Guest viewing is limited

TKR Amazingly better experience with knee #2!

Are you still doing Pilates? Do you do Pilates on a reformer or an on the floor class?
I am considering calling our local studio to see if the owner thinks Pilates would strengthen my leg and baby knee
I am 3 months post TKR
Currently I do Chair Yoga, Silver Sneakers total body workout and a Silver and Fit program which is mainly weights and some easy boxing
Since I still have numbness in my knee; I am reluctant to kneel
Thank You

Hi LadyJane5,

I'm so sorry I didn't get back over to answer this!

I do Pilates in an upstairs studio, which gives me feedback each week for how I'm improving, as going up the steps is a good clue! And, the person conducting the class has now, due to Covid, just one person at a time. I typically do it weekly, although she has 3 little kids so sometimes we miss a week. There is another person who uses the studio too, and I've worked with both of them.

There are several pieces of apparatus in the room, so we use them all! I did Pilates to prepare for TKR #1 and #2, plus started back after both within about 7 weeks, starting back slowly, as the knee healed and got stronger, we increased types of good stresses on it to strengthen it. I'm gaining strength and using heavier stresses/weights now and began doing so, rather than just stretching and being gentle once I was past about 3 months... I do still have some numbness in my knee but I can kneel on it, and do kneel on the older new knee. I fact, our new puppy tripped me yesterday and I did kneel on the new knee, if only briefly as I rolled over on the grass! Pulled some rib intracostal muscles so am sore, but still fine! Knee did fine!

I really have found Pilates to be very helpful, gentle and gradually increasing my strength and ability to use my body fully. I really appreciate the two teachers Ive seen as they are very intuitive, so work very much individually with my body... It isn't cheap, first of all, and I'm fortunate to be able to do it, but I don't do other exercise that costs me much money, and since this seems to be so helpful, I continue doing it. I think I'll stay upright in better shape longer because of it!
 
I just posted on Flutter1’s thread and realized today is my 5-month TKR anniversary!

I, too, rarely think about my new knees, and the only reminders are when I go up or down steps! I’m still a bit klutzy on those!
Ways to mark my progress include:
1. We just got a puppy a month ago, with walking daily required, leash pulling to coach to improve, and all of the amazing energy puppies have!

2. We are planning to open a 2nd store in the coming months and no way would I have anticipated having enough stamina for that without this TKR behind me! I will even be doing deliveries, carrying many 20# bird seed bags to customers’ doors, too! I had to stop doing that 7 months ago, pre-new knee…

3. Having my granddaughter, age 10 (high-energy gymnast!) and her puppy over to watch them while my daughter is at work (when my son-in-law is away for an important family service) would have been unthinkable!

4. I regularly walk 1-3 miles a day now, as long as the aforementioned puppy holds out! Walking him tires him enough that I can get some work done for our business later in the morning!

I dropped off a raised toilet seat I had purchased to someone else in town today, telling her about Bonesmart and encouraging her to contact me if and when she has questions, but to read your stories to educate herself!

I am SO glad I have my two new knees! I have longevity in my family abd if I make it as long, I’ll be able to do it upright and strong!

And thanks to Bonesmart, and the wonderful crew here, this time my recovery was so much faster and less painful!
 
What a great 5 month report, Barbara! I hope to be doing as well as you in 4 more months!
 
I bet you will be, Susie-Q! We’re here to cheer you on!
 
Great to read your report!
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom