THR And now the healing begins

@Poodle3 Yes indeed I did. I stabilized my walker by setting the brakes to put my feet on while getting them up on the sofa, but I did it on my own - finally.

@Elf1 Another great thing to know about. I didn’t find the Purr-Fect brand, but I found a Yangbaga stainless steel long-handled scooper, a Yangbaga large stainless steel litter box. and a Purr-FECT large grey mat to go under the litter box. I like all three items much better than the ones I have. Thanks!!
 
Last edited:
Last night I asked about the womens soccer game and Anna laughed!! Of course it was the night before and I guess I slept right through it on lms
 
@skigirl I keep dozing off while just sitting here. I want to just to let myself sleep, but it is difficult to not try to stay awake.
 
I have been able to walk with just a cane today! I don’t think I’m ready to just use a cane all of the time since I am a bit light-headed occasionally, but I think I will be relatively soon. My BP was 97/56 when I left the hospital yesterday, and it was running a bit low after surgery, so I’m going to make certain that I have enough support while my BP stabilizes. Onward and upward!
 
Yes each little step matters now! The pt did not want to release me from the hospital! I just looked her in the eye and said ,”I’m going.” She did make me take a walker, sheguilt tripped my girls!

As soon as I got home I was at peace, but I have had a lot more pain than I did with the first hip. It is so sore at the incision site! I took one oxy last time this hip it is every four hours.
 
@skigirl Even though I’m having considerably less pain this time than with my first hip replacement, the after effects of the drug overdose by the nurse in the recovery room is taking its toll on me. I am having a very difficult time concentrating on anything. I think I am going to have to discuss this with Dr. Bradshaw. It is very difficult. I am grateful for not having as much pain, but I have to concentrate to do my work. This is not good.
 
Hello @wander03
Obviously I don’t know to what degree you’re having difficulty with concentration, but I experienced the same as have many others. I have noted on this forum several times over the years that I couldn't get through the Recovery Guidelines until I was a couple weeks post op! I’m not kidding. I’d start, read a little, realize I wasn’t absorbing anything, start over….SAME! I’d get frustrated and give up. I‘d also ask my husband the same question multiple times. It got to the point that I’d want to ask him something, but would wonder if I already asked him and forgotten what he said. It seriously concerned me. Then the fog slowly cleared, so try not to worry, but if this temporary inability to concentrate is effecting your work, you may have to ask for more time off.
 
Type the word -concentration- into the SEARCH at the top of the page and begin reading posts where the word was mentioned and you’ll find you’re in good company.
@wander03
 
@Layla I am having difficulty with simple things like reading an article or a book or watching a TV show, so it sounds similar to your situation. I’m not planning to go back to work for at least three or four weeks, but I was answering an email from Angel, with whom I work, today, and I had to start over repeatedly. I could not concentrate, but I also could not focus my eyes very well. I don’t recall this happening before, but I’ll ask Jennifer about it tomorrow; perhaps it did, and I just don’t remember it.

This is a thing I do. If things are going well in one area, I expect that to also be the case in other areas. I need to remember that I do that and slow down my expectations. Right now I’m going to brush my teeth and lay down using the Lounge Doctor for a while. I haven’t used it yet today because I was doing so well. That’s another thing that I tend to do; let up when things seem to be improving. I’ve had to read this text repeatedly to determine what I’ve said.

Thanks for the suggestion. I will do so. Over and out.
 
This is a thing I do. If things are going well in one area, I expect that to also be the case in other areas. I need to remember that I do that and slow down my expectations. Right now I’m going to brush my teeth and lay down using the Lounge Doctor for a while. I haven’t used it yet today because I was doing so well. That’s another thing that I tend to do; let up when things seem to be improving. I’ve had to read this text repeatedly to determine what I’ve said.
Realizing you’re doing this is the first step to correcting it. While I’ve only had one hip replaced, to date, I’m sure it’s difficult to deal with some of the temporary issues that didn't occur the first time around.

Your last sentence about reading your text repeatedly is also familiar from my recovery.
I rend to do this it if I‘m overtired in general. Remember, it’s only temporary.
 
Jennifer and Pete came down yesterday. Jennifer wanted me to ride with her to pick up our meal downtown. Easy peezy, right? And, to her credit, she said I didn’t have to, if I didn’t want to. But I’m used to doing whatever Jennifer wants to do. Later I agreed to ride to pick up my curbside order at Target. I did not realize what a toll just walking up and down the two steps coming up to my porch and one additional step up to the porch, then walking out to the vehicle could take. I was very tired yesterday evening, and my left lower leg and ankle were swollen considerably more than they had been. I am treating those problems with icing and the Lounge Doctor. I know they will abate with time. I now am determined not to do anything I think I will be better off not doing.

I had Jennifer take a photo of the severe bruising on my left leg. it is vicious! Jennifer said Dr. Bradshaw said my left hip was much worse than my right one, and my right one was really bad. He said the left hip was frozen in the socket; that he had a very difficult time getting the bone out of the socket. Perhaps all the bruising is because of his struggle to remove the hip. I’m still not having much pain in my hip, much like the recovery of my right hip. So I am grateful for that.

I had thought this recovery would be a breeze since I didn’t have the added challenge of completing the rehab of the knee, which is still stiff/tight after I’ve been on it a bit, BTW. The recovery from being overdosed with drugs in the recovery room has kept it from being a breeze, but all things considered, I suppose I am doing quite well.

I have no problem with needing to use a walker for a while longer when I’m in the house. Outside the house. i use a cane or walking stick. I’m not in a rush to do without them either. I did so well with my first hip, people seemed to expect me to be self sufficient right away. And I think I had the same expectation. I know I will eventually be able to walk without assistance, so slow and easy is now my motto.
 
Wander, I am sorry to be late to your recovery party!

You had a rugged start in the beginning but seem to be rallying already! Good for you!

You had mentioned a lack of concentration, I had that with both surgeries and found that watching old reruns was the best thing for me. Golden Girls, Medium and let's not forget Gunsmoke :horseriding:

I could doze off occasionally but still not really miss much.
 
Last edited:
Chris was here yesterday. He told me last Wednesday when he did the intake that he would be here 2X a week for four weeks, then one time a week for four weeks. I have had chats and phone conversations with him for a couple of days because he said Elite Health has determined that the most he can be here is once a week and someone else (Daniel if I will accept him) will be here the other time since two of their six clinicians are on vacation, and they are short handed. I am not satisfied with the situation, but I either accept it ir start al over with Mercy Physical Thrrapy, and I would rather not start over.

I am getting ready to re-read BoneSmart guidelines concerning icing and therapy. Chris said I am past the acute stage of healing and I should not ice more than 20 minutes every hour up to six times a day. He said icing more than that will paralyze the blood vessels in the area of the incision and create problems that he expounded upon.

When we did therapy, I said I don’t want to push with the therapy until my hip has tIme to heal more. He said the exercises he had me do will help with healing by activating the muscles. He had me do 10 heel lifts, 10 mini-squats (I just barely bent my knees), 10 marching (I just barely bent my knee), and 10 bend knee back (I did the minimum motion). Then he had me repeat the sequence. After I returned to my lift chair, he had me pull up my knees, with his assistance, and he tied a yellow flexible strip above my knees and had me pull my knees apart 10 times. I did the minimum stretch that I could. When he asked me to do it again, I reluctantly started to do so, but it did not feel comfortable, so I said I wasn’t going to do it again. He seemed a bit surprised but did not persist.

Daniel is supposed to be here tomorrow between 1 and 2. It should be interesting.
 
Hello and Happy Friday!
Daniel if I will accept him) will be here the other time since two of their six clinicians are on vacation, and they are short handed. I am not satisfied with the situation, but I either accept it ir start al over
Maybe you’ll like, Daniel, better than Chris. I’d give him a chance, you two may be a good match and work well together. :shrug:

Chris said I am past the acute stage of healing and I should not ice more than 20 minutes every hour up to six times a day. He said icing more than that will paralyze the blood vessels in the area of the incision and create problems that he expounded upon.
Haven’t heard this, but found this through researching awhile back -
Icing for up to twenty minutes only is what most of us have heard or been advised to do following an injury. Following joint replacement, ice is a critical part of pain management and should be used not only on the joint, but any surrounding areas of discomfort for as often and as long as you're comfortable doing so, always placing fabric between your skin and the ice source. Icing helps bring relief from the soft tissue trauma and internal swelling. Icing is a great natural pain reliever and best of all, it's free. While some care providers do put a maximum time on icing, others suggest you ice as often as you see fit.

Icing after therapy, exercises, or prolonged activity that challenge ROM and endurance should help ease any discomfort, or preventively keep pain at bay. You may find relief through icing for weeks to months post op.

I will add that in the early weeks, I iced often for long periods of time, basically every time I was sitting or lying down, which was pretty often early on.

I think you’re wise in not pushing yourself with PT. There is plenty of time for that later, if necessary. It’s your body, your call and if you’re uncomfortable doing something PT should respect that and back off. I will add that squats, marching and the stretchy bands are advised against in our literature. I’ll leave a link HERE


You‘ve been doing well since your first THR, follow your gut and listen to your body to maintain the steady progress you’re making and success you’re enjoying.
I hope you have a lovely weekend! :SUNsmile:
 
Give Daniel a chance, if for nothing more than having another set of eyes and skills on your case :ok: I had a Chris at first, then another fellow took over, and I liked him very much.
Your pt sounds very much like what mine was. My guy didn't demand any big movement with the mini squats or marching and never pushed me past my limits. In fact he wouldn't allow me to overdo it.
Instead of doing the band exercise, he had me do steps sideways, both directions, while using the kitchen countertop for support.
I remember feeling sort of silly, doing such simple moves, but then being able to do them well enough to earn a big smile and a "Good job!" made me realize that starting small and going slow was just the ticket. That thought helped very much later when doing other tasks proved difficult and frustrating.
I hope your new regimen works out well for you.
 
@Layla and @subie2021 I worked with Daniel for a while after I started with Elite. Chris had done the intake and said he doesn’t generally see patients every week for therapy. So, I worked with Daniel for a considerable length of time. We got along well during that time.

When Chris realized how complex my situation was with the overly aggressive therapy having complicated my recovery from the knee replacement, he decided to take over the therapy himself. I’m glad that he did because, as I’ve said before, I think that the intense tissue and muscle massage he did made my recovery from the right THR progress much smoother and shortened my recovery time. Now I think my therapy is more routine and does not require the same procedures that were needed before and after my right THR.

My daughter and I had been discussing my emotional fragility this morning and my tendency to dissolve in tears with little provocation. After our phone conversation, Jennifer sent me the link to an article, “Depression After Knee Replacement/Hip Replacement Surgery.” I was reading the article, which pretty much describes exactly where I am, when Daniel arrived. Jennifer had told me to tell Daniel right away about my tendency to dissolve in tears with little provocation. When Daniel came in, I told him what Jennifer said to tell him and that she said I need to be nice to him. He said he remembered my being tearful easily when we were working together before. He asked if Jennifer is the one he had met, and I confirmed that she is and that she liked him.

Daniel and I cleared the air about our phone conversation last week, what I heard him say, and why he said what he did. Then all was well. He is following the PT program that Chris has set up for me, as Chris directed him to do. When he mentioned clamshells, I said absolutely not at this time and referred to BoneSmart. I had also referred to BoneSmart concerning icing.

After we finished the exercises at the kitchen counter, I brought up the information by Josephine on my iPad. We went over the information and discussed it. Daniel basically agrees with every thing that Josephine wrote. He did say he thinks the PT depends on the person, but he said he agrees with just about everything she says not to do. That was refreshing. He still think it is better to cut back to 20-minute sessions of icing after the acute healing stage, but agrees with more intensive icing during the acute stage. So that is a difference in opinion.

While we were at the kitchen counter, Daniel said, “I’ve missed you.” I asked why. He said that I am “spicy” and that is a nice change. I said I don’t mean to be spicy. He said some patients are just mean. He indicated that I disagree with him, but I’m not mean in the way I do it. Perhaps “feisty“ is closer in meaning to what he was talking about. But at least he doesn’t think I’m a “mean” patient!

When I told Daniel I wished that I could get my iegs on the Lounge Doctor on my own, he asked me about using the leg lift. I said Chris had demonstrated it, but that I had not been successful. He handed me the leg lift, and I struggled. I was not successful in lifting my legs. He suggested that I angle my body differently and that I sit farther back on the sofa. I did as he said, and I was successful! I was a happy camper! Daniel observed that I had more difficulty getting my right leg up than my left. I agreed that was true. He asked if I had considered moving my head to the other end of the sofa. I said I had, but the end I am facing is where the TV is. :) No more need for discussion.

As things are now planned, I will see Chris on Monday, then Daniel on Thursday and the following Monday while Chris is out of town, then Chris on Thursday of next week. I’m fortunate to have two therapists who seem to be willing to work with me.

Onward and upward! I hope you have an enjoyable weekend.
 
@wander03 …. please let me reassure you that at no time will your blood vessels become “paralyzed” if you ice longer than 20 minutes at a time. It’s fine to ice for pain relief and comfort if it works for you. Let your body guide you. Just be sure to keep a towel between you and the ice source. Freezer burn on skin is a problem without this protection.
 
@Jamie Thanks! It’s good to know that will not be problems from icing extended periods of time. I always wrap the ice gel pad in a tea towel although my knitted pants would probably be sufficiently protective.
 
That sounds perfect. You should be just fine. It sounds like you have a great start to your recovery.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom