Guest viewing is limited

TKR Amazingly better experience with knee #2!

That sounds like a lovely walk. I walked along the lake yesterday, not much. Saying farewell to my grandson who is moving to Hawaii. So envious, lol. I should have had this surgery a couple of months ago so I could be enjoying the springtime. I struggled to book it after experiencing a rather slow progressing RTKR. Waited 8 years, even though it was as bad as the first in x-rays for some reason just didn’t experience the day to day pain. Starting to fear now that this is going to be a repeat of that recovery.
Just getting so anxious to tend to my yard but know I must be patient. Sometimes I fear I’m not doing enough, wish it was easy to figure out the right amount! I just feel guilty watching my husband do everything. I have started cooking as that is definitely not his strong suit, lol!
 
Oh, my yard is a total mess! I thought I had a crew lined up...but no shows!

Oh well, I’ve got a wheeled, sit-on cart I got for Christmas that I just need to put together then I can get at it...in a month or two! When I can be out there a while!

It is my experience that the best way to move through this recovery is to do teensy bits, regularly, daily, teensy things like stretches, short walks outside in a lovely place, practicing moving through the ideal range of motion as soon as you are able to do that, light, very gentle exercises, do nothing fast, move like a sloth, not a monkey! And listen to your knee, become a student of its messages to you. The more I listen, the better I do, in teensy steps. Overdoing makes me go backwards, so discovering the edge of enough and too much is golden...and I’m still looking!
 
29 days out from TKR#2!
I realize I’ve not written on my own page much, so I oughta check back in here!

Had my 2nd session with my normal PT, trained in the Bonesmart way to a degree! She has developed some good ways to help increase my ROM sunce I won’t let her push! Devised one yesterday using my crutch to aid in gentle stretching bends, came up with a leg-up-on-the-wall passive bend routine, and measured my ROM at 95 but Extension only at 17. So, I’ll work on passive extensions, resisting allowing my own hand to press down on my knee, to strengthen the quads a bit gently, etc.

Ordered a compression stockinette after a wonderful lymphatic massage to help reduce the internal swelling, so I’m hoping that helps, too. I had a lot of swelling last TKR too, which definitely limited my progress a lot!

We’ve been having lots of rain so haven’t gotten as many walks in this week so today are looking for some plants for our yard so will be doing my walking in nurseries I think!

Plan to walk our block with my husband on his walker, later, so that will be another 0.5 miles to get me closer to a mile.

Will probably try getting in the car to see if I have enough bend to, at least, back out the driveway and drive back in, too... next up, driving around the block to see how well that works!

Am still elevating my leg on my recliner, so not above my heart, often during the day then at night above my heart by using the bed raising option, but have been able to prep food for about a half hour thus far. So, once I can drive, I can probably begin cooking again, though relying on some pre-made foods. Am now usually only icing after I tackle a more challenging new length of activity or activity thus far...

I’m able to limp about the house some without crutch or cane, but it ain’t “purty” yet! Once my shoulder gets feeling better I think I’ll be fine with my recently-ordered hummingbird cane! I did drag out the ridiculously-heavy yard debris trash tote last night, though! The thing is about 4 1/2’ tall, and had all the grass cuttings in it plus the turf cut out when I had 4 new baby plants planted... Dragged it one foot at a time, left crutch back , then pull tote back, repeat... down the 25’ curved driveway... glad it wasn’t my old steep driveway!

Plan to get the box with my rolling garden cart onto the back patio today so I can assemble it, making it much easier to get at some of the more dastardly weeds! It was a Christmas gift from my sister before we even thought I’d be able to get my new knee this year!

I see my OS for a 6-week follow up on June 7, so we can see how my bend is then... I know he'll act all worried if I’m not at 120 degrees, but we may just have to give this knee more time! And that’s a good thing!
 
Last edited:
Sounds like your doing fine. I see my OS on the 8th for my 6 wk check up. I can’t imagine what he is going to say as my flexion was just 60 degrees 2 days ago, lol. I’m sure I’ll hear something about the dreaded MUA. I will for sure ask for more time before we even begin to think about that. I also had a lot of swelling last time and now this time. Today I went to PT and all he did was massage my leg. But he said he thought he had me to almost 90 degrees though he didn’t measure but it sure looked close. It is amazing to me how much that massage has helped. But will see today if it was too much massage. His hands were not quite as gentle as the woman’s on Wednesday, lol. A little worried as I suppose that can be over done as well. Well prayers in time we both get to great results once we’re healed.
 
@BBCG I enjoyed your update. Sounds like you are doing great. Your PT sounds fabulous. Keep us updated.
 
ROM at 95 but Extension only at 17
I see my OS fir a 6-week follow up on June 7, so we can see how my bend is then... I know he'll act all worried if I’m not at 120 degrees, but we may just have to give this knee more time!
Most surgeons expect 90 degrees by 6 weeks and your flexion is 95, so you're fine with that. If your surgeon is concerned, he's just being rather impatient.

There's no need to worry and no need to rush, since ROM can continue to increase for at least a year post-op.

ROM consists of two actions - Flexion (bending) and extension (straightening).
I’m able to limp about the house some without crutch or cane, but it ain’t “purty” yet!
It sounds as if you need to keep using a crutch or a stick until you can walk without limping.

I did drag out the ridiculously-heavy yard debris trash tote last night, though! The thing is about 4 1/2’ tall, and had all the grass cuttings in it plus the turf cut out when I had 4 new baby plants planted... Dragged it one foot at a time, left crutch back , then pull tote back, repeat... down the 25’ curved driveway.
I understand your circumstances, but I think that counts as "too much, too soon". I hope you don't have to do it again for some time.
 
Indeed, I usually don’t have as heavily loaded a yard debris tote! I had someone plant some plants for me since that’s not yet in my lumpy wheelhouse yet! So, she dumped the removed sod and some wedded messy things, but my lawn guy had filled it filler than usual too. I actually did fine, as I only scootched it a foot at a time, baby steps, so no right knee had to be challenged... it probably looked really awkward, but hey! It worked and it didn’t hurt!
 
So, today is my ONE MONTH new right knee-day! And....drum roll... I DROVE today and it was easy!

All I needed to do was lift my right leg into the car the first time (but did it without assist thereafter) and tilt my seat down a bit in the front. I felt some slightly uncomfortable pressure in the back of my thigh (maybe where the tourniquet was?) initially, then remembered my Kona EV has a driver seat that adjusts a bunch of ways, so one or two clicks lowered it enough to still work for my visibility plus for my leg’s comfort...

So, now I can get where I want when I want! Not that I minded my trusty friend and chauffeur’s able assistance, though... I can drive us to our favorite walking spot along the river again... run to the grocery store, maybe even take my granddaughter to gymnastics again when needed!

I took some preemptive measures, though, which include massaging the area around my incision with a locally-produced herbal/CBD salve to loosen up the stretchy tight feeling before going.

And I’ve been doing passive bending stretching exercises my PT suggested. I put my crutch on the floor, bottom end up and shoulder end down, place the ball of my foot on the hand hold crosspiece, then position the crutch angled slightly away from my knee... then the action is that I angle the crutch toward me gently, very gently!! It’s a nice stretch and I hold it in the stretched position for a count of ten then repeat for a total of 5 times.

Oh, just to help myself remember, or for others later: I’m now taking only Tylenol (1000 mg) 3 times a day, every 8 hours. Starting on Thursday, I kept forgetting to take the pills, so gradually lengthened the time between doses. And I’m usually only icing once a day, often after I’ve done something somewhat challenging...
 
@BBCG sometimes we just don't have a choice, right? Sounds like you were careful. By the time I am ready to get back into my yard, it will be hot and humid here with pesky gnats all around.
 
Ah, yes: I remember pesky humidity and garden critters Back East like the disliked chiggers! Ick! Hated those things as a kid because I was always climbing, looking closely at bugs on the ground and ON the ground! Do you have a bunch of cicadas there where you are this year?

I think I’m going to go out on my patio and start assembling my garden sitting/rolling cart today, so I can tackle some weeding urgencies!
 
Barbara, congratulations on your driving outing. My OS would not let me drive after my RTKR for 6 weeks. I don’t think I actually got behind the wheel till about 8 weeks - just in time for my other TKR :banghead: . But I am fortunate to have someone to drive me. Don’t let the newfound freedom make you take any chances!
 
I like the head-pounding emoticon!

I’m being cautious and careful driving, and for me, once I was off the Tramadol, the option to drive again was up to me. I think state law dictates no driving until one is off the opioids, if I’m not mistaken?

I just returned from the grocery store, however, and that was waaay worse! Not enough staff on hand, my error for going at a busy time of day, and had to wait forever for a really slooow sandwich maker to make 2 sandwiches while I had to stand. I can’t stand to stand! It’s the pits! So, I left and came back: still on sandwich #1. Left and did other shopping, came back: starting sandwich #2!

But I’m icing now, explained when it was my turn that I had to move and could not stand due to pain so I would be right back, got my husband’s sandwich fixings and then got in a no-line line to check out!

Lesson learned: go mid morning when no one else is there!
 
Last edited:
Those grocery excursions can really take a toll! I did most of my shopping at my local Target, which has a decent sized grocery section, and it’s a smaller store and less walking, than Walmart or a regular grocery store.
 
I hear ya about standing. I've tried to do my chores in stages but pay for it when I don't. Seems to be 45 minutes it takes me to make lunch and dinner plus preparing the dog's food. Find that I can do my old back exercise, flat on back on bed and pull knees to my chest ~ seems to help. Hope you're feeling better. Good for you doing a grocery shopping and driving so soon.:cheers:
 
Since the pandemic, I order my groceries on line, go pick it up, and bring it home! Love not going in!!
 
That’s what happened to me a the grocery store. It was so crazy busy that I knew I shouldn’t be up so long so I finally went to the pharmacy and sat in a chair. Then my husband was to pick up 2 cards and then go check out. It took 1/2 hour till he got back. Just shouldn’t take that long:hissy:. That set me back a good 3-4 days! I thought about Walmart and ordering but I needed some cards and I thought how long can this take. Lesson learned:groan:
 
Marycool, I do the same thing! It’s a great way to shop. Eliminates all the impulse buying, too :heehee: .
Mar, glad you learned your lesson. Recovery is just a slow process.
 
Oh, my yard is a total mess! I thought I had a crew lined up...but no shows!
I have a 24x24 foot brick patio that the grass and weeds loved to grow up between them. After about a month I couldn't stand it anymore so I went out and pulled for about 15 minutes then rested for an hour that first day. The second day I did the same thing twice. Listening to my knee kept the swelling and pain lower. The patio was a daily thing, but I was able to do it. That's what counted!
I DROVE today and it was easy!
Yay, freedom. I remember how thrilled I was when I could finally drive again. I was released to drive at 6 weeks but didn't feel secure enough to try until my 7th. What a happy day that was. I also used Walmart's pick up service during the pandemic. Too bad they didn't have it during my recovery. That standing in line is awful. I would end up walking in place to help relieve some of the discomfort.
 
Marycool, this store offers no such options, sadly! It’s a local chain and they don’t allow outfits like Doordash or anyone but the shopper buy things there, so it has been an issue! My husband said, “What about the mobility carts you can drive?” So I called, and sure enough, they DO have them! So I just might do that next time!!

I do my non-perishable shopping at Target, though, as I can pre-order online then just pull up and they bring things out to the car. I’ve done that throughout the pandemic, but their grocery section is pretty teensy, and they don’t carry some of the basics we use, so I’ve had to continue shopping at the grocery store if I want our usual items...almond milk, organic berries, etc.
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom