THR AMAB’s LHR Completes a Full Set

Post Op went well this afternoon. Dr pleased with the results so far. Will have another follow up in 4 weeks. Ok to drive, use cane as needed; plan to get back to the gym next week…..still no lap swimming for at least 2 more weeks; Incision is good, still some scabbing in a couple of spots. The pic below is a “new me’…:):)
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] AMAB’s LHR Completes a Full Set
    IMG_9271.jpeg
    22.9 KB · Views: 58
:yes!: a great update!
 
3 weeks out from surgery yesterday; seemed to turn a corner of sorts yesterday, seemed to have a bit more strength in my hip so walking was easier; still take it slow down our sloped driveway; got back to the gym on Monday and then again this am; treadmill walk at slow pace; then some strength training. I did a short walk Wednesday and then again yesterday; slowly increasing distance. Plenty of errands around the house since I’ve been out of action. Progress continues. I did ask about getting our annual flu shot and the case manager recommended I wait until after my next follow up with the surgeon on 10/25. I’ll be sure to ask then. Not much swelling other than a bit in my ankle but I’m sure that’s due to being on my feet more; Only meds at this point is the aspirin for blood clot prevention and iburprofen.
 
Oh, I forgot, in my 9/21 post I mentioned I was eating like a horse!!! Well, the scales confirmed this….up a few pounds; hopefully the increased activity will help getting the weight back where I prefer.
 
amab,
I gained almost 15 pounds after my surgery which is a lot cause I'm short. I love Friendly's chocolate almond chip ice cream & I used it to make me feel better! LOL! Guess I ate too much.
But in any case once I was up & doing more the weight came off & now I'm lighter than I was prior to surgery.
 
Well, maybe I’ve tried to do too much too soon? ODIC??? With the joint pain gone I’ve started getting back into my exercise routine (minus the swimming) and taking care of some fall maintenance here at the house. So, my hip muscles were very sore this am-skipped gym time. Helped some but sore again this evening. I’m wondering if I’m now using muscles that weren’t used as much due to the pre replacement pain? Couple that with the anterior approach to the replacement.

Will see how I feel in the am; may need to “rest” another day. Feeling my age tonight!!
:chinstroke:
 
4 weeks post surgery today; hips improved so walked today. Hope to start back swimming on Monday.
 
Yes, it really can be hard to find the right balance between doing enough and over doing it, @amab.

, my hip muscles were very sore this am-skipped gym time. Helped some but sore again this evening.
It's really important to listen to your body for cues and, when it complains that you've done too much, you need to back off for several days before slowly easing into the activity that caused the problem.

wondering if I’m now using muscles that weren’t used as much due to the pre replacement pain?
While that's a possibility, it's also likely that those muscles haven't yet recovered from the trauma of surgery. Take a look at this chart -- it makes it clear that at one month out you are still very early in recovery:

1652123217285.png
 
Happy One Month Anniversary!
I hope its a beautiful weekend in your neck of the woods.
Enjoy, amab!
@amab
 
Wow! It has been a month! Fortunately it went quickly without any set backs. Nice walks yesterday and today; area around the incision/scar is a bit tender….sensation of stinging. Assume that’s merely the healing process. Only meds at this point is the aspirin twice a day and ibuprofen as needed.
 
area around the incision/scar is a bit tender….sensation of stinging
Yes, you're right, it's part of the healing process.

Small sensory nerve fibers are cut with the incision. These nerve fibers run from the inside to the outside of the hip and cutting them causes the hip to feel numb after surgery. It is a temporary sensation that normally resolves over a period of six months to one year post op.

While healing you may experience sensations of tingling, pins and needles, itching, burning and even the feeling of a minor electrical shock. These are usually good signs that the nerves are spontaneously firing through the regeneration process.

Thanks for the update. You seem to be having a good recovery. May it only get better!
I hope you have a wonderful week! :)
 
Back to the pool today for the first time since surgery……hips were tight; shorter yardage obviously; will slowly rebuild stamina; see the surgeon a week from today.
 
Hi amab, Happy Saturday!
Go easy in the pool. It's very easy to overdo it in the water because of the buoyancy.
Start out slow with shorter sessions, gradually building over time. I'd hate to see you overdo it and land in the ODIC.
Thanks for sharing your recovery with us all. Best wishes for your appointment next Friday!
@amab
 
6 week post surgery visit today; x-rays confirmed the new hips are solid!! There’s a small difference in the size of femur implant from my left compared to my right hip; the surgeon had shared my X-rays with other colleagues.

X-rays of my knees were taken as well; ROM in my left one is much less than my right knee; will do a follow up in late January for the hips and my knee as well.

Very pleased with the outcome of the hip replacements!!!!
 
2 months today; have gotten back to my pre surgery distances for my swims and walks; took care to build back up to those slowly; just some tired legs and muscles but no hip pain!!
 
Great update! :happydance:
Wonderful to be at this milestone so soon and members will really be heartened by it!
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
You're doing great! Glad you're taking it slow and easy. Keep up the good work. :ok:
A great rest of the week to you!
@amab
 
My new right hip is 6 months old today! No complaints with the hip at all; my left hip will be 3 months in another week;

I have developed some right knee pain; my best guess is an irritated IT band; the replacement of my right knee was the easiest of the two; so, since my hips are better and I’m back to full activities has that caused the very noticeable pain to the right of my kneecap?? I follow up with the surgeon next
month; I guess I’ll just put up with it til then.

Our neighbor just had a TKR revision yesterday; his original replacement was 10+ years; he stayed one night at the hospital; started rehab today. Hope my right knee is not headed down that road…..

Happy Holidays to all!!!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom