TKR Amazingly better experience with knee #2!

for me, birdsong is my daily antidote to stress!
I can completely agree with you. When I'm feeling down or bad all I have to do is to listen to our beautiful feathered friends! I have 18 birdfeeders within sight of my recliner. I have dozens of different birds through the years come and visit them. The biggest problem is keeping the squirrels from eating the birdseed up.
 
Had some of the muscle-nerve twitchiness like last time, but now can solve that! A massage practitioner used some magnesium gel on my leg back then, and I bought one of the bottles and used some tonight. It seems to calm those twitches pretty quickly.
I’m interested in this as I am getting some of the muscle-nerve twitchiness in my new knee done on April 26th. Where are you massaging around the dressing? Can this be bought on Amazon?
 
Hi Mar, yes, it’s a too-big bottle for one person, really, but it’s by Ancient Minerals and comes in a gel (what I used) or a lotion. Easy to apply, I gently massaged it into the areas where my anterior tibialis muscle runs, down the front bone edge, opposite my calf, which corresponds to where the zingers and twitchiness were occurring. I can give you a link to a photo if that helps. But as long as I don’t deliberately mess with my wound dressing, I can smooth it on right next to the dressing, where it twitches...
Here is a link:


or on Amazon, here:
Amazon product ASIN B00JIN7DVY
As I had mentioned, the massage therapist who used it on me initially, gave a small squirt-worth to me 5 years ago that I used over the years, as the twitches recur periodically to me, probably when my body’s complement of magnesium runs low for some reason.

(Just for your info., I probably would get the lotion version next time, as the gel is a bit sticky afterwards, requiring an added hobble to the sink for a rinse off! Still using crutches over here!)

Let me know if you want more info., and there is a lot of interesting info on their website...

Hope it helps you if you decide to get some! It helps me very quickly...
 
Last edited:
Oh, Barbara, I hate to hear how difficult it was to get your pain meds. Too bad they couldn't have filled it at the hospital before you left. That's what I did. I know you were in agony before getting them in your system again. Thank God you're back on track now.

Now that you are home, you should be able to take care of your own needs and not have to wait for anyone to do the things you need. Just be sure you don't overdo and don't be surprised if your swelling increases for a few days. That's completely normal because of the added activity you'll be doing.

Yes; there ought to be a better way for that hospital-to-home transition to go! Other doctors offices transmit prescriptions directly to the pharmacy... wonder if there is some medical-legal explanation?

It is a topic I plan to mention when I reach back out to the Joint Program management group who asked for my input. (I was very vocal about my disappointing experiences 5 years ago, so I’m heartened by their request for input. I’m in the customer service world, so I’m hopeful it means they really are interested in improvement. There has been lots in the 5 year interval.)
 
for me, birdsong is my daily antidote to stress!
I can completely agree with you. When I'm feeling down or bad all I have to do is to listen to our beautiful feathered friends! I have 18 birdfeeders within sight of my recliner. I have dozens of different birds through the years come and visit them. The biggest problem is keeping the squirrels from eating the birdseed up.

Ah, yes! Those four-footed birdseed eaters! I raised one as a kiddo, so I do put out peanuts in shell early in the morning along my curving driveway. Got to do that for the first time post-surgery yesterday, in fact. The squirrels and crows chat about who deserves more as they partake!
 
So, in case it’s helpful later, at 3 days out, my swelling has increased as has bruising, including far up my inner thigh, behind my leg along my calf, and just below the dressing on the tibia, where I suspect the new metal knee extends down into my bone.
The skin is taut along the outside edge of my joint itself, where it caved in pre-surgically, as that was the collapsing side due to the arthritis, and it’s also quite tender there. I recall the tight band above the knee that developed around this time knee #1, but that hasn’t appeared yet.

For me right now, “too much” equals standing at the sink to clear up dishes, put a few away, then greet the dear friend who delivered some food! Standing isn’t my friend yet!

Spent time resting on the recliner, typing a bit trying to evaluate better, less-easily slipped-on bath/shower mats. Used crutches to try to make sticky air traps work on present mat...

Walked down 2 mini-steps to the utility room then into the garage; back up, then around the house probably a dozen times over the day.
 
Last edited:
Day 4 post-surgery: continued improvement with lessened pain, better gait when walking with crutches, still with initial pain and pressure sensitivity upon initial steps, still icing several long periods each day. Doing ankle pumps, trying heel slides but inside of knee quite swollen, so can’t really do yet... periodic deep stretches now feel great though.

Gorgeous day outside so wanted to try walking outside, but thought better of it just yet...kids on scooters sometimes don’t pay attention out there! Maybe go outside tomorrow? If not too sore after PT?

Helper/friend Sue left after staying for 3 nights to help me, which was wonderful!

Visit from Peter and Mia and puppy Sonja! Sonja now knows to jump up on chair to snuggle on left side, avoiding raised right healing side and she’s quite sweet and mellow when with me now. Mia and Peter brought cookies they made—yum! Kiddos and pup played in back yard a bit while Peter visited, so was short sweet visit... may ask if he can stop by on gymnastics days to move ice machine to help Dan not have to do...

Dan can help do most things except visual-needed tasks so still working on helping him do more...
 
So, report for day #5:
Had first PT visit with surgery center PT, as recommended by my usual PT and she was wonderful! No pressure to achieve unrealistic goals...although she said she was supposed to see that as our goal... she is fine with following my lead, aiding my increasing ROM, giving me some tips and methods to aid my increased movement. Her goal is to improve my movement, not that I achieve certain numbers or walk x number of miles a week. What a refreshing PT session, so similar to my regular PT! Gave me some new ideas for increasing ROM... by the time I was done, I was able to walk much more smoothly and it was such a nice day, I contemplated going for a walk outside! But, to behave, and not overdo it, I'll anticipate doing so tomorrow afternoon, when Mira will come to help us and ca take us to the riverfront park where there are benches regularly placed for me to plop my leg up on, to rest.

I heard from a dear yoga teacher-friend, too, and she is offering to set up a meal-train for us! I was not familiar with this service, but I get information to her about our food needs, our dietary likes and dislikes, and a list of friends to contact and days we need food and folks can sign up to do meals for us, or bring us certain kinds of things. How cool! So, gotta get on that, as it will help Dan and I both not overdo...
 
I live in a 55+ community and when I had my surgery one of my friends arranged for our friends to bring us meals for at least a week or so. It was a welcome surprise! My husband could cook great breakfast food, which always works for dinner, but he was a bit limited with dinner food. They brought tons more food than we needed, so in the freezer the extra went and we enjoyed ziti for quite a while!
 
Sending positive energy your way @BBCG. Your energy and attitude are inspiring.

I too love my mornings filled with birdsong from outside. I live in AZ and enjoy seeing Gambal Quail parades in my yard with babies. Enjoying simple pleasures each day during recovery is key!
 
Oh, I'd love to watch the Gambel's Quail babies! I visited AZ a number of years ago and loved seeing the birds there...camped one night in a campground where a fellow had placed a lawn chair on the roof of his car, bungeed down tight, and up there he sat filming hummingbirds at the feeder he had placed on the campsite picnic table! So many wonderful birds, so diverse and so many different from ours up north here... sadly, I didn't get my husband down there before his eyesight was damaged by chemo, but who knows! Maybe we'll get there yet!
 
Well, Happy Mother’s Day to all of you who nurture others, whether other humans, young or elder, or creatures great and small!

I am fortunate to have my daughter and her family in town, and they will be coming this afternoon for my son-in-law to use our grill to cook his masterpieces with my granddaughter’s help....they’re the cooks and bakers of the family! I’ll get to watch the granddaughter, who’s a competitive gymnast, play with the puppy, from soccer (the ball is much larger than the pup, but the enthusiasm is there!) to general running and chasing. I can be out on the patio with my new-knee leg up...

This recovery is so much easier than number 1... not sure what I did to deserve it, but no complaints here. At PT on Friday I did their slow stepper device to warm up the knee and I think it feels great: just a wee bit of stretch with the good-stretch feeling and no pressure to go beyond the good feel! Afterwards she had me stand on a rocking platform snd control the rocking degree myself, with her support behind me... and then she measured my bend and I was at 85 degrees! Woo-hoo!! I know it’s not likely to last but it was cool to get it there, even if only once this month! It shows I’ll come out on the other side with a much better bend than I went in with.

And I asked the PT, as I know it’s early, if I could go out on a walk along one of our bike-pedestrian paths for a brief walk. I planned to walk from the car (our helper is driving as I’m not able to yet get the proper bend) to a little bench near the river, then I would wait there while my husband and our helper walk farther for him to get enough exercise? I love people-watching so I’d be happy just hanging out there for 20-30 minutes... once she knew the parameters, that it wasn’t really very far, she agreed it could be okay to do. So, we did that walk yesterday and it felt great! I didn’t overdo, focused on movement not speed, trying to walk as much through each step as I could. And it was a gorgeous day! Heard my first-of-year Western Tanager, though he didn’t show his feathered self! Great first walk with my new knee!

Happy Mother’s Day to all!
 
Sounds like a super report and a great day! Happy for you.
 
Keep up the great work on taking the pt safely. It must have been lovely to be out in nature and hear the birdies.
 
What a great way to spend Mother's Day - so glad you and the hubs were able to get out and enjoy some fresh air and nature. Your progress is so encouraging! Keep it up.
 
Thanks, Sistersinhim... I try to avoid repeating mistakes and I’m game to learn from others as well, I have to say!

I’ve been mulling over reasons this recovery has been so much easier, too. Is it preparation only? No; clearly not. I doubt I can attribute percentages of reasons but the mathematician that I’m really not kinda wants to try!

Today I called the anesthesiologists office to get copies of their records of my surgery, and was told how to gain access to them. I want to understand what was done differently on that end, because I know I had a spinal last time and none this time, and I know the anesthesiologist was doubting my accuracy in our pre-op meeting. But as we spoke in the operating room before I drifted off, he did verify that I was correct. Was the lack of drugged feeling this time partially a response to no spinal?

And I’ve only taken the Bonesmart-recommended medication duo: Tramadol and Tylenol. I had been given oxycidone last time, plus a muscle relaxer, plus Gabapentin for the nerve pain that I’m addressing with the magnesium gel this time. I was not able to get them to prescribe Tramadol until week 6 last time, my records show. I built a spreadsheet for each dose/day so I can look back if ever needed.

I hope perhaps my experience can help someone else down the road, because all of you were so wonderfully helpful to me last time and it was so empowering to know I could come here for support and encouragement!

This morning at PT we will remove my foam honeycomb dressing and the sheet of plastic wrap covering it! The plastic adhesive itches so I’m happy to have it gone. Underneath (I’ve been peeking) there are Steri-strips that I gather fall off slowly over the next week!
 
We seem so similar in our journey. I’m 2 weeks out. I also had a not so good experience with my RTKR. My left is going much better. Pain is more controlled with the Tramadol/Tylenol, I’m learning to stop worrying about my flexion and take things slow. I ended up with an MUA last time and am determined not to go that route this time. They pushed me way too much! They also didn’t let me elevate the bed in the hospital, it was locked, lol. I ordered the Magnesium gel I am hoping it will relieve the medial stabbing pain I’m having when I do my heel slides so I can hopefully do them and try to go a bit further then I can right now. we both move along nicely this time:dancy:
 

Staff online

Members online

Back
Top Bottom