TKR Amazingly better experience with knee #2!

Barbara,
Your posts are very informative and helpful. Thank you :) .
We also have been picking up our regular groceries at QFC and large ones from Costco through Instacart who deliver at home, since the pandemic.
When I had my 1st PT appointment on Friday, after seeing my walking, bending and extension, she told me that I can use cane at home and to some extent outside too. She also encouraged small outings every other day like going to bank [haven't visited one since last 25 years:heehee: since online banking started] or going to grocery store to pick up only one or two items. She said that it will remind my body getting in and out of car and other general movements. Well, I am planning to visit my daughter, grandson and son-in-law on Tuesday :tada:
 
Oh, good, Sandy! I'm glad they help others... I found that prior to this TKR i reviewed my notes from last time, and found it helpful to look back and what I could do when, too.

A short outing is best, as I so clearly discovered yesterday. My helper really isn't needed so much now, except for helping with shopping, I guess! Unless I use one of the carts, I suppose! But, haha, like you, I rarely go inside a bank any more! Use the drive-up window mostly, or online, and for right now, with my leg not liking standing still, I'd probably choose a really slow time for the bank that involved short standing periods only!

How close are your daughter, grandson and son-in-law? I loved my old neighborhood where my daughter and her family lived literally down my back yard! But, that house did not make sense for us any longer, so I moved last year to a smaller house, on a single level, which makes much better sense for us, given Dan's challenges. I do have a back yard and garden to care for now, unlike up there in the wild woods! So, hopefully will get my garden cart with wheels put together this weekend!
 
My daughter is just 25 minutes drive.
I love ramblers. My main living area is on single floor. The space also feels vast and open.
 
That’s how we do it at Walmart. Order online and they bring it out and load your car!
 
I also had my 2nd knee replacement on 5/20. Last one will be 6 years in Sept. I am also amazed by how much smoother this is going about 10 days out. I think I was better prepared physically and emotionally this time also. In those 5+ years my son became a PT and he hounded me on those pre surgical excericises. Ive also been told by many the robotic assist is less pain, swelling. Back then I had the femoral block and tourniquet on my leg. So I was in the bed with a catheter for 2 days, when that block wore off pain shot to a 10 and very difficult to get under control. I was in the hospital for 3 nights and went to rehab for 10 days. I think that was a good thing at that time. I did not make that choice with Covid.
5/20/21.. Surgery was at 9:30. Was given a nerve block in my thigh. Spinal in the OR. Woke up in recovery at 11:45 with pain maybe a 2. Was in my hospital room at 12:15 ordering lunch. PT came in at 2 and had me walk to bathroom and sit in a chair. My pain level has never reached more than a 5. I went home the next day. PT was at my house the following day. At my Wed visit my flexion was 100 and straight leg was a 3. I dreaded this 2nd surgery and put it off and suffered way to long. I hope I can help with positive feelings that even though this is no picnic, the advances have made it a much easier recovery.
 
Enjoyed reading your story of your 2nd knee. Mine is very similar story, still waiting for the other shoe to drop! Lol Obviously more soreness with the increase in excericises from PT. Glad you are doing so well!
 
Welcome, Luvmylab! A moderator will get your signature going. Congratulations on your new knee. Come here often for good advice and great support.
 
@Luvmylab, how about starting a thread of your own so you'll have a record of your recovery journey. Be sure and tell us about your knee surgery, when it was, what it was, and which knee it was.
Starting your own thread
 
@Luvmylab, how about starting a thread of your own so you'll have a record of your recovery journey.
@Luvmylab , I have started a recovery thread for you here:
Luvmylab's Recovery Thread

Just click on the blue writing and it will take you to your own thread, where you write about your recovery and we can offer you advice when necessary.
 
Hi Newmect! A rambler I think is a term for a single level home like a ranch but more open and updated? I guess I’ll go look up it’s technical definition though!
 
As far as driving goes last year when I had my RTKR done my OS said you have to be able to slam on the brakes in case a kid runs out or to avoid an accident. What I did was go to cemetery to test this I believe I was over six weeks out so don’t rush it you can hurt someone and yourself.
 
Gramalita98 (love your pen name here!), I love that you tested that in a cemetery! I suspect anything you'd bump into there wasn't living...or one hopes! I did try backing out and driving in, and going around our block where there are stop signs, and such, so I was very cautious before actually driving. (My car actually is electric and has regenerative braking, which means it automatically brakes when I take my foot off the "gas", making stopping much easier and slower over an expanse between cars.)
 
@BBCG Thank you! well my pain meds wore off which is why I am awake right now. Boy the body definitely lets you know!
Yes as far as the cemetery goes it’s a safe place to practice! I would imagine this time being the left knee I might be able to drive sooner. That’s awesome that you have that safety feature on your car. Take care!
 
So, update for week #7: I’ve been able to walk over a mile, still slowly, but without joining the ODIC! I was finally able to get down on the padded floor tonight to roll out my new knee leg inner thigh, because the various muscles on the medial side on my leg (inside) are super tight! I feel it from my foot all the way into my groin area, so I suspect I was compensating over the past 5 years sufficienntly that my leg strength on the inner side is seriously wackadoodle, and distorted from so much free compensation done automatically! Rolling it in my foam roller helped, and getting down was pretty easy. Though getting up is something else again!

I’m down to taking only two doses of Tylenol, and I’m trying to skip the evening dose tonight just use my CBD salve tonight!
 
I’m further along than you and I still wouldn’t be getting down on the floor so you are doing great! Hope you get along okay without the evening Tylenol dose!
 
Well, guess it’s not quite time for no nighttime dose! Tossed and turned and woke around 3am to the yowling of a cat outside the window then couldn’t get comfortable enough to go back to sleep so took a dose then plus put on some of the salve I use… that worked!
 
Hi BBCG: I enjoy your sense of humor. I'm 8 weeks post-op. Still icing, of course, but I've noticed that I forget to take Tylenol during the day and it doesn't seem to matter. I'm taking Tylenol PM at bedtime because I've been sleeping well and I don't want to wake up at 3 AM and wish that I'd taken it. :-)
 
Yup, I think I’ll try the other end of the day to not use it, too! That’s a better plan, fer sure! I don’t think my awakening was only the neighborhood cat!
 

Staff online

  • Layla
    Staff member since November 20, 2017

Members online

Back
Top Bottom