Guest viewing is limited

THR And so, I Begin Again

Good job @gullimac! Now you have your hips in working order you've made a brave and bold decision to snatch back the rest of your life. What are your plans? Really interested to know.
I must update my thread too Twinny. Am moving far better, added various activities to improve my mobility, muscle tone and fitness. Slowly but surely I feel heaps better.
Very happy to hear your news - enjoy the next months knowing you'll soon have a whole new future.
 
Terrific news, @gullimac, that you have told them at work you won't be returning. Glad you are enjoying the feeling of relief and are going to be trying to enjoy the rest of the year. Onwards and upwards for you!
 
Oh good!! @gullimac I bet you feel like a huge weight is off your shoulders. :) Glad to hear your hips are doing well too with your tough work schedule.:)
 
@Miss Muffet I am not entirely sure what is up next for me. My wife does well enough that we can afford for me to take some time to figure it out. Thinking I will take a year to stay home, get the kids where they need to go, set routine for homework and take care of the house. After that, I think I may pick up something part-time. Maybe I will discover something I can be passionate about. It is scary and liberating at the same time.
 
Just came to check in on you. I am so happy to hear how well your hips are doing. Also glad you have reached some peace regarding your job. What a blessing it will be to your kids to have a stay at home dad for awhile.

Of course, my kids have enjoyed having mom kinda out of the picture during the recovery, because I've not been able to nag and push them as much. ;) Who knows, your kids may say, "daddy, go back to work".

Its funny, as my knee slowly improves, I have finally been able to look at going back into the paid work world. Between my kids special needs and my pain, I have not worked full time in over 16 years. I have started the process to get my social work license here in jersey and have signed to take a review class for the boards. Its amazing what one can think about doing once there is hope of no more pain.

I totally get what you say about the chronic pain being exhausting. I often feel so lazy and then a friend reminded me just how much energy being in pain requires.

Anyway, just wanted to check in and say I'm so glad you are doing so well. It gives me hope!
 
Sorry that I disappeared for a long while. Coming up on my 1year anniversary from my first hip next month. Have remarked to several people that I can not even recognize the person I was a year ago. I was in a horrible place then.

One odd thing here lately. I was sick (flu) in the last 2 weeks for the first time since surgery. I sure did feel it in my hips as it started. Wondering if that is par for the course. I used to always feel the fever coming on through pain in my shoulders when I was getting the flu. Now I certainly felt it in my hips too.

For those of you that remember my story, this is the 2 year anniversary of the death of my mother and the 1 year anniversary of having the majority of my teeth pulled and being fitted for dentures. A historically rough series of days for me. But after aknowledging those things, I find myself in a pretty good place today.

Good luck to those of you getting ready to go through this life changing experience soon. Congrats to those of you that have traveled this road already.
 
@gullimac Good to hear from you and glad you are doing well. Can't believe it's almost one year since your first THR. Well done!
 
@gullimac I recall your thread when I was getting ready for my first thr -you def had your plate full and have come full circle. I'm sorry about your mother, I lost my wonderful parents at a young age and completely sympathize, it takes a lot of time to get used to it. You sound great :)
 
Hello Twinny. I've been guilty of being off grid for a while too. Back to working again, which is actually great and the joy of coping with grandkids and managing to (almost) keep up with them - give me a few more months and I'll be overtaking them! I'm so glad to hear you're doing well and that you're approaching your anniversary in much better shape than this time last year. Long may it last!
 
So, I am just a few days past the 1 year anniversary of my first THR. Not sure if any of my hippie twins are stil around (@Cynthia777 ) because I have not been around in so long. HUGE life change for me from a year ago. Beyond thrilled to be where I am now. Hardly recognize the person I was a year at ago.

Now I am preparing for a major life change professionally. Very excited and scared for what lies ahead. Hoping that those of you struggling through this major decision can see what should lie ahead.
 
Hello Twinnie. In totally concur. Best thing(s) I ever did was getting those nasty hips tidied up. And as for not recognising the people we were, well there is simply no resemblance. The effect that chronic pain inflicts has a broad range of influences - none are good. The knock-on effect is draining, both physically and emotionally. The outlook is positive. Good luck with your change of direction. Look ahead and live!
 
@gullimac Exciting times ahead. I remember you were considering a major change in your life post recovery. Hope it all goes well! Thanks for checking in!
 
Great hearing from you! It sounds like everything is going well. I guess I am a Twinnie also! Stay in touch.
Sheri
 
Hello @gullimac ,
I enjoyed reading your new post. I wish you all the best for your major life change and that it may be successful. Carry on posting here from time to time.
No major change in life for me after I had my new hip. I'm still in my old job (translating) but was able to go back to my favourite sport and hobbies and am able to do them better now. Best wishes - Constanze
 

Staff online

  • benne68
    Staff member since February 4, 2022
  • djklaugh
    Staff member since December 30, 2020

Members online

Back
Top Bottom