TKR And Now My LTKR Recovery Begins

Yep. Mine was like that - burning hot, though I never had much swelling. Just starting to feel normal temperature more the last two weeks (I'm 12 Wks TKR)! My incision remains a bit painful too, but much better finally this week!
...It's just started to cool down, but can still heat up if I do too much.
 
@Deniseb I'm glad you are doing so well. Good luck at PT tomorrow. You are doing awesome..
 
@Nelly You were 100# right!!! My PT said the pillow wedge is HORRIBLE! And I’ve been using it this past 5 nights!!!Now I’m so confused on how to elevate my leg..Can I put 1 rolled up towel under my ankle?Can I just lay in bed and ice my leg? I’m just super overwhelmed from PT today and finding out I’ve been elevating my leg wrong for past 5 days!
 
@Deniseb as much as I would like to know what I'm talking about, that was someone else on the wedge pillow. I googled best wedge pillow to TKR, that's what I'm doing for everything I need. At least you caught the issue now instead of later. I think if you turn the pillow around you can use it, just not with the wedge side. Now time to move forward. Besides the pillow how was PT?
 
I recommend the Lounge Doctor. I bit the bullet and purchased it from thegrommet.com. This leg rest is sized by height. I find it comfortable, but it did take a few sessions of elevating for me to get used to it.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Celle You were 100% right !Today at PT said the pillow wedge is horrible!!And I’ve been using it these past 5 nights!!Now I’m not sure how to elevate my leg when icing???Can I just roll a towel under my ankle?is this the correct Lounge Doctor?Im so overwhelmed from everything today
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] And Now My LTKR Recovery Begins
    79B7FAFA-89C4-44A0-9DB7-0170E15936DC.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 222
Last edited by a moderator:
@Nelly PT basically lectured me how horribly wrong I’ve been elevating my leg,And that it could stay messed up now!!!Im just feeling super sorry for myself at the moment...I’m going to order the Lounge Doctor, but it takes few days to get it...
 
Last edited by a moderator:
@Jewlz1 is this the correct lounge doctor?Theres so many different ones
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] And Now My LTKR Recovery Begins
    1CA175CD-B64A-4713-99C6-9CA672115065.png
    151.6 KB · Views: 214
Yes, it appears to be what BoneSmart recommends. I'm attaching a pic of the one I got from the grommet.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] And Now My LTKR Recovery Begins
    IMG_20200309_220131.jpg
    119.9 KB · Views: 240
@Deniseb you can't let this set you back otherwise it's going to get worse, he said it could stay messed up not that it will be.
 
@Deniseb I re-read your post on your PT. It's upsetting that he lectured you. To place a sense of unease on your mind is troubling too. They are supposed to be there to help us not scare us. Until you get your Lounge Doctor you could use some pillows. Check out the elevation articles.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, Denise, please don’t stress over the elevating issue. I doubt very much you did any damage using the wedge you did, it just wasn’t the best choice. The important thing is that you did elevate and that is good. :flwrysmile:

I did not have a Lounge Doctor, I used a different type of wedge that my hospital sent home with me, and while mine does give me a very slight gentle bend, less than the lounge dr, it has a different angle than the lounge dr. And, I did have a hard time being comfortable on it in the first 2 weeks as my leg was just so unhappy

You are going to find many different opinions about this recovery that will conflict with each other. Do what works for you.

Can I put 1 rolled up towel under my ankle?
I would not advise this as it will keep your leg too straight and cause pain. This is often what PTs tells us to do to encourage extension, but it’s not the best way to do that. Your extension will come along naturally as you heal, and just walking, as you are able, will take care of it.

Try to relax, everything at this stage is overwhelming. Just try to be as comfortable as you can. :console2:
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Denise, I prefer to think your PT was trying to drive a message home, albeit clumsily, and please don't assume you've messed up your chances of good recovery. Possibly a minor setback (hug). My OH fell at home on the 3rd day after surgery. We were concerned it may have affected the knee (LTKR) but it hasn't. Don't let the PT's words get to you. It's your recovery, not theirs. My OH is only using pillows and cushions stacked and graduated but is achieving good results. It's great to have the right equipment if you can but not essential. A healthy frame of mind is just as important. I suspect you're actually doing better than you realise.
 
is this the correct lounge doctor?Theres so many different ones
That's the one I used. As long as your feet are above your heart and there's a slight bend in the knee, the elevator is fine.
 
Jockette, thank you so much!!! jwelz1, loveablenut, roygardiner, sistersinhim , You guys have all helped me immensely! Yesterday was just a bad day for me..Today is much better,after reading all of your messages THANK YOU
 
Yesterday was a bad day..I think I cried all day☹️But today I realized,It made me feel better just to get it out....I have a question for everybody,How long does it take to get appetite back?Today is 9th day of my recovery...And alls I can tolerate is toast,crackers and Cream of wheat....Thank the Lord for Cream of Wheat!!!
 
How long does it take to get appetite back?
It can take awhile. Eat very small meals/snacks throughout the day and be sure and keep hydrated.

Hope you have a better day today!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom