THR And now the healing begins

@Layla and @CricketHip and all: This is going to be a short post because the recovery this time has been considerably different than with that of my right hip. Right now, about 2:45 AM CDT, I am trying to keep from dozing off while a throat lozenge is dissolving so that I won’t have to remove the lozenge before it dissolves.

I woke up in recovery about 1:35 PM and was in my room, as I recall, before 2:00 PM. My back and leg were hurting in recovery. I needed for my body’s position to be slightly shifted, but they are not allowed to do so, so the nurse that was attending me kept shooting pain meds into my system to the point that she had reached the maximum allowed. I wish she had not done that. It did not do away with the pain and the drugs have stayed in my system for hours. It would have been better for the nurse to say that it would not be long before I would be moved to my room and ask if I could hold on for a while. But she apparently took what she thought was the easy way out and pumped me full of drugs that did not resolve the problem of my body needing to be shifted.

Jennifer asked the nurses in my room what drugs were used in the recovery room because I was absolutely miserable; nothing like I was after my other hip replacement surgery. They seemed to try to sidestep the issue, but Jennifer persisted, and they finally said fentanyl and dilaudid were used. Good grief! Talk about overkill! I’m glad they didn’t kill me! I did not start coming out from under the influence until about 5:00 PM. Sean, my son, came by about 5:30 after he got off work and stayed until about 6:40. I was still having difficulties when he arrived. Jennifer and Pete stayed until a bit after 7:00 because they were so concerned about my condition.

Since I rarely take medicine of any kind, apparently the drugs I was given hit me harder than they might hit someone else. Regardless of the reason, this has been a difficult 14 hours. I’m still not feeling very well, but I am alive. For that I am grateful.

It seems like I can’t do a short post. But the lozenge just finished dissolving, so I am going to try to go back to sleep and will post more tomorrow.
 
Last edited:
I’m sorry you struggled with a rough start. I hope after some sleep, your pain is well managed and you’re feeling much more clear headed. I was hoping you felt as good as last time. :sad: Let’s see what today brings…
Sending a hug. :console2:
@wander03
 
@Zoebichon, @Mojo333, and @Layla, I am doing somewhat better today. I had slept some early evening, before 10:30 PM, sporadically from then until I needed a pain pill around 12:00 AM, and a bit more before a throat lozenge around 2:30 AM. Then I slept from the time I posted here about 3:30 AM until 7:03 AM. So i slept quite a bit in spurts.

Jennifer said I am looking at the aftermath of my last surgery through rose-colored glasses; that it wasn’t all great. But all I have to do is read through what I posted last time and know that it lot less traumatic than this aftermath.

I did not consider the omelet to be edible this morning. Two bites and I pushed it aside. I ordered biscuits and gravy and a breakfast parfait in the wee hours of this morning. I’m glad I did after the omelet experience. Although the biscuit and gravy was cold, I ate about a third of it. However, the breakfast parfait was good, and I ate all of it. Yogurt with blueberries, strawberries, and granola. Oh well, I guess I needed a less idealistic experience this time. My experience this time seems closer to what many other people experience. And it seems that I will live through it. Yay!

I am attaching a video Jennifer took of me during my drug stupor yesterday afternoon. I particularly enjoy watching it on my iPad Pro because it is so much larger than on my iPhone, but I watched it on my iPhone the first couple of times. Laughter is good for the soul, so watching this video is good for my soul because I laugh uproariously every time I watch it. :rotfl::heehee::loll::snork: If you watch it, and I highly recommend that you do, be sure to turn up the sound as loud as you can get it. I did not speak very loudly.

I was able to do all of the exercises that Candice, the hospital physical therapist, asked me to do this morning. They were not rigorous in any way, so I was ok with them. it seemed to me they were to establish my ability to move well enough to do what is needed when I go home to recover.

So here is the video. Enjoy.
 
Well Hope you are feeling better soon, I hate those drugs as well. Fortunately I seem to tolerate them ok cause I haven't had nausea after anesthesia.
One day at a time, you know the drill.
All my best.
 
I’m glad to read you’re doing better today. It’s unfortunate when you have another recovery to compare your current one with and you’re feeling this one is more difficult. It may just be these first few days are a tad rough, then all will begin falling into place. Hopefully you’ll establish a routine, regain your appetite, sleep better and rest much easier at home. I didn’t see the video yet, just want to wish you safe travels home and a day much better than yesterday. :SUNsmile:
@wander03
 
@myglasshalffull The anesthesia was not a problem. It was the drugs I was unnecessarily given in the recovery room when my back was hurting. When Dr. Bradshaw’s PA came by today, she assured me that she will tell him about the drugs being administered unnecessary and excessively and said they will address the situation after the next surgery, which I think will be tomorrow.

@Layla At least, as Jennifer said, the difficult recovery didn’t happen after the first surgery. Had that happened, I would have been dreading this surgery instead of looking forward to it. I think I am doing well in getting over my reaction to the drugs. And I don’t think the situation with my breakfast food had to do with my appetite. I think it was poorly prepared. So I think everything is much better.

Considering the situation, I slept quite a bit last night, but it will be nice to be back in my lift chair at home. i haven’t slept in a bed since March 23 when I was here before, and I don’t plan to sleep anywhere except my lift chair for the next few weeks.

It’s a good thing I don’t mind looking a bit silly because I definitely do in the video. For me, the laughter is worth it.

I think every day for the rest of my life will be better than yesterday. At least, I certainly hope so.
 
Wande03; I also expected to have the same experience but have not! Apparently I got a femoral nerve block which has knocked out my quads! It is hard to lift my leg!! But things are getting better, just coming home last night made me feel better! Anna has been a good caretaker but I sent them off to the mall of America to do some shopping!! I got a lululemon gift card for Sophia!! They just texted and are Having a great time.

I am starting to feel better has a chat with my one step PT and he gave me some exercises. The PT in the hospital guilt tripped the girls to take the walker although I adamately did not want one. Now it is taking up a corner in my bedroom. Iam sleeping down stairs in the guest room! Thursday after Anna leaves I will go up the 14 steps to my room!
 
@skigirl You are one determined woman! In two days you plan to climb the 14 steps to your room. In a few days, I hope my operated-upon leg will feel better, but there is no way this woman will be climbing 14 steps in two days. You go girl! I’m quite certain that you will be in fighting mode in record time. You won’t have any competition from me, however. I will allow myself a couple of weeks of pampering. I think I deserve it.
 
@wander03 happy to see you back on the healing side. Its a shame about the extra meds, I was given some that did nothing for pain, made me nauseous and just loopy. Once I saw my OS and got that straightened out and sent home I started feeling so much better. It may still take you a few extra days as they did give you some heavy duty stuff and you've said you're not used to taking meds. Goid thing is its all temporary.
 
Oh Wander, I felt your disappointment that you didn’t get bread with your salad. You were so sad about that bread!

I also have 14 steps to get upstairs to my bedroom and shower. Although I climbed the little hospital steps just fine 2 hours after my surgery, when I got home that evening I stayed in a bed downstairs. One week later, PT had me climb the steps, hauling myself up using both hands on one railing. It was hard!

It wasn’t until 2 weeks after surgery that I tried the steps again and it was much easier. Finally a shower, instead of bathing wipes!

I’m glad you’re home and I hope you have some good bread!
 
I’m sorry to read about your rough start, but it is behind you now. I hope your trajectory will follow mine: hip 2 started worse but after that it was an easier recovery. I too had everything I needed downstairs and was in no rush to start climbing stairs. Take it easy and enjoy your well-deserved pampering.
 
i am doing soooo well this morning. I was able to clean Willabelle’s litter box last evening and to feed the deck cats this morning. I haven’t figured out how to bend over enough to pick up a water bowl for the cats. After a really rough start in the recovery room with the nurse that kept pumping drugs into me, it appears I am persevering.

I still have to heal, of course, but I think my attitude is even better than after the first hip. I just realized I doze off while just sitting, but what else do I have to do? I am very encouraged this morning. There is a bit of tension in my thigh, but no pain. Life is good, my friends. Now, I hope this feeling of wellness continues. I don’t want to be too cocky. Days four and five are still ahead, but I feel very hopeful. Since I keep dozing off, I think I will quit posting for now.

Have a great day!
 
Wonderful news! So happy to hear you’re doing well after the rough start.

Not sure if you’d be interested in this short term solution for tending to,Willabele, but it is something you could hold onto and possibly use at a later date. It’s called Graceful Pets Easy to Feed Pet Bowl - Link Here No bending necessary!
Hope today is a good one!
@wander03
 
@Layla Thank you! I am going to look up the Graceful Pets Easy to Feed Pet Bowl right now.
 
Tada! I got my legs up on the Lounge Doctor!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] And now the healing begins
    8DB1DA72-938A-4D64-9953-8623CE09645B.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 91
I love my Lounge Doctor, too! My legs are also up after my “big walk” outside!

Edited to add you can see our dreary Seattle weather. Summer never begins here until the day after 4th of July! Although we did get three gorgeous days after the coldest, wettest June!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] And now the healing begins
    1401EC7F-59B5-4DFA-AA67-66D32D67FBB4.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
@wander03 if you don't have a long handled scoop to clean the litter box I got one off of Amazon. Its called Purr-Fect Scooper and I love it! Been using it since my THR three years ago and its still holding up. Plus it helps so I'm not breathing in so much of the litter dust which sets my allergies off.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom