhausting. Ready to settle in for a bit and rest before I shower and get ready for PT. I forgot how it is the little things that you take for granted (like a walk two houses down to the bus stop) that reach up and take a bite out and of all your energy.

It was good to get out and see the neighbors though. They were impressed by my ease my ease of movement and toughness. Of course they did not see my first "walk" of about 5 steps where I almost passed out and almost puked all over everyone:sick:. No need to change their opinion of my superior abilities, right?
 
@gullimac Good afternoon! Just catching up on your recovery posts from the last few days. That is so great your dad ( and his wife) helped out with the mulching of the yard. :)

I'm sure your girls liked you to be able to walk them to school but hopefully you got home and rested and iced afterwards. Your description of your neighbors being impressed with you and the first walk in the hospital made me chuckle and then I realized I will probably have the same walk. :sick:
Keep up the good work!
 
@gullimac ... hello, hope all is going well. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm on the same road you've been on. I have one new hip (7 weeks old today) and one original. My surgery was scheduled as bi-lateral but complications meant only one was done, so I'm waiting for hip 2. I was just wondering how you coped on your old hip as you recovered from surgery 1? I'm finding my remaining bad hip hampering my recovery a bit. It loved all the pain meds, but now I'm off them and quite active generally, it's really making a fuss.
 
@Sunny girl any idea on the timing for hip #2?

I knew in the grand scheme of things I had a short time to wait for #2. My original plan was to wait an entire year for the second, but I realized before long that I needed to bump up the time-table. I realized about 3 weeks into recovery from the first hip that the second hip was now a limiting factor. I was very consciously as "easy" on my left hip as I could be. I knew I would not be fully in recovery until the second surgery and kept myself in that mindset. I decide against out-patient PT partially because it really irritated my left hip more than it helped the right. It was highly frustrating at points when I let it get me down.

I was in really bad shape prior to the first surgery, so honestly no matter how bad the wait for hip #2 was going to be, I knew it would be nothing compared to the wait for the 1st. It was way harder mentally than physically. I enjoyed the small things I could do and celebrated those with eye to being able to do so much more once the left hip joined the recovery process.
 
@Tweetybrd topped off my adventure today with some in-home PT. So needless to say I am a bit tired tonight. Should sleep well. Will heed my own advice and have a minimal activity day tomorrow.

I have seen a lot of the debate on BS about PT. I really did not do much of the leg lifting and strengthening stuff in-between visits last time. I really focused on mechanics of walking. Once I got know my therapist and she got to know me we were able to focus our work where it was needed. Hoping to do the same with this therapist. She told me she did not anticipate needing to see me for long.

Just have to remind myself to listen to my body everyday and make adjustments as needed.
 
Hi again @gullimac, good that you can now finally make this your one big synchronised recovery, given that the second hip caused so much difficulty right up to the second surgery. I hope you're pacing yourself and being gentle and compassionate to yourself, both physically and mentally. The small joys of recovery mean so much.

At my six week check up the OS said he had space two weeks later for me! Eight week gap. And that it was up to me entirely. Or, I may have to wait until 'sometime' next year (he's very busy) likely after March or later. I was a bit shocked, but saw the benefits. However, admin since told me has to get permission/approval of second surgery (as the authorities believe I'm 'done' and dusted already as bi-lateral) and that can take 1wk -1month to receive the okay, then paperwork, etc. I get the sense it may not happen next week but am on alert in case of a last minute rush. What will be will be.

Yes that discrepancy between new and old hip is really marked. The reason he wanted to do bi-lateral is because I would be trying to recover on a hip that's had it. I felt a wreck before surgery, at least I feel half good now, if not more - because the lifting of agony is so mind-altering.
 
Hope you can hop in that 2 week window @Sunny girl . To me the waiting was always the hardest part.

One week out today. Took the girls to the bus stop this morning then hopped back in bed for a couple hours. After my first day of PT yesterday, I had planned to make this a recovery day. Mission accomplished. I did some walking inside the house, but not much else.

More PT tomorrow and I will see how my energy level is on Thursday. Overall no complaints. I figure next week is when the boredom will set in. Will try to figure out a low key (short) venture out of the house this weekend.
 
@gullimac Hello again! Have to join in on discussion of both hips being done. I knew that I needed both hips done but also knew that I didn't want both at same time. My OS will not do them at same time even so. I stopped PT in advance of surgery by about a month as it didn't do too much for my hips. I was swimming everyday for exercise. I also think that focusing on walking postop is the most important thing. When one hip is done you sure do notice the other one is more painful. Sometimes it is hard to listen to your body when you want to get up and go. Hang in there! A day at a time!

@Sunny girl Sounds like surgery is questionable based on paperwork and Dr. approval? Hope all goes through for you! Once I got the mindset that surgery was going to happen for me I couldn't cope with waiting too long. Good Luck! As I said before 8 weeks was ideal for me. You are lucky a spot opened and I hope all goes through okay.
You have the right mindset....what will be will be!
 
@gullimac and @SwimGirl- discovering it's all about listening in, not doing what others (PT) think we should do. !

I had two physio sessions at home and completely trusted that I was being guided correctly. On the second session at just before week 3 he made me abandon the two crutches and walk unaided quite a distance on a dirt road up an incline saying: you didn't walk with aids before the surgery, you don't need to now! Where is the logic? I did as he said. It affected me badly and I had to stop all exercise for the next 2 weeks. He also had me doing bridge exercise (raising buttocks off the bed) from first session (day 7). On the second session (day 20) he ramped it up it to a bridge while extending one leg, then the other. This is hard to do correctly and safely even for fit people who haven't had hip surgery (cause I tried it in the past in Pilates class and it didn't feel right).

I requested he not come back.

Listen to this. He wanted me to do 75, yes 75 of each exercise twice a day, so 150 of EACH exercise per day (including squats!)

Shockingly, after some quick research I discovered the bridge is NOT recommended for the anterior approach, due to the following reason:

"Since the table uses external rotation and extension along with traction to lever the hip out of place, I do tell patients to NOT purposely do a Yoga “bridge” type motion post-op until the anterior capsule tissue has had a chance to heal ... it takes about 4 months for the capsule to re-form."

I'm sticking to walking. Even though my old hip plays up - at least I'm not crunching it into terrible positions.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom