THR AMAB’s LHR Completes a Full Set

What a good recovery! It should be in fine shape to support you come September.
 
Got back to the gym this morning; treadmill for a short walk then some time on the strength machines; took it easy through the entire session; I can certainly feel results from the time away. Another couple of weeks before I can get back into the pool.
 
3 weeks post op today. The new hip feels great (now just putting up with the left hip….). My activities continue to increase; have walked/treadmill 5 days in a row so took a rest day today; rode our riding mower late yesterday; both hips were tight once finished; my incision is healing quite well but still too soon to get into the pool. I’ve scaled back on the meds, mainly taking ibuprofen and of
course, the daily aspirin that will continue at least until my 6 week follow up in July.

My best to all who are in the recovery process!!!!
 
Great news! You're doing very well, amab!
Thanks for sharing an update. Keep up the good work and stay in touch. We enjoy following your progress. :)
@amab
 
Happy One Month Anniversary, amab!
I hope you’re doing well and having a nice holiday weekend.
Stay in touch, we’d like to follow your progress for awhile. :)
@amab
 
Thank you for checking in!! I drove Wednesday -the first time since surgery; I’m able to do more in the yard and actually have a fence staining project I’ll start tomorrow. The incision is healed and I’ll plan to get back into the pool on Monday. I follow up with my surgeon on 7/15.

The muscles in my hip area are still a bit tight-nothing serious; I still tire a bit yet but expect that’ll improve with a little more time. My left hip reminds me why I had the right one replaced!!!! So much difference between how the two feel. I’m looking forward to my left hip replacement scheduled for early September……that’ll happen a few days before my 11th anniversary for my right knee replacement.
 
Last edited:
Finally made it back to the pool this am!! Managed 1200 yards…..about 1k fewer than I usually did before surgery; last swim was 5/15……
 
:egypdance:I am so very much enjoying each of your updates with their milestones!
 
Had my 6 week follow up with the surgeon this past Monday. He’s pleased with my progress! Told him my new hip feels great! We talked again about my left hip replacement scheduled for 9/9. The left one makes me appreciate how much better my new right hip feels. We did talk briefly about my limited range of motion in my left knee; he indicated he’d get some X-rays on my next visit.

Finished up a fence staining project on Sunday and it ended up being an ODIC event!! Not so much for the new hip but the left was very “unhappy”; the heat on Sunday was a challenge as well.

Managed to extend my time in the pool a bit more this am; still a slow process to get back to where I was before surgery.
 
Nice update! Thanks for sharing. Sorry you landed in the ODIC. I hope you're feeling better by now.
Recovery can be a slow process and since you're not even two months post op, I think you're doing really well.
Enjoy the rest of the week! :)
@amab
 
Happy Two Month Anniversary!
Have a great week and stay in touch. :)
@amab
 
Thank you!!

Already 2 months!! Wow…..right hip feels amazing; no issues at all; my left hip is now the problem; as mentioned previously, LHTR is scheduled for 9/9. I’m like a kid anticipating Christmas….so ready for that to happen!

Currently on a road trip, 9 hour drive went well. Back at the gym while home and still increasing my pool yardage….hit 2200 yards Monday…..

I’m fortunate that this replacement has gone smoothly; hoping the same for the next one in September.
 
I’m fortunate that this replacement has gone smoothly; hoping the same for the next one in September.

I just got my second last week and I'm so glad it's over. Just remember, every new joint is different. Possibly because this was my 'good' leg for so long and is stronger, this round hurts a lot more. On the other hand, Husband says I'm getting around much better, sooner.
 
Wonderful update and you don't have too long to wait until your next THR.
Fingers crossed your next recovery is as smooth as this one. Stay in touch and have a great day and weekend!
@amab
 
Surgeon has a scheduling conflict on 9/9 (his wife is due to deliver their 4th little one); moved it to 9/12 and an early am time slot rather than a 1:00pm start on 9/9……some other dates are also identified “just in case”….

My new right hip has been just fine….its the left one that has been very painful today. Good swim this am….perhaps I caused an “ODIC” result…..oh well….
 
Last edited:
Sorry you have to delay your surgery, @amab. But at least, it's only for a couple of days and you now have that highly desirable early morning time slot! :wink:

Keep us posted.
 
Happy Three Month Anniversary!
Only six days to go now until the Left THR. I hope you find many moments of comfort as you wait.
I will look forward to supporting you in your recovery.
@amab
 
@Layla…..thank you!!!

On Wednesday this past week, I took care of the preop labs/testing as scheduled. I saw the surgeon and his team yesterday for my preop visit/instructions; I also confirmed with the surgical center the date of my surgery (9/12)…..the surgeon’s staff will give me a call on the specific time to arrive for the procedure.

Yesterday’s visit was easy since it was essentially a repeat from June. The staff is great and very attentive. My wife and I really like this practice!!

I stopped any ibuprofen Wednesday and started Tylenol and Tramadol. I know I shouldn’t have but I skipped my bedtime meds and now I’m up with the pain. Doing some reading and decided to update my status here on the forum.

It seems as though the left hip is more and more painful, tougher to get around and hindering my ability to get things done. I have several things on my “to do” list before Thursday. I’ll just have to pace myself. I’ve already shortened up my walks and skipped gym time this past week. Decided to skip any pool laps just to eliminate any chance of coming down with something that’d delay surgery.

Up late/early reminds me of my TKR days…….I believe the LH replacement on Thursday will go as smoothly as the Right in June.

One great thing now is, college football is now in full swing so many games to watch as I recuperate from surgery.

Roll Tide!!!!!
 

Members online

No members online now.
Back
Top Bottom