Guest viewing is limited

TKR Amazingly better experience with knee #2!

Oops! Awake at night and not remembering to explain... the OverDidItClub! Darn! Just did too much for my poor baby knee!
 
It is way too early for you to be using gym machines. It seems too many PTs really don’t understand this recovery and just what was done during the surgery.

 
Over Did It Club! Happens to all of us! You need a few days rest, Barbara! Those PT’s still don’t get it!
 
And, I’ll get it as We’d. Is my last PT at the surgery center as my regular goid PT is back on Monday from rafting the Grand Canyon. I told her to look for Condors!
 
Wow, although you over did it, I am amazed at what you can do plus your distance walking outdoors at just a couple weeks post surgery. In an earlier post, you mentioned about transitioning from crutches to a cane (I'm also amazed you can use crutches ~ I haven't tried that but would have helped when I was non-weight bearing rather than hopping on one foot with a walker).

My p.t. recommended those hiking poles for me. I think the brand I have is "Urban Poling" and on the side it says "activator". There is a "lip" that is shaped for comfort where you place your hand and a "right" and a "left" pole. I will practise with both when I start walking or hiking outside but for around the house I just use the "right" pole so I can carry things in my left hand. I find it easy to use and helpful ~ I never could get used to a cane when I had my TKR 4 years ago; just used the walker for first few weeks and after that, unassisted. This femur injury is taking a lot longer.

I hope your knee will feel better after a good rest, but I'm still amazed at your ability. Riding the stationary bike for more than 8 minutes put me into the ODIC.:sad:
 
Well, I must admit: I’m amazed too! In 2016, what I can do now was not until about 12 weeks out. I truly can’t explain the reason for the difference either. I think between the good Lord above and more knowledgeable prep plus an improved surgeon’s technique?

I have Nordic Walking poles I should pull out! In fact, years ago, my husband and I were trained to teach Nordic Walking, which was/is quite popular in some European countries I understand. I ought to try them out! I used to whoosh down the bike path with those things! I walked a half marathon with them in our little group back in about 2006!

I have a strong walking background and a daily walk with my husband would range from 2-5 miles, usually along the river. Or we’d go up and hike in the Cascades..pre-leukemia and pre-owning our store, though...
 
Day 20 Post-op.
So, since I joined the ODIC (OverDidItClub) yesterday, by doing too much in the “shuttle”, the PT leg press machine that’s a recumbent, plus walked across the grocery store, plus stood to cook dinner... I’m analyzing today how to assist my sleeping, because that’s what suffers most. I was definitely dragging today! (I was so glad my friend’s set up Meal Train has been coming through with dinners!)

So, before bed I drank some Tulsi tea, an herb with sleep/relaxation properties, I took 2 of the 5 mg Melatonin tabs, had my 10pm Tylenol dose, have an ice pack on and another chillin’, took the sleep tincture... really rested today too.

I DID cancel my PT for tomorrow, too! It would be my last session with the PT there that I like, so I’m sad we won’t get an official send off, but my knee’s well-being is WAY more important! I was able to leave her a voice mail message, though, so, oh well! I explained that I had joined the famed ODIC, explained the term, chuckled with the associate, and explained I needed to opt out of the PT session because I felt my knee was too inflamed to go forward with PT tomorrow.

I would never have dug up the courage to opt out of PT without this group of supportive people though, so my knee and I thank you all!!
 
Last edited:
Well good for you in canceling! Most of us are so cowed by authority, especially medical authority, that we give up control of our lives. BoneSmart has really been a literal lifesaver! A good day’s rest should do the trick for you, Barbara.
 
Good for you listening to your body, and canceling p.t. It sounds like you have all the knowledge to rehab on your own at home. :SUNsmile:
 
Standing can be one of the toughest things on your new knee for quite a while. I'm not sure what kind of leg press you're talking about but that sounds a bit too stressful at this stage.
 
Well, tonight I joined the ODIC! Saw a different PT yesterday, as my usual one there at the surgery center was away to attend her son’s college graduation. Basically, the sub had me do about 5 minutes on the recumbent stepper, then about 20+ minutes on the “shuttle”, a reclining leg press machine. But 20 minutes was too much!
Now, Barbara, you know better than that! Good that you realized what caused your extra pain and that it's getting better.
I DID cancel my PT for tomorrow, too! It would be my last session with the PT there that I like, so I’m sad we won’t get an official send off, but my knee’s well-being is WAY more important!
Good for you and so true, your knee is what is important!
 
Welcome to the club. Today my physical therapist told me chill and do my exercises/ one mile walk every other day, instead of everyday. And I was feeling so proud of all my efforts.
 
Haha, SistersinHim, I DO know better, but I “could” do it and was just kinda plowing away, but hadn’t really realized the PT was otherwise occupied and paying no attention. Once I realized that, I said I better stop! But, i learned that yes, I’m pretty strong, so sometimes I can do what I ought not!

A good lesson learned though, as it set me back to only icing and elevating for 3 whole days! My right leg hadn’t been doing it’s share of work in getting me around, so it’s much weaker and the solid left leg was doing the work til I realized it and tried recruiting the right leg more.

I got a short, bench-decorated walk along the river & Delta Ponds today, just 0.2 miles to bench #2 from bench #1, then back after a break, while Dan and our friend walked further on to bench #3 another 0.2 miles farther. It’s a great path to use to gradually step up one’s miles and strength!

A tad achey tonight but iced when got home and will ice again as I turn in soon. Watched granddaughter’s gymnastics competition from Vancouver online while I iced...
 
I had to cancel the rest of my PT. They started me on 2 machines and ODIC. So mad, just should have known. The problem is it doesn’t hurt when I’m doing it so you think it’s fine. Such a fine line to figure out. But my flexion was decreasing. So I just decided I have to wait this out till I feel I have enough improvement with flexion to know that things will actually get better. So it is certainly a complicated process. I think it’s because we like to be in control but seems like the knee is in control:rotfl:
 
Mar, :censored: these machines so early in recovery! You were very wise to cancel PT and you need to refuse these machines going forward! Remember, it’s your knee and you are in control. Gentle stretching is all you need at this point.
BBCG, at least you learned your lesson :heehee:.
 
I had to cancel the rest of my PT. They started me on 2 machines and ODIC. So mad, just should have known. The problem is it doesn’t hurt when I’m doing it so you think it’s fine. ...... So it is certainly a complicated process. I think it’s because we like to be in control but seems like the knee is in control:rotfl:

Indeed, Mar! It IS hard to know what seems doable but is inadvisable! I guess that’s the crux of many things, if I stop to think about it.

Just got back from a lovely walk! My yoga-teacher friend and MealTrain originator came over, learned to drive our electric car, we drove down to the river path and walked. I did the 0.2 bench-2-bench first leg and rested there while my husband and friend walked further... Now, my spouse IS a talker! So they talked and walked along, past the third bench, to behind the senior living center, before they turned around. But, when Dan talks, it’s nearly impossible for him to not use his hands! But, he’s pushing his walker, though... so has to stop while he’s talking... you can tell where I’m going, right? I waited, enjoyed the sun and the breeze, did my leg lifts from bench seat, then got bored. Walked over to check the far pond and the beaver dam, now very exposed by the unusually low water levels. My knee doesn't like being hot, so I thought I’d see if there was a shady one of the concrete buttresses (~3’ high, 6’ long, 2’ wide) I could sit on, farther along the path. Found one, sat there a bit so knee was happier. They still weren’t in view yet, so I still felt fine so I figured I’d walk that next 0.2 Mike’s to the next bench. Did that, whilst stopping to pet cute dogs, cheer on kiddos riding bikes with training wheels, etc. Got to that bench, still no sign of ‘em! Rested in the shade listening to the songs of Black-headed Grosbeaks, geese chiding their offspring, watched the Turkey vultures’ shadows play on the dappled leaves... just wonderful being out there! Restorative!

Finally, there they came! So we walked back to the car so our friend could get home to her Swedish fiddle workshop online!

I went 0.9 mikes today! And it didn’t hurt at all, I was using muscles that had languished the way they ought to be used so, we’ll see! I came home and iced the leg, and will do so afdd as I’m in a little while! Will let you all know how I do later, too! This isn’t a long walk by my own old standards; I regularly walked 1-3 miles a day...
 
Wow, Barbara, good for you. Hope you don’t suffer any ill effects from your nearly mile walk. Even at 7 1/2 weeks not sure I could do that.
 
Yes, SisterPat! I will keep you all informed! So far, so good! Icing done, lunch done, now to modify an ad and send it to my crew to dissect in case it’s not perfect yet!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom