Guest viewing is limited

TKR Am I really going to do this? Randi's new recovery thread

Lindsay is sitting with her leg all propped up and I'm about to jump on the exercise bike. Aren't we a pair? It's like we're training for the Olympics. Well, I guess we are, training for the Olympics called "the rest of our lives". Hope we do well.
 
How long and how often do you go on the exercise bike Randi. I am up to 3 times a day five minutes at a time. Hoping to progress on that this week, but not sure what the recommended time is.
 
I think that's good Pat. I just do once a day for 10-15 minutes. I could do more but it's so boring! Also, you can increase the resistance a little and that builds more strength. My friend who is a physical therapist says the bike is the #1 best thing you can do for your knee. Pretty soon I will try my bike outside :yikes: I have a gym membership but haven't gone since Lindsay's TKR and my flu, four weeks now. At heart, I am a lazy bum.
 
You both will because your attitudes are great and that is a major factor! Congratulations on running down the stairs...makes me have hope. I am still at the slowly with concentration, foot over foot stage.
 
Thanks,nm, you'll do great. "In the fullness of time" as they say. I'm still a work in progress (thank goodness).
 
Yes.... Thank goodness.... I would hate to think that this is as good as it gets.... a couple good days:happydance: and a couple not so good days.:groan: Still they are all better than the constant pain and grinding and instability of the old knee.:gaah:
The sun has just peeked out and promises a better day... I will be in the garden this afternoon... and change the straw in the chicken's nests. It is nice to get busy again. I want to be running the stairs again soon too. I am still doing stairs more slowly, more for the bad knee than the new knee, but I don't kneed to drag myself up with the railing any more.... progress.:thumb:
Oh I can't stand it .....:SUNsmile: Sunshine!!!! I have to go. :dancy: Glad you are doing so well .... hugs to Lindsey too. Later!:snork:
 
My knee is now working better than it has in 33 years! I blew my knee in 1980 skiing and tore the ACL. So in one sense, I'm lucky in that I don't have arthritis in other joints, so I think that's made my recover easier. The old knee was just so wobbly. I could be standing motionless and-boom!-I'd be on the ground. My new knee is so stable. So life is good. We've had two days of sun here-woohoo! :happydance:
 
:goodpost: What a good post to wake up to Randi. So pleased you are happy with your new knee. I guess it made a difference not being so arthritic but must have been awful having such an unpredictable wobbly knee. And you got sunshine as well. Way to go. Happy Days:yay:
 
I hear you.... I feel exactly the same way! :iagree:
I blew out the muscles in my knees at different stages of my life. Playing street sports as a kid, arobics classes in my 20's/30's, and even dancing.... a careless step sideways would land me on the ground.... then I started driving truck. I had 3 major muscle blow outs that took 6 weeks to get back to work and a couple minor ones that I managed to work through. As well, there was the stress of pulling 2000 lb pallets around the truck and warehouse on a daily basis that did not help.(not to mention climbing up and down into the back of the truck and the cab ) The last few years have been a challenge.
I think part of my great flex right after surgery was due to the years of climbing I did on the trucks.... (I quit 15 years ago). I have gradually not been able to climb up on things leading up to my pre surgery state where stairs were a challenge and a hand rail was a necessity.(Oh god don't make me get up from the floor...:rolleyes: ) I am soooooo happy with my new stable knee. You are lucky not to have the artheritis problem. I am on a mission to get the other done before it is as totaly unstable as the right one was.... it is not so far behind. It is already reminding me not to trust it as the new knee gets better. New knee :happydance: and bad knee:groan: !!!!
 
Oh... I did not get out in the sun yesterday. :sad: But I got the sink installed in my ensuite !!!! :yay: Rob was supposed to get it done while I was in the hospital..... and then when I first got home.... :hairpulling: That was 4 months ago! My friends wonder why I am so good at doing things myself.... hellllooooo, it is the only way things get done!!!! :wink:
 
Randi, I am glad to find your recent posts. My RTKR was a week before yours (yours was on my birthday!), so I am looking for updates on how my "cohort" is doing. Loved your story about running down the steps! I've been experiencing twinges and tightness in my knee lately, but overall, I'm doing great. I need to get better at icing, though. I stopped being consistent after I went back to work in early January.
 
Hi Terry. Somehow I missed you in my cohort, there are so many people on Bonesmart. I'm doing well I think. I get sore if I do a lot and I really should be icing too, but it's easy to drop it in the busyness of life. I still feel pretty tired in the afternoons and take a nap most days. Does that happen to you? Maybe working would prevent that. I used to always say,"working is eating into my free time". I'm glad to hear you're doing well too. I'm going to hop overm and see your thread.
 
Randi, I do not nap in the afternoons after I get home from work, and I did not even when I first returned to work. I have a great deal of difficulty napping during the day, so even early on I would lie down to get my leg up, but never slept. Wish I could have! But what did happen was that at the end of the week the tiredness would zap my like a ton of bricks and I would have a great deal of trouble doing anything on the weekend. It is much better although I still am tired at the end of the week, but I notice that after 2-3 hours of rest I am OK and get up and do things, as opposed to resting the whole weekend! I am glad you hear things are going well and getting better!
 
Hi Randi. It's validating for me to hear that you get sore if you do a lot. It's just good to have some benchmarks of what is normal at this stage of the game. I don't get too tired; once I returned to work and my regular routine, I've been sleeping pretty well at night. I've never been a good napper anyway. I love your comment about work eating into free time, though!
 
Hi randi, it was nice to hear from you as you said its dfficult when we dont get alerts and the boards seem full of the newbies and its hard to find people if they havent posted for a while. So pleased you are making a good recovery, hope Lindsay is recovering well too. It seems such a long time since the op but at other times it seems like yesterday. I have my good and bads days like everyone but I must say I am looking forward to the summer months when hopefully we will be able to get about better and start enjoying our time outside instead of sitting every ten minutes to recover. Sending you lots of hugs Take Care x x x
 
So well put!!!! It's all relative! I am in mourning about not being able to do a 5k again, but Randi, you are running down the stairs, a really really big deal. And I am walking without a gimp for the first week since my last surgery. It's all up from here!!!!!
 
I am doing well but still stiff at times and sore if I ride the exercise bike. I had the flu after Lindsay's TKR and am still not fully recovered from that...five weeks! Lindsay is feeling puny, she is down to 130 #, at 5'10". That is too skinny. I am the sme height and weigh 60# more! We have been feeling a bit like little old ladies. I got my hair cut today and that feels good.
 
Trying again to post this.
 

Attachments

  • [Bonesmart.org] Am I really going to do this?  Randi's new recovery thread
    image.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 165
Back
Top Bottom