Guest viewing is limited

TKR And Now My LTKR Recovery Begins

Don't be surprised if your swelling and pain increasing once you get home. Just the stress of leaving the hospital, riding in a car, walking into the house, all these will anger your knee. Plan to just ice and elevate the whole rest of the day except for bathroom visits and very short walks every couple of hours or so. You and your knee will need lots of rest!
 
@Deniseb I too felt like I’ve been a big baby over the last few weeks. Tears of frustration, pain, wanting my life back again, on and on. It is a tough road but everyone I’ve ever met who had a total knee has not regretted it. So that’s why we’re all doing what we’re doing to get a better quality of life. Hang in there girl, We can all do this together.
 
So many times a day I question why I did this. I'm very bummed out. Constantly uncomfortable with frequent stabs of pain. Better than the first week tho. Just try to be patient....from what I read this is a long process.
 
@Deniseb Glad you are through one of the worst parts of recovery! You will still have the "why the Hell did I agree to have this done" days..... and will this recovery EVER end days.....

The good news as I am sure you have read here, those times / days will pass. The days of never ending bone on bone pain are gone. You do have the short term bump in: increased swelling, the dreaded Zingers, and the random what is this new pian, and should I be worried about it...???

All this new found fun will be followed by decreased daily pain, and increased mobility.!!
Then one wonderful day you will be VERY happy you said yes to your knee replacement!!!

I am now in my countdown to my 2nd. PKR/TKR. I am not scheduled till July 1st. Every day I am reminded why I had the first PKR done. I wish the 2nd was scheduled for tomorrow!!!!
On to recovery!!!!! hang in there!!!
 
Is it normal for knee to feel “warm”?
 
Yes, very warm. All those soft tissues have been inflamed and I think ( but not being a medic I can't say for sure) that heat is generated as the tissues repair. My knee was warm for a few weeks. It's just started to cool down, but can still heat up if I do too much. Plenty of ice applied frequently for up to an hour helped me - not next to the skin though!
 
@Deniseb how are you doing? I was wondering if you were using a recliner to rest in or just your bed? I'm debating on what to do.
 
@Deniseb how are you doing? I was wondering if you were using a recliner to rest in or just your bed? I'm debating on what to do.
@Nelly - I chose to do a lift recliner. I purchased from Amazon and I am so glad I did. It has been a life saver. I am normally a side sleeper and am still able to get a some decent sleep in the recliner. It has worked well for my recovery.
 
After I had a skiing accident that left me with a severely fractured femur and 4 fractured vertebrae I took a gravity lounge chair (camping chair) and placed that in the living room with pillows and blankets. Best chair ever! I found it to be a great way to elevate the legs and provide lower back support as well. I plan to have the same set up when I return home post BTKR this year. I only used this for day time use and at night I went into the bed. I recently purchased a double twin XL adjustable frame with separate controls so I think I will be much more comfortable than with a standard mattress.
 
@Nelly Hi ! I ordered off of amazon a “pillow wedge”..it is AWESOME...I have my leg on that constantly with ice packs..The only time I’m off the pillow wedge, is when I’m using CPM machine..And I feel great!
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] And Now My LTKR Recovery Begins
    9FF2791D-92C8-4B8A-9B9E-09A72747897E.png
    115.7 KB · Views: 214
Hi everybody..Just wanted to let everybody know,I’m doing great!Much more better then I expected...Just a lot of sleeping and being on my CPM Machine...I go to my first PT appointment on Monday...
 
@Lindylee Thank you so much!!!I’m sooo sorry I took so long to reply..Just sleeping a lot!
 
Sleep on Deniseb! Get ya some sleep wherever and whenever you can! Cause sometimes you cannot get any. Glad you are doing pretty good.
 
So pleased you're doing well. :yes!:. THe pillow wedge sounds great
 
@Nelly Hi ! I ordered off of amazon a “pillow wedge”..it is AWESOME...I have my leg on that constantly with ice packs..The only time I’m off the pillow wedge, is when I’m using CPM machine..And I feel great!
@Deniseb - I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but that pillow wedge is not one that we recommend, because it keeps your knee bent too much.
Capture.JPG

See how the model has to cross her ankles to straighten her knee a bit.
Doing that is, in itself, increasing the risk of getting a deep vein thrombosis (DVT) as well.

If you want to continue to use it, please put a pillow lengthwise on the top, flat portion, so that your knees are straighter.

The model that we recommend is the Lounge Doctor:
1583620203688.png


If you decide to order it, please use the link I provided as the company gives a donation to BoneSmart for each purchase.

You may find this article helpful:
Elevation: the do's and dont's
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom