Lounge Doctor

TKR Amazingly better experience with knee #2!

OP
OP
BBCG

BBCG

FORUM ADVISOR
Forum Advisor
Country
United States United States
Are you still doing Pilates? Do you do Pilates on a reformer or an on the floor class?
I am considering calling our local studio to see if the owner thinks Pilates would strengthen my leg and baby knee
I am 3 months post TKR
Currently I do Chair Yoga, Silver Sneakers total body workout and a Silver and Fit program which is mainly weights and some easy boxing
Since I still have numbness in my knee; I am reluctant to kneel
Thank You
Hi LadyJane5,

I'm so sorry I didn't get back over to answer this!

I do Pilates in an upstairs studio, which gives me feedback each week for how I'm improving, as going up the steps is a good clue! And, the person conducting the class has now, due to Covid, just one person at a time. I typically do it weekly, although she has 3 little kids so sometimes we miss a week. There is another person who uses the studio too, and I've worked with both of them.

There are several pieces of apparatus in the room, so we use them all! I did Pilates to prepare for TKR #1 and #2, plus started back after both within about 7 weeks, starting back slowly, as the knee healed and got stronger, we increased types of good stresses on it to strengthen it. I'm gaining strength and using heavier stresses/weights now and began doing so, rather than just stretching and being gentle once I was past about 3 months... I do still have some numbness in my knee but I can kneel on it, and do kneel on the older new knee. I fact, our new puppy tripped me yesterday and I did kneel on the new knee, if only briefly as I rolled over on the grass! Pulled some rib intracostal muscles so am sore, but still fine! Knee did fine!

I really have found Pilates to be very helpful, gentle and gradually increasing my strength and ability to use my body fully. I really appreciate the two teachers Ive seen as they are very intuitive, so work very much individually with my body... It isn't cheap, first of all, and I'm fortunate to be able to do it, but I don't do other exercise that costs me much money, and since this seems to be so helpful, I continue doing it. I think I'll stay upright in better shape longer because of it!

New

OneStep App

BoneSmart #1 Best Blog

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
BoneSmarties
Latest member
Panda1
Recent bookmarks

Top Bottom