THR And so, I Begin Again

@gullimac The first few days I was wary and still feeling some pain and walking hesitantly but at some point about 5 days in I realized I was walking around consistently with a smooth stride and hadn't experienced that in quite a while so a degree of awe and pleasure I think.
 
The girls went back to school this morning. That will make life a little more back to normal.

It was a busy weekend. On Friday I had PT and then we wanted to go out to dinner with another family. That was fun, but exhausting. They have 3 daughters that fit in quite well with ours. The husband works with my wife, so they tend to talk a lot of shop. I am a bit of an introvert, so on a normal night I would be ready for some alone time after an outing like that. Throw in the rapid onset exhaustion and I was done. Spent Saturday morning in my recliner. My wife worked on getting the Christmas decorations up. Sunday we headed out for brunch and a "quick" trip shopping. I used the shopping cart as Walker routine. A lot of walking even on this "quick" trip. Helped the oldest find a Christmas present for the oldest and did some stealthy window shopping (and note taking) for the oldest. Again I was plenty tired by the end.

Judging by my two different recoveries, I will already say that it was easier to get motivated to do things while recovering in the late spring/early summer months. I have found less of a pull to get outdoors this time with the cooler weather and less daylight. I am mostly without the cane in the house, but I use it any time I go outside or leave to go out in public. Hoping to get a "second wind" the end of the week and get motivated to moving more. I think I am just working my way through the 3-4 week lull.
 
Sounds like you are doing very well @gullimac . That's a lot of moving around and socialising for so early out. Hope you can get some rest now that things are back to normal. That "one month slump" is a real downer - and the short days don't help. Hang in there!
 
I am a bit of an introvert

That does compound the exhaustion doesn't it? I too am a bit of an introvert and being social on a good day has its limits--add in fatigue and recovery and the limit is even more marked.
 
@gullimac With all your being out and about it doesn't sound like you are an introvert at all. How nice your wife got all the Christmas decorations going. Lovely! What a nice team you make. I had to laugh at the cart being used as walker routine. When I go to Walmart I have to be the one pushing the cart. Gets so much easier with time! All the dinners out and shopping I would say that you are doing amazingly well!
 
I think if it had not been a holiday I would not have pushed so much on getting out and about last week @SwimGirl . I "pushed and pushed" so much before the first surgery to get through. I tend to fight that mentality still during post-op. I figure that I could work 60-70 hour weeks through the horrible OA pain prior to my first surgery for over 10 months, that I should be working right now. I feel so much better now than I did then, so it makes sense, right? That is the little battle I fight in my head pretty regularly. It does not help that I dislike my job and have made the decision to leave the profession in May.

On a lighter note, I got pretty good at using the shopping cart as a walker prior to surgery. Even when I only needed stamps I was using a cart.
 
@gullimac You just had major surgery this month! Do not push yourself! Enjoy a much needed vacation I hope goes through Christmas so you can enjoy the family! You cannot get this time back with the kids. Mine are grown so I know how fast time goes by. I am so happy you are out of pain now. Give yourself a little time to move around easily and enjoy life without rushing back to work especially since this is not a job you love!

I really do understand about the shopping cart. I would get a cart in the parking lot preop and push it into the store so I had something to hold onto. Then I would limp into the store holding on for dear life! Feel like you are the only one doing this at the time. Now I know different. Now I do not limp but still hang on due to those reluctant muscles that just haven't adjusted to new hips! Tincture of time!
 
Having heard from our buddy @JMACCA today reminded me of those first steps after a THR. The excitement of not having that joint pain, and the encouragement of only having muscle paint that you knew was just temporary... The second time through, you kind of take that for granted. I am so glad for the reminder. Something for us in the US to remember to be Thankful for.

What words would those of you who have made it to the "other side" use to describe that feeling for our pre-op friends?

For me I would have to use the word euphoric and energizing.

This is a lovely post, as we don't have thanksgiving in Aus it's not common to say what your thankful for. I am thankful for modern medicine and medical staff that listen and act.

I would describe the post op feeling as surreal, euphoric and relief all at once!

I honestly pinch myself and still get so excited when I can do things I couldn't before. Our ensuite bathroom has a shower over tub that o haven't been able to use for a year or so pre-surgery. We have another shower but it's at the other side
Of the house. And I have claimed that bathroom now anyway but had a shower in the ensuite today and remarked to hubby that I could get into the bath! I remember how locked my hips were and how painful it was when I tried. Feels like yesterday but years ago at the same time. 2016 has been a big year for us!


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
I know what you mean about getting that feeling that you worked whilst in you had the OA and severe pain , so surely you can do it now.

I get that feeling sometimes too but I remember how exhausted I was and just don't want to go back to that. I honestly don't know how I did it for so long.

Just take each day as it comes and before you know it it will be the new year and you'll be feeling much more capable.


Candice - 29 year old from Aus
RTHR 1 June 2016 LTHR 13 July 2016 Revision of LTHR 12 October 2016.
 
I remember my first recovery hitting a 3-4 day period like this where I got depressed about my recovery and work. It sucked and I walled myself off from folks for a few days and got through it. I was hoping to avoid that this time. The good part of the whole thing was it provided me with some clarity on changing some priorities when it came to family and work. Since then I have experienced several things that have confirmed for me that I need to make a change.

PT today was good. We got rain here in Georgia for the first time in 43 days so we couldn't walk outside. We did spend more time walking without the cane inside though. The PT was great about reminding me how well things are going, that I really am ahead of what is generally expected. She also reminded me not to push too hard and be patient. Not in the sense that I am going to damage my new hip, but in the sense of having to shut things down for several days and slow down the recovery. It certainly was the reasoning that I needed to hear today.

I told her that I wanted to try to get in the drivers seat towards the end of the week...and hopefully try a short drive this weekend. I explained I was off the oxycodone since last Friday and the sitting in and getting in/out of the vehicle are manageable. The OS had left the decision on my plate last hip. I waited until after the 1 month check up last time. This time with it being the left hip it should be more manageable (no clutch to worry about). I think that regaining the freedom that comes with not being stuck at home will help my mentality too.

Supposedly someone is coming tomorrow to take out the staples. I will be glad for that.

@dandy_candi you are very right about the exhaustion. I was totally and completely exhausted all the time during the 10 month lead up to the first surgery. Both physically and mentally. It is so easy to discount that part of it when I think about working.

And yes, @SwimGirl , my wife has been tremendous during this whole process. She has had to do so much without me for years because of my job (and my hips). I think she sees the light at the end of the tunnel now. She is getting glimpses of having a team mate again. We do work great together when I am available and not exhausted.

I am at 3 weeks out today and I am in a bit of a rough patch...but I know the light at the end of the tunnel is out there too. I need to remember to keep that in mind. Thanks fellow BoneSmarties for being here.
 
@gullimac I have to agree with @gertie that we all go through the low times and wonder if we can get out of it. I remember saying that I just felt stuck in the phase that I was in. Sometimes it takes a while to have your spirits lifted. God Bless my husband for standing by me when I was tearful, frustrated and difficult at times. I am certain that I am not finished yet as well. New things keep coming up that I am not expecting, like stomach problems from Aspirin I assume. This too shall pass! At least I am getting around more now.

I am so happy that you have the wonderful supportive wife that you do! Glad she sees the light at the end of the tunnel too. She can encourage you along! And your BoneSmarties too!
 
So STILL WAITING on this company to send some one to take out my staples. My case worker says she may have to file a formal complaint at this point and get her manager involved. I just want to get them taken out.

Last hip I ended up waiting until two days before my follow up to have them removed. I was seeing the home health nurse one a week, but she said she had spoken to the doctor and they wanted to wait until 4 weeks to take them out. So this time I confirmed with th PA at my pre-op that it should be at 2 weeks. We made sure orders were written up. Can't remember if I mentioned that the home health company I used last time is not staffing Physical Therapist any more so we switched to this new company. We have already had the doctor send the orders a second time last week. So I am sitting around waiting for the phone to ring.

On the bright side, the hip feels pretty good. Sleeping a bit better since I am able to get on my side a little better. After doing doing some light cleaning/purging/re-organizing in the kitchen yesterday I got tired and ended up catching a 30 minute nap about the time that my family came home.
 
That's too bad about the staple removal. After my THR last year, mine were removed when I went for my two-week follow-up appointment to the surgeon's office. Hope yours get removed soon!

Glad your hip is doing well. Good on you for doing that bit of work in the kitchen, and I am sure your wife will appreciate it. Can't imagine my husband ever doing something like that!
 
Dear @gullimac, just read your progress reports and sorry to hear you've been going through a difficult low phase. But I am delighted to hear that with all this time for reflection you've made some decisions to make positive changes in your life re work.

Driving soon? That will make a world of difference!!

Frustrating about the lack of communication re staples. Those admin errors/oversights are so annoying and unnecessary.

Happy to hear your hip is doing well. Please be kind to yourself, rest as much as you can - anytime you sleep or lie down is your healing time. Don't get too ambitious with work in the house yet! I tackled some stuff in the garden a week ago, and paid the penalty - complete rest ever since, plus meds. (It was my poor old hip that suffered, my new one handled it well.) I just wanted to attend to all the neglect that has mounted up over the past 1.5 years.
 
Oh wow, that is frustrating about the staples. For my January 7 surgery I had to wait until February for my post op appointment. Well, when I went to that appointment my original surgeon was so disgusted that my hip was dislocated again that he threw up his hands and referred me to someone else. He didn't bother to remove the staples and I had to keep them until the first appointment with the new surgeon at the end of Feb. Those were the most painful staples I ever had removed. So definitely keep on them about getting it done.
 
So long story short on the staples. Apparently the person who does the scheduling for this company has been out due to illness. The replacement sat on my orders for two weeks and has know determined they do not have a nurse available in my area to send out. My doctor has said they will now take out the staples at my appointment on Wednesday. Annoying, but it is what it is.
 
Ahh, you made it through the holidays! Your doing great. Just catching up some. Sorry on the staples!! I had dissolving sutures, it was great, but I didn't know until the first OS visit lol! I'm about to hit 6 weeks! The changes are so fast. Hang in there. Now to catch up my thread!! Merry Christmas!!!


Sent from my iPhone using broken link removed: https://r.tapatalk.com/byo?rid=75543
 
Despite it being cold and rainy here (after a pretty significant drought) my hip has really felt good these past few days. I am walking better, getting up and down has been less of a chore, sitting in the car is more comfortable. I got out and did my first test drive this weekend. No problems. It did feel liberating to know I am no longer housebound.

This morning worked on cleaning up and reorganizing some things in the kitchen. Starting to think about the concepts of what I will do when I become a stay at home dad after the school year this year. With two young girls there is ALWAYS cleaning that can be done. My wife has already remarked that she knows we will save a ton of money with me doing the grocery shopping--she tends to buy way too much stuff and a fair amount just sits and takes up space. I think the biggest contribution will be doing the afternoon routine--pick up from school, get one to tutoring, working with homework, getting them ready for bed. It will certainly be a change being at home. Just have to get through about 6 months of work before it happens. Dreading going back to work, just thinking about it makes my blood pressure rise.

Still, in my mind, I have another 2-3 weeks of initial recovery and then the holidays before I dive back in to the job. I will be back at work full-time at 8 weeks out from surgery.
 
Back
Top Bottom