TKR And Now My LTKR Recovery Begins

Hi @Deniseb ! It took me awhile to get my appetite back. I was hungry but then when it came time to eat my appetite escaped me! It was frustrating because I love to eat! You will get thru this part of the TKR journey, too!
 
@Jewlz1 Thank you!!I never thought in a million years I wouldn’t want coffee....But NO to coffee too!!!
 
I existed on protein drinks, dark chocolate kisses and deluxe mixed nuts for at least a month. I had all these nice meals in the freezer, but wanted nothing to do with them. I loved toss salads, but had no desire for them. Eventually, I started eating normally again.
 
I never lost my appetite, but my tastes changed, I'd stocked up on a lot of food before surgery and found myself not wanting to eat any of my normal things. I love salads and I just could not even attempt to eat them, they made me super nauseous. I am normally low/carb and gluten free, but I existed off whole wheat toast with peanut butter and honey and popcorn for like a month or more.
 
I found I ate much smaller quantities, but otherwise ate as normal. The only time I didn't was when I was on oramorph or Oxycodone, which made me feel so nauseous I hardly ate a thing, couldn't even face a cup of tea.
 
Hi Denise.. don’t get discourage.. I know that’s the hardest thing to not do.. I just went through a few days of depression myself and my wife called in the big guns... my granddaughte! Just watching her 13 months of energy’s running around the living room and all excited about grampa new toys (WalKerr, ice machine, breathing device etc...) she was so excited! It really cheered me up. Your knee will heal! Don’t let anyone tell you anything different and some folks take longer than others.. so you lay back and pile up a bunch of pillows under your leg (get it as straight as possible) as high as you can above your heart and put in the ice and relax. This isn’t my first rodeo and all mine have acted differently. So be encouraged and ride the wave.. we will be outside playing again soon!
 
Awww Thank you everybody!!!Its so good to know I’m not alone!!!
 
Definitely not alone. My hubby's appetite has been very hit and miss since his op too. We have a freezer full of food, but right now he's preferring Magnum Lollies, occasional porridge and the odd pie.
 
Today is 2 weeks and 2 days since my surgery...Went for my post op appointment,and Dr said everything is looking great!I’m feeling sooooo much better..Finally able to eat normal food again!Also gotten to the point where I keep on “forgetting “ my walker ...
 
Finally able to eat normal food again!Also gotten to the point where I keep on “forgetting “ my walker ...
You are doing so well! Just be careful walking without the walker! Great that you are finally eating better.
 
I'm really happy to hear you're doing so well!
 
Today I am 4 weeks post op,But I have question ..Should I continue going to physical therapy with this Virus going on???I’m soooo worried about going “out”....But also worried about missing physical therapy....
 
You will be fine doing your own PT at home, at your own pace. Gentle bends, comfortable walks, and doing things in your normal day as able, is really all the “PT” you need. I call this “natural PT.”


Regaining our ROM is more about Time than repetitions of a list of exercises.

Time to recover.
Time for pain and swelling to settle.
Time to heal.

Our range of motion is right there all
along just waiting for that to happen so it can show itself.

In the general run of things, it doesn't need to be fought for, worked hard for or worried about. It will happen. Normal activity is the key to success.
 
I am really surprised your PT hasn't cancelled all your appointments. Your's is definitely in the minority. I would not go anyway until the social distancing of 6' is lifted, which has been extended til April 30, 2020. You don't need it anyway. Everything you do in your daily activities is still PT.

Please stay home and well.
 
My outpatient PT cancelled all visits & set me up with home health care. She came for 1 visit which was helpful as she gave me pointers for things to make life easier. As I thought about the risk of someone coming in, I canceled other visits. I’m 2 weeks out from bilateral TKR & suspect I’m doing as well as I am because I’m doing this the bone smart way. I can do 10 backward & 10 forward rotations on exercise bike , managed to empty & reload the dishwasher & am doing well walking around the house.
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom